THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Cooper

Zombo

Thomas - Bitonio - Greco - Pasztor - Cooper - Reiter - Unchained

There's 7 guys right there. You should be able to make a pretty serviceable unit out of that next year. Then you've got Coleman and Erving to further push guys in camp. That's a nice little crew.

Including a pair of LizFrancs and an ACL...

Not too concerned about the ACL and Bito is still young, but Greco... dunno...

Lotta miles on John and the timing is going to likely cost him the entire preseason. While he's vet enough to not need the reps, we won't get to see him in live action to gauge his recovery.

While Bito is still young, his developing injury pattern has to be of some concern.

That leaves Reiter... a one-start, second-year player with a knee. The knee may be the smallest of the question marks.

So we potentially are staring at Thomas - Drango - Erving - Cooper - Paztor... again...

Man... we need need Shon to be the OT I thought I saw on tape.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas

Bitonio

Greco

Pasztor--will be on a 1.6M expired contract

Cooper--will be on a 3.6M expired contract

Reiter

Unchained

Sashi got a pen? both OL our 26 with no contract in 17, but from spottrac the market value on Collins 10.4M. Pryor 10.6M..Crow done eating table scraps also. Anna & Lynic, How u DUE IN'

Sashi got a pen? both OL our 26 with no contract in 17, but from spottrac the market value on Collins 10.4M. Pryor 10.6M..Crow done eating table scraps also. Anna & Lynic, How u DUE IN'

Pretty sure Pasztor and Crow get resigned. Cooper - depends how he does in the next three games but nice start this weekend.

Pryor and Collins we should retain.

Cooper - depends how he does in the next three games but nice start this weekend.

Cooper seem's high at 3.6M for a failed 1st rounder? could be a difficult deal pending a few games? The price of playing & staying in Cleveland, more of the worry imo

^ Rookie deal would be my guess as well...

If Coleman came on as a good RT, what are you doing with Paz?

Holding a "who-can-snap-the-ball" competition with Drango and Cooper...

So for people who like to put a grade on players, like PFF, spotrac has done their own version

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/valuation/cleveland-browns/

An up-to-date look at the value rankings of all active NFL players based on a mathematical comparison of their current average salary against their cumulative "production points". These points are made up of major statistical categories relevant to that player's position. From there, we generate a z-score for each player among their position, to rank them with a "value". This True Value rating is what you see below. By default players must have played in 60% of available snaps in order to qualify.

Basically - how much did you contribute vs how much is your contract? Unsurprisingly, Haden doesn't do so well, coming in with a score of 0.26 out of 100. Yep.

Derek Carr is tops overall, an MVP-level QB on a rookie contract will do that I suppose.

For the browns, the top performers? Boddy-Calhoun, Pryor, Greco, Collins, Shelton, Pasztor

Bottom guys? Haden, Williams, Erving, Davis, Hawkins

I'm not sure if it's normalised such that a score of 50 is 'average' but I think so. Interestingly, JT is 'subpar' at a score of 46.

Interesting take there...

As for Bito... in the real world, sure, I'd include him (although I suspect that he has somehow DQ'd himself or we'd have seen him at C). But the above was (hopefully) not real world as I thinned war's OL herd a post earlier.

Yeah I'm sneaking it in here as a 'less read' thread so there's not loads of hand wringing about how the FO is going to use *this* as the holy grail metric instead of PFF or whatever as you know there could be.

But it *is* an interesting perspective, and another supposedly objective grading system. I wonder how closely it matches others, particularly given it is based on contract as well. Meaning, just because a guy gets a super high score here (Boddy-Calhoun) doesn't mean he's a great player, just that the contract is great for the team in terms of ROI.

PFF should definitely be taken with a grain of salt, but I do think it has at least a LITTLE validation behind many of their scores. Here's what really matters: Did anybody notice Cooper completely sucking? Did anybody hear his name negatively mentioned? I don't really think so. Yeah, it's one damn game, but the Bengals' front is pretty good. At the very LEAST, this guy could provide some quality depth on the bench. Don't laugh, that's actually HUGE.

