THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Mahomo

DKAllDay

Mahomes is far from an UDFA project. :) If you think Mel Kiper's opinion is worth anything, here's how he has the potential qb class ranked right now.

1. *Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina

2. *Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech

3. *Deshaun Watson, Clemson

4. **DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

5. *Brad Kaaya, Miami (Fla.)

6. *Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

7. *Luke Falk, Washington State

8. **Wilton Speight, Michigan

9. **Clayton Thorson, Northwestern

10. *Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

I stopped at 'Mel Kipers opinion'.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We never get our 1st round picks correct doing it the browns way, so I say just pick whoever the "experts" say is #1. So I like Kipers view, pick Trubisky.

Guy who gets paid to do it vs internet guy B)

While Mel's opinion isn't absolute I put some stock in what he has to say.

I put stock in the opinion of anyone that gets paid to evaluate talent. Far better than my homer opinion, even though Kiper has my homer pick ranked as the top QB.

I put stock in the opinion of anyone that gets paid to evaluate talent. Far better than my homer opinion, even though Kiper has my homer pick ranked as the top QB.

Mel's been wrong plenty of times, I always love to point out his memorable mmmmuuuuussssttt draft Hart Lee Dyes (by the Patriots) no less, and turned into a monumental bust. 1,300 yards and 7 tds for their first round investment.

That said, he's been above average lately calling the first round. But he (and plenty of other) paid draftnicks are ignoring as sure as the sun comes up in the morning qbs always shoot up draft boards. Um, no one even had Wentz in the first round this time last year, and he went #2 overall. If he has Mitch as low- mid first round now- he's top ten, and probably top 5 come April. Book it.

Guy who gets paid to do it vs internet guy B)

While Mel's opinion isn't absolute I put some stock in what he has to say.

Again, Kiper had Jimmy fucking Clausen as his #1 overall draft prospect once.

I like my track record against both he and McShay. They're TV personalities, nothing more.

By your logic, skip bayless has your ear because "he gets paid". No?

He also compared JaMarcus Russell to John Elway, said Ricky Stanzi and Blaine Gabbert were going to be more successful than Cam Newton, ripped the Colts for taking Faulk over Schuler and Dilfer. He's not that great of an evaluater.

Thanks for the refresher- my memory is going in my advanced age. :)

I like my track record against both he and McShay. They're TV personalities, nothing more.

It's also largely the reason we rode one of our old time prolific posters Shepwrite out of here on a rail (he posts on the other board now) for sucking on the Clausen pickle (as well as Joey Harrington) long after it was conclusively proven they were monumental busts. He's hanging on Garropolo's schlong now- nuff' said.

Ha, ain't it strange all the Johnny Football pumpers have either left, or changed their tune?

By your logic, skip bayless has your ear because "he gets paid". No?

And the Raiders front office had Russell, Chargers had Leaf #2, etc. Guys getting paid to evaluate talent miss all the time. Kiper and McShay primarily review college football tape, Bayless, Paige, Wilbon, etc are sports personalities. But being so informed you get the distinction.

It's also largely the reason we rode one of our old time prolific posters Shepwrite out of here on a rail (he posts on the other board now) for sucking on the Clausen pickle (as well as Joey Harrington) long after it was conclusively proven they were monumental busts. He's hanging on Garropolo's schlong now- nuff' said.

Ha, ain't it strange all the Johnny Football pumpers have either left, or changed their tune?

Not yet. Still waiting on a sober JM to try again. Nothing worse than talent diving in a bottle.

And the Raiders front office had Russell, Chargers had Leaf #2, etc. Guys getting paid to evaluate talent miss all the time. Kiper and McShay primarily review college football tape, Bayless, Paige, Wilbon, etc are sports personalities. But being so informed you get the distinction.

Whom do they review footage for? The same company that pays Bayless. Kiper and McShay just try to sound a little more in-depth. Connect with the average joe. They don't scout for any team I'm aware of. Do they pour over tape? Highly doubtful. Because there's no fucking way you call Clausen your #1 overall pick, then he drops several rounds only to be a career 3rd stringer. The disconnect from reality is incredible at that point.

Not yet. Still waiting on a sober JM to try again. Nothing worse than talent diving in a bottle.

Have to have an NFL skillset before you piss it away.

time to move on as our A&M special agent again. Myles Garrett may declare as Mild Buurrrrrett... can we rebuild him with a warm AG Hoodie?

time to move on as our A&M special agent again. Myles Garrett may declare as Mild Buurrrrrett... can we rebuild him with a warm AG Hoodie?

I have warmed up to Allen as our 1st choice since I think we beat the Steelers this weekend. Garrett goes to SF and we should get one of the other quality speed rushers as a our 2nd #1 so our D becomes a power that gets us in the playoffs. Find a true center in round 2 along with one of those QB's for the T-shirt.

