THE BROWNS BOARD

JF leapfrogs Hoyer (accord. to source)

Kvoethe

Excuses, if-if-if. he isn't, and he wasn't. Even if he was 6'3, I doubt he'd get ranked ahead of Elway or Luck as "can't miss". His off filed bullshit would have dragged him down- just like it did Marino.

Excuses? That is all you guys do for Hoyer!

Nobody has to make excuses for Johnny. Johnny was the first freshman in history to win the heisman. He owns the three highest yards per game in the history of the SEC. He was drafted in the first round of the draft. Now, let's hear your excuses for why Hoyer's resume doesn't stack up at all.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention running from "phantom pressure" a couple times...

I do not think folks appreciate the impact of missing reads and open progressions. Even a positive play will be downgraded. No better example I can think of than the 4th and 1 roll out. The play was designed to make the defender chose between defending the QB run and the pass to the FB. The defender chose to defend the run and yet the QB still ran. The yard was gained, but against the design of the play.

You mean the exact same play Hoyer ran and threw to the fb and the fb dropped?

Yeah, watch Johnny in context. On first and ten, he throws that ball. When it's third or fourth down and he knows he damn well better make sure he gets the first, he will keep it every time. Again, this is because Johnny understands the game better than any player I've ever seen at his age.

Hoyer was big10 honorable mention one year, and he backed up Brady so well, he got released, not traded, released.

I'm done with this debate, it's simply Retarded. One guy has to face pro-bowl standards while the other is defaulted into tom Brady 2.0; I have no

Doubt the hoyer cheerleading will be proven silly in just a few weeks.

Brian hoyer. Lol. You can't make this shit up. It's like if Houston fell in love with tj Yates.

Hoyer was big10 honorable mention one year, and he backed up Brady so well, he got released, not traded, released.

I'm done with this debate, it's simply Retarded. One guy has to face pro-bowl standards while the other is defaulted into tom Brady 2.0; I have no

Brian hoyer. Lol. You can't make this shit up. It's like if Houston fell in love with tj Yates.

Well, while Johnny was boozing it up in Vegas, and hanging out with Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche and Mayweather, Hoyer was busting his ass trying to improve his game. Get back to me Tuesday when Pettine names the starter. I got money saying it isn't Manziel.

The Browns don't need Manziel, they were just fine withou....wait.... nevermind

I really don't get the hate. I think it's more of a personal ego issue than anything. Nobody wants to be told that their team sucks, but when you have a once in a lifetime type player that could very quickly change all the agony of being a Browns fan, instead of embracing it, you want to puff out your chest and justify your manhood with the argument that "I am a true Browns fan! See? I liked the Browns BEFORE we got Manziel, so I am better than you, and you are GAY!"

Grow up, you need to work on your self-esteem there Mik. Manziel MAY be the best thing that has happened to this program in who knows when. As an Aggie fan and fan of Manziel, I had always said that he would be fine as long as he didn't get drafted by the Browns. If he can be successful in Cleveland, it just adds to the legend of JFF.

I can relate to Browns fans, I have been and Aggie fan my whole life, and had to endure the dark ages of mediocrity for well over a decade. I hope that you guys can experience the same success we had with JFF and I'm truly inspired to root for the Browns, I want JF to succeed at a place that NO other QB has been able to do in who knows how long... Once the prophecy of The Legend of Johnny Football has been realized, I will go quietly into the night, but not without a few smiles and a few "I told ya so's"

Yall are in for a real fun next few years, hope yall enjoy watching him play as much as the rest of the world, and really hoping the Browns have a lot of success with him. I will be rooting for the Browns for the foreseeable future. Maybe not for the same reasons as some of you, but what difference does that make? Doesn't make me gay and doesn't make you a better man, like it or not, Manziel just TRIPLED your fanbase overnight, y'all are probably outnumbered now. Enjoy it while yall can, I would bet the farm that he will not stick around in Cleveland any longer than he absolutely has to.

dude. you guys just don't get it.

