THE BROWNS BOARD

Thanksgiving anecdotes

The Gipper

pumpkin pie - follow the recipe on the LIbby's pure pumpkin can - except add a 1/4 tsp more of your favorite spices, I don't like ginger, so I don't add more of that. And, depending, add a good bit more sugar, depending on how sweet you want it. It makes a pie so good, I can't stand much pumpkin pie bought anywhere, almost, or at any restaurant.

btw, we went to the Dutch Valley restaurant out in Amish country, near Sugarcreek? The coconut cream pie was ...

magnificent.  Unbelievably awesome. The chocolate cream pie was ok, but the coconut cream pie was ...wow.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Do the Browns still give away free turkeys to rookies? That was always fun to read about

I don't know if the Browns still pull the Turkey prank:  

Edit:  Sorry, don't know why it came out like that on here.  That is not the way it was on the link.

Turkey nicknameEdit

Turkey Jones was a defensive end for the Browns in the early 1970s. He earned his nickname during his rookie season at Thanksgiving. The veterans always played a trick on the rookies, sending them off to distantfarms to get "free turkeys" for the holiday. Jones never caught on, and continued the futile search for hours. The next year, the vets did it to the rookies, and Jones, again. That's how Turkey got hisnickname.[citation needed] Jones wasn't as gullible on the field, however. By the end of his rookie season, he had worked his way into the starting lineup, but a knee injury sidelined him in 1972. Cleveland traded him to the Philadelphia Eagles in 1974, but he was cut the next year, and he re-signed with Cleveland.

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know if the Browns still pull the Turkey prank:

Turkey nicknameEdit

Turkey Jones was a defensive end for the Browns in the early 1970s. He earned his nickname during his rookie season at Thanksgiving. The veterans always played a trick on the rookies, sending them off to distantfarms to get "free turkeys" for the holiday. Jones never caught on, and continued the futile search for hours. The next year, the vets did it to the rookies, and Jones, again. That's how Turkey got hisnickname.[citation needed] Jones wasn't as gullible on the field, however. By the end of his rookie season, he had worked his way into the starting lineup, but a knee injury sidelined him in 1972. Cleveland traded him to the Philadelphia Eagles in 1974, but he was cut the next year, and he re-signed with Cleveland.

Yep, forgot about that one. I keep a Wild Turkey in a bottle just in case someone should come looking. I don’t think even the fleetest of the Browns could run down the ones out back.   
  Plus it was a good way for the guys to bond as a team. Screw that putt putt or bowling. 

8 minutes ago, Gorka said:

When I think of Browns and Thanksgiving.

Sigh.

cowboys.png

Chuck Heaton and Hal Lebovitz. Wow.

cowboys2.png

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2016/11/3_times_browns_fans_had_thanks.html

One game....63 years ago?  

I personally have absolutely NO problem with the fact that the Browns have rarely ever played on Thanksgiving.  It would always be an away game it seems in either Dallas or Detroit, and I think they have never won on T-day.  So, to hell with the Browns playing on Thanksgiving. 

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/11/23/cleveland-browns-thanksgiving-infrequent/

And....looking at that paper you posted....did Paul Brown name the Cincinnati Bengals after the Benedictine HS team?  (Maybe Chuck Noll told him to do it that way)

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Buttermilk pie with a healthy dose of nutmeg sprinkled/baked on top. But I like the Libby's pumpkin pie cal mentioned as well. Cinnamon helps it a lot.👍

🤑🤑