THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy says.....

Mudfly

Generally true- but teams manage to stay on top with astute drafting, good FA player acquisition, and good coaching. Patriots, Steelers. Their "down" years are usually around 8-8. Or do teams like the Falcons and Panthers following a good\great season "tank" to 6-10 to get a high pick?

You don't have to go 0-16 or 1-15 to rebuild- not if you're smart. The way the Browns dismantled the 2015 team is totally unprecedented in NFL history, you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Well I wrote a whole thing and closed out by mistake so I'm giving the the TLDR here...

However, the teams you're talking about all have elite franchise QB's. Take a look at the top 5 of the draft-notice a theme (remembering the Titans got their pick from the Rams)? I'm fine with every player they let go outside of Schwartz. Literally every other player we didn't sign or otherwise let go were below average veterans that MAYBE resulted in another win or two this season. I'm not sure how "unprecedented" it was to purge the level we did, but again who did we let go (seriously) in your opinion that was mistake? What guy (and we know Mack was out the door so don't give me that) was the dude that broke the camel's back. I can't say I'm missing Gipson and his pro-bowl season (not) or Benjamin/Gabriel when we objectively got a better season statistically from a dude who suffered through 5 QB's and played the position himself.

This organization needed the doors blown off, at least IMO, to finally get out of this perpetual 4-12, 5-11 crap we've suffered through seemingly every year. That's exactly what happened and we developed quite a few guys in the process. As I've said several times now, I get the apprehension, shit I feel the same way. But if this season was going to be a downer, I'm glad it was a total reboot as opposed to muddling in the below average. The night is darkest before dawn and all that jazz.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the Colts record the year before they got Andrew Luck?

Realize there is a difference in that we actually demolish the team to the point that it couldn't win 2 games while the Colts were actively sandbagging.

We also may have miscalculated thinking that there would be a player at the top of the draft that would be worth drafting or worth Trading for many picks.

But before the plan was put in motion there was no way to tell that. At that time people were assuming Watson = Luck.

WSS

What was the Colts record the year before they got Andrew Luck?

Realize there is a difference in that we actually demolish the team to the point that it couldn't win 2 games while the Colts were actively sandbagging.

We also may have miscalculated thinking that there would be a player at the top of the draft that would be worth drafting or worth Trading for many picks.

But before the plan was put in motion there was no way to tell that. At that time people were assuming Watson = Luck.

WSS

Thank you Steve.....this Colts comparison drives me crazy....cause there is NO comparison.....

Here is their record leading up to and after the Luck pick.....

13 - 3

12 - 4

14 - 2

10 - 6

2 - 14

11 - 5

11 - 5

11 - 5

So...no....they didnt strip their team bare of players......they just won won won....then tanked....and went right back to winning.....

And if we MUST compare the Browns to the Colts....and say it's the same.....then I will be anticipating 3 immediate 11 win seasons,,,,,

Thank you Steve.....this Colts comparison drives me crazy....cause there is NO comparison.....

Here is their record leading up to and after the Luck pick.....

13 - 3

12 - 4

14 - 2

10 - 6

2 - 14

11 - 5

11 - 5

11 - 5

So...no....they didnt strip their team bare of players......they just won won won....then tanked....and went right back to winning.....

And if we MUST compare the Browns to the Colts....and say it's the same.....then I will be anticipating 3 immediate 11 win seasons,,,,,

Yeah- they were the beneficiaries of "Suck for Luck" or does Irsay have a deal with the devil to go from Manning straight to another franchise qb?

"Tank for Trubiski" doesn't have the same ring. Andy was a three year starter with incredible stats.

Yup... no comparison... but they didn't have to "strip their team bare" did they?

Here's their 10-6, 2010 starting squads with number of starts in parentheses:

4th-ranked Offense: 25 turnovers

QB Peyton Manning (16) 4700 yards

RB Donald Brown (8) 497 yards - Joseph Addai (7) 495 yards

WR Pierre Garcon 784 yards - Reggie Wayne 1,355 yards, 6 td TE Dallas Clark (6) 347 yards

LT Charlie Johnson (15) LG Kyle DeVan (12) C Jeff Saturday (16) RG Mike Pollak (13) RT Ryan Diem (16)

23rd-ranked Defense: 21 takeaways

DE Dwight Freeney DE Robert Mathis LDT Fili Moala RDT Daniel Muir

MLB Gary Brackett LB Pat Angerer LB Kavell Conner

LCB Kelvin Hayden RCB Jerraud Powers SS Aaron Francisco FS Antoine Bethea

And their 2-14, 2011 starters:

28th-ranked Offense: 29 turnovers

QB Curtis Painter (8) 1,541 yards - Dan Orlovsky (5) 1201 yards - Kerry Collins (3) 481 yards

RB Joseph Addai (11) 433 yards - Donald Brown (2) 645 yards

WR Pierre Garcon (16) 947 yards - Reggie Wayne (16) 960 yards TE Dallas Clark (10) 352 yards

LT Anthony Castonzo (12) LG Joe Reitz (9) C Jeff Saturday (16) RG Ryan Diem (11) RT Jeff Linkenbach (16)

28th-ranked Defense: 17 takeaways

DE Dwight Freeney* DE Robert Mathis LDT Fili Moala RDT Antonio Johnson

MLB Pat Angerer LB Kavell Conner LB Philip Wheeler

LCB Jacob Lacey RCB Jerraud Powers SS David Caldwell FS Antoine Bethea

Bottom line:

They were a team that had to outscore their opponent and they suddenly lost their "scoring machine". That wasn't "tanking" per se.

What they did do was hold out their medically cleared QB for the final three games (IIRC) in an attempt to seal the Luck deal... and even then they nearly blew it when Orlovsky woke up and won two of their last three.

Now... did we strip out team bare? I say no, we did not.

Archived