THE BROWNS BOARD

First 2015 Depth Chart - 54 man

Mudfly

Dude ... what did you do to Gary Barnrdge?

He is 29 and ready to have a breakout year. He blocks, He catches. He has the name of a friendly local State farm agent. He dates hot wrestling chicks.

C'mon, man!

Zombo

4 TEs plus a FB is a lot, but not impossible I suppose...

U sound so sure when Desir only played CB last year and the 2 rookies haven't even seen the practice field...

Campbell is def a SS...a box safety, as a matter of fact......he's basically a small linebacker with limited coverage skills, not a chance he'll play CB....perfect back up to Donte and a great power add for run protection in dime packages...

Desir only really played 2 games last year.....but he did play FS in game 15 and switched to CB in game16 when Haden got hurt.....

So, considering he's the perfect size and he's now played there and we just drafted 2 more CB's....Id say it's a very reasonable assumption to convert him to safety....but see no reason or indication of why they would convert Gaines to safety or Campbell to CB

Just for shiggles, I created a "WWTCPOD" team in Madden.

Drafted Bryce Petty instead of Xavier Cooper

Drafted Stefon Diggs instead of Ibraheim Campbell.

Signed La'el Collins - 3 yr UDFA contract + $300k signing bonus

Signed Jake Long - 3 yr/ $23 million + $4 million signing bonus

Signed Brandon Spikes - 4 yr/ $13 million + $2 million signing bonus

Re-signed Tashaun Gipson - 5 yr/ $34 mill

Went 7- 9 first year - Manziel struggled. Traded Manziel in 2016 for a second round pick and started Petty. Petty put together a 9 -7 year with a respectable rating, then won 11 in 2018.

That seals it then. We must trade out Manziel immediately if he screws up in Madden!! :P :P

(or fire the Madden HC) :lol:

Campbell is def a SS...a box safety, as a matter of fact......he's basically a small linebacker with limited coverage skills, not a chance he'll play CB....perfect back up to Donte and a great power add for run protection in dime packages...

Desir only really played 2 games last year.....but he did play FS in game 15 and switched to CB in game16 when Haden got hurt.....

So, considering he's the perfect size and he's now played there and we just drafted 2 more CB's....Id say it's a very reasonable assumption to convert him to safety....but see no reason or indication of why they would convert Gaines to safety or Campbell to CB

Yep, my fault, thought Campbell was a cb. I was wrong

Here is my post-draft, pre-UDFAs, pre-rookie camp, pre-90 man TC roster, pre-pre-season way too soon to be accurate 53-man roster...

Bold - denotes starter

Italics - denotes rookie

QB - McCown / Manziel / Shaw

RB - Crowell / West / D.Johnson

FB - M.Johnson

WR - Bowe / Hawkins / Hartline / Gabriel / Mayle

TE - Dray / Housler / Barnidge / Teifer

OT - Thomas / Schwartz / Bowie

OG - Bitonio / Greco / Erving

C - Mack / Seymour

DE - Hughes / D.Bryant / Starks / Winn / Cooper

DT - Taylor / Shelton

OLB - Kruger / Mingo / A.Bryant / Orchard / Solomon

ILB - Dansby / Robertson / Kirksey / Pullard

CB - Haden / T.Williams / K.Williams / Gilbert / Nelson / Gaines

S - Whitner / Gipson / Desir / Campbell

STs - Yount / Lanning / Hartley

IR - Ekpre-Olomu

Notice... I have 11 of 12 draft picks on this roster (and 1 going to IR for the year) as I gave them priority over other players, mostly b/c I have no idea if any of them will or will not be any good. Also, I gave starter priority to the veterans...

Based on feedback, made a couple simple changes. Added Barnidge and dropped Bademosi. Switched Campbell and Desir to S because I like those two in those spots. Moved Gaines to CB.

Could see one less o-lineman and maybe one less LB replaced by maybe one more RB and/or WR.

Also based on some of our vets that aren't on my list, I could see some of our drafted guys getting stashed on the PS, which is always a risk b/c any team could take them. That's why I didn't want us to dratt 10 players, let alone 12...

Hahaha(actually half of a year, cause he blew his knee out...remember?).....but, hey, these facts dont matter anyhow.....he's GREAT!!!

Though I do think people should differentiate between "kick" returner and punt returner...cause they are completely different animals and are getting rolled into one thing.....Travis has really only been our "punt" returner, and only this year got involved in any "kick" returns...though Marlon Moore is the primary.....and Travis was the lowest ranked on the team and ranked 84th in the league for kick return average(if that matters)...here's that extensive history he's put up....

2012...Cribbs was our punt returner

2013...Travis took over and was fairly average(ranked 20th) for the 8 games he played...then blew his knee out

2014...Travis completely tanked and was ranked 40th(way below average)

And as a receiver, he's brought very little.....in 3 years, he has 39 catches for just over 700 yds and 5 tds......GREG LITTLE did that in one season and we ran him out of town.....Last year, Josh Gordon played only 5 games and EVERYBODY slammed his effort and performance, yet he had the same # of catches and yards as Travis did in 16 games.....Taylor Gabriel did as much his first year as Benji has in 3.....

Just have to open your eyes to see he's painfully average 3 years in...(or slightly below that even)....nothing wrong with getting better at a position that EVERYBODY knows we have to get better at.....wasnt WR one of our primary needs???

