THE BROWNS BOARD

The rest of the QBs

LogicIsForSquares

I liked Dak Prescott until his DUI, not sure if we need another boozer. Lynch won't make it past Denver if San Fransisco passes on him. The thing no one talks about is Teams with older QB's who are looking toward the future. Cardinals, Saints, San Diego, Dallas are going to have to start making plans.

Buffalo may even draft another QB, I heard they really like Cardale. So if the Browns draft Lynch I wouldn't be too upset.

I liked Dak Prescott until his DUI, not sure if we need another boozer. Lynch won't make it past Denver if San Fransisco passes on him. The thing no one talks about is Teams with older QB's who are looking toward the future. Cardinals, Saints, San Diego, Dallas are going to have to start making plans.

Buffalo may even draft another QB, I heard they really like Cardale. So if the Browns draft Lynch I wouldn't be too upset.

Except....that I talked about just that very subject several time in the last week or so.

In fact, I said that for that very reason you could actually get 5 QBs drafted in round one. Goff/Wentz/Lynch/Cook/Hackenberg.

It could happen, not that I predict that it will. But if it does, do not look surprised.

Let me say in a different way the only guy I absolutely in no sense want at any pick is Hackenburg. He had one above average freshman season but his tape absolutely blows. With that being said, I'm so "meh" on all the 2nd tier dudes in the group that I think we can fill positions much better with all our top picks in the top 3 rounds than with a QB.

I agree with Z to a point though that if Cook falls to the top of the 4th or so I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger there. I could actually easily see that scenario because of his character concerns. To be frank I think his potential is about every other MSU QB (i.e. markedly mediocre) but he could break the mold.

Whether true or not- here's something to think about.

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

Leadership questions continue to plague quarterback Connor Cook. I was told during interviews he's come across as flippant and cavalier, and many question whether Cook is a team leader at the quarterback position.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#k94D8V6F7h8az1Ct.99

Leadership questions continue to plague quarterback Connor Cook. I was told during interviews he's come across as flippant and cavalier, and many question whether Cook is a team leader at the quarterback position.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#k94D8V6F7h8az1Ct.99

Well, maybe Cook is also a proponent of the Kobayashi Maru principle......which is "damn the rules, damn the precepts and expectations that other set on you on how to behave or how to perform a task. Do what it takes to save your ass...or get the job done".

Also.....Cook is from Hinckley, Home of the Buzzards. Maybe he has the mentality of a buzzard.

From Primal Astrology:

"Most people see the buzzard as a lazy creature circling around something else’s kill so they can go feed on the scraps. This perception is a bit unfair. These birds are often, in fact, circling in order to climb air thermals to greater heights. And while they are opportunists, vultures are also brilliant strategists - knowing when to take advantage of a situation and when they are outmatched by another predator. More than anything, they are survivors, ready to do what it takes to get what they need from life. Those born under the sign of the Buzzard are very much the same.

I did not see too much of Cook in 2015. Was he still plagued by occasions of out-of-nowhere, inexplicable, WTF throws as he was in 2014?

I think we should give him that nickname The Buzzard.

Speaking of "buzzards"...

A childhood friend, Brian Chalmers, owed to our Mothers being friends in HS, was the graphics guy at WMMS for years.

Tragically Brian took his own life in 2009. More tragically his father also committed suicide decades earlier.

R.I.P. BRIAN CHALMERS, ROCK ’N’ ROLL ARTIST Posted By Frank Lewis on Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Former Scene and WMMS artist Brian Chalmers — best known for drawing the rock radio station’s iconic “Buzzard” for much of its life — died suddenly last weekend. He was 54.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2009/06/23/rip-brian-chalmers-rock-n-roll-artist

1245776633-chalmersheadshot.jpegthumb-1245781925-buzzard_b.c..jpg

Lynch, Cook and Cardale interest me.

Lynch and Cardale are both naturally gifted with great size but need a lot of polish. A lot.

Cook is a guy that really interests me lately

I like that everyone thinks he's an asshole: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/21/connor-cook-michigan-state-nfl-draft/83337046/

Steeler fans will hate him.

He seemed to get better as his college career went on, I think he will have a good NFL career. But Lynch and Cardale have higher ceilings. I would not be unhappy with Lynch in the second round if he made it there.

