THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarterbacks

Zombo

Here is how I see this playing out:

Grif plays through first series of second half Friday, McCown gets a series and Kessler gets fourth quarter.

Davis released as soon as he clears protocol. Kessler plays the entire fourth preseason game, getting him valuable playing time and ensuring our two vets are healthy going into season.

Griffin is comeback player of the year and Pro Bowler, gets a contract extension and we move forward into the Super Bowl era with Grif and Silk.

Z

Sounds good to me. RG3 looks good right now.

Hue said to trust him on Kessler, so let's do that. No need to rush him into anything and McCown is a viable backup.

like the way you think there Z, Word here is Coleman and Gordon will both play in Tampa. Of course the timing will be off with those two but having all three top WR's on the field should open up the running game for Crowell. The obvious part of this preseason is we will have to address LB in the next draft like we did WR in this past one.

This preseason ???!!!????

Where ya been the last 4 years????

don't you mean since 1999? Just saying this one is making it pretty obvious our LB's are way too slow.

Contingency plan (because someone is bound to bring it up):

RG3 DOES NOT play well, we end up with a top 5 pick, Philly does too.

We package both to move up to #1 for Watson. McCown retires. RG3 finishes his final year here while Watson rides pine behind Kessler.

We roll into 2018 with Watson and Kessler.

Say what you want about our FO, they at least addressed the QB scenario better than any past regime. Added a young, albeit risky, franchise-level talent, added a smart rookie as a project/emergency player, and STILL left us in a position to possibly grab the top guy next year if all else fails.

They hedged their bets without really having to give anything up.

Trust me.....it's been pretty obvious for years.....

Sure has. I also think Horton has less talent to work with than the last time he was here and his scheme sucked then and it will suck again.

Sure has. I also think Horton has less talent to work with than the last time he was here and his scheme sucked then and it will suck again.

yes....the 4 starting LB's were Kruger - DQ - Robertson - Sheard......with Mingo, Carder and Groves as the primary back ups

And this season the LB's are Kruger - Thomas - Kirksey - Orchard.....w/ Mingo, Carder and Schobert as the primary back ups

So, Id say Kruger is Kruger.....DQ and Thomas have the same game...Kirksey and Robertson split time(equals).....Sheard and Orchard are about the same too.....(slight edge to Orchard(as a LB))......

Looks like a wash to me.....

The way I see it, RG III is going to have more than his fair share of struggles. This is no dig on him. I believe just about EVERY qb would struggle on our team, as I think our defense is going to be extremely bad. We will be behind. We will need to pass more than we want to. We will see more nickel/dime coverages than most because of this, which will result in more sacks and turnovers.

Kessler will be a mystery this season. Basically a red shirt year.

I urge patience with Robert this season, and I pray he is the guy starting for us for years to come. But I know he has a tough road ahead.

The way I see it, RG III is going to have more than his fair share of struggles. This is no dig on him. I believe just about EVERY qb would struggle on our team, as I think our defense is going to be extremely bad. We will be behind. We will need to pass more than we want to. We will see more nickel/dime coverages than most because of this, which will result in more sacks and turnovers.

Kessler will be a mystery this season. Basically a red shirt year.

I urge patience with Robert this season, and I pray he is the guy starting for us for years to come. But I know he has a tough road ahead.

Many good points here....add that, due to the defense, he will have fewer opportunities with the ball.....consistently

The likely hood of RGIII staying healthy this year is... well... slim

A very valid concern.....here are a few interesting facts....

Last time a Browns QB played 16 games was 1991.....25 years ago....

In 8 out of the last 10 seasons, we have started 3 quarterbacks or more......

Josh McCown and RGIII are 0 for 17 yrs combined for starting every game.....(meaning theyve never done it)

Last year, McCown lasted exactly 1 series....

Last year, RGIII didnt even play.....

Just the facts folks.

yes....the 4 starting LB's were Kruger - DQ - Robertson - Sheard......with Mingo, Carder and Groves as the primary back ups

And this season the LB's are Kruger - Thomas - Kirksey - Orchard.....w/ Mingo, Carder and Schobert as the primary back ups

So, Id say Kruger is Kruger.....DQ and Thomas have the same game...Kirksey and Robertson split time(equals).....Sheard and Orchard are about the same too.....(slight edge to Orchard(as a LB))......

Looks like a wash to me.....

I would agree on everything there except Thomas having the same game as DQ. I haven't seen anything from him that would have me thinking he's on the same level as DQ when he was here. Not that DQ was at an extremely high level, but significantly higher than him.

We package both to move up to #1 for Watson. McCown retires. RG3 finishes his final year here while Watson rides pine behind Kessler. TC

I don't see it. Watson is a spectacular college qb, but he's tiny, and isn't pro ready.

It's too early, and so far, I'm not sold on any of the qb's in next year's draft. Hopefully

a small school qb stands out of the mix....

My bet would be, (all of $1.00..)... is that the Browns would trade their 2nd round pick to the

dirty patriots for Jimmy Garoppollo. They want to get a few pick(s) back from having some taken...

McCown would retire, and Jimmy and Kessler duke it out for backup to RGIII. B)

Grif plays through first series of second half Friday, McCown gets a series and Kessler gets fourth quarter.

Davis released as soon as he clears protocol. Kessler plays the entire fourth preseason game, getting him valuable playing time and ensuring our two vets are healthy going into season.

