THE BROWNS BOARD

Center Mike Matthews Signs With Browns

wargograw

I know you're not alone. The rest of the board has him overvalued too. Hence my comment. This guy wasn't much better than Erving, he just never did anything so notably bad like Erving getting knocked on his ass that makes people realize and remember how bad he was.

I know you're not alone. The rest of the board has him overvalued too. Hence my comment. This guy wasn't much better than Erving, he just never did anything so notably bad like Erving getting knocked on his ass that makes people realize and remember how bad he was.

I'd say that is an inherent contradiction.

"Mike Matthews was one of three centers in this draft class not to yield a sack over the past two years, ProFootballFocus.com reported."

from: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/05/cleveland_browns_expected_to_a.html

Hell ya, not bad for the SEC. Hope he sticks and can be developed!

Shouldn't be too hard. Not sure why this board is so infatuated with Paztor.

Why are you so infatuated with Drango?

Coleman is a cooler. Patrick Swayze was also a cooler. Coolers make a living by beating fools down and keeping them in line. Hitting fools in their center spots is a good way to do that.

Actually William H. Macy was The Cooler...

"Mike Matthews was one of three centers in this draft class not to yield a sack over the past two years, ProFootballFocus.com reported."

from: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/05/cleveland_browns_expected_to_a.html

Example of the least worst excelling?

How come he wasn't drafted?

It's about time we signed a Mathews! As for Erving, he played out of position last year. I have high hopes for him. No way he's a bust!

He may have played out of position, but he looked terrible. Drafted in part for his ability to play multiple line positions IIRC.

He's on the short side and struggles with head up nose tackles. Hopefully Shelton can give him some trial by fire.

I believe in Erving too. People are writing him off too quickly.

I won't totally write Erving off yet- but for a first round pick, he flat out stunk- and not just on those plays where he got flat out got knocked on his ass. Cam got routinely overpowered. I hope he spent the entire season in the weight room.

Why are you so infatuated with Drango?

Actually William H. Macy was The Cooler...

Example of the least worst excelling?

I'm not. But I see a multi year starter from an elite offense with great entangibles and I think he can beat out a guy who was terrible. That's it.

Why is everyone writing off Greco?

Thomas/Bito/Cameron-Mathews/Greco/Coleman is what I'm seeing, with Pasztor/Drango backups.

Everyone? ;) Some folks have tried to write off John for two-years running.

I'm not. But I see a multi year starter from an elite offense with great entangibles and I think he can beat out a guy who was terrible. That's it.

Ah, yes.... that's nothing like infatuation...

I don't have pff season-long player ratings - perhaps someone on the board does.

The last individual rating I can find for Greco was this article from 11/5/2015, where he was rated 80.2 [Thomas 93.8, Bito 83.3, Schwartz 85.5 and Mack a depressing 77.9].

I seem to recall Greco finishing in the top10 for all guards in 2014.

That's consistently a borderline All-Pro -- very far from special ed. Think he sucks? Prove it -- or you, personally, suck.

Link in this post is the PFF article showing why FB/TE were responsible for the terrible run game last year.. and also showing that the BEST runs last year went right behind Greco.

I love this signing. The odds are against Matthews actually making the team and contributing, but I like signing a kid that doesn't have the physical tools and had to work his ass off for everything he has in trying to live up to the family name. You never know, but I think this is a good swing at the plate. I'm kind of surprised we didn't take a late round swing with him, but I guess we knew that nobody else wanted him.

By a pube, sure. For now...

All I said was they were both terrible.

Pasztor got the higher score in fewer games, so, more than a 'pube' difference.

Either way, Erving is going to be playing center this year, not guard.

Going to have to nickname you "Scoop"... ;)

I am awe of the blind love of Cam by many here.

Number of games doesn't matter in the grades anymore because it's a 0-100 scale.

Not blind love, pointing out that grading at guard doesn't mean so much when compared to center.

Hoping that he can perform to a decent level at the position we drafted him to play, though.

As in "news scoop"... AKA having a story before anyone else.

And no... Center is not OG, but in many ways it's harder.

I do get the whole focus on one position and having a shot with better coaching and got stronger. Any can be true, but the convergence of all three in one off-season is dubious at best. Especially when his college tape shows all the issues at Center he had at OG when the opponent puts a DL head up on him.

Not I Tour.

And no... Center is not OG, but in many ways it's harder.

I do get the whole focus on one position and having a shot with better coaching and got stronger. Any can be true, but the convergence of all three in one off-season is dubious at best. Especially when his college tape shows all the issues at Center he had at OG when the opponent puts a DL head up on him.

Exactly right. If you're getting blown up at guard, I can hardly wait to see how Cam is going to handle a monster nose tackle lining up right in front of him. RG III better have a fifth gear in reverse.

Archived