THE BROWNS BOARD

Who do you want at 8?

Hoodums19

Now, if he's not there, than I think it's time to look at Bosa...even though I REALLY don't want him. According to our radio guys, and various other news reports, Bosa is better tailored to be a 4-3 DE. This is NOT to say that he can't learn the OLB position, but for immediate impact, I believe it's safe to say that he will be a situational player, and not an immediate starter. This is normal for many college pass rushers that make the transition to OLB in the pros.

Except for the fact that you are missing the obvious: Bosa would play DE in the 3-4, not OLB....and he would be fine doing so.

He is not a niche player.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know zero about Buckner. Any games that I should watch where he stands out?

ASU may have been his most impressive against good competition, but tape is not at DraftBreakdown.

Try the Stanford game... http://draftbreakdown.com/players/deforest-buckner/

EDIT: Well, shit... now blocked by PAC-10 Network... rat bastards... TCU works...

It's fit and projection more than knee. I watched a good amount, and my draft nerd analyst friend has been adamantly against picking him since the season. He predicted the hype would blow up like it has too.

Being a SoCal guy and both USC & UCLA fan, I've seen each and every one of the kid's games, and he's the real deal. Play maker that stands out all over the field, much like E Rock or Troy Polamalu did. I knew both those guys would star in the NFL, and I have the same feeling about Jack based on several years of watching.

^ That being said, the knee has me a bit concerned.

Only way I want them to take Lynch now is if they believed all along that he was the best QB in the draft.

I've changed my opinion of this deal... I like the players that are likely to be a available at that position and the picks gained more than make up the spot. I'm more disappointed in the Rams trade up to #1, because I think that cinched the Browns not getting their guy. The consolation prize at eight I don't think will be any worse than the one they would have selected at #2.

That mock also has the Browns taking Braxton Miller and the German kid to fill the WR holes. Walter's blood sugar must have been low.

Ha- make it an OSU draft- Elliot, Decker, Miller, Jones.

Gip would say Bosa but my bet is he'll be gone by #8.

Here is how the first 7 picks could shake out: http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

If it goes like this, we have to take Zeke IMO. Could be a dynamic running offense next year.

I totally agree but I just have a hard time seeing Elliot getting past Dallas. They need him right now to go deep in the playoffs with a healthy Romo.

He would be right up there with Smith and Dorsett as the best they ever had. Murray has proven with the Eagles that it was the OL not the RB, so think how much better that offense will be with Elliott.

I totally agree but I just have a hard time seeing Elliot getting past Dallas. They need him right now to go deep in the playoffs with a healthy Romo.

They can have him. Elliott is undoubtedly a talented player and will fit in pretty much any team and scheme. But we don't need that - we just need someone who can excel in our scheme.

We can pick up an Alfred Morris type much later and address areas that are harder to fill as the draft goes on.

Need?

Well we arguably need a blue-chip quarterback and they've decided to pass on that. Personally I think a blue-chip running back in the manner of an Adrian Peterson could be a blessing for this team.

So I'd have no bitch with picking up Ezekiel Elliott. I don't expect it to happen but I'm fine with it.

WSS

Need?

Well we arguably need a blue-chip quarterback and they've decided to pass on that. Personally I think a blue-chip running back in the manner of an Adrian Peterson could be a blessing for this team.

So I'd have no bitch with picking up Ezekiel Elliott. I don't expect it to happen but I'm fine with it.

WSS

I wouldn't cry about it for sure, I just don't think it is the best use of resources. It'll certainly keep fans more engaged than, say, tunsil.

Need?

WSS

Charlie Casserly this morning says Dallas takes Bosa and Zeke falls to the Browns.

Edit: Here are the rest of them on NFL.com this morning.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts

My two absolute favorite guys are Jaylon Smith, linebacker from ND, and Myles Jack, linebacker from UCLA. Now damn our bad luck for them BOTH having severe knee injuries. Jack seems to be way better off than Smith, but can our franchise...the snake-bitten franchise from hell...really take a gamble on a bad knee? I just don't think so. Not UNLESS his medical re-check went PERFECT. We desperately need a badass, playmaking stud in the middle of our defense. Lord we need it.

My gut tells me we simply CAN'T gamble on an injured player. Not the Browns...not now. The more I start to look at the teams in front of us, the more I honestly believe DeForest Buckner will be our pick. He just feels like he fills such a big need. We need run stopping help, and pass rushing help. Generally 3-4 DE's aren't known for their sack numbers, but a few are. This guy Buckner fills up the stat sheet in all the right ways. Just makes so much sense. I love Ramsey, but he won't get past the Ravens...who are desperately in need of secondary help. Lord, I hate the Ravens, and they will get my favorite guy. Dammit.

Charlie Casserly this morning says Dallas takes Bosa and Zeke falls to the Browns.

Edit: Here are the rest of them on NFL.com this morning.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts

When asked he also said he expects Browns to trade out of 8

My two absolute favorite guys are Jaylon Smith, linebacker from ND, and Myles Jack, linebacker from UCLA. Now damn our bad luck for them BOTH having severe knee injuries. Jack seems to be way better off than Smith, but can our franchise...the snake-bitten franchise from hell...really take a gamble on a bad knee? I just don't think so. Not UNLESS his medical re-check went PERFECT. We desperately need a badass, playmaking stud in the middle of our defense. Lord we need it.

My gut tells me we simply CAN'T gamble on an injured player. Not the Browns...not now. The more I start to look at the teams in front of us, the more I honestly believe DeForest Buckner will be our pick. He just feels like he fills such a big need. We need run stopping help, and pass rushing help. Generally 3-4 DE's aren't known for their sack numbers, but a few are. This guy Buckner fills up the stat sheet in all the right ways. Just makes so much sense. I love Ramsey, but he won't get past the Ravens...who are desperately in need of secondary help. Lord, I hate the Ravens, and they will get my favorite guy. Dammit.

