THE BROWNS BOARD

Viking sign GIANT Polish OT...

Mudfly

Ok....just read an article that the Vikings have signed a guy from Poland who is 6'-9" ....350#'s.....

He's 27 and has never played high level ball....but, apparently, is very athletic......could be interesting....or maybe, just an offensive version of Dan Footman

Link here:... http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/polish-offensive-tackle-gives-vikings-a-big-presence/ar-AAb3Qdt

Says he's gonna put AJ Watt on his ass......hahaha, thats cute.....I kinda look forward to seeing that, cause I have a hunch it will be an eye opening experience for mr polish giant.....

Ok....just read an article that the Vikings have signed a guy from Poland who is 6'-9" ....350#'s.....

He's 27 and has never played....but, apparently, very athletic......could be interesting....or maybe, just an offensive version of Dan Footman

Link here:... http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/polish-offensive-tackle-gives-vikings-a-big-presence/ar-AAb3Qdt

Says he's gonna put AJ Watt on his ass......hahaha, thats cute.....I kinda look forward to seeing that, cause I have a hunch it will be an eye opening experience for mr polish giant.....

Is he related to Babatunde Owshinowo?

Steelers signed a guy similar but he's not from another country and had a stint with the eagles but on their defense.

http://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2014/09/former_army_ranger_makes_steel.html

It can't hurt to make signings like this, zero risk possible big reward.

Steelers signed a guy similar but he's not from another country and had a stint with the eagles but on their defense.

http://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2014/09/former_army_ranger_makes_steel.html

It can't hurt to make signings like this, zero risk possible big reward.

A "similar" guy? You mean a human being.....10 toes, 10 fingers. A guy from Poland? A big fat sort of guy?

A "similar" guy? You mean a human being.....10 toes, 10 fingers. A guy from Poland? A big fat sort of guy?

Did you click the link? No sense in trolling old man. He's a retired army ranger. 6'9 330 but he's on our practice squad.

Quit Tolling Gipper. Go do your research that you spend 10 hours a day on from your basement in east Cleveland for your next trivia flood. Thank You!

go Browns

Oh, I wasn't that interested really in whatever kind of "similar" off the street Gorilla you guys may have signed. I am just hammering the Vag.

(But...hey Vag....here is a compliment....your intellect is superior to this stooge)

And I am at my office desk.

Oh, I wasn't that interested really in whatever kind of "similar" off the street Gorilla you guys may have signed. I am just hammering the Vag.

(But...hey Vag....here is a compliment....your intellect is superior to this stooge)

And I am at my office desk.

He's a 6'9", white Army captain who served three tours in Afghanistan.

I wouldn't call him a "street Gorilla". He's exactly the player I would have signed, if only just to let him realize his dreams.

Arik Armstead, DL, this draft, is 6'7". The polish guy will need

a lot of coaching, but good luck to him. Arik is said to be "raw",

the Polish guy will be far, far "rawer". "rawer" ??? More raw. Whatever..

Didn't Andre' the Giant work out for WSH once upon a time?

I found a list this morning of many giants that have been tried out and on NFL rosters......seems they are more plentiful than I thought.....but, apparently, none have really turned out to be players.....

Most of the giants that have been drafted and played well, we're good players to begin with.....Jonathan Ogden was 6-9" 350 too(didnt know that)......Ed Too Tall was listed as 6-9"......Corey Stringer.....

Andre?.....I dont know if he ever played ball, but you'd think he'd be way too slow and clumsy......

Ok....so this year, there are 25 guys at 6'-7" or taller in the draft......wow.....

2 are projected for the 1st round....#1) A. Peat -OT, 6"-7"......#2) Armstead -DT, 6'-7".....

2 are middle rounders.....Jesse James -TE, 6'-7" .......Rob Haverstein -OT, 6'-7"

The rest are later or udfa type prospects....(IE....Huge, but not good).....

Who's the biggest player in this years draft?........Brian Mahalik, DE....Boston College......6' -9".... 302#;s....rated 7th rnd - fa

There's clearly a height limit when it comes to players... lack of agility and inability to leverage just creep in at some point.

Joe Theismann on Andre...

"I will say this though: one of the forerunners of football 12 months a year was George Allen, our old coach with the Redskins, Theismann said. George used to try and make some kind of a big deal, usually in the first two weeks of May. I remember one year he sent me to New York to Toots Shors, and I got a picture taken and you can look it up online, with Andre the Giant.

[Allen] had talked to Vince McMahon Sr., Theismann went on. This was the type of progressive mind that he had; he talked to Vince McMahon Sr. and said Look, Im thinking about maybe bringing Andre the Giant in, signing him, so that he can come in and block field goals and extra points for us. Now, I dont know whether it was true or not, but if you look up the picture, I look like an infant. Is that unbelievable or what?"

I'd say "unbelievable" is the word for it...

andre-the-giant-joe-theismann.jpg?w=481

There's clearly a height limit when it comes to players... lack of agility and inability to leverage just creep in at some point.

Great point! There seems to only be a few exceptions to the rule like Michael Roos at 6'7", Jon Ogden, Corey Stringer and most recently Nate Solder. Even a guy as athletic as Solder (previously recruited as a TE) had an extremely difficult matchup vrs an undersized edge rusher from Cal. Of course I forgot the guy's name. Some scouts mentioned concern about how a guy his size could consistently play with ideal leverage at the next level. My guess is many of them saw his game vrs Cal. Turned out to be a good pick; but it required a very good athlete to make it happen. Dan Fike at 6'7" was another exception to this rule especially as an OG inside going up against girthier DTs. Guards and Centers tend to be a little shorter and more compact than that. However, Fike moved extremely well and could consistently bend well enough to be more than adequate inside.

I got a kick out of the Giant's comment about JJ Watt even though the team that took him plays in the NFC. He just has to prove he can move like his cleats don't weigh 50 pounds apiece and he can consistently bend well enough to make it.

Steve Mariucci and a few pro players were coaching the DL's in this draft

on "Game changers". They were coaching Armstead to bend more, to not

stand tall, or he would be leverage blocked with his center of gravity so high.

They had him to the drill again, and he did fine. Interesting that he wasn't coached up?

in college...?

Jack Lambert was tall back in the day at Kent. He wasn't 6'7", but played with

terrific leverage.

I wonder what kind of player Shaq would've been if he had played.....me thinks he coulda been a dominant DT, DE or OT...

You thinks might = you corrects. On your OT tackle idea, I could see using him as a TE on an unbalanced line in a red zone in particular.

Ever wonder what kind of damage LeBron could have done in the NFL considering what Jimmy Graham has accomplished?

Steve Mariucci and a few pro players were coaching the DL's in this draft

on "Game changers". They were coaching Armstead to bend more, to not

stand tall, or he would be leverage blocked with his center of gravity so high.

They had him to the drill again, and he did fine. Interesting that he wasn't coached up?

in college...?

terrific leverage.

That's a very good point Cal; but his DTs made sure he was rarely ever blocked.

terrific leverage.

When I think tall+NFL the first two names in my head are "Too Tall" (6'9) and Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks (6'7). For their day they really stood out... (pun intended)...

I wonder what kind of player Shaq would've been if he had played.....me thinks he coulda been a dominant DT, DE or OT...

I'd have to take the other side of that bet. At 7'1 I just can't see it.

FUN FACT: Andre' was 3" taller and 200# heavier than Shaq.... lol

When I think tall+NFL the first two names in my head are "Too Tall" (6'9) and Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks (6'7). For their day they really stood out... (pun intended)...

If you know about Ted Hendricks then you have to know about his Raider teammate at 6'8 ...Big John Matuszak!

Archived