THE BROWNS BOARD

Who do you want at 8?

Hoodums19

Guess I need to watch some film on Kyle Murphy...

• The Browns are reportedly considering Michigan State OT Jack Conklin with their No. 8 overall pick, according to Tony Pauline..

Who is Tony Pauline?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Guess I need to watch some film on Kyle Murphy...

2. Who is Tony Pauline?

2. Maybe the Victor Victoria of Walter football?

1. ... and so I did... Here's Mr. Murphy....

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124489&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

Against NW: no kick... no technique... waist bender who got ripped alot... moves well and gets to 2nd level, but cannot track/sustain blocks... slow to no reaction to stunts. Estimate about a -10 grade for the first half.

Against UCLA; Kicking pretty well.... Had help almost entire 1st Qtr, run and pass. Opposite was content to lay on him... no challenge. Q2 went solo and fared well.... Did meet Clark 1-on-1 once on a run and got mauled.

Against Cal: Same as UCLA, better tech, but not challenged by his opposite.

Bottom line: NW was 1st game of season so maybe KM improved, but maybe his NW opposite was a better player than UCLA or Cal had to offer. Hard to know...

Meanwhile.... How good is McCaffrey? Wow...

Also the NW game was not a complete loss as a potential UFA DE/OLB named Deonte Gibson played really well... gave Murphy fits. Gibson looked fast, strong and relentless... at least for one week.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120081&draftyear=2016&genpos=DE

"Meanwhile.... How good is McCaffrey? Wow..."

There is a reason he will win the Heisman this coming year. If we are set for QB first next year, too bad. A very special player who makes his dad look mediocre (as a Bronco WR no less) in comparison.

Edit: For darren--Conklin at #8? Please God fire them all immediately if they do that with no trade down. They can take a decent ROT @ # 32.

Who I want at 8 but there is little chance on some and no chance on others are: Buckner, Wentz, Goff, Tunsil, Ramsey, or Elliot. I would like to say Jack but like someone said earlier; we don't do well on health gambles. If we cannot get any of the above mentioned; I would like to trade back for more picks as well if possible because this draft is just not deep with top ten prospects. I am not saying there are not many that might turn out to be good or better. I am just saying the potential does not fit the pick.

Also the NW game was not a complete loss as a potential UFA DE/OLB named Deonte Gibson played really well... gave Murphy fits. Gibson looked fast, strong and relentless... at least for one week.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120081&draftyear=2016&genpos=DE

Reading that info, it sounds like he had a monster game against Wisconsin.

I agree with you on both of them. Jack's injury seems minor, but Jaylon Smith may fall all the way down to day 3. Shades of Ifo. And regarding taking guys with college injuries, I still can't forget Hardly played Hardesty.

Regarding Buckner- I posted it elsewhere- he didn't do well on the wunderlic.

When Gipper asked us to list who we would want at #4 overall before our official trade back. I prematurely listed Jack while stating I didn't know Jack. That was before I saw some highlights of Jack doing on the field drills and he was really favoring the knee in one of the drills he had to change direction in while almost falling twice. Pre-injury, an unparalleled change of direction/agility in tandem with ideal instincts is what separated him from others at the position. If post-injury removes 50% of that, 8 might be too risky for a team that cannot afford to mess up any more 1st round picks.

• The Browns are reportedly considering Michigan State OT Jack Conklin with their No. 8 overall pick, according to Tony Pauline.
  • Pauline adds that Cleveland desperately needs a right tackle, and Conklin happens to be a prospect they’ve met “extensively” with at his Pro Day.

The analytics would say that's way too high to take a right tackle, now if he's still there at #32- maybe. I like the idea of a WR at that spot better. We didn't take Schwartz until the second round.

MHO is if we stay @ #8, we're going for an impact player- a RT doesn't fill the bill.

For Buckner not to do well in the wunderkind is that a big deal?

Maybe, maybe not. It's certainly an indicator for quarterbacks.

You can take these lists FWIW- Frank Gore and Morris Claiborne are on them. A little surprised about Marino- he comes off as more intelligent than that.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/football-sports/10-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-history/?view=all

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-10-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-history/?view=all

As someone said about Terry Bradshaw- he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the C and T.

& really- here's a sample question.

"Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?"

Most anyone could figure this one out IF they had unlimited time to think about it- but you only have 12 minutes on the Wunderlich. that works out to around 15 seconds per question.

The analytics would say that's way too high to take a right tackle, now if he's still there at #32- maybe. I like the idea of a WR at that spot better. We didn't take Schwartz until the second round.

MHO is if we stay @ #8, we're going for an impact player- a RT doesn't fill the bill.

Yeah, it would be nice to see a playmaker at 8. We'll see.

Mike

• The Browns are reportedly considering Michigan State OT Jack Conklin with their No. 8 overall pick, according to Tony Pauline.
  • Pauline adds that Cleveland desperately needs a right tackle, and Conklin happens to be a prospect they’ve met “extensively” with at his Pro Day.

Prefer a playmaker......WR/DE/OLB. It is one thing to take a LOT that high, quite another to take a ROT. 2d round at highest at that spot. We got Schwartz and Bito in round 2.....we can get a decent OL there this time as well.

Great minds think alike.

