THE BROWNS BOARD

My Favorite Mock draft - and it isn't even my own ...

calfoxwc

where in the draft will we fill the hole left by DQ? where in the draft will we get our #2 WR? where in the draft will we get our #2 CB? OL? TE? FB? RB?

We replaced DQ with Dansby, but if you want a ILB2 - 3rd or 4th round (Borland, Bradford, Jones, Skov, Smallwood)

WR2 - #26 or 2nd round (Benjamin, Beckham, Cooks, Robinson, Matthews)

CB2 - #26 or 2nd round (Fuller, Roby, Roberson, McGill, Jean-Baptiste)

OL - 3rd or 4th round (Yankey, Thomas, Dozier, Mewhort)

TE - Do we really need another one?

FB - Are we really going to use one?

RB - 3rd or 4th round (Sims, Williams, Grice, Carey)

If I get Bortles/Bridgewater at #4, I still filled all your holes, and have 4 picks left in case you think we'll draft a TE or FB, or to use in trade ups...

Sure, let's get 11 Pro Bowl players on offense and 11 Pro Bowl players on defense.

Except for the fact that isn't possible.

Great players make those around them better. There's a reason the Patriots can keep shipping off their WR's to other teams but still manage to field one of the best offenses in the league no matter who's catching the ball.

That's what the "save a QB for last" camp doesn't get.

Sure, we can get two studly WR's like Atlanta. And we can also not make the Super Bowl like Atlanta.

And Mik, we had Bortles here yesterday.

Who's saying that TC? the Steelers certainly didn't have a complete pro bowl roster. They did have a good defense solid O-line and a couple really good receivers- sort of like what the Browns could have after this year.

I've said if you think you see a Brady or Rodgers this year- draft them. (I do think Bridgewater reminds me of Randall Cunningham) It's just a likely the real stud in this qb class could be Garrapolo, and not any of the top 4.

hell if i'm wrong at least it won't be an epic fail the likes of the TR pick. if you're wrong: EPIC FAIL.

And if we draft Clowney and he's the next Gerard Warren?

We draft Evans/Watkins and they're the next Braylon?

We draft Mack and he's the next Wimbley?

Those wouldn't be EPIC fails??

And if we draft Clowney and he's the next Gerard Warren?

We draft Evans/Watkins and they're the next Braylon?

We draft Mack and he's the next Wimbley?

Those wouldn't be EPIC fails??

of course they would. they just wouldn't be at one of the most important positions. hey, i'm not trying to bust your balls. i know we need a QB (eventually). i'm just trying to balance the fact that everyone is scrambling to get one of 3 guys who probably rate in the second round when it comes to player rating by all positions. there are a couple of players that IMO are can't miss. but i'm not the GM and of course i've thought that of other players who haven't lived up to their hype. i just think it's much SAFER picking a beast WR and CB than other positions, thus they would be my first 2 picks.

And Mik, we had Bortles here yesterday.

yeah i just saw that we're having all these guys come in this week and next (i guess).

well it won't be the last time i stick my foot in my mouth before this shit is all said and done (which it never seems to be).

of course they would. they just wouldn't be at one of the most important positions. hey, i'm not trying to bust your balls. i know we need a QB (eventually). i'm just trying to balance the fact that everyone is scrambling to get one of 3 guys who probably rate in the second round when it comes to player rating by all positions. there are a couple of players that IMO are can't miss. but i'm not the GM and of course i've thought that of other players who haven't lived up to their hype. i just think it's much SAFER picking a beast WR and CB than other positions, thus they would be my first 2 picks.

I was going to stay away from this board for the next month to prevent conversations like this... I can't help it I guess...

I think it's "safer" to pick a QB at #4. It's a win-win. If Hoyer succeeds, we get a year or so to groom the rookie (who will probably need it). If Hoyer fails, we get the rookie some PT half-way through the season. If everything goes to hell at that position...it's not like we can't take another QB next year. We still have 4 more picks in rounds 1-3, in a draft deep enough to provide "day one" NFL starters well into the third round... where's the risk?

Agree to disagree I guess...

Dream scenario:

#4- Blake Bortles-QB- UCF

Obviously.

