THE BROWNS BOARD

Free agency! Now the draft?

Babernakle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly. So how does a #2 WR help?

The ability to assemble an offense that can score at will, not saying it's gets us a superbowl, but watching us score more than 13 points a game would be exciting or just the ability to score in the second half would be more exciting than what we have seen.

If they deem no QB worthy, which I doubt, its Clowney, Mack, or Robinson (Justin Gilbert and Calvin Pryor are my dark horses also).

I think Clowney and Mack are off the board before we pick. I do not want a QB at 4. Carr/McCarron/Garappolo are all going to be good QB's in the NFL and can be had in the 2nd to 3rd rounds.

The ability to assemble an offense that can score at will, not saying it's gets us a superbowl, but watching us score more than 13 points a game would be exciting or just the ability to score in the second half would be more exciting than what we have seen.

It doesnt matter whos at reciever with the QB play were accustomed to.

It doesnt matter whos at reciever with the QB play were accustomed to.

love that avitar by the way, Im' not really sold on any of the QB's at the top so I will let the people that get paid to evaluate them decide which one is best for us. I wonder which MAC school or obscure D2 school QB will be the next NFL star?

love that avitar by the way, Im' not really sold on any of the QB's at the top so I will let the people that get paid to evaluate them decide which one is best for us. I wonder which MAC school or obscure D2 school QB will be the next NFL star?

haha thanks man. I think at least one of the top 3 falls to us at 26, or within trade up range in the mid teens and thats the route we ultimately take. The top 3 are the top 3 for a reason, substantial drop off in talent after them. Not to say one of the others doesnt have a chance.

Almost two months until the Draft.

I'm seeing some hints at still more FA moves.

High probability :

LB - Moats

QB - Veteran backup/mentor

Some rumblings for :

DL - Carrington ?

CB - Cromartie or another

OL - few possibilities

LB - someone posted here Danny Batten is looking at places in town

FB - rumors floating

FYI, Emmanuel Sanders signed with Denver, so he's no longer on the Radar, plus a lot of Teams were having some concerns with his health.

Wow, just saw that the Bucs signed OL Cousins . . .

The only awful part of the receiving corp mentioned above is Little, but don't worry that will be addressed in the draft.

And in all honestly, if Little could up his consistency, he would be okay. He's a good blocker. He's physical and attacks the ball. He's made some great catches, but he just hits streaks where he drops a few. End of 2012, he was catching pretty well. Then last year, it was a rollercoaster. It makes me think two things : psychological or vision related. Or both. Lol

And in all honestly, if Little could up his consistency, he would be okay. He's a good blocker. He's physical and attacks the ball. He's made some great catches, but he just hits streaks where he drops a few. End of 2012, he was catching pretty well. Then last year, it was a rollercoaster. It makes me think two things : psychological or vision related. Or both. Lol

About time to give up on Little, or at least move him on down the depth chart. He'll never have the quickness to seperate, or the hands you want. He can make it in this league as a situational/backup guy.

or too much or not enough weed

Alright I've been waiting for the big splashes of Free Agency to actually take a look at Mock Drafts. Dansby, Whitner, Tate, Dray, Trufant and Hawkins (assuming he ours since they haven't matched yet and should not due to the front-loading) are good building blocks in all phases for this team.

When Hawkins' deal is official and an estimated $5.6 hold for rookies the Browns are down to roughly $27 Million in Cap Space

Free Agency:

Sign Shaun Hill, QB, Detroit Lions

NFL Draft 2014:

1A) Teddy Twatwater, QB, Louisville

- Browns take a chance on the guy who has played in a pro style offense. This cannot be overstated enough that Bridgewater has experience going through progressions and proven ability to handle the blitz. Bridgewater will compete with Hoyer to become the starter. I fully believe he will settle in as the starter after the preseason.

1B) Ryan Shazier, ILB, Ohio State

- Grab a guy who has fantastic range next to Dansby whose physical attributes will be declining. Have Danby play the Jack while freeing up Shazier to flow with his elite athleticism. Both additions are going to be tremendous upgrades in coverage.

2) Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

- I want to mention that I am not an Ohio State fan, I just think these last two picks will be great picks due to athleticism and upside. Roby will start opposite of Haden and slide Skrine inside (which he is better suited for due to his quickness and tenacity)

TRADE - 3A and 3B for Baltimore Raven's 2nd (Draft Value Chart: Bal 2 - 420; Cle 3A & 3B - 410). Baltimore is lacking draft picks, so I could see them trading either their 1st or 2nd rounder to gain an additional one or two picks. The reason I see the Browns making this trade is simply that they have the ammunition to make a move for a higher quality player. The team did not have to trade up to grab their potential franchise quarterback so they trade up to grab more talent.

2B) Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

- Matthews would step in opposite Gordon as a big and strong target with phenomenal hands. I was tempted to give them Moncrief however he reminds me way too much of Little. Matthews would step in and become a prototypical 2nd receiver.

4A) Brock Vereen, FS, Minnesota

- Vereen is an excellent athlete who is above average within coverage. He may not be a ball-hawk or a hard-hitter, but Vereen would be a solid addition to back-up and push Gipson.

4B) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT/OG, McGill

- Duvernay-Tardif is a prospect who will gain a lot of momentum heading into the draft. He has played all over the line and has prototypical size at 6-5, 320. Depending on how quick he transitions from the Canadian game, he could become the starting LG/RG.

5) Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern

- Could step in as the 3rd/4th back on the depth chart, as well as, kick coverage/returning. Elite measurables however a risky pick due to his position changes/scheme in college. Immediately I could see McKinnon, with his elite burst and strength, become the primary kick returner, as well as, a gunner.

6) Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State

- A strong player who has experience in a zone-blocking scheme. If he develops and learns from Mack, he may need to take over for him after this year's transition tag.

7) Devon Kennard, OLB, USC

- Kennard is a player who could become a solid backup as an ILB or OLB in the 3-4. He may never become a full-time starter but is a player who could provide insurance as an outside/inside pass rusher.

UDFA:

Dustin Vaughan, QB, West Texas A&M

Corey Brown, WR, Ohio State

Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Matt Patchan, OT, Boston College

- Probably all practice squad material with upside

Depth Chart:

QB - Bridgewater, Hoyer, Hill

RB - Tate, Lewis, Ogbonnaya, McKinnon

FB - Gray

WR1 - Gordon, Benjamin

WR2 - Matthews, Little

Slot - Hawkins, Cooper

TE - Cameron, Barnidge, Dray

LT - Thomas, Fragel

LG - Pinkston, Greco

C - Mack, Larsen

RG - Duvernay-Tardif, Gilkey

RT - Schwartz, Faulk

DE - Bryant, Bryant

NT - Taylor, Hughes

DE - Rubin, Winn

OLB - Mingo, Sheard

JILB - Dansby, Carder

MILB - Shazier, Robertson

OLB - Kruger, Groves

CB - Haden, Roby, Skrine, McFadden, Trufant

FS - Gipson, Vereen

SS - Whitner, Slaughter

KR - McKinnon, Hawkins

PR - Benjamin, Hawkins

K - Cundiff

P - Lanning

What would you guys think about a trade up with the 26th and possibly our 1st rounder next year if it came down to it? What would be the lowest acceptable pick in that scenario and how high do you think we can go with it? I think it'd be too costly to package multiple later round picks this year with the 26 and trading next years first rounder pretty much forfeits any chance of nabbing a QB in the 2015 draft. But if all goes well we won't need one and I feel like the time to strike is now.

I'd like to see us trade up with our 26 and get a cornerback, or possibly Watkins AND Evans. Imagine Evans and Gordo on the outside with Watkins in the slot and Cameron at TE.

What would you guys think about a trade up with the 26th and possibly our 1st rounder next year if it came down to it? What would be the lowest acceptable pick in that scenario and how high do you think we can go with it? I think it'd be too costly to package multiple later round picks this year with the 26 and trading next years first rounder pretty much forfeits any chance of nabbing a QB in the 2015 draft. But if all goes well we won't need one and I feel like the time to strike is now.