You can take these lists FWIW- Frank Gore and Morris Claiborne are on them. A little surprised about Marino- he comes off as more intelligent than that.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/football-sports/10-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-history/?view=all

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-10-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-history/?view=all

As someone said about Terry Bradshaw- he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the C and T.

That was Thomas Hollywood Henderson

& really- here's a sample question.

"Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?"

Most anyone could figure this one out IF they had unlimited time to think about it- but you only have 12 minutes on the Wunderlich. that works out to around 15 seconds per question.

It only takes 15 seconds to answer.....the answer is -0- They agreed to split profit equally....not pro rata per investment. They all get the same amount.

Good point about Bradshaw Hoorta! Some people forget Bradshaw was still getting benched as late as his 4th NFL season. Jim Kelly couldn't remember his score but made a joke he thought he got something like a 2 on the thing. How much did that Wunderlic score Jim Kelly wanted to forget prevent him from calling his own plays in one of the most efficient orchestrations of the no huddle offense we've witnessed in the AFC over a 4 year stretch? None whatsoever.

Meanwhile, Johnny Manziel had a higher Wunderlic score than Bortles, Carr and Teddy B. Where did that get us?

It only takes 15 seconds to answer.....the answer is -0- They agreed to split profit equally....not pro rata per investment. They all get the same amount.

That is called the Kobayashi Maru. I refused to accept the premise of the question, but instead decided to take the reality of the situation in hand.

In other words, I cheated.

Good point about Bradshaw Hoorta! Some people forget Bradshaw was still getting benched as late as his 4th NFL season. Jim Kelly couldn't remember his score but made a joke he thought he got something like a 2 on the thing. How much did that Wunderlic score Jim Kelly wanted to forget prevent him from calling his own plays in one of the most efficient orchestrations of the no huddle offense we've witnessed in the AFC over a 4 year stretch? None whatsoever.

Meanwhile, Johnny Manziel had a higher Wunderlic score than Bortles, Carr and Teddy B. Where did that get us?

In my opinion Johnny has a personality disorder. But he's not stupid. Then again like Richard Pryor said about Leon Spinks how smart do you have to be? What do you do brother Leon? "I knock mother fuckers out."

WSS

But the scientist in me says- that's not what was asked. :) It's a classic if\ then question. The total investment was 20k. 9k of 20k = 45%. So 45% of $4,800 = $2160. (1\3 of $4800 = $1600) $2160 - $1600 = $560. So if you can figure that out in your head in 15 seconds, you ARE a F**king genius.

The answer had damn well be multiple choice.

So if you want to deny the initial contract clause negates the advanced math-

In my opinion Johnny has a personality disorder. But he's not stupid. Then again like Richard Pryor said about Leon Spinks how smart do you have to be? What do you do brother Leon? "I knock mother fuckers out."

WSS

Classic line from Leon Spinks.

Guys like Brady Quinn and Kyle Boller were smart dudes academically. That said, they couldn't speed read their progressions up to snuff with the speed of the NFL game. Consequently, they looked deaf, dumb and blind in the pocket even if they sho played a mean pinball with a #2 pencil in Indy. Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't always played like one would expect from the mind of one of the best Wunderlic scores ever up until he had the catch radius of Brandon Marshall. How many takers did he get in free agency including the Jets?

And then there's Brett Favre asking Ty Detmer 1-2 years into his gig in Green Bay - what the Hell is a nickel? That came from the son of a high school football coach in the Big Easy. Sounds like it could have been part of a Neil Young video. I'll bet there's a lot more dumb jocks than Brett Favre, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino. Who here thinks Cam Newton is the brightest apple in the orchard? I'm guessing the only thing he didn't leave blank was his name. Doe anyone understand why Dick Vermeil had burnout in Philly? He had one of dumbest QBs of all time Ron Jaworski that he had to spend most of his waking hours explaining film to. Today, poor Greg Cosell carries that cross. Here's how good he is at breaking down film today when flying solo while Greg Cosell is on vacation - "I don't understand how Joe Thomas keeps making all these Pro Bowls." Is there a better way to tell Dick Vermeil how much he misses him?

Here's the thing IMO. If Jim Kelly loves him some NFL football career - guess what he can do? Invest enough time in the film room above and beyond the practice field so he can call his own plays in an NFL offense that went to 4 consecutive Superbowls. Who gives the first shit about what he can do with a number 2 pencil vs the clock when he's much more brilliant with the football? I'd rather have our FO researching CHARACTER ISSUES on guys like Justin Gilbert, Josh Gordon, Johnny Manziel, Armonty Bryant, and Davon Bess. The FOs we've counted on looked like they wanted us to be an on-going Cheech and Chong sequel.

But the scientist in me says- that's not what was asked. :) It's a classic if\ then question. The total investment was 20k. 9k of 20k = 45%. So 45% of $4,800 = $2160. (1\3 of $4800 = $1600) $2160 - $1600 = $560. So if you can figure that out in your head in 15 seconds, you ARE a F**king genius.

The answer had damn well be multiple choice.

So if you want to deny the initial contract clause negates the advanced math-

Well, the lawyer in me says: the math IS meaningless/superfluous as the initial contract said they would share profits equally. I have had to deal with real life situations of this nature.....and I would have never bothered to deal in they hypothetical when the client asks how much cashish he is going to pocket.

Archived