THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas doesnt want traded

Kvoethe

Browns' Thomas says he doesn't want to be traded ahead of Tuesday's deadline

Nov 1 2015, 11:11 PMArun Srinivasan

With the NFL trade deadline approaching, Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas made it clear that he doesn't intend to be moving anywhere.

The eight-time Pro Bowler was adamant that he wants to remain in Cleveland for the duration of his career, despite the team's 2-6 record.

Thomas, along with Alex Mack, Paul Kruger, and Barkevious Mingo are widely rumored to be on the trade block ahead of Tuesday's 4 p.m. deadline.

"I'm not a quitter,'' Thomas said Sunday to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. "I'm not a guy that gives up on my goals and my goal from day one was to be part of the turnaround here and that hasn't changed."

Thomas is arguably the NFL's best left tackle and spent his entire career with the Browns after being selected third overall in 2007.

"The reality of it is we're right now a 2-6 team and the trade deadline is coming up,'' Thomas said. "If you're a team that doesn't have a winning record I imagine it happens all the time where teams will call up your team and find out if you're available for a trade. It's happened in the past with me in my career. But it's out of my control. I want to be here. I want to finish my career here. I want to be part of the turnaround here."

If Thomas is traded against his will to a Super Bowl contender, perhaps his tone will change. Nonetheless, it's an eminently positive sign for the Browns that the longtime franchise stalwart isn't going to be easily swayed by the allure of a contender.

Browns' Thomas says he doesn't want to be traded ahead of Tuesday's deadline

Nov 1 2015, 11:11 PMArun Srinivasan

With the NFL trade deadline approaching, Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas made it clear that he doesn't intend to be moving anywhere.

The eight-time Pro Bowler was adamant that he wants to remain in Cleveland for the duration of his career, despite the team's 2-6 record.

Thomas, along with Alex Mack, Paul Kruger, and Barkevious Mingo are widely rumored to be on the trade block ahead of Tuesday's 4 p.m. deadline.

"I'm not a quitter,'' Thomas said Sunday to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. "I'm not a guy that gives up on my goals and my goal from day one was to be part of the turnaround here and that hasn't changed."

Thomas is arguably the NFL's best left tackle and spent his entire career with the Browns after being selected third overall in 2007.

"The reality of it is we're right now a 2-6 team and the trade deadline is coming up,'' Thomas said. "If you're a team that doesn't have a winning record I imagine it happens all the time where teams will call up your team and find out if you're available for a trade. It's happened in the past with me in my career. But it's out of my control. I want to be here. I want to finish my career here. I want to be part of the turnaround here."

If Thomas is traded against his will to a Super Bowl contender, perhaps his tone will change. Nonetheless, it's an eminently positive sign for the Browns that the longtime franchise stalwart isn't going to be easily swayed by the allure of a contender.

poor joe, he will be all grey and withered and still won't see a turnaround...the only thing he will see is a merry go round of coach after coach...

for him you might. i think he's the Browns most marketable player. he seems like his value would be high regardless of deadline, but being late to the table is never optimal so in that respect i definitely agree.

this kinda stuff is the last thing we need rt now. cant win games, why not trade off our cornerstones on a short week?

wtf is going on in the world rt now? anyone else in bizarro land?

Agree, sisko... of all our pieces, Joe's the crown jewel.

Laughed when someone in another thread said we'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him.

Someone would have to offer two #1's for me to take their call... and then I'd ask "what else are you going to add."

I don't want to see him go but if he does for some reason I do hope he sees a winner. Not many guys like Joe in the league who deserve a chance at the title. For those of you saying we'd get a bunch of high picks for him, we just won't so get that out of your minds. He might be a top 3 LT still but trades in the NFL aren't like that. I'm not kidding when I say the Richardson trade might seriously have been the biggest steal of a 1st rounder of all time. Joe would likely be offered late 2nd from a contender or 3rd, no way in hell we would get a 1st round pick for him.

Even if they get a 1st rounder for him, does anybody here feel like the chances are good that the Front Office could do anything with the pick?

Even if they did, the chances of getting another Joe Thomas are slim. JT is a clear HOFer and still going strong.

Even if they get a 1st rounder for him, does anybody here feel like the chances are good that the Front Office could do anything with the pick?

I'd feel better about our chances if we got 5 4th round picks than a first...

lol. good point.

But in that Joe Thomas says that.... the Browns are closer to getting it right that

we thing they are, based on the games we watch.

If Pettine and Flip sucked, etc etc etc....

I can't imagine Joe not having a different opinion. I just hope Joe gets a
super bowl ring.

Just somebody find out what the (*%*&^% deal is with Dwayne Bowe. Somebody like him would

have made a huge difference to this offense.

Fire sale :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/01/browns-are-having-a-fire-sale-barkevious-mingo-also-on-the-block/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Browns are having a fire sale, Barkevious Mingo also on the block
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 1, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
1x02_top_banana_24.png?w=250

Oh, my God, the Browns are having a fire sale.

We already noted that the Browns’ two best offensive linemen, left tackle Joe Thomas and center Alex Mack, are both on the trade block, as is linebacker Paul Kruger. Now Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that Barkevious Mingo is on the block as well, and the Browns have told teams that Mingo is available.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Mingo is a talented pass rusher who hasn’t always looked like a great fit for what the Browns want to do on defense. Cleveland took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 draft, and he has just seven career sacks — none this year.

The Browns surely won’t be able to get anything close to the Top 10 pick they spent on Mingo, but if they could get anything of value in a trade, they’d probably be willing to let Mingo go. This is a team building for the future, not trying to win in 2015.

Don't think they can trade Mack as I recall there was a clause in his Contract about that.

I don't want to see him go but if he does for some reason I do hope he sees a winner. Not many guys like Joe in the league who deserve a chance at the title. For those of you saying we'd get a bunch of high picks for him, we just won't so get that out of your minds. He might be a top 3 LT still but trades in the NFL aren't like that. I'm not kidding when I say the Richardson trade might seriously have been the biggest steal of a 1st rounder of all time. Joe would likely be offered late 2nd from a contender or 3rd, no way in hell we would get a 1st round pick for him.

Not even one #1?

Here's the deal for a then 2-time, Pro Bowler. He's added five more since then, but has been 1st-team only twice... and he has missed games due to injury... including all of 2012.

I'm pretty sure an 8-timer with five 1st-team berths, who has never missed a game would command an even better deal.

Reviewing the Jason Peters trade

At the time, Philadelphia was in need of a Left tackle, as franchise cornerstone Tra Thomas had just left in free agency to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Armed with the 21st and 28th overall picks in the 2009 NFL draft, their options were slim in that regard, with the top offensive tackles projected to be on the board at the time the 21st overall pick came around were Baltimore Ravens disappointment Michael Oher and journeyman Eben Britton, while the top overall players projected to be available in that range were star wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and All-Pro center Alex Mack. With their options slim in that regard, Philadelphia turned toward the trade block, and came to find that 2-time Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters, who was in a contract stalemate with Buffalo, was available for the right price. After lengthy negotiations that included preliminary contract extension talks, Philadelphia sent Buffalo the 28th overall pick in 2009 it had received from Carolina, their 4th round pick in 2009, and a 2010 6th round pick.

In return, the Eagles received the man whom Andy Reid gushed over as “the best left tackle in football”, who quickly signed a 4-year, $53 million dollar extension with his new team.

http://www.footballsavages.com/reviewing-jason-peters-trade/

Archived