no one here hates manziel. we 'hate' you fans that are shoving him in our face every 2 seconds. no one is proclaiming hoyer as an all star stud NFL QB. sure there have been comparisons made here ONLY in response to some stupid college stats that one of you JF fans put up meant to demean hoyer. but i've never claimed him to be that. and again hoyer and manziel are both browns, so we on this board tend to stick up for browns players. i'm sure if some troll came on here bashing manziel like you guys do hoyer there'd be plenty of us talking to them the same way we do you.

i'm sure manziel wants to win the starting job. i'm sure hoyer does too. why not let it play out on the field? you should have nothing to worry about, correct?

if it weren't for the JF fan base (Johnny Football.....you'll never hear me refer to him as that. johnny manziel? yes) life around here would be a lot more enjoyable. quite frankly i'm sure if he (manziel) were to read some of your posts i think me might be a little/lot embarrassed. and as far as him not sticking around in cleveland..........if you believe that then why don't you do a preemptive strike and pack YOUR bags and leave now?

What's really sad is that the lil guy looks lost compared to hoyer. Scrambles barely completed a pass with the 1s yesterday while hoyer lit up the D.

So what are you saying about the savior if he can't unseat a crappy backup QB? Oh yeah....rigged competition.

Got it.

I actually like Hoyer and from what I have seen, I think that if he were named the starter the Browns would be just fine, but I don't think they can be an elite team with Hoyer. I think Hoyer could pull out a winning season for sure, but if the Browns have the defense (which JF did not have that luxury at A&M), I think the Browns can be a good team with Hoyer and a GREAT team if JF progresses and learns the offense. Johnny WILL put up the numbers and will score lots of points. His passion and fire are what sets him apart more than anything, it's the refusal to lose and the burning desire to win. I've seen it time and again, not to gush or anything but it's the truth, he simply wills his team to victory. He gets his teammates fired up around him, not something I have seen from Hoyer. Not that Hoyer doesn't want to win or isn't a competitor, but I think he is missing that contagious fire that can infect the rest of the team (in a positive way). I have no doubt JF will be a good player, if he stays healthy, but I am not sitting here saying he should start game 1. The coaches are in the best position to make that call, and I defer to the coaches. I won't be on here bashing Hoyer for every little flaw, and know the JF's time will come. It's just hard to ignore the difference in upside with these two players. Hoyer may be more ready to start game 1 but it won't be long before JF gets a firm grasp on the offense and takes over before the end of the season (in my opinion). What I "hate" is the fact that everyone is so concerned about what he does in his free time, which is in no way any different than a lot of pro football players, you just don't hear about it. There is a media obsession with dragging this kid through the mud, and criticizing EVERY move he makes. Use some common sense, he isn't any different than the rest of them, he is just under the microscope. This happens every offseason, and then when fall camp starts you don't hear a peep out of them because he is all business when it comes to football. His teammates would tell you he is one of the hardest workers out there and motivates everyone around him.

I don't think it's a rigged competition, that's ridiculous, anyone with common sense will tell you that the QB who is most prepared and gives them the best chance to win will play. That doesn't always mean the best QB will win the job, it may come down to who gels better with the offense and who has a better understanding of the offense will play, regardless of athletic ability and talent. Looking forward to the soap opera they call the Browns 2014 season.

I actually like Hoyer and from what I have seen, I think that if he were named the starter the Browns would be just fine, but I don't think they can be an elite team with Hoyer. I think Hoyer could pull out a winning season for sure, but if the Browns have the defense (which JF did not have that luxury at A&M), I think the Browns can be a good team with Hoyer and a GREAT team if JF progresses and learns the offense. Johnny WILL put up the numbers and will score lots of points. His passion and fire are what sets him apart more than anything, it's the refusal to lose and the burning desire to win. I've seen it time and again, not to gush or anything but it's the truth, he simply wills his team to victory. He gets his teammates fired up around him, not something I have seen from Hoyer. Not that Hoyer doesn't want to win or isn't a competitor, but I think he is missing that contagious fire that can infect the rest of the team (in a positive way). I have no doubt JF will be a good player, if he stays healthy, but I am not sitting here saying he should start game 1. The coaches are in the best position to make that call, and I defer to the coaches. I won't be on here bashing Hoyer for every little flaw, and know the JF's time will come. It's just hard to ignore the difference in upside with these two players. Hoyer may be more ready to start game 1 but it won't be long before JF gets a firm grasp on the offense and takes over before the end of the season (in my opinion). What I "hate" is the fact that everyone is so concerned about what he does in his free time, which is in no way any different than a lot of pro football players, you just don't hear about it. There is a media obsession with dragging this kid through the mud, and criticizing EVERY move he makes. Use some common sense, he isn't any different than the rest of them, he is just under the microscope. This happens every offseason, and then when fall camp starts you don't hear a peep out of them because he is all business when it comes to football. His teammates would tell you he is one of the hardest workers out there and motivates everyone around him.