Zombo

Classic stuff!

Conklin also spoke up when he was on the NFL channel when he was asked about why Cook wasn't considered decent leadership material by his teammates. This is all paraphrase but Conklin started by saying that wasn't the way anyone felt in the offensive huddle. He also added it's pretty tough to go 32-3 as a starting QB without leadership skills. Conklin added the team was built around defense first, which makes sense knowing D'Antonio was a DC at Ohio State before becoming HC for Sparty.

If memory serves me right in 2014 their 3-4 year starting LBer Bulluck(sp?), and son of a former Buffalo Bills Head Coach, was a team captain that got suspended near the end of 2014. Therefore it's also possible they're just not good at picking the right team captain at MSU. That's not anywhere near Flint, MI is it? Irregardless, can you imagine how much Jim Harbaugh is playing that up up with out of state recruits that haven't/won't ever looked at a map? He'd be a riot to watch competing for a prospect. That said D'Antonio brought some of the Ohio State recruiting magic to Sparty. Look how many kids his program will place in the first few rounds of this year's draft.

I think Cook was hurt for much of the second half and close of the 2015 season. IMO, he has a much better NFL starting point than Kirk Cousins, who will have a much bigger NFL contract than any of this year's first round QBs. He might not be bad pick at #32. Cardale has a scary resemblance to Jamarcus Russell. He's got some goodies but the way he approached his golden opportunity in 2015 led to a whole lotta head scratching. I LOVE Ohio State but would hate to miss out on a draft pick capable of helping us.

Speaking of "buzzards"...

A childhood friend, Brian Chalmers, owed to our Mothers being friends in HS, was the graphics guy at WMMS for years.

Tragically Brian took his own life in 2009. More tragically his father also committed suicide decades earlier.

R.I.P. BRIAN CHALMERS, ROCK ’N’ ROLL ARTIST Posted By Frank Lewis on Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Former Scene and WMMS artist Brian Chalmers — best known for drawing the rock radio station’s iconic “Buzzard” for much of its life — died suddenly last weekend. He was 54.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2009/06/23/rip-brian-chalmers-rock-n-roll-artist

1245776633-chalmersheadshot.jpegthumb-1245781925-buzzard_b.c..jpg

Big plus to you for sharing. Too bad about the guy.

Nate Suffield from Indiana would be a decent pick in the middle rounds, but I'm the only one around here who seems to like him.

Indiana has had maybe 4 good seasons in my lifetime. The guy is pretty damn good, he gets drafted by somebody no doubt.

Nate Suffield from Indiana would be a decent pick in the middle rounds, but I'm the only one around here who seems to like him.

Actually Sudfeld was my proposed Day-three flyer pick. I saw moments in IU games that were "wow"... others not so much. Draft Scout has him rated as a 7th rounder.

Also had Wisconsin's Stave as my UDFA.

So what you are saying is, the wiener-lick makes picking QB a science? What you are saying is that if you rate the NFL Quarterbacks in order of performance, what you will find is that their wiener-lick scores will line up in the same descending order from highers to lowest? Because if that is not the case, then there is really no fucking validity to this asshole scale which is nothing more than some dickfuck who was successful at selling dumb NFL execs (Phil Sewage, Haslam, Lerner, Holmgren) some high priced bullshit.

Draft gurus? Which of them have been accurate Larry? Fucking none of them. You can't judge a man by any analytical process. Lynch is the best QB in the draft. He will far surpass Goff, who holds the ball so fucking long it isn't even funny, and Wentz, who is colt McCoy in a larger size.

It's just a part of the equation Tom. I'm sure some Mensa dudes could ace it, and have zero athletic ability. IIRC, Ryan Fitzpatrick had one of the highest scores ever, but turned into a so-so qb. There were a few low scoring outliers like Bradshaw and Marino, It just give teams pause to think if a quarterback they're considering has a low score.

