THE BROWNS BOARD

Christians Need Not Apply: Michigan Teacher's Union Wants Non-Christians for Jobs

Christians Need Not Apply: Michigan Teacher’s Union Wants Non-Christians For Jobs

by Top Right News on March 26, 2014 in Education, Faith, Politics

no-cross.jpg

If you are a Christian teacher in Michigan, the state’s largest teacher’s union doesn’t want you to get a job.

The union contract in Ferndale Public Schools in Oakland County, Michigan, specifically stipulates that Christian candidates will be given less consideration than minorities and teachers of other religious convictions.

As Michigan’s Mackinac Center reports, the state’s Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination in employment and public services on the basis of religion but the teachers union is essentially breaking that law while pretending to follow it.

The Michigan Education Association is essentially breaking that law with its rules on which teachers will be given consideration for open jobs.

Here is how the MEA’s rule reads:

Should there be two (2) or more of these applicants with equal qualifications for the position and one (1) or more of these applicants with equal qualifications is a current employee, the current employee with the greatest seniority shall be assigned. Special consideration shall be given to women and/or minority defined as: Native American, Asian American, Latino, African American
and those of the non-Christian faith
. However, in all appointments to vacant positions, the Board’s decision shall be final.

Wow.

This codifies that Christians will be discriminated against.

“This just strikes me as so un-American that they can put in open language for people to see that they are going to be discriminating against Christians,” Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center in Ann Arbor told the Mackinac Center. “Why would they be discriminating against Christians? They are not supposed to be discriminating against people for their religious beliefs. It’s outrageous. And I believe it’s unconstitutional.”

Thompson also wondered why and/or how the MEA was determining the religious beliefs of teachers. Are they requiring teachers to declare their religion? IF so, isn’t this a violation of the law, too?

Once again we see that our teachers unions are essentially an un-American enterprise.

Read more from Walter Todd Huston

1. This doesn't seem right? Pretty sure that's positive discrimination, even if they're just trying to widen their own demographic.

2. It's not just christians! Other minority groups are mentioned, yet all the articles I googled on this came up with a title with a similar theme to the one above.

Because all that matters is Christians being discriminated against, clearly

I really don't think they should favor any one group over the other. I can see why they are doing it, to have more diverse backgrounds teaching, but I still think it is a bad idea. No one group should be given baseless preference over any other. Any gender, race, religious preference, sexual preference, etc, should not be weighed higher than another. It should go to the best candidate for the job. (The seniority thing makes sense though).

Also, they aren't saying Crhstians can't apply and won't get jobs...

but really the only story here is Christians being persecuted

The bigger story is "why?" ?

Out of control leftist bigotry? What next, ...gun owners?

People who go camping?

Education has taken a liberal turn for years now, even in the beginning stages,

back in 71-72, We had a few bits of it in college.

Now, it's openly groupthink for some teachers unions.

Pretty corrupt ... they want teachers who they have a better chance

of controlling/influencing how they vote.

So basically they don't want whites or Christians or especially white Christians. Regardless of how much better they might be. That's discrimination no matter how you try to spin it, but its not as bad because they're only discriminating against whites and Christians

It says if the two candidates are equal they would prefer the more "diverse" one. I don't agree with it but I understand where they're coming from.

I don't think this is some great injustice against Christians. But then again I don't think most of the Christian discrimination stories are really anything at all but a group not liking the fact they aren't as important as they used to be.

I also love how everything is coming back to "and then they'll take our guns!" I mean, being grounded in reality is overrated right? It is all about baseless ranting and playing on your fears...

The education system is tainted with liberal influence and brainwashing? OK... how would you like to see it changed? What area of school or the curriculum would you change to make it "more fair".

Whatever happened to people getting jobs based on their qualifications? I can see wanting to increase diversity, and their is a point to be made about minorities not having the same opportunity to attain those qualifications, but that issue should be addressed in the classrooms, not in the interview room.

Archived