THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 O-Line Draft: Offensive Tackles

Tour2ma

2016 O-Line Draft: Offensive Tackles

Here are the OTs I am planning to break down this year in order as ranked by DraftScout as of 2/11/16:

I'll start separate threads for OGs and Cs...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

This kid is the real deal and the class of this OT crop. Picture belongs in the dictionary next to "Athletic Big Man". He is easily worthy of #1 overall consideration.

Excepting a kick step his form is extraordinarily well developed. Knee bend is there. Feet are quick and chop him into position with no need to reach. Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.

In addition to great feet, he really hand fights well. Adapt at countering rushers' hands with sweeps and punches.

If Laremy lacks anything, it's "mean". Pops targets hard in run blocking, but does not bury them. Might be a muscle mass issue.

Fun clip of the year here: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=259503&start=700&end=710

Edit: The above link is supposed to go automatically to the 7:00 mark, but you may have to jump there manually.

If Decker makes it to the 2nd round or later, I wouldn't terribly mind a buckeye on the line.

Not seeing that happen... Of those I've seen so far, Decker is 2nd best OT in the draft.

Athletically the fall off from Tunsil, while noticeable, is not dramatic. On the other hand the fall off below Decker starts approaching dramatic.

2. Taylor Decker (THE OSU) 6'7 315 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=122692&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

Whereas Tunsil was essentially the quality of player he is throughout his 2015 season, Decker is a kid who improved through the year. His progress is demonstrated in my raw notes...

vs. VaTech: No kick step. Slide steps in PassPro losing width. Shields more than blocks in PassPro, but moves well staying in front of smaller, faster rushers. Drive blocks in run game.

vs. Michigan: D is getting under pads early. No "pop" early. Drives run blocks. Decent feet and better mechanics. Not hand fighting, rather is latching on. Called for two holds. Appeared nervous early; slowly settled into game.

vs. Notre Dame: Many plays opposite Day. Better overall mechanics. Good position discipline giving runner clear read of where block is. Does not chase stunts. Setting well in PassPro.

Although still raw in comparison to Tunsil, Decker showed growth to match his athleticism... and he definitely has some "nasty".

Thanks T, can we get a estimated round value? if possible. rock on

Sure... I can give my take on where each prospect is worth considering...

• Tunsil: high 1st... easy top 5... possible #1.
  • Decker: middle first, 15-20 range-ish
What I can't do is predict, since so much depends on the crowding out by other positions.

X. Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame) 6'6 315 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125299&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

My first, head-scratching, "maybe he might be better inside???" candidate. Missing most major fundamental skills for OT. But he also tends to dance with run blocks rather than drive them, so how does that make him an inside candidate?

Early in 2015 he was crossing his feet instead of sliding to edge rushers. Did seem to overcome this deadly bad habit through the season, but still played with narrow stance in PassPro and added a weird back-peddle better suited for a DB. Has no kick step and bad knee flex.

Briefly flashed some decent chop and hand fighting in game vs. THE OSU, but played way too upright. In bowl game vs. Clemson he faced Lawson often and frequently looked overmatched. Really exposed his lack of athletic feet that both Tunsil and Decker have. Lawson threw a spin move at Stanley to which he responded with a fine form tackle.

Not sure where to place him, but definitely not in Round 1. For now he gets an "X" until I can see how low he drops on my "board". Likely a Day 2 guy, I think he needs a good combine to stay in Round 2. Have to see athletic numbers so know that if the technique comes, then so will a viable OL.

:lol:

Might want to get a word to walter football rankings. Had Stanley @11 to bears 1st round. Shaq Lawson was a 2nd rounder. God hates all Mock Drafts & all that think they qualify B) Get'em Tour

Y. Jack Conklin (MSU) - 6'6 318 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106344&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

ND's Stanley may have looked less athletic than my top two OTs, but Conklin was the first OT to prompt me to write "heavy-footed"... and he did so repeatedly. He also tends to play high.

Here we may have a legit inside candidate as he is very good with his upper body, playing strong with extended arms. But his drop in athleticism cannot be ignored.

MSU was so run oriented and successful doing it that the tape is not as determinative as it is for others OTs. So Conklin is another OT who needs a good Combine in my opinion. But where Stanley has a chance to flash some athleticism, I don't see Conklin as likely to do so.

Again... I see a Day 2 guy.

Z. Shon Coleman (AUB) - 6'6 318 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106298&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

Enough of the downer talk... can't someone show the potential to actually rise up a board? Maybe, just maybe...

At least Coleman is another player that developed through the year. Early on vs. Ole Miss he showed signs of PassPro technique including a a baby kick step, but was stiff legged and a step slow. He was also tentative in space as if he was afraid to miss a block, and as a result he often never got in position to make one. In run-blocking he often delivered a nice thump, but failed to drive on.

Later vs. TAMU he got plenty of practice run blocking and looked much improved doing it. Finally vs. BAMA he showed signs of PassPro technique and some real punch in his blocking. Much "looser" looking with some real flow to his game.

Were it not for true a dark-horse I am still working up, I might be a whole lot more intrigued by Mr. Coleman.

DraftScout has Coleman on the Rnd 1/2 cusp... seems about right. Which way he falls will depend a lot upon the slides I see for Stanley and Conklin materializing.

We got some positive words from Joe Thomas on the left side today. The way this is sounding on the right side? Tour you may want to call Schwartz on our behave & givem the lingo $$$

1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

This kid is the real deal and the class of this OT crop. Picture belongs in the dictionary next to "Athletic Big Man". He is easily worthy of #1 overall consideration.