If anyone can it will be us or SF, with the number of picks we have. If he is slipping like lattimoere a few years ago then a day three pick is very low risk, huge reward.

We can pick up an Alfred Morris type much later and address areas that are harder to fill as the draft goes on.

Problem is who is that and will we be in a position to take them?

I love two Day 2 RBs that I think would not duplicate either of our tandem of Crow & Duke, LaTech's Dixon and Arkansas' Williams. But the former is a likely late 2nd/early 3rd and the latter a 3/4, and there are so many other players lining up for Day 2.

Any RBs you see falling to Day 3?

I wouldn't cry about it for sure, I just don't think it is the best use of resources. It'll certainly keep fans more engaged than, say, tunsil.

Well.... taking Tunsil then turning around and trading Joe for a R1 and change would certainly "engage the fans"... B)

Except for the fact that you are missing the obvious: Bosa would play DE in the 3-4, not OLB....and he would be fine doing so.

He is not a niche player.

I think he'd move back and forth in our system. There's absolutely nothing that Horton asks of Kruger that Bosa can't learn to do and probably do better. Bosa is a strict jack OLB'er.

I'm starting to talk myself into Zeke Elliott, and it's starting to feel really good. What better way to protect your QB than to draft a RB that can do it all? I didn't watch too much of Zeke, but I'm pretty sure he's a 3 down back. We could also run some two back sets with him and Duke, and get a little creative. In a round about way, a powerful running back can also help the defense. If we can keep the ball on the ground, extend some drives, use some clock...then our defense gets to rest. I know it's a stretch, but it kind of makes a little sense, right? (I can talk myself into anything btw).

But guys, the more I read about the #8 pick, the more I'm almost CERTAIN that we're trading back once again. It appears to be either with the Dolphins at 13, or the QB needy Jets at 20. Obviously, #13 sounds infinitely better than 20, but I'd take either one at this point. I'd say a deal to move back is almost certain at this point. Oh, and want another? It would NOT surprise me to see us trade Joe Thomas on Day 1 too. Watch us trade him to someone like the Broncos for their late first round pick. IF that happens, we'll take Ronnie Stanley or Conklin with our first pick. I think it's about to get crazy next week, boys.

Who I'll be thrilled with @ 8:

Jack

Ramsey

Who I'll be OK with @ 8:

Elliot

Bosa

Tunsil

Who I'll hate @ 8:

Lynch

Buckner

(I can talk myself into anything btw).

But guys, the more I read about the #8 pick, the more I'm almost CERTAIN that we're trading back once again. It appears to be either with the Dolphins at 13, or the QB needy Jets at 20. Obviously, #13 sounds infinitely better than 20, but I'd take either one at this point. I'd say a deal to move back is almost certain at this point. Oh, and want another? It would NOT surprise me to see us trade Joe Thomas on Day 1 too. Watch us trade him to someone like the Broncos for their late first round pick. IF that happens, we'll take Ronnie Stanley or Conklin with our first pick. I think it's about to get crazy next week, boys.

Then stop talking... ;)

Sashi said they think the guy they would have taken at #2 has a chance to be there at #8. If he's not, then the trade down is on...

Also agree on Thomas, but Lord, please not because we took Stanley or Conklin...

Side story: In one of the funnier moments of the Kiper-McShay Mock last evening, Todd accused Mel of have "a Conklin fettish".

EDIT: MMQB just mocked a trade down to 13 with Miami.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/21/nfl-mock-draft-trades

I think he'd move back and forth in our system. There's absolutely nothing that Horton asks of Kruger that Bosa can't learn to do and probably do better. Bosa is a strict jack OLB'er.

That I agree with... but that is also not a very high bar.

That I agree with... but that is also not a very high bar.

I don't get the angst about turning Bosa into a 3-4 OLB'er so long as the particular 3-4 scheme allows for that strong side hybrid and doesn't ask him to go out and track TE's or RB's. I think he'd do htat just fine. He'd probably be an even better run defender from the standup.

I agree with you on both of them. Jack's injury seems minor, but Jaylon Smith may fall all the way down to day 3. Shades of Ifo. And regarding taking guys with college injuries, I still can't forget Hardly played Hardesty.

Regarding Buckner- I posted it elsewhere- he didn't do well on the wunderlic.

Then stop talking... ;)

Sashi said they think the guy they would have taken at #2 has a chance to be there at #8. If he's not, then the trade down is on...

Also agree on Thomas, but Lord, please not because we took Stanley or Conklin...

Side story: In one of the funnier moments of the Kiper-McShay Mock last evening, Todd accused Mel of have "a Conklin fettish".

EDIT: MMQB just mocked a trade down to 13 with Miami.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/21/nfl-mock-draft-trades

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/22/11486548/cleveland-browns-2016-nfl-draft-needs-trade

• The Browns are reportedly considering Michigan State OT Jack Conklin with their No. 8 overall pick, according to Tony Pauline.

Pauline adds that Cleveland desperately needs a right tackle, and Conklin happens to be a prospect they’ve met “extensively” with at his Pro Day.

I agree with you on both of them. Jack's injury seems minor, but Jaylon Smith may fall all the way down to day 3. Shades of Ifo. And regarding taking guys with college injuries, I still can't forget Hardly played Hardesty.

Regarding Buckner- I posted it elsewhere- he didn't do well on the wunderlic.

For Buckner not to do well in the wunderkind is that a big deal?

Archived