You have to have some criteria- or you may as well throw darts at names on a wall.

ps = If I wasn't correct, Sashi would have at least tried to get him. He traded down because I am correct. I hope he takes Lynch, I hope Lynch is still around.

ps- Chip Kelly is on line 1, he wants Lynch at 7 :o

Larry, statistical analysis of human beings will never, ever even approach the accuracy of those, like me, who judge people based on human, and not numerical qualities. Things like the wiener-lick test, like man-made-climate-change culture, are designed by assholes who know enough equations to smoke-and mirror themselves into fame and fortune. In the real world? after the fact, without exception, without one single fucking exception, none of these statistical models ever are proven to be even as accurate as random guesses.

Proof? You can't name one fucking statistical model that over time has proven accurate enough to have become a staple for the NFL. Paul Brown's playbook.........despite all the fucking jackoff computer models and studies, is the foundation of every modern-day playbook.

When it comes to QBs, there are only two factors that make or break a guy, physically speaking. A quick release, and an accurate arm. The rest is all bullshit. Kosar, Fouts, Marino and Stabler were all slower than fuck, but it didn't matter, they ALL got rid of the ball before anyone could react to wtf they were doing.

Chick Noll, in the 80s, said of Kosar (I will look see for the exact quote)..."no matter how you blitz the guy you can't sack him, he gets rid of the ball before anyone can get to him. So too, Lynch has the quickest release and the best accuracy of this group of QBs. He will do better than any of them. Goff, I am telling you, if fucking Tim Couch. This guy holds on to the ball soo fucking long it is unbelievable. He is going to be a sitting duck, an interception and sack prone. He will not be in the NFL after 3 years, he is That much of a bust.

Paxton? You're getting behind a guy named "Paxton"?!? Probably isn't the first time you've been in that position...

ps = If I wasn't correct, Sashi would have at least tried to get him. He traded down because I am correct. I hope he takes Lynch, I hope Lynch is still around.

It's the other way around Mr Ghoolie. :) you should listen to all of Sashi's 20 minute Q&A press conference. He pretty plainly said- the reward of getting all those extra picks was worth passing on either Goff or Wentz. We liked them- but we liked the extra picks better. They discussed it in detail for weeks before they pulled the trigger on that deal. It's entirely possible he was slinging around BS. If he's right- he's going to look like a genius. If he drafts guys like Greg Little and Owen Marecic, and Goff\Wentz turn into multiple Pro Bowl quarterbacks, he just bought his ticket out of town.

Now regarding your fave Lynch- should the Browns take him, I won't be upset. Sure, he has a big arm. So freaking what- so did Derek Anderson and Brandon Wee-Done. An inaccurate cannon is damn near worthless. There are reports he has accuracy issues. He wasn't required to look past his #1 option WR often, if at all. That spells death in the NFL. His best accuracy is rolling out to his right- shades of Johnny Football, where you effectively cut the field in half. Despite the big arm- he was captain check down at Memphis- I'm not going to bother to look up the stats to prove a significant percentage of Lynch's passes were for less than 10 yards. The QB geeks say his mechanics are pretty much a mess- especially his footwork- so he's a major work in progress in that regard. Damn this has all the makings of a draft a few years back, where guys like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder got drafted way before they should have been. If that turns out to be right the Rams, Eagles and whichever team drafts Lynch are going to be sorry.

So if your Zen meditation says Lynch is Da Bomb- I hope so, and he's not just #20 something on that infamous quarterback jersey.

When it comes to QBs, there are only two factors that make or break a guy, physically speaking. A quick release, and an accurate arm. The rest is all bullshit. Kosar, Fouts, Marino and Stabler were all slower than fuck, but it didn't matter, they ALL got rid of the ball before anyone could react to wtf they were doing.

Chick Noll, in the 80s, said of Kosar (I will look see for the exact quote)..."no matter how you blitz the guy you can't sack him, he gets rid of the ball before anyone can get to him. So too, Lynch has the quickest release and the best accuracy of this group of QBs. He will do better than any of them. Goff, I am telling you, if fucking Tim Couch. This guy holds on to the ball soo fucking long it is unbelievable. He is going to be a sitting duck, an interception and sack prone. He will not be in the NFL after 3 years, he is That much of a bust.

You actually nailed it. Congrats.

I'm not sold on Paxton Lynch like you, but this rant needs to be sent to ESPN, NFL Network, etc. Seemingly 5-6 months of draft analysis simplified by a fan. Good job.

Chuck Noll said all of that? NostraNollus???

Archived