Everyone says we need better receivers, yet theres a push to save the bottom rung one?......who's done nothing special in 3 years except return a couple punts?......this team is getting too good to hang our hats on average anymore....time to move on...

I only want to see better from that position....if Travis is the one to deliver it, thats fine.....but all Im saying is that he hasn't yet....

Not sure where you are coming up with those numbers. Here are his stats:

Games Punt Returns Kick Returns Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd

2012 23 CLE wr 80 14 3 3 149 1 93 49.7 3 76 0 29 25.3 589

2013 24 CLE wr 80 8 3 22 257 1 79 11.7 3 146 0 86 48.7 553

2014 25 CLE 11 16 0 15 127 0 37 8.5 12 246 0 28 20.5 698 Career 38 6 40 533 2 93 13.3 18 468 0 86 26.0 1840

Bold: Punt return TDs. Red: Punt return average.

Two TDs out of 25 Punt returns in his first two years. His 11.7 average in 2013 is about double what the Browns averaged last year.

Last year, yes, he fell back (but he was still better than anyone else we had doing the job). And no, he is not really a Kickoff return man. Sure, OK, he needs to regain his form from his first two years. But his track record is better than anyone else we have. Now, if a Duke Johnson can do better and win the job in training camp or Gilbert, so be it.

Based on feedback, made a couple simple changes. Added Barnidge and dropped Bademosi. Switched Campbell and Desir to S because I like those two in those spots. Moved Gaines to CB.

Could see one less o-lineman and maybe one less LB replaced by maybe one more RB and/or WR.

Also based on some of our vets that aren't on my list, I could see some of our drafted guys getting stashed on the PS, which is always a risk b/c any team could take them. That's why I didn't want us to dratt 10 players, let alone 12...

I like it....pretty much what I came up with too......based upon today....Agree that the bottom rung guys could come & go just based upon camp performance and who shines enough to create a spot for himself....

Prolly a few "convenient" injuries too....;)

That was his rookie 2nd year....and last year was his second third year. Sophomore 3rd year Slump hopefully. So I expect a bounce back year from him now in his 3rd 4th year.....assuming he is here.

Fixed

I like it....pretty much what I came up with too......based upon today....Agree that the bottom rung guys could come & go just based upon camp performance and who shines enough to create a spot for himself....

Prolly a few "convenient" injuries too.... ;)

Fixed

Right.....though he only actually returned 3 punts that first year.....so I guess I somewhat discounted it in my mind as being a full year. More like one game.

Am remembering a hit that Benji took last season and when he returned it was Josh Gribbs hearing footsteps all over again. This is why I don't risk Gilbert or Duke on returns Draughn or Moore less a Risk if ball Handling does not become a issue.. I also believe Cam should learn G position but the best to learn from would be JT to his left and C Mack to his right. Bitoino has passed Class on left..

Why do I think it's possible for Bitoni to move to starting RT and Erving to move to his spot at RG?

Just a thought but one that this staff is likely to explore when they have a history of competition to find their best starting players regardless of years in.

I agree. I see Erving at RT, Schwartz moving inside, and Grecco as the #1 reserve. I think Erving plays this year.

He may be the #1 back-up at center and may be the guy to take over for Mack if he leaves, but if he doesn't leave, Erving isn't destined as a back-up player. He plays, and moves around if guys get hurt.

He was the starting LT for FSU.. I might be a Gator, but FSU is a decent program and have been for 30 years. If the kid can play LT for them, he is a pretty darn good player, and that is the bottom line.

4 TEs plus a FB is a lot, but not impossible I suppose...

Barney Dray and the two guys we drafted. Tefler is a blocking TE other guy is a FB.

Z

I see Erving at RT, Schwartz moving inside, and Grecco as the #1 reserve.

Put down the mushrooms... you've had enough.

And well he might... but Schwartz to RG??? That's mushroom induced psychosis...

Yeah, I don't see that. I petitioned for his transition inside last year and he ended up surprising me with his play at RT...but I still don't like him. He's technically sound and that's it. He reminds me of the guy in the office who skates by on the bare minimum just so he can say he's not the worst one there.

Just shows how far technical soundness can take you...

He's obviously not Joe, but you see a lot of Joe's technique mirrored in Mitch. And Mitch has gotten better each year. In 2014 his kick drop got really good as did his knee bend. He's put in the work.

Match that against a still raw, but more athletic rookie... and it's going to be one of camp's more interesting competitions.

Cam's clear advantage is having the feet to better flow with the ZBS.

Just shows how far technical soundness can take you...

He's obviously not Joe, but you see a lot of Joe's technique mirrored in Mitch. And Mitch has gotten better each year. In 2014 his kick drop got really good as did his knee bend. He's put in the work.

Match that against a still raw, but more athletic rookie... and it's going to be one of camp's more interesting competitions.

Cam's clear advantage is having the feet to better flow with the ZBS.

Your post is the exact reason I think Erving gets the start over Schwartz. Schwartz is hindered, in my opinion, by a lack of athleticism - but he studied (and im sure worked with) Joe to refine his technique and that's gotten him where he's at now.

Erving isn't hampered by that athletic barrier - and he seems equally as eager to study under Joe.

Archived