THE BROWNS BOARD

Superbowl Traditions?

Kvoethe

Mine currently is playing poker all day with a buncha retirees from lordstown.  The games they play are hilarious.  So many versions of bingo, jacks or better etc. 

nice spread of food and a little 19 inch flatscreen to watch the game.

been going on 15 years of playing.  I will keep going till the browns are there or we start droppin.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

This is the 42nd year in a row I'll be not watching the Browns in the Super Bowl, so there's that. Tradition, indeed.

Well for me it will be 52 and counting, hopefully not forever. 

I do remember when the Super Bowl was a bigger deal....a few decades ago.....now more like another football Sunday, generally something special to eat occasionally friends stop by depending on everyone's schedule. 

I did have a few old memories of very crowded bars and clubs, loads of food and beer not so much now more like private small deals.

For the first 15+ or so super bowls or so a friend and I used to go to a small quiet family run bar on the west side of Youngstown Stanley's (gone now I believe) up from the mills (gone) to have the BEST hotdogs and homemade sauerkraut, chips, etc. and watch the pregame which were highlights of prior super bowls. We'd  then leave at halftime and head generally to the IFH in Girard, Ohio for the second half and the  crowded party.

I've done the huge game parties at halls but don't prefer them......you can't see or hear the game.

So have your super-duper bowl game festivities changed over the years? Any plans for Super Bowl 60? :lol:

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

11?

Actually 10 winning 7. .    46/47/48/49/50/51/52/53/54/55.  I was thinking that he was also in the 1957 title game, but he was not.  Milt Plum and Tommy O'Connell share time in that game.   Not sure which one started.....neither played worth shite.

Passing, Rushing, & Receiving

Passing Rushing Receiving Fumbles
Player Tm Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Lng Rate Att Yds TD Lng Rec Yds TD Lng Fmb FL
Milt Plum CLE 5 12 51 0 2 0 0 18 14.9 3 46 0 20 0 0 0 0 0  
Tommy O'Connell CLE 4 8 61 0 2 0 0 19 35.9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Actually 10 winning 7. .    46/47/48/49/50/51/52/53/54/55.  I was thinking that he was also in the 1957 title game, but he was not.  Milt Plum and Tommy O'Connell share time in that game.   Not sure which one started.....neither played worth shite.

Passing, Rushing, & Receiving

Passing Rushing Receiving Fumbles
Player Tm Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Lng Rate Att Yds TD Lng Rec Yds TD Lng Fmb FL
Milt Plum CLE 5 12 51 0 2 0 0 18 14.9 3 46 0 20 0 0 0 0 0  
Tommy O'Connell CLE 4 8 61 0 2 0 0 19 35.9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Oh good - I thought I had lost my mind or something! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh good - I thought I had lost my mind or something! :lol:

• Give it time you will. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The '57 game was a massacre...

The Lions have absolutely owned the Browns since they entered the NFL to today. Weird, considering how mediocre they've been for almost that entire time period post-1950s

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Lions have absolutely owned the Browns since they entered the NFL to today. Weird, considering how mediocre they've been for almost that entire time period post-1950s

Yes, very weird.  As I have noted previously....it was never the Steelers that became the Browns primary rivalry until like the late 60s. It was always the Lions....based on meeting up in 4 NFL title games.  Beyond that, as the crow flies, Cleveland and Detroit are actually closer than Cleveland and Pittsburgh from a geographical standpoint.  Driving miles is a bit longer due to the necessity of going around the west end of Lake Erie...but that WAS the rivalry.. The Browns move to the AFC put a dagger in the heart of that rivalry.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, very weird.  As I have noted previously....it was never the Steelers that became the Browns primary rivalry until like the late 60s. It was always the Lions....based on meeting up in 4 NFL title games.  Beyond that, as the crow flies, Cleveland and Detroit are actually closer than Cleveland and Pittsburgh from a geographical standpoint.  Driving miles is a bit longer due to the necessity of going around the west end of Lake Erie...but that WAS the rivalry.. The Browns move to the AFC put a dagger in the heart of that rivalry.

Also the NY Giants, had a good rivalry from the get-go in 1950 with them into the early 60s...

It's probably a good thing the Browns aren't in the NFC North considering their track record with the Lions AND the Packers. :lol: 

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I remember my first color TV was a 21 inch Sony and I thought it was Shmucking huge.

In my apartment while going to school a used B&W 19" piece o junk. In my first house after graduation a Magnavox 21" color set we played PONG on......big stuff!

Archived