And pay our mid-season steal from NE (or franchise him). He's our best D player on the field.

I have warmed up to Allen as our 1st choice since I think we beat the Steelers this weekend. Garrett goes to SF and we should get one of the other quality speed rushers as a our 2nd #1 so our D becomes a power that gets us in the playoffs. Find a true center in round 2 along with one of those QB's for the T-shirt.

And pay our mid-season steal from NE (or franchise him). He's our best D player on the field.

You don't think the 49ers want a quarterback? I would think they would be dying to shitcan that blight on the league they have now.

WSS

SF needs a QB, but they also have a lot of other needs. I would not be shocked to see them trade down as we did last year.

As for Kiper... he's entertaining in a fashion. He stirs up interest and conversation. That's his primary job. I've little doubt he watches more tape in a year than I do in a decade.... maybe two. Plus he talks to coaches, scouts, mascots, whatever to help form his opinions... and in the end that's all they are.

Personally I like/value McShay's takes more. Seem to have more depth... and a lot less attitude. Ditto Mayock whose OL evaluations I particularly like.

Go to the play at 2:40. Are you kidding me?

I know arm talent isn't everything (Brandon Weeden) but talk about a guy who's throws could cut through Cleveland's December winds. Big, mobile, durable and accurate too. Yes, he'd have to learn to call plays in the huddle and work on his footwork.. However Marcus Mariota and Derek Carr came from similar offenses and had to make the adjustments to the NFL and have.

Go to the play at 2:40. Are you kidding me?

I know arm talent isn't everything (Brandon Weeden) but talk about a guy who's throws could cut through Cleveland's December winds. Big, mobile, durable and accurate too. Yes, he'd have to learn to call plays in the huddle and work on his footwork.. However Marcus Mariota and Derek Carr came from similar offenses and had to make the adjustments to the NFL and have.

It's shocking that he was able to evade that feared LA Tech pass rush and find the open guy against the shutdown LA Tech secondary. He has my vote.

It's shocking that he was able to evade that feared LA Tech pass rush and find the open guy against the shutdown LA Tech secondary. He has my vote.

The throw, bud. That's an incredibly difficult throw, running to his right 50+ yds on a dime. Yes, thereceiver was wide open, but show me another current college QB who can make that throw.

(I'd say Josh Allen from Wyoming could, but he's probably not declaring this year)

Jamarcus and Cardale both made that throw.....over and over again.....

They also had character and weight issues.

Show me where Mahomes has been arrested, failed a drug test or came into camp fat?

This guy has the elite arm talent of a Jamarcus Russell or Cardale Jones without the baggage.

Count me in. Personally? I think he's the best qb in this draft. I just don't think he lasts past round 1. If we miss an opportunity to get him, the Browns will have fucked up yet again. That is, if he declares.

I think it's between him and Mitch. Thing is, if we want Mitch we're going to have to get him #1 overall.

We could potentially pick up 2 solid players in the first round, and get Mahomes at the top of the 2nd.

They also had character and weight issues.

Show me where Mahomes has been arrested, failed a drug test or came into camp fat?

This guy has the elite arm talent of a Jamarcus Russell or Cardale Jones without the baggage.

I wasn't aware Cardale had weight issues ore routinely downed some lean...? Oh, that's right. He didn't.

As for Mahomes... good God is his accuracy just everywhere.

The throw, bud. That's an incredibly difficult throw, running to his right 50+ yds on a dime. Yes, thereceiver was wide open, but show me another current college QB who can make that throw.

(I'd say Josh Allen from Wyoming could, but he's probably not declaring this year)

Josh Allen, DeShone Kizer, possibly Brad Kaaya, and Mitch Trubisky could make that throw 7 out of 10 times. It wasn't that spectacular. I can, and have, made a similar throw...and I was a left tackle. (Granted, my movement was a littler slower than his.)

It was "on a dime" because he had 140 square yards of space to work with. The closest defender was 10 yards behind the receiver, there was no overtop coverage (because it busted) and Mahomes initiated the throw when the receiver was still five yards outside of the endzone, slightly left of center around the hash. That's not necessarily on a dime, that's dropping the ball on a wide landing zone. I'd take this throw any day of the week over that one - https://youtu.be/5GpDbvLQYJQ?t=6m51s. Those are the money throws - putting the ball in a spot where only your receiver can get it. Not dropping it on a quarter of the field and having your receiver drop underneath it.

Rolling against your body adds a slight bit of difficulty but he was moving at half speed and was able to open his hips enough to generate torque, so it wasn't all arm. I'm not denying Mahomes is an easy thrower....but that throw was nothing that screams "franchise QB". Jamarcus made that throw 100 times in college. Kyle Boller did too. Shit, Manziel did too.

Archived