THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns claim OT Michael Bowie from waivers

Kvoethe

Browns claim injured Bowie off waivers from Seahawks

Aug 3 2014, 7:47 PMThe Associated Press

The Cleveland Browns have claimed injured offensive lineman Michael Bowie off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks.

Bowie was a seventh-round pick a year ago and made eight starts during his first NFL season. But he needs shoulder surgery that will sideline him for four to six months, and he was cut by the Seahawks on Saturday.

The 6-foot-5, 320-pound Bowie helped clear the way for Marshawn Lynch to run for 1,257 yards and 12 touchdowns last season. He also started a playoff game in Seattle's run to the Super Bowl title.

Cleveland general manager Ray Farmer announced the waiver claim on Sunday. It brings the Browns' roster to 90 players.

The Seahawks claimed tackle Cory Brandon off waivers from Arizona to fill Bowie's spot on their roster.

.. or the next Chris Faulk...

Just watched Seantrel Henderson, one of my 2014 sleeper picks, at LT for the Bills in the HOF game. Kid looked solid as hell against Jason Pierre-Paul. Bills nabbed him in the 7th round...

The guy started the second half of the season for them. Terrific size. If he gets back to 100% healthy, then it's a terrific pickup.

Z

Browns will stash him on IR for the year- near certainty.

Great pick up, just has to keep the weight down. I was reading this on profootballtalk.com and they were saying we did the Hawks dirty by doing this. Anyway, little moves like this for depth only make us better.

Farmer is on the ball. seems nothing gets past this guy.

It seems like it's such an obvious thing to have some kind of alert when a players gets waived, yet it wouldn't surprise me if Lombardi and Holmgren (to a lesser degree Heckert & Banner) 'didn't believe in' that newfangled technology.

Great pick up, just has to keep the weight down. I was reading this on profootballtalk.com and they were saying we did the Hawks dirty by doing this. Anyway, little moves like this for depth only make us better.

hey if you cut somebody, you think other teams won't take a look at signing them?

People are pissed because there is suposed to be an unspoken rule where you don't grab players being waived so they can go on IR. I think those people can go fuck themselves. This is in the rules for a reason. Seattle didn't actually want to waive him, they wanted him on the IR. They took the risk of letting him go just to bring in another camp body and they lost the gamble. I believe the Patriots did this 1 or 2 years ago with the NY Giants starting TE.

How could we be doing the Seahawks dirty? They released him. If they wanted to keep him then they could have stashed him on IR or PUP or some other list. But they realeased him. You know, released. Let go. Said sayonara to...you know?

People are pissed because there is suposed to be an unspoken rule where you don't grab players being waived so they can go on IR. I think those people can go fuck themselves. This is in the rules for a reason. Seattle didn't actually want to waive him, they wanted him on the IR. They took the risk of letting him go just to bring in another camp body and they lost the gamble. I believe the Patriots did this 1 or 2 years ago with the NY Giants starting TE.

They did it again the other day.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/07/patriots_claim_rb_tyler_gaffney_off_waivers_despit.html

How could we be doing the Seahawks dirty? They released him. If they wanted to keep him then they could have stashed him on IR or PUP or some other list. But they realeased him. You know, released. Let go. Said sayonara to...you know?

Exactly- if they wanted to protect him that badly, they just could flat out have put him on IR. Or PUP.

Exactly- if they wanted to protect him that badly, they just could flat out have put him on IR. Or PUP.

Cannot put a player who's been in the league less then 4 years on IR, apparently, before first roster cuts. Something like that, at least - he had to clear waivers before they could put him on IR. Same for us, he's taking up a roster spot while not playing. Not sure about PUP, but similar I guess.

hawks did not intend to part ways.

players must clear waivers (all 31 other teams must pass on him) in order to be "stashed" on IR...hence the "did em dirty" suggestion.

Jags sniped Don Carey from us in '09 in the same manner. We have enough camp bodies for now....but stashing high potential injured players every year can be a nice way to continually supplement talent. Nice add on strategy to go with the normal avenues.

Once IR is eligible, stash him and hit the waivers.

Archived