THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarterbacks

Zombo

Oh, I suppose he could. He's an amazing player - just seems frail to me.

Who knows. I would be a happy camper if the Browns actually did trade for Garroppolo though. lol

Drinking the Kool-Aid heavy this year I see. I'll wait till after the Miami game.

Tiny? Watson is 6'2", 210. Griffin is 6'2" 220. FWIW, Bridgewater is 6'2 215.

The Pats will never get rid of Garrapolo, especially if he plays well with Brady suspended, TB can't play forever.

Difference is Griffin and Bridgewater have combine measurements (I'm assuming). Watson's is inflated college program-type stuff.

Sorry to be a nebbish.....just want the record straight.

No you're not(it's who you are....go with it).....though, I guess I used the wrong word.....insert "played" for "started"......in 2012 McCoy "played" a game....and in 07 Quinn did as well....so I was off by 1....oops

Dont miss the point completely Gip(as it sails high and wide)....it's not about my math.....it's about the reality that playing 1 QB for a 16 game season is not a reasonable expectation....and even more so, when they are RGIII and McC....

I wanted Garrapolo in 2014. I believe i said he'd be the best QB out of that draft class. And he had a helluva quick release.

But the pats aren't trading them, and I think if McCown and RG3 and stay healthy we'll be in for a treat.

If we're forced to play Kessler, I won't be a happy camper. I feel like we should of took a lineman instead of him in the third round. Could of gotten him the next round.

Difference is Griffin and Bridgewater have combine measurements (I'm assuming). Watson's is inflated college program-type stuff.

ROTFL and the ultimate in that category is the departed Johnny Footyball\ boozyball. But don't feel too bad- there's a long line of Heisman qb busts- like Gino Torreta and his pals.

What is it about Watson that makes him a better prospect than Griffin coming out? I am not sure really, that Watson looks any better than Griffin did in college. I mean, it not like Griffin didn't win the Heisman Trophy or something.

I saw RGIII live @ Baylor and it was amazing he won the Heisman since he did not have anything close to Clemson's D helping him along in the W column.

And Tim there is no way in hell we do a 2 for 1 to move up for Watson. Either we earn him thru us or Philly or we don't. That isn't how the FO works with this new fangled quantum physic$. Or is it wampum physics? Whatever.

What is it about Watson that makes him a better prospect than Griffin coming out? I am not sure really, that Watson looks any better than Griffin did in college. I mean, it not like Griffin didn't win the Heisman Trophy or something.

Watson is a better passer. Not that he has a better arm, he's just a better passer.

But it's not that we take him because he's a better prospect - if RG3 fails it would give him four bad years in the NFL to only one good, which doesn't inspire confidence as a franchise-level player.

Once again, not what I'm expecting to happen. Just a contingency plan I'd like to see if RG3 were to underperform/get injured.

I wanted Garrapolo in 2014. I believe i said he'd be the best QB out of that draft class. And he had a helluva quick release.

But the pats aren't trading them, and I think if McCown and RG3 and stay healthy we'll be in for a treat.

If we're forced to play Kessler, I won't be a happy camper. I feel like we should of took a lineman instead of him in the third round. Could of gotten him the next round.

Care to make it interesting? ;)

Only provisos I would insist upon is Brady makes it through the 2016 season unscathed with little discernible fall-off. If he does, then Jimmy's gone via trade. The Pats are simply not going let their back-up QB become a FA or pay top $$$ to retain a free agent, back up QB... and some team is going to overpay for him.

The pattern is there.

Care to make it interesting? ;)

Only provisos I would insist upon is Brady makes it through the 2016 season unscathed with little discernible fall-off. If he does, then Jimmy's gone via trade. The Pats are simply not going let their back-up QB become a FA or pay top $$$ to retain a free agent, back up QB... and some team is going to overpay for him.

The pattern is there.

At the same time, you gotta believe that Brady has had very detailed discussions with ol' Bill about succession plans, and knows that he has X amount of years left. Obviously, we're not all privy to that information, and it might be that Brady is only playing one more year, or five more, or until he gets another SB, or some other milestone. If it's known, for example, that he'll hang up his deflator in two years time, then Jimmy G will remain a patriot (if they think he's good enough of course).

Possible, Chris, but public proclamations by Tom Terrific are more five-yearish+... and that's plenty of time for the Pats to spin the QB-of-the-future wheel a few more times... and too long to pay starter-ish money to a back-up.