I don't think it's a rigged competition, that's ridiculous, anyone with common sense will tell you that the QB who is most prepared and gives them the best chance to win will play. That doesn't always mean the best QB will win the job, it may come down to who gels better with the offense and who has a better understanding of the offense will play, regardless of athletic ability and talent. Looking forward to the soap opera they call the Browns 2014 season.

then welcome to the browns board!! i think i can agree on every point in that post.

the only soap opera usually associated with a cleveland browns season (at least since the return in '99) is 'as my stomach turns' or the ones we have on this board. walter white has decided to divide this board into 2 factions. the old-timers vs. the yungins. so we have in one corner 'the young and the restless' and in the other 'general hospital'.

then welcome to the browns board!! i think i can agree on every point in that post.

the only soap opera usually associated with a cleveland browns season (at least since the return in '99) is 'as my stomach turns' or the ones we have on this board. walter white has decided to divide this board into 2 factions. the old-timers vs. the yungins. so we have in one corner 'the young and the restless' and in the other 'general hospital'.

I guess I am young and relentless, lol! Although I am an Aggie, born and raised, I actually moved to College Station from Dayton, OH, where I spent a lot of my young teenage years, so I have been a Browns fan before I moved to Texas (not a big fan, but to some degree), so now I have something in common with my old friends in Ohio. So I am somewhere in between Young and Relentless and General Hospital

Nothing about Johnny Goofball impressed me in his first outing. He took the snap, looked at the primary receiver,and if it wasn't open took off running. I will make a prediction. If Hoyer stays healthy he will be the starter the entire season. If not, Johnny will get his shot. If Hoyer (God forbid) gets hurt early in the season you may see Johnny Goofball for two or three weeks and then Rex Grossman will finish out the rest of yet another miserable season.

Nothing about Johnny Goofball impressed me in his first outing. He took the snap, looked at the primary receiver,and if it wasn't open took off running. I will make a prediction. If Hoyer stays healthy he will be the starter the entire season. If not, Johnny will get his shot. If Hoyer (God forbid) gets hurt early in the season you may see Johnny Goofball for two or three weeks and then Rex Grossman will finish out the rest of yet another miserable season.

nothing is set in stone. a lot rests on this monday night's game.

i wouldn't count anyone out right now. people are predicting this washington vs. cleveland preseason game to be the most watched preseason game EVER. if it weren't for manziel i'm sure that wouldn't be the case. is that a reason to love manziel? no. do you back him as a browns fan? hell yes. but as said before, i back everyone on this team from the ball scrubbers to the owner.

This conversation should be much more interesting in October.... Sigh

i wouldn't count anyone out right now. people are predicting this washington vs. cleveland preseason game to be the most watched preseason game EVER. if it weren't for manziel i'm sure that wouldn't be the case. is that a reason to love manziel? no. do you back him as a browns fan? hell yes. but as said before, i back everyone on this team from the ball scrubbers to the owner.

Milk, I've been a die hard Browns fan for over fifty years. I back the franchise 100% but not necessarily the individual. Manziel was handed millions of dollars to play for the team I've supported for decades. When I see him posting selfies in a bathroom with a $100 bill rolled up, I don't get the impression it's used for sipping a juice box or a frosty glass of Nestle's Quick. That's for one reason only and I don't think I have to tell what that is. That's a BIG red flag for me. My point is, he has done absolutely nothing for the franchise to promote himself as "Johnny Football" but has done plenty to be referred to in my mind as Johnny Goofball. You are correct that this Monday will be the most watched pre season game of all time! I just hope the kid can get his priorities together cause I want him to succeed also.

i hear you and i agree.

he's still young. i can't fault the kid for doing what he wants when football isn't in the picture, hell move to vegas in the off-season and get smashed up every night, just don't be an embarrassment to the browns org. BUT when the bell rings on the season you gotta be all about the game. not saying you can't go out once in a while but you can't be TMZ fodder every time you leave the facilities.

offseason hang with drake.

during the season hang with joe thomas.

that should do it.