#26- Kelvin Benjamin- WR- FSU

Huge. Red zone target. Wouldn't mind Allen Robinson instead. Could give us Marshall/Jeffery-esque tandem.

#35- Marcus Roberson- CB- UF

Physical. Able to play on island. Solid speed and hip fluidity as well.

#71-Christian Jones- ILB- FSU

Can play at any LB position. Solid talent.

#83-Antonio Richardson- T- UT

Gives us bookend tackle. Free to move Schwartz inside. Also good insurance in case of Thomas injury, knock on wood.

#106- Shayne Skov- ILB- Stanford

Potential to be poor man's Kuechly-esque ILB. Downhill tackler. Loud and physical.

#127- Tajh Boyd- QB- Clemson

Good project QB. Faced solid teams, put up solid numbers, decent measurables.

#145-Andre Williams-RB- Boston College

Could be a poor man's Marshawn Lynch. Physical, big, doesn't go down on first contact, sticks leg into ground and makes cuts. Good pile pusher at times.

Rounds 6-7: BPA by physicality/potential instead of by statistical performance.

Dream scenario:

#4- Blake Bortles-QB- UCF

Obviously.

#26- Kelvin Benjamin- WR- FSU

Huge. Red zone target. Wouldn't mind Allen Robinson instead. Could give us Marshall/Jeffery-esque tandem.

#35- Marcus Roberson- CB- UF

Physical. Able to play on island. Solid speed and hip fluidity as well.

#71-Christian Jones- ILB- FSU

Can play at any LB position. Solid talent.

#83-Antonio Richardson- T- UT

Gives us bookend tackle. Free to move Schwartz inside. Also good insurance in case of Thomas injury, knock on wood.

#106- Shayne Skov- ILB- Stanford

Potential to be poor man's Kuechly-esque ILB. Downhill tackler. Loud and physical.

#127- Tajh Boyd- QB- Clemson

Good project QB. Faced solid teams, put up solid numbers, decent measurables.

#145-Andre Williams-RB- Boston College

Could be a poor man's Marshawn Lynch. Physical, big, doesn't go down on first contact, sticks leg into ground and makes cuts. Good pile pusher at times.

Rounds 6-7: BPA by physicality/potential instead of by statistical performance.

Not bad at all. I think I like SJB for CB better though. I like picking two ILB, especially Jones. We are gonna need two as Dansby isn't exactly young. Benjamin just concerns me cause of his drops.

Not bad at all. I think I like SJB for CB better though. I like picking two ILB, especially Jones. We are gonna need two as Dansby isn't exactly young. Benjamin just concerns me cause of his drops.

The only two revisions I thought of and wouldn't mind would be Robinson instead of Benjamin and Jean Baptiste I would love to have as well, especially if we could get him in the third, which I doubt will happen.

Benjamin is a huge risk/reward receiver. His size is ridiculous as is his athletic talent, but he drops it too often (similar to Little, actually, just three inches taller). But he could turn out to be a very, very good receiver.

To me, it depends on what the offensive goals are. If there's going to be a reliance on short passing plays, getting Adams or Robinson would be the better pick.

I just personally have a thing for a tandem of big, physical receivers.

Roberson and SJB are big, physical, athletic CB's. Either would suffice, just Roberson is slotted higher and his PDP aligns with our pick, whereas SJB is slotted more often in between our picks.

The only two revisions I thought of and wouldn't mind would be Robinson instead of Benjamin and Jean Baptiste I would love to have as well, especially if we could get him in the third, which I doubt will happen.

Benjamin is a huge risk/reward receiver. His size is ridiculous as is his athletic talent, but he drops it too often (similar to Little, actually, just three inches taller). But he could turn out to be a very, very good receiver.

To me, it depends on what the offensive goals are. If there's going to be a reliance on short passing plays, getting Adams or Robinson would be the better pick.

Roberson and SJB are big, physical, athletic CB's. Either would suffice, just Roberson is slotted higher and his PDP aligns with our pick, whereas SJB is slotted more often in between our picks.

Can't argue with Benjamin's size, it will make him a great end zone target.

i like the revised list better. is the RB from BC the guy that couldn't catch a cold at the combine and who didn't catch one pass last year at BC?

Archived