THE BROWNS BOARD

Hartline concussed

Kvoethe

Brian Hartline is in the NFL's concussion protocol, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

Nov 2 2015, 5:05 PMRotowire

Hartline is in the NFL's concussion protocol, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

Analysis:

Per the report, Hartline didn't report any concussion symptoms during or after Sunday's loss to the Cardinals, but the wideout came in Monday dealing with symptoms and now seems unlikely to play Thursday against the Bengals.

Maybe the late drops were a symptom???

I don't recall him taking a big shot Sunday. A week ago Sunday he took a huge one, but not this past Sunday that I can recall.

"Concussion Protcol" may be the two most used words in the league this season other than "touchdown pass". Starting to get a pretty stark look at what the players of yesteryear played with.

Get well, Hart...

This concussion thing is getting ridiculous...

With just Benji, Gabe, and Marlon Moore at WR looks like Bowe will be forced to start.

Jennings still sets on PS.. I do recall Hartline taking like the 3rd targeting head to head hit not called yesterday but showed up today? Mary kay Garbage to busy watching JM every move on sideline so she has no clue.

There were many, late hits out of bounds, roughing the passer, offensive pass interference on the Cardinals and hits to defenseless receivers yesterday that were not called. These refs need to be examined and terminated, calling an unfair game or providing an unfair advantage too many times this season. When Coach says we have to play a 'near-perfect' game to come out with a win, he's not exaggerating at all, these refs WATCH the BROWNS like fucking hawks, just waiting for us to make a mistake yet the other team practically gets away with murder.

Was reported that Pet sent tape to league on Rams hits. Yesterday was at least 2 on Josh & I believe Hartline was defenseless Receiver in the middle of the field. Lockett's hit at Dallas was the blowup of the year.

Lockett's hit at Dallas was the blowup of the year.

I know this is swimming against the tide and I am sorry as hell about Lockett's injury, but I do not for the life of me understand how that hit is coming under such heavy scrutiny.

Heath's action was a classic peel back by a member of the punt return team. Punt return teams have been coached to:

- peel to a side of the field,

- set up a wall on the run back upfield,

- and block punt cover players turning outside after running down the middle of the field.

It's been coached this way before even I was in High School. Coverage teams were coached to watch for us coming.

Lockette was distracted by hand fighting... even stumbles a bit a few yards before the hit.

The hit on Lockett was not even a true blindside.

Heath did not run into Lockette, just got in his path and braced.

Heath did not launch, he uncoiled.

Heath did not lead with his helmet; he used his shoulder.

Lockette did see Heath late, but not so late that he did not have time to tuck, lowering his head in the process. That was the cause of the injury... same as many before it... and many to come.

His chance of the injury he suffered would have been less had he not seen it coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcE2j8EQXJQ

Why no one should bitch why these guys get paid. Damn if you do & damn if you don't, but that head coil forward imo is the better option than that head snapping straight back if not seen it coming. Those are damn scary. Heath did nothing but brace for the hit absolutely T. Let me know who pays his fine, you know its coming..

His chance of the injury he suffered would have been less had he not seen it coming.

i agree w everything you said w exception to the above. the one's you don't see coming are some of the worst too. just to throw out some random examples Whitner's concussion was more of the "braced against" style, while Whines Hard and Harrison are/were masters of the "didn't see it coming" style hits...which were pretty devastating. a big Massaquoi hit comes to mind, as does a Daven Holly as far as the blind-siders. i dunno, either way has negatives, and I'm surely biased from all the MMA i watch where punches (to the jaw) you don't see coming nearly always = K.O.'s.

i believe his chance of injury would have diminished had he not braced against Heath's shoulder using his head, but bracing as opposed to getting blown up is unfortunately a reality of football. can't really win. players would look ridiculous taking hits like a flopping fish on the ground.

Evil Knievel going limp at impact might give him less injuries, but it sure wouldn't make for a good football player lol.

i have no answers, just chiming in that hits like Heath-->Lockett are nearly unavoidable, and the mentioned hits on the Browns--aside from Baby Hawk showing heart and taking on 300lb Fairley (or whoever that lineman was)--were all malicious or late and right on the line, if not over it.

i agree w Poetic's view on ref bias. or is that my view? one time this year i saw a penalty come when we needed it, and we still blew it anyway. missed opportunities, the story of life.

i agree w everything you said w exception to the above. the one's you don't see coming are some of the worst too. just to throw out some random examples Whitner's concussion was more of the "braced against" style, while Whines Hard and Harrison are/were masters of the "didn't see it coming" style hits...which were pretty devastating. a big Massaquoi hit comes to mind, as does a Daven Holly as far as the blind-siders.

I appreciate what you are saying.

What I see that was potentially different in Lockett's case was the neck trauma he suffered. If he took that shot to the sternum rather than the crown of his head, then I doubt he suffers the neck damage he did. For that to happen though he would have to not see it coming. No doubt he is still hurt, but may not have been injured... at least not as badly. But that's all conjecture on my part.

Dropping shoulders, or ducking, to receive a blow is instinctual. Dropping them to deliver a blow is trained. Keeping the head up to "see what you hit" when delivering a blow is also trained, but even then players, especially smaller players, are prone to ducking their head. Lowering the head when you see a blow coming is instinctual as well. And that is what Lockett did... as did, once upon a time, Daryl Stingley.

I can't recall Ward causing serious injury to a player. He concussed more than his share in a time when that kind of thing was still part of the game, but used his shoulder up high to do so and he was not tall enough to head hunt. Only complaint I ever had about him was when he targeted defenders that had no chance of getting in on the play.

Harrison? Whole different story IMO... He was a head hunter who used his giant head on top of his tree trunk neck as a battering ram on anything that came his way. Seemed to me to be clear that his goal was to injure opponents.

As I predicted this concussion protocol is becoming a major blow to the NFL.

Word play? ;)

It certainly is increasing the need for depth. How long until rosters are expanded?

And how long until a player's concussion history causes his forced medical "retirement" from the league? I think that even Wes Welker with his considerable history is still eligible to play.

Archived