THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Cooper

Zombo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved this acquisition, and I hope he works out. Drafted #7 overall??! Cmon guy...we need you.

I don't know Greco's contact situation, but ideally he's your 6th man next year. Hopefully we have enough studs to keep him on the bench next year, if not, we know he is a capable starter but getting long in the tooth.

Z

Would Greco move to center?

It would be nice to have that option as a true, best option and not a least, worst one wouldn't it?

It would be amazing if he's good......and there is hope he will be.....

My understanding is he was always injured, but hasnt really played poorly.....correct?....

So......lets hope for some good solid play......and "health" going fwd.....cause the ole injury prone tag is hovering.....

It would be amazing if he's good......and there is hope he will be.....

My understanding is he was always injured, but hasnt really played poorly.....correct?....

So......lets hope for some good solid play......and "health" going fwd.....cause the ole injury prone tag is hovering.....

Always injured and there seems to be some Justin Gilbert like "not mentally tough" floating around him ... Some guys just need a second chance:

Maybe we'll get lucky .... Ha Ha Ha ... I crack myself up.

Belichick wanted him, traded for him before his last injury ... and Belichick is a genius. Mingo is a Pro Bowler and Patriots defense flourishing without Jamie Collins.

Zombo

Always injured and there seems to be some Justin Gilbert like "not mentally tough" floating around him ... Some guys just need a second chance:

Maybe we'll get lucky .... Ha Ha Ha ... I crack myself up.

Belichick wanted him, traded for him before his last injury ... and Belichick is a genius. Mingo is a Pro Bowler and Patriots defense flourishing without Jamie Collins.

Zombo

c'mon man,,he just may be the stud lineman we need

I'm very familiar with Cooper. If he works out it'll be a miracle.

...this is what I'm thinking. But it's 'evaluation season' in Cleveland. Plug him in and see if he can swim.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm much more bullish on this OL than the rest of you

Hey....Congratulation!!...if your vision is better than Cam & Durango we need more Wargo ,,,Cooper,Ogbah,Collins,Crow all played to win

Our top performers (according to the utterly faultless PFF) were our tackles, guards, and Crow. Which confirms the eye test of we looked good in pass protection and Crow had some nice runs.

So we're just a QB, a C and 4 more WRs away from the playoffs? ;)

So we're just a QB, a C and 4 more WRs away from the playoffs? ;)

Probably not four, maybe two solid receivers and I'd throw a TE in there as well. But honestly - in a hypothetical draft you can find a QB in round 1, WR in round 2, C in round 3, TE in round 4, WR in round 5. It's possible, though not exactly likely.

I was definitely watching Cooper, and he looked like a guy who hasn't played in a while, BUT he also looked like a guy that CAN play. He was late on a few things, and lost on a screen pass type play (that play should've gone for more, but the field conditions and his missed block hurt). But all that being said, he definitely held his own on the majority of the plays, and he actually received praise from the announcers on at least one nice run, and I think more. He appears to be strong, and that's a good start. There was one sack where Drango got shoved back and gave up a sack (doing his best Cam Erving imitation no doubt), and I don't recall that happening too much to Cooper.

Was Cooper dominant? I wouldn't go THAT far, but he definitely appeared like he belonged. I mean, we ran the ball pretty damn well with a beat up OL. That's impressive. If we had a QB that could complete the simplest of passes...we'd probably have a shot at that game. But RG III was the definition of ineptitude. His passes were awful, and too many times he just held the ball and looked like he had no idea where to throw the rock. Even the announcers took notice, and showed where he could've thrown a pass for a quick 5 yards instead of holding onto it and eventually running around like his head was on fire.

Funny thing is, when Griffin eventually did throw a decent, catchable pass, Vitale dropped it for the TD. I mean, when you're the browns you expect this, but still. But yeah, Griffin constantly looked off simple underneath passes that would put us in manageable situations (hello surprisingly effective run game) in favour of trying to force downfield throws. I don't know if Hue specifically said about it, or if Griffin was just thinking back to what was said about Kessler needing to do it more, but in the mid-December snow is not the time to start trying.

I was definitely watching Cooper, and he looked like a guy who hasn't played in a while, BUT he also looked like a guy that CAN play. He was late on a few things, and lost on a screen pass type play (that play should've gone for more, but the field conditions and his missed block hurt). But all that being said, he definitely held his own on the majority of the plays, and he actually received praise from the announcers on at least one nice run, and I think more. He appears to be strong, and that's a good start. There was one sack where Drango got shoved back and gave up a sack (doing his best Cam Erving imitation no doubt), and I don't recall that happening too much to Cooper.

Was Cooper dominant? I wouldn't go THAT far, but he definitely appeared like he belonged. I mean, we ran the ball pretty damn well with a beat up OL. That's impressive. If we had a QB that could complete the simplest of passes...we'd probably have a shot at that game. But RG III was the definition of ineptitude. His passes were awful, and too many times he just held the ball and looked like he had no idea where to throw the rock. Even the announcers took notice, and showed where he could've thrown a pass for a quick 5 yards instead of holding onto it and eventually running around like his head was on fire.