First four games of 2016 should go far in determining Jimmy G's future prospects in Foxboro. Remember right now we are talking about a QB that has thrown a grand total of 31 regular season passes. With the possible exception of last year's, season ending visit by Buffalo, his game splits indicate he's only seen mop up duty in blow-outs... both by and of the Pats. And the Pats lost the BUF game... although admittedly other starters may have been rested as well.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00/gamelog/

Week 1 2016 will be his first start ever. His resume is about to get a lot thicker.

No you're not(it's who you are....go with it)..

No, I really am sorry.....must I now go perform corporal mortification to prove it to you?

...though, I guess I used the wrong word.....insert "played" for "started"......in 2012 McCoy "played" a game....and in 07 Quinn did as well....so I was off by 1....oops

Well, sure, backups can get in a game in a blowout either way.

Dont miss the point completely Gip(as it sails high and wide)....it's not about my math.....it's about the reality that playing 1 QB for a 16 game season is not a reasonable expectation....and even more so, when they are RGIII and McC....

I understood that point. I take it further: Starting 1 QB for a 16 game season is not a reasonable expectation....

I saw RGIII live @ Baylor and it was amazing he won the Heisman since he did not have anything close to Clemson's D helping him along in the W column.

And Tim there is no way in hell we do a 2 for 1 to move up for Watson. Either we earn him thru us or Philly or we don't. That isn't how the FO works with this new fangled quantum physic$. Or is it wampum physics? Whatever.

He also never played a D of Clemson's caliber....

Not really relevant but ok. Johnny was listed at 5/4 inches and 3 pounds over his combine measurements. Not exactly Eddie Haskell with the lying there.

OK, I misunderstood. You were talking height & weight (I think). I was talking on field stats. You might be able to fake 10 pounds, but not 2 inches.

I think it's less quantum physics and more cost-benefit analysis.

I'm sure they've calculated what (to them) constitutes elite/average/subpar NFL QB performance in the modern era, then retroactively applied that data to past seasons to find the breakdown of teams that have won Super Bowls with each level of QB play.

I'm sure their data has shown that it is statistically much more likely to win a Super Bowl with above average QB play - hence the reason they went out and signed a young QB who, even with his injury, has a better NFL career stat line than any QB we've had.

So many of our moves have been revolving around the QB. Hire a "QB whisperer" head coach. Add Hamilton - a former college QB and noted QB/WR positional coach - as OC. Add Saunders - a former OC who has been either in charge of or a part of some of the best passing offenses of of their time. Add RG3. Add Kessler. Add a WR with our top pick. Add three more receivers. Add a WR who used to BE a QB.

This FO is all about the QB. If RG3 fails, we'll be replacing him, not the rest of the machine.

With RGIII under contract and signs that he might be a good player again....plus a fresh 3rd recruit who's still in his first training camp......why would we be looking to trade for another guy?.......I think the Browns invest 1-2 years in what they have, before they go searching for another.....

With RGIII under contract and signs that he might be a good player again....plus a fresh 3rd recruit who's still in his first training camp......why would we be looking to trade for another guy?.......I think the Browns invest 1-2 years in what they have, before they go searching for another.....

His contract is two years and Kessler is that...a mid-round pick.

I'm sure people are going to laugh at me, but I don't think QB is the immediate concern at this moment. If RG III completely fails, which I don't think he will, Hue Jackson can toss in McCown. Obviously McCown isn't a super star, and he's not the "long term" answer, but he might buy us enough time to get an accurate read on Kessler. As I've said before, I don't think we're going to see Kessler this season. Even if we lose McCown and RG III to injury or whatever, I don't get the feeling that Kessler is ready to go at this moment. Maybe I'm wrong...hopefully we don't have to find out.

The immediate damn concern is most likely our defense. I get the feeling that RG III will be "good enough", but he's going to be placed in some poor circumstances, which will hurt not only our wins, but his numbers. Yes, it's preseason, but I'm terrified with our defense and their ability to stop the run and force punts. RG III is likely to have fewer possessions than most other starting QB's in the league, and that's going to hurt his overall numbers severely.

I still think RG III's numbers will look something like 20 tds, 14 picks, 2900 yards with 3 tds and 400 yards on the ground. Not earth-shattering numbers, but stats that are good enough to land him the job next year. What I can see really hurting him is being down in many games, and having the defenses KNOW we have to pass the ball. They will force him to make quick reads and move the ball down the field. Not his specialty.

Archived