PFF should definitely be taken with a grain of salt, but I do think it has at least a LITTLE validation behind many of their scores. Here's what really matters: Did anybody notice Cooper completely sucking? Did anybody hear his name negatively mentioned? I don't really think so. Yeah, it's one damn game, but the Bengals' front is pretty good. At the very LEAST, this guy could provide some quality depth on the bench. Don't laugh, that's actually HUGE.

Absolutely... the lack of replays of our OL fails was definitely a step in the right direction. Only one I recall offhand was Adkins rag-dolling Drango and I put a smidge of that on Cam who was distracted into moving right.

And there was a positive one on Cam's roll-block in the screen...

Former first-round pick and reclamation project Jonathan Cooper had an excellent game for Cleveland in his first start for the team. Cooper didn’t allow a single pressure against the Bengals in 34 snaps, nor was he flagged during the game; he also run blocked well, and at least on that evidence, could be a key find for the team.

Former first-round pick and reclamation project Jonathan Cooper had an excellent game for Cleveland in his first start for the team. Cooper didn’t allow a single pressure against the Bengals in 34 snaps, nor was he flagged during the game; he also run blocked well, and at least on that evidence, could be a key find for the team.

So could the Browns just be missing a center on the line? I hope Cooper keeps up this kind of momentum for the rest of the season.

So could the Browns just be missing a center on the line? I hope Cooper keeps up this kind of momentum for the rest of the season.

For pretty much every game this season, to my eye, Erving has been responsible for seemingly as many fuck ups as the rest of the line put together.

As previously just posted, Cooper was actually the top performing guard of the week according to PFF. We all know that PFF isn't the "be all, end all" of evaluating, but I think it's fair to say that he definitely played well, and we want to see more. I really liked how he finished off blocks, and he definitely brought the physicality our line was lacking. We've said a few times that we were looking for a physical presence on the line since Joel got hurt, and maybe this guy can be him.

I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, and I know it's only one game, but it's impossible not to be encouraged. Even if Cooper is just a solid backup on our roster, that's worth SO much in the NFL. We know Cooper's biggest issue is simply being available and healthy. If he can do that, he might even get BETTER. He had a broken leg and a torn plantar in his foot, and apparently he's back 100% healthy. The broken leg isn't an injury that typically becomes chronic, but the plantar can be if it didn't heal right.

I'm encouraged, and I'm actually happy for the guy. He has a lot to live up to, and he's getting his chance. He puts together 3 more solid games, and he's on his way. Like somebody else just said, it's POSSIBLE we only need a starting Center, and if you had to, you can grab one of those in the second round. Doesn't Ohio State have a pretty stout Center? I also like the guy from LSU, Pocic.

Doesn't Ohio State have a pretty stout Center? I also like the guy from LSU, Pocic.

C/G won't matter as long as we get Efflin or Pocic..They can play both positions..thank god not all OL positions ;)

To be fair, I didn't watch the game Sunday but to that point he has been pretty terrible. Did he put up a good effort Sunday?

in fairness one of our video down-loader should post his 1 pancake of his NFL career :). As a 6'5" center that can't get his pads any lower.We finally ran a play to Cam's strength. Cam pulled from C on a Crow? screen to JT's side & flat out Cam knocked a edge rusher into next week that he accually SAW..That's it. That's the list (but a block of beauty)

Starting to sound like Greco might be out a year.

MKC tweeted. . .

#Browns Hue Jax said John Greco underwent surgery this to repair his midfoot. Believed to be Lisfranc. Usually about year-long recovery

To be fair, I didn't watch the game Sunday but to that point he has been pretty terrible. Did he put up a good effort Sunday?

Not perfect, but better. He even prompted me to type "Nice block by Cam" in the Tavern... felt weird to do, but was true.

Starting to sound like Greco might be out a year.

MKC tweeted. . .

#Browns Hue Jax said John Greco underwent surgery this to repair his midfoot. Believed to be Lisfranc. Usually about year-long recovery

He'll be 32 next year ... time to let him float off on the iceberg ,,,

Zombo

Archived