Manziel MAY be the best thing that has happened to this program in who knows when. As an Aggie fan and fan of Manziel, I had always said that he would be fine as long as he didn't get drafted by the Browns. If he can be successful in Cleveland, it just adds to the legend of JFF.

I'll bite... why as long as he was not drafted by the Browns?

I can relate to Browns fans, I have been and Aggie fan my whole life, and had to endure the dark ages of mediocrity for well over a decade. I hope that you guys can experience the same success we had with JFF ...

I also follow the Ags since my daughter and my money once went there, yet the team success you refer to during the Manziel era eludes me. Are you referring to their 2nd place finish in the West Division in 2012?

I actually like Hoyer and from what I have seen, I think that if he were named the starter the Browns would be just fine, but I don't think they can be an elite team with Hoyer. I think Hoyer could pull out a winning season for sure, but if the Browns have the defense (which JF did not have that luxury at A&M), I think the Browns can be a good team with Hoyer and a GREAT team if JF progresses and learns the offense. Johnny WILL put up the numbers and will score lots of points.

First, regardless of the starter at QB we are not going to leap to "elite" status in 2014. What we can do is build to it

Put up numbers even if JM does not "progress"? Does not "learn the offense"? Why does a team with a great Defense need "a lot of points"?

Your arguments are inconsistent.

His passion and fire are what sets him apart more than anything, it's the refusal to lose and the burning desire to win. I've seen it time and again, not to gush or anything but it's the truth, he simply wills his team to victory. He gets his teammates fired up around him, not something I have seen from Hoyer. Not that Hoyer doesn't want to win or isn't a competitor, but I think he is missing that contagious fire that can infect the rest of the team (in a positive way).

I understand and have seen the excitement factor, but you are speaking of past behaviors in a situation where JM was the clear leader/ star of the team. Passion without NFL level accomplishment doesn't cut it at this level. It does not inspire.

I have no doubt JF will be a good player, if he stays healthy, but I am not sitting here saying he should start game 1. The coaches are in the best position to make that call, and I defer to the coaches. I won't be on here bashing Hoyer for every little flaw, and know the JF's time will come. It's just hard to ignore the difference in upside with these two players. Hoyer may be more ready to start game 1 but it won't be long before JF gets a firm grasp on the offense and takes over before the end of the season (in my opinion).

We all hope the grasp comes sometime during the season. As for "taking over" when that occurs... that will depend on the success of the team to that point.

What I "hate" is the fact that everyone is so concerned about what he does in his free time...

The concern has dropped since the free time has disappeared.

Very revealing sentence there, since the best QB is the one who best executes the offense.

See you around the soap box...

You mean the exact same play Hoyer ran and threw to the fb and the fb dropped?

Yeah, watch Johnny in context. On first and ten, he throws that ball. When it's third or fourth down and he knows he damn well better make sure he gets the first, he will keep it every time. Again, this is because Johnny understands the game better than any player I've ever seen at his age.

I'm sure compared to your understanding of the game JM's understanding must take on mythic proportions.

i hear you and i agree.

he's still young. i can't fault the kid for doing what he wants when football isn't in the picture, hell move to vegas in the off-season and get smashed up every night, just don't be an embarrassment to the browns org. BUT when the bell rings on the season you gotta be all about the game. not saying you can't go out once in a while but you can't be TMZ fodder every time you leave the facilities.

offseason hang with drake.

during the season hang with joe thomas.

that should do it.

Yup, the Nation will be tuning in to see Manziel play.

Excuses? That is all you guys do for Hoyer!

Nobody has to make excuses for Johnny. Johnny was the first freshman in history to win the heisman. He owns the three highest yards per game in the history of the SEC. He was drafted in the first round of the draft. Now, let's hear your excuses for why Hoyer's resume doesn't stack up at all.

