THE BROWNS BOARD

Bowl Game Skippin'... What Say Ye?

Tour2ma

The stigma around skipping a bowl game is perpetuated by bowl executives and no one else. Minor bowls matter little, especially to prestigious schools or ranked programs. A Sun Bowl victory does nothing for Stanford and nothing for McCaffery.

As for the money aspect...the guy's dad played in the NFL for 13 years and both of his parents are Stanford grads. It ain't about the money.

It's about not getting drafted by a shit team. He's in a perfect situation - 2nd or 3rd best RB in a top heavy class and slotted as a mid to late first. He's going to go to a team that is either in need of a RB to get them over the hump or a team that is already great. No doubt he's looking at the Patriots, Giants, and Seahawks as possible landing spots, which is a damn sight better than the Browns, 49ers or Jaguars.

With the new CBA, it's about the second contract...not the first. McCaffery won't need top 15 money due to his familial wealth, but he's already in a position to earn a Super Bowl ring in his first contract and then leverage that into a big $$$ second contract.

I have no issue with the two major players (Fournette and McCaffrey) not playing. Both of their teams under-performed this year. Both have enough tape for scouts. They honestly have nothing to gain by playing in a meaningless bowl game.

Now if a prospect who was lacking tape, playing for a major bowl and/or championship decided not to play, then I'd consider having an issue.

they both were also injured this year which could have a lot to do with it

Still very cool to see Tressel and Pelini taking the team to the big game. They'll make their money more ways than one

Getting into the National Championship Game well before Christmas has been a blessing for the Athletic Department, book stores and others selling YSU merchandise. The suppliers are working around the clock now fulfilling orders.

Other benefits will come in 2017 in recruiting, ticket sales, more merchandise sales all help in rebuilding a football dynasty.

Plus the #1 and #2 seeds are out this year, YSU was unseeded. After Tressel left the Penguins made the playoffs ONCE in the following 10 seasons...pitiful.

GO PENGUINS!

If these guys were sitting out of playoff games, that's a diff story. Sitting out of meaningless bowl games where opposing players have been seen over the years to try to take out draft prospects, how can anyone blame them? Anyone seen Jaylon Smith this year? Yeah, case closed. This shit happens. We were talking about possibly drafting Smith, if we had landed him sans his injury it's very likely he'd be amongst our leading tacklers if not "THE" leading tackler. He'd be the best LB prospect the Browns have drafted since before they came back. That kid was the real deal.

oh fuck that white rb's never make it in the NFL

I wouldn't use him strictly as a RB though. Not too many guys coming out have this kids athleticism. But we're not gonna end up with him so it doesn't matter...first two picks have to address major needs. If somehow he slips to the 2nd....well we'll talk then.

Used to be that the coach decided who played and who didn't.

Now, the players tell the coaches and teams whether they feel like playing today or not because I'll get more money by not playing.

Next logical progression of that attitude is that the star players will ONLY play in the two to three BIG games of the season.

"I can't risk my draft position and multi-million dollar contract by playing against teams with losing records."

Or, "I'll only play against top 10 ranked teams."

Then the NEXT, next logical progression...

"I'll ONLY play against teams whose analytics show I can run up my personal stats, thereby making my analytics drive my draft position and contract to the highest it can be."

but were are not talking about him and they also play a different position

They are gunshy because of Jalen Smith and he didn't play their position either. Garrett got hurt by a cheapshot by Ark. 6'10" OT who could not handle him so he did a full extend diving layout for his knees. We're talking players to decide whether OR NOT they are playing meaningless games. You chose two who decided they were more important than their teammates. I took one who is risking it all out of loyalty to his teammates.

remember the so called touchdown tommy vardell from stanford

Oh yeah TD Tommy scored 37 touchdowns, and never recorded a fumble in his college career but in his four years with the BROWNS rushing for 3 TD 2 fumbles which shows there is a BIG difference between college and pro football.

I'm surprised he hung around as long as he did in the NFL.

They are gunshy because of Jalen Smith and he didn't play their position either. Garrett got hurt by a cheapshot by Ark. 6'10" OT who could not handle him so he did a full extend diving layout for his knees. We're talking players to decide whether OR NOT they are playing meaningless games. You chose two who decided they were more important than their teammates. I took one who is risking it all out of loyalty to his teammates.

It wasn't a cheap shot at all. Stop being so Texags, man.

Riggins was tough!

And like Emmitt Smith, today's Ezekiel Elliott and others it's nice having the Hogs opening holes and a good QB, still Riggo was a tough RB.

Used to be that the coach decided who played and who didn't.

Now, the players tell the coaches and teams whether they feel like playing today or not because I'll get more money by not playing.

Next logical progression of that attitude is that the star players will ONLY play in the two to three BIG games of the season.

"I can't risk my draft position and multi-million dollar contract by playing against teams with losing records."

Or, "I'll only play against top 10 ranked teams."

Then the NEXT, next logical progression...

"I'll ONLY play against teams whose analytics show I can run up my personal stats, thereby making my analytics drive my draft position and contract to the highest it can be."

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word logical....

Archived