3405661_G.jpg
START
1/5
  • 3405661_G.jpg
  • 3405663_G.jpg
  • 3405664_G.jpg
  • 3405665_G.jpg
  • 3405666_G.jpg
NJ teen sneaks up to top of 1 World Trade CenterPosted: Mar 20, 2014 7:27 AM EDTUpdated: Mar 20, 2014 8:06 AM EDT
By KATHY CARVAJAL, Web Producer -
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -A 16-year-old boy from New Jersey managed to make his way up to the spire of 1 World Trade Center, pass security and take pictures of his daring escapade.

The incident is raising serious questions about security at the building under construction in the area where the Twin Towers came crashing down during the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

Justin Casquejo of Weehawken faces several charges including criminal trespass in the third degree.

He was arrested on Sunday at 6 a.m., according to the Port Authority of NY and NJ which manages the site. His phone was seized and was being searched by police.

Casquejo crawled through a one square foot hole in the perimeter fence and entered the construction site. A union elevator operator did not question the teen as he was brought up to the 88th floor. Casquejo walked the remaining flights to the 104th floor. The guard assigned to protect the top of 1 WTC was asleep, said PANYNJ.

A construction worker spotted the boy on his way down and alerted police.

On Thursday, the NY Post, who spoke with the Casquejo, reported the boy was "inspired" by his law-breaking visit to the site.

"Ha ha, oh yeah, that. Right. I would really love to talk to you guys because I have a lot that I want to say about it," he said. "I was told that I just can't [talk] without permission," according to the NY Post.

The Port Authority responded on Thursday:

"We take security and these types of infractions very seriously and will prosecute violaters. We continue to reassess our security posture at the site and are constantly working to make the site as secure as possible," said Joseph Dunne, Chief of Security, PANYNJ.

The private contractor that hired the guard at the site was fired. The elevator operator was reassigned.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/25025573/nj-teen-sneaks-up-to-top-of-1-world-trade-center#ixzz2wVwHuzmB
Follow us: @myfoxny on Twitter | Fox5NY on Facebook

Stuff like this is going to happen unless you guard the place like fort Knox. Similar things have happened at the burj Dubai. Unless you want to live in the dreaded police state security is going to have lapses, which is why terrorism is so prevalent. It's really difficult to prevent.

Archived