THE BROWNS BOARD

Injury update

Kvoethe

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns safety Tashaun Gipson, who's been playing at a Pro Bowl clip, has been diagnosed with a concussion and was not outside for Wednesday's practice.

Coach Mike Pettine said Gipson likely suffered the concussion in the second quarter in Cincinnati when he stripped rookie running back Jeremy Hill of the ball. He said Gipson got knee'd in the head.

He added that Gipson hasn't been ruled out yet for the Texans, and that it's a tight window to get him back on the field by Sunday. If Gipson can't play, it will be a huge blow for the Browns.

He leads the NFL with six interceptions and is a major reason the Browns are 6-3 and in first place this season. What's more, he has four in the last four games. In addition to his six picks, Gipson forced running back Jeremy Hill to fumble in Browns' territory in the second quarter of Thursday night's 24-3 rout of the Bengals.

Since 2013, his 11 interceptions are most in the league, while his two interception-returns for TDs are tied for first.

Other quick-hitters from Pettine's pre-practice press conference and Wednesday's practice:

* Tight end Jordan Cameron (concussion) was absent from the field for the second straight day. He's missed the past two games.

* Safety Johnson Bademosi (concussion) and defensive end Phil Taylor (knee) were also idle.

* Receiver Andrew Hawkins (thigh/knee) and center Nick McDonald (calf) were limited after both sat out on Tuesday.

* Pettine said that if McDonald can't play, either John Greco will move back to center or Ryan Seymour will step in. Originally a seventh-round pick of the Seahawks in 2013, Seymour was signed to the Browns active roster from their practice squad on Oct. 17th. He's been taking some snaps at center in practice.

* Pettine on running back Ben Tate not being satisfied with his role: "Ben's a competitor. And while I don't think it's good practice to kind of air how you feel publicly ... it's understandable. I think if you sat with every player and said, 'What's your agenda? What's your goal? How do you think your playing time should be handled? What do you see your role as?,' we're not going to bat 1.000.

"There are going to be times where we have to choose as a staff what we feel is best for the team over what the individual feels is best for him. I just think this is an example of that. Ben's a guy that wants the ball, wants to be out there, wants to be the guy. And so it's understandable when we started Terrance over him and had the results that we had."

* Pettine praised Texans' right end J.J. Watt, who's on his way to NFL Defensive MVP honors this season. Watt has three TDs, is tied for seventh with 8.5 sacksand leads the NFL with 29 quarterback hits. He also shares the league lead with four fumble recoveries.

* Pettine also praised Texans rookie quarterback Ryan Mallett for his big arm, but acknowledged he's an unknown. This is his first NFL start. He noted that Mallett, like Brian Hoyer, learned a lot from Tom Brady when he backed him up in New England.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/11/cleveland_browns_tashaun_gipso_5.html#incart_2box

Gipson being out doesn't bother me too much. I think our CB's match up very well and the combination of Leonard + Whitner should more than suffice. Mallet can be just as erratic as Fitz and Mallet has a terrible history of performing

in the face of the blitz. I highly suspect Pettine and O'Neil send a lot of 5 man pressures at him.

Gipson being out doesn't bother me too much. I think our CB's match up very well and the combination of Leonard + Whitner should more than suffice.

Except that Gipson + first NFL start QB = picks. I'm not overly concerned, it's just a nice opportunity for a player who has a nose for the football.

Except that Gipson + first NFL start QB = picks. I'm not overly concerned, it's just a nice opportunity for a player who has a nose for the football.

Especially against a guy who likes to overthrow across the middle. He's my X-factor for the browns D this week.

The xfactor will be clowney for them

Heard yesterday afternoon that Cushing will be back as well... there's your x-factor.

No slight to Watt, but Cushing is the heart of the Texans' D. Cushing made DeMeco Ryans expendable... but has been injured every year since Ryans left for Philly.

Gip back at practice today. Awesome news. Mallett's first career start and he likes to throw the deep ball, we needed for Gipson to play.

Confirmed :

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak · 13m 13 minutes ago Good news for #Browns. FS Tashaun Gipson (concussion) back practicing. The INT leader with 6

Still out :

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak · 13m 13 minutes ago #Browns not practicing: TE Jordan Cameron (concussion), S Johnson Bademosi (concussion), DL Phil Taylor (knee).

Archived