Griffin is comeback player of the year and Pro Bowler, gets a contract extension and we move forward into the Super Bowl era with Grif and Silk.

I'm with ya, Z... all the way through the preseason.

don't you mean since 1999? Just saying this one is making it pretty obvious our LB's are way too slow.

Not sure it's a simple matter of "speed"... not foot speed anyway. Kirksey's not slow. Mingo's not slow.

Personally, I'm still looking for a 3-down LB. Had one and let him slip thru our fingers...

Grif has a huge, live arm, and quick feet's. Looked outstanding Thursday. Only argument against him is fragility/injury. If you think he is dumb/has an attitude/ can't read defenses ... You will be left in the dust on this one.

Z

Grif has a huge, live arm, and quick feet's. Looked outstanding Thursday. Only argument against him is fragility/injury. If you think he is dumb/has an attitude/ can't read defenses ... You will be left in the dust on this one.

Only guilty on the last count, because I haven't seen it yet, but here's hoping you're right.

Z

Drinking the Kool-Aid heavy this year I see. I'll wait till after the Miami game.

We package both to move up to #1 for Watson. McCown retires. RG3 finishes his final year here while Watson rides pine behind Kessler. TC

I don't see it. Watson is a spectacular college qb, but he's tiny, and isn't pro ready.

It's too early, and so far, I'm not sold on any of the qb's in next year's draft. Hopefully

a small school qb stands out of the mix....

My bet would be, (all of $1.00..)... is that the Browns would trade their 2nd round pick to the

dirty patriots for Jimmy Garoppollo. They want to get a few pick(s) back from having some taken...

McCown would retire, and Jimmy and Kessler duke it out for backup to RGIII. B)

Tiny? Watson is 6'2", 210. Griffin is 6'2" 220. FWIW, Bridgewater is 6'2 215.

The Pats will never get rid of Garrapolo, especially if he plays well with Brady suspended, TB can't play forever.

lol. I meant to say "thin"... oops. I've read reports where they like the third string qb well enough...

that Jimmy could be on the table..

but they probably won't trade him. It's fun wishful thinking, though. Hasn't shown to be a pocket passer...

don't know about how he would adapt to the pro style offenses....

it's too early.

I believe a lot would have to happen for Kessler to see the field this year, and even if injuries were to happen to RG III and McCown, I'm not so sure that Kessler would be thrust into the game. I guess it all depends on how well he's progressing, but I don't expect the kid to get many (if any) reps when the season starts, so how much better can he really get between now and when we could need him? If the worst happens and we lose our first and second string guys, we might just bring in a veteran. All depends on Kessler's progress. Hue won't put the kid in if he's going to completely suck.

Setting the over/under on Kessler being named the starter due to injuries at 7.5 games.

Sure hope I'm wrong, but we see 3 QBs every year.

Given RG3 knees and McCown concussions, I'd say your bet is pretty safe as an under.

I've read reports where they like the third string qb well enough...

but they probably won't trade him. It's fun wishful thinking, though. Hasn't shown to be a pocket passer...

Wouldn't be the first time the Pats under Belichick trade their back up QB... in fact it'd be the 4th: Bledsoe... Cassell... Mallet...

Setting aside that Brady plans to play forever, it's not good enough to be a good backup in NE. I think the Pats keep shuffling the deck until they have a QB who during the term of his rookie contract beats out Tom. Jimmy is under contract through 2017.

Contingency plan (because someone is bound to bring it up):

RG3 DOES NOT play well, we end up with a top 5 pick, Philly does too.

We package both to move up to #1 for Watson. McCown retires. RG3 finishes his final year here while Watson rides pine behind Kessler.

We roll into 2018 with Watson and Kessler.

Say what you want about our FO, they at least addressed the QB scenario better than any past regime. Added a young, albeit risky, franchise-level talent, added a smart rookie as a project/emergency player, and STILL left us in a position to possibly grab the top guy next year if all else fails.

They hedged their bets without really having to give anything up.

What is it about Watson that makes him a better prospect than Griffin coming out? I am not sure really, that Watson looks any better than Griffin did in college. I mean, it not like Griffin didn't win the Heisman Trophy or something.

Many good points here....add that, due to the defense, he will have fewer opportunities with the ball.....consistently

A very valid concern.....here are a few interesting facts....

Last time a Browns QB played 16 games was 1991.....25 years ago....

2001 actually

In 8 out of the last 10 seasons, we have started 3 quarterbacks or more......

actually, only 5 out of 10.

2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)

2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)

2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)

2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)

2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)

2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)

2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)

2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)

2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)

2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)

Josh McCown and RGIII are 0 for 17 yrs combined for starting every game.....(meaning theyve never done it)

Last year, McCown lasted exactly 1 series....

Last year, RGIII didnt even play.....

Just the facts folks.

Sorry to be a nebbish.....just want the record straight.

lol. I meant to say "thin"... oops. I've read reports where they like the third string qb well enough...

it's too early.

Seriously Cal- you don't think Watson couldn't gain 5-10 pounds? We'll just wait and see how well Griffin plays this year, or if he gets hurt again. Poor play, or another injury- we're probably quarterback shopping again in 2017. I'll put the odds of Kessler turning into something special about the same as our other 3rd round qbs- Charlie Frye or Colt McCoy.

Archived