Excepting a kick step his form is extraordinarily well developed. Knee bend is there. Feet are quick and chop him into position with no need to reach. Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.

In addition to great feet, he really hand fights well. Adapt at countering rushers' hands with sweeps and punches.

If Laremy lacks anything, it's "mean". Pops targets hard in run blocking, but does not bury them. Might be a muscle mass issue.

Fun clip of the year here: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=259503&start=700&end=710

Edit: The above link is supposed to go automatically to the 7:00 mark, but you may have to jump there manually.

You linked to a non-youtube site, to the start time won't work. Link to the youtube video itself and you should be fine

https://youtu.be/z7XXMlLb-Eg?t=7m

Which one is Ogbah in those clips? Did they match up with each other much?

Tunsil plays very low. Incredibly smooth. Makes it look easy.

Nice compliment to Myles.

Tour-did you get to watch any of those brilliant uncalled neck tackles he made on Myles Garrett the last two years as Garrett blew around him? :D

Pretty sure I did... ;)

Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.

As I recall there were a few, but only a couple I thought were holds. Mostly I saw an athletic OT laying on a fast, edge rusher who repeatedly tried the same, low, speed rush again and again and again.

Which one is Ogbah in those clips? Did they match up with each other much?

Heard his name a couple times in the audio track, but could not keep track of where Ogbah was. I do not recall him lining up across from Laremy, but since it's only easy to see in Quarters when LT is at the bottom of the line, I cannot say for sure.

X. Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame) 6'6 315 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125299&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

My first, head-scratching, "maybe he might be better inside???" candidate. Missing most major fundamental skills for OT. But he also tends to dance with run blocks rather than drive them, so how does that make him an inside candidate?

Early in 2015 he was crossing his feet instead of sliding to edge rushers. Did seem to overcome this deadly bad habit through the season, but still played with narrow stance in PassPro and added a weird back-peddle better suited for a DB. Has no kick step and bad knee flex.

Briefly flashed some decent chop and hand fighting in game vs. THE OSU, but played way too upright. In bowl game vs. Clemson he faced Lawson often and frequently looked overmatched. Really exposed his lack of athletic feet that both Tunsil and Decker have. Lawson threw a spin move at Stanley to which he responded with a fine form tackle.

Not sure where to place him, but definitely not in Round 1. For now he gets an "X" until I can see how low he drops on my "board". Likely a Day 2 guy, I think he needs a good combine to stay in Round 2. Have to see athletic numbers so know that if the technique comes, then so will a viable OL.

Nice write-up Tour! I'll bet he has a tendency over extend if he's got that bad habit of keeping his feet too close together. That'll get exposed big at the next level.

Pretty sure I did... ;)

As I recall there were a few, but only a couple I thought were holds. Mostly I saw an athletic OT laying on a fast, edge rusher who repeatedly tried the same, low, speed rush again and again and again.

It's his only move. Not sure if that's a good thing (for the potential still on the table) or a bad thing.

Always best to have a second move... just ask Mingo...

A. Jason Spriggs (IU) - 6'6 301 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125281&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

Introducing my 2016 dark horse... or at least the guy I thought would be from the time I first saw him. Now? He might still be.

Jason first caught my eye live, against the Buckeyes. A good game to be sure, but one which reinforced a flaw I saw earlier against FIU, which is to reach, get off-balance and leave himself open to be reversed upon. Bosa did this once to him, but was never able to repeat it. In a goal-line Lewis also out muscled him in back to back plays. But in space he beat Lewis repeatedly and locked up Bosa couldn't outmuscle him.

The FIU showed that Spriggs can get nasty. When a DE leapt to bat down a pass, Spriggs undercut him into an aerial cartwheel. He really faced no challenge against Rutgers and SIU barely tested him more, although a DE managed to wrong-foot him once.

I almost did not watch a 5th game. After four I was growing less and less impressed, but I cued up IU's bowl against Duke and saw my guy again. I can only guess that he healed up or, at the very least, rested up following his last Big 10 game. At any rate he was back. Feet were quick. Blocks were solid.

Spriggs reminds me of Schwartz when Mitch was a rookie. When Mitch was not really great at anything and at times looked awkward, but persevered and learned his craft until last year he looked like Joe's mirror-image. Can't be sure Spriggs can develop as well as fast, but the raw material seems to be there. Hands are very good, feet are OK. Needs a kick step and consistent knee bend.

After reading way too much Hallmark trying to find an Anniversary card for my wife this week, the offensive line prospects according to Tour is my kind of literature. Thanks for all the passion and goodies you gave us here and throughout this thread.

You're welcome, Flugs... and don't forget Valentine's Day ;)...

The sad thing is my wife and I can never find a decent restaurant without a 2-3 hour line on our anniversary. Everyone else in the country shows up to celebrate it with us. :lol: So today, our 46th, we're just going to a movie with friends and have some popcorn. :D :D

The sad thing is my wife and I can never find a decent restaurant without a 2-3 hour line on our anniversary. Everyone else in the country shows up to celebrate it with us. :lol: So today, our 46th, we're just going to a movie with friends and have some popcorn. :D :D

Congrats on 46....thats great!.....Were having a quiet day at home this year, but maybe the most appreciate Valentines day yet.....and I thought our 33 yrs were something else...:)

Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...

Archived