It was kinda like watching Johnny Manziel all over again.

Nice game today. I'm much more bullish on this OL than the rest of you

Won't go as far as bullish, but I'm not down on our band-aid OL.

• Joe was Joe.
  • Cooper looked decent.
  • Cam actually made a nice, key block on a screen left to Crow (IIRC)... took the opposing defender to the ground; did not see him chase stunts, but thought he was still distracted by them... case in point leaving Drango alone with Adkins (see below).
  • Paz had a couple issues, but played better than he did the past couple weeks.
  • Only Drango had a featured fail... and it was vs. Geno, 1-on-1... so there's that.

I still cannot help that Drango is on the wrong side of the ball... as in L vs. R... not O vs. D

Won't go as far as bullish, but I'm not down on our band-aid OL.

• Joe was Joe.
  • Cooper looked decent.
  • Cam actually made a nice, key block on a screen left to Crow (IIRC)... took the opposing defender to the ground; did not see him chase stunts, but thought he was still distracted by them... case in point leaving Drango alone with Adkins (see below).
  • Paz had a couple issues, but played better than he did the past couple weeks.
  • Only Drango had a featured fail... and it was vs. Geno, 1-on-1... so there's that.

I still cannot help that Drango is on the wrong side of the ball... as in L vs. R... not O vs. D

I'm certainly no expert but I seemed to notice that Crows two best runs were straight up the middle behind Cam. But based on PFF (and they can't be wrong can they?) he sucks and the rest of the line is elite. So there's that...

Funny thing is, when Griffin eventually did throw a decent, catchable pass, Vitale dropped it for the TD. I mean, when you're the browns you expect this, but still. But yeah, Griffin constantly looked off simple underneath passes that would put us in manageable situations (hello surprisingly effective run game) in favour of trying to force downfield throws. I don't know if Hue specifically said about it, or if Griffin was just thinking back to what was said about Kessler needing to do it more, but in the mid-December snow is not the time to start trying.

I honestly think it was game plan... but its poor execution is rightly placed.

Things look simpler downfield... or at least less congested. RG double-chutched, at a minimum, most of the day when looking short to mid-range, especially over the middle. Even on the deep stuff he was hesitant, but determined to give TP and CC shots at making plays. Whatever combo of arm and brain atrophy prevented his throws form being good enough to even do that.

I'm certainly no expert but I seemed to notice that Crows two best runs were straight up the middle behind Cam. But based on PFF (and they can't be wrong can they?) he sucks and the rest of the line is elite. So there's that...

IIRC both were draws and on a difficulty scale of 1-10, blocking for draws is about a -2. An exaggeration, but most of draw blocking is influencing/inviting defender to take an easy path to the QB... and then helping him in that direction. In short, it's as much acting as it is blocking. Then it's up to the back to spot the lane which Crow had no trouble doing.

I think the above describes Cam's role in one of the runs. I want to say that on the other he was uncovered, went into his PassPro dance for a beat and then released downfield. Again... Acting! But he got to an LB and shielded him away from the ball. This is what he did relatively well at LSU.

Cam's issues come out when he either has a strong DT/NT covering him OR when he has to think and react in PassPro. In the former he can't move the defender. In the latter he chases defenders leaving his "zone" leaving a gap open for others to fly thru.

IIRC both were draws and on a difficulty scale of 1-10, blocking for draws is about a -2. An exaggeration, but most of draw blocking is influencing/inviting defender to take an easy path to the QB... and then helping him in that direction. In short, it's as much acting as it is blocking. Then it's up to the back to spot the lane which Crow had no trouble doing.

You think they told Cam it's a draw play or just said "Hey Cam, pass protect buddy, same as usual"?

You think they told Cam it's a draw play or just said "Hey Cam, pass protect buddy, same as usual"?

To answer that.... I will have to go to the tape...

Thomas

Bitonio

Greco

Pasztor

Cooper

Reiter

Unchained

There's 7 guys right there. You should be able to make a pretty serviceable unit out of that next year. Then you've got Coleman and Erving to further push guys in camp. That's a nice little crew. Really interested to see how we do once we get a TE who can block. Or two...

EDIT: This list didn't even mention the prospect of a draftee. Or two...

I think the above describes Cam's role in one of the runs. I want to say that on the other he was uncovered, went into his PassPro dance for a beat and then released downfield. Again... Acting! But he got to an LB and shielded him away from the ball. This is what he did relatively well at LSU.

Cam's issues come out when he either has a strong DT/NT covering him OR when he has to think and react in PassPro. In the former he can't move the defender. In the latter he chases defenders leaving his "zone" leaving a gap open for others to fly thru.

Precisely why I said at the start that I'm no expert. But I do know that we have an above average to elite offensive line because I heard it enough yesterday to know that now.

Archived