THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue To Not Hire An Offensive Coordinator?

bbedward

I assumed this would be the case and I like it. Taking the lead and trusting himself, Pettine could learn something in that...

Exactly

Yea but Pat never ran a successful offense in his career, whereas Hue has.

True, but this team's offensive talent is rather lacking, when compared with other offenses Hue ran, so I have my doubts as to the effectiveness of his strategy here.

I assumed this would be the case and I like it. Taking the lead and trusting himself, Pettine could learn something in that...

Bingo & well done on Pet. Don't see our division changing a damn thing in their defensive looks either. Hue is in the best situation to jump in & perform both duties. around here, damn it will be nice not to point a finger at anybody but yourself if it fails. That's what leaders are suppose to do. Now it's on the right personal & starts at a QB reading what he sees. This is where I think Dalton got better in 2015. Now lets hope Hue can get the ball out of Josh's hand & not hold it for Drago Ball!! Shur-lose never had a clue & never had Hue's experience in the same division.

Report: Browns' Hue Jackson meeting with Pep Hamilton

Jan 15 2016, 5:03 PMDan Wilkins

Introduced as the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, Hue Jackson is already putting together his staff for the 2016 season.

Jackson is meeting with former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton on Friday, according to Tony Grossi of ESPN.

While it's not yet clear which position Hamilton is being considered for, offensive coordinator is one of many roles Jackson will need to fill.

Hamilton, 41, returned to the NFL in 2013 after a brief stint at Stanford, overseeing the Colts' offense for two-plus seasons before being fired eight weeks into the 2015 campaign.

The unit was among the league's most productive before its slow start this past season, finishing 2014 ranked third in total yardage and sixth in points.

Jackson has not yet indicated whether he'd continue to call offensive plays as head coach, though he did maintain that responsibility during his one season at the helm of the Oakland Raiders in 2011.

He has the name...Pep

I don't know for sure; but, I think he wants to call the plays until the OC can prove to Hue that he is ready to take over the job. A lot of successful leaders will do things this way. They lead by example first and then when a follower shows enough potential, the leader will delegate to them. I could be wrong but it makes sense to me.

Pep is listed as a West Coast guy, but seemed more spread to me...

Pet did learn... He learned that an HC cannot focus on one side of the too much.

I can see an HC reserving play-calling responsibilities, but to not name an OC??? Don't like that at all. Among other things it creates too many direct reports for the HC at too many different levels in the Staff Organization.

Didn't the Browns go the "no-OC" route once before, under Pat Shur-loss? Here's hoping Hue has better results.

Marty, too... cost him his Browns HC gig...

I've listened to a bunch of PFF broadcasts breaking down Pep's failures with Luck, and boy were they legion. He would always have Luck doing 5-7 step drops and throwing deep despite the fact that their OL was average and Luck's deep ball is also pretty average. Made no sense yet the rammed that square peg into that round hole until the dang thing broke. He had pretty much zero running game whatsoever. No thank you.

Also strikes me as very dumb to not hire an OC.

head coach in the NFL is too time consuming a job by itself without trying to also handle the duties of an offensive coordinator, ESPECIALLY in your first year.

merely calling plays on gameday is altogether different. it is a good way for new blood to learn how you like to have your system run firsthand, including your philosophy and mindset behind it and what, when, where, and how to employ wrinkles you are partial to. hopefully they hire an OC...

merely calling plays on gameday is altogether different. it is a good way for new blood to learn how you like to have your system run firsthand, including your philosophy and mindset behind it and what, when, where, and how to employ wrinkles you are partial to. hopefully they hire an OC...

Good take right here......and, if I was putting a positive spin on no OC, this would be it.....

Im sure there will be someone, other than Hue, game planning and strategizing during the week

Good take right here......and, if I was putting a positive spin on no OC, this would be it.....

Im sure there will be someone, other than Hue, game planning and strategizing during the week

Associate HC and senior offensive Assistant seem like they fit the bill

Associate HC and senior offensive Assistant seem like they fit the bill

... not to mention Run Game Coordinator.

Cheez whiz....Thats a lotta titles.....

Next well have an associate offensive senior assistant coordinator in charge of run blocking and blitz protection......otherwise known as OLine coach

Archived