Have to bring up how great Manziel was in COLLEGE again? Still haven't figured out we're not impressed? Archie Griffin- TWO Heismans, Hoyer's mentor, Tom Brady was a nobody in COLLEGE if you remember. It's like talking to a wall. Here's Hoyer's resume. Browns won all three games he started in, had nice 4th quarter drive to win on the road against the Vikings. Manziel's regular season resume? Well it doesn't exist.

However- the Manzealots already have him in the HOF, based on his college performance.

All the JF thumpers can say about Hoyer is- career backup. Well Bango, us oldsters saw something in that three game stretch that says "maybe not". We want to see more. If Brian comes out and stinks up the place now that teams have tape on him, you'll get your wish to see Manziel soon enough. Without any disagreement from us.

so we on this board tend to stick up for browns players. i'm sure if some troll came on here bashing manziel like you guys do hoyer there'd be plenty of us talking to them the same way we do you.

You are so full of shit. I've seen you call him a midget on another thread, and the post right under yours calls him "little guy" and that same poster usually calls him "mini-me." Then another poster on this thread calls him "Johnny Goofball." Why aren't you calling these guys out like you do anybody that says anything about Hoyer?

Yup, the Nation will be tuning in to see Manziel play.

All you can bring up is how great Manziel was in COLLEGE, still haven't figured out we're not impressed? Archie Griffin- TWO Heismans, It's like talking to a wall. Here's Hoyer's resume. Browns won all three games he started in, had nice 4th quarter drive to win on the road against the Vikings. Manziel's regular season resume? Well it doesn't exist.

However- the Manzealots already have him in the HOF, based on his college performance.

Yeah, and you can't name one time Hoyer was great, EVER. Not in college, not in pros, not EVER. Let Johnny start three games and he will pass anything Hoyer has ever accomplished in his six years in the NFL.

And it's funny that you are crediting Hoyer with a win when he blew out his ACL so early in that third game. That's how pathetic his resume is, you have to basically make crap up for him to make it sound better.

not sure if anyone mentioned this or not but JF in an interview today said he is not ready for the regular season yet but he will be by opening day. Probably a good reason as to why he did not get the start Monday night.

Yeah, and you can't name one time Hoyer was great, EVER. Not in college, not in pros, not EVER. Let Johnny start three games and he will pass anything Hoyer has ever accomplished in his six years in the NFL.

And it's funny that you are crediting Hoyer with a win when he blew out his ACL so early in that third game. That's how pathetic his resume is, you have to basically make crap up for him to make it sound better.

You're hopelessly blinded by Manziel mania. And You're bordering on being a troll.

You're hopelessly blinded by Manziel mania. And You're bordering on being a troll.

Because I think Johnny can win two regular season games?

That's all Hoyer has accomplished in his entire time in the NFL. That is what everyone keeps pointing to when I ask what Hoyer has done that Manziel has not. Is it not?

You are so full of shit. I've seen you call him a midget on another thread

yep, i'm guilty of that. i've called him midget. hell i called my grandmother an old witch, my current girl a c word, my best friend a flaming fuck face..................so?

who am i to tell other BROWNS fans what to think? there's a big difference between a long-time member of this board and someone who just joined 3 days ago just to instigate trouble (you). there's also a difference between a browns fan and a ___________(insert name) fan. do i agree with everything everybody says on here? no. do they agree with everything i say? hell no. but after being here awhile you gain respect. even some of the most hardcore JF fans have gained my respect and have stuck around.

stay on your current course and i give you about another 24 hours.

Because I think Johnny can win two regular season games?

That's all Hoyer has accomplished in his entire time in the NFL. That is what everyone keeps pointing to when I ask what Hoyer has done that Manziel has not. Is it not?

Dude, you're wasting your time and the argument has gone on and on and on. Nothing new is being said about either QB. Hoyer looked good for the short time he has started. Manziel was a beast in college and I think he will be very exciting to watch at the pro level. I also believe he is the future at QB, not Hoyer. With that being said, we can wait a little longer to see how it plays out, or we can continue to argue about it until we are blue in the face.

Archived