I'd like to see us trade up with our 26 and get a cornerback, or possibly Watkins AND Evans. Imagine Evans and Gordo on the outside with Watkins in the slot and Cameron at TE.

We definitely don't need to draft the top 2 receivers in the first round. I'm not so sure I'd be keen to trade our first next year either. I'd like to get one of Dennard or Gilbert though.

I think Clowney and Mack are off the board before we pick. I do not want a QB at 4. Carr/McCarron/Garappolo are all going to be good QB's in the NFL and can be had in the 2nd to 3rd rounds.

If Clowney and Mack are off the board before we pick, there is a high probability we select a QB at 4.

I've been an advocate for taking Watkins with the #4 pick. But, for a change of pace, how about this:

Trade down from #4 for a mid-round #1 and #2, allowing the Browns to do the following:

1a - CJ Mosely ILB - premier inside linebacker with sideline-to-sideline tackling ability and good coverage

1b - David Yankey OG - good lateral quicks play well in zone blocking scheme

2a - Jordan Mathews WR - big target, good routes, but most importantly: a football-catching machine

2b - Marcus Roberson CB - talented corner may eventually be able to play #2 opposite Haden

3a - Jeremy Hill RB - big, fast bruising runner with good hands. If he's gone, James Wilder Jr. fits the bill (and can probably be taken in the 4th)

3b - Will Clarke DE - long, talented player who can add to the rotation (Rubin may be gone after this season...)

4a - Aaron Murray QB - sits and learns

4b - Jerrick McKinnon RB - kickoff returner can work his way into the RB rotation

5 - JC Copeland / Jay Prosch / Trey Millard FB - a true fullback ends the Obi experiment

6 - trade for 2015 5th

7 - trade for 2015 6th

James Wilder Jr. fits the bill (and can probably be taken in the 4th)

No I think he screwed himself with ta poor ass combine. he looked really slow. Also, if you watched him play at FSU, he was not all that back there. He may drop till the 5th round this year.

I would love to wait and accumulate picks to grab Mariota or Winston, however, I believe the Browns need to try to get their signal caller this year at the top..... Personally I would love Greg Robinson, at 4, since I believe he has All-Pro potential at LT,LG, or RT. However the Browns need a quarterback and really the only one I want to take a chance on early is Bridgewater.

A betting man would suggest that we take a WR or LB with out 1st pick.

As is with WR this year, you can get a decent QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

1. Watkins or Mack "move to inside"

1b.. ILB or DB

2. A.J. McCarron

3. lineman

3b. DB or LB

4. FS

4b. RB

and then whatever.

I'd hate to be the one to bring back all the QB talk, but the only guy we have is Hoyer, and he's not even healthy yet...

My guess is we either get Grossman or Schaub in FA and I still think we're using that #4 pick on a QB... Bridgewater or Bortles.

I'd hate to be the one to bring back all the QB talk, but the only guy we have is Hoyer, and he's not even healthy yet...

My guess is we either get Grossman or Schaub in FA and I still think we're using that #4 pick on a QB... Bridgewater or Bortles.

I have a bad feeling we are moving up to 1 and it will cost 4,26 and next years 1.. I would rather trade back get extra 1 next year and give Hoyer a ton of weapons.. If he fails you trade up and get Winston, Perry, Hundley or Mariotta..I don't like any of the "top" Qbs this year

Agreed. We are addressing other needs with FA. We will go with QB with first pick. Who? We'll see.

Today from Ray Farmer on Free Agency :

The Browns have released the following statement from GM Ray Farmer:

"Free agency is well under way. We've added several players to the roster that will continue to push in the direction we want this team to go. A couple key things to keep in mind: What we're doing is finding talented players that can be good starters in this league, and guys that can compete to push those guys that end up being the starters.

"Since we last talked about the state of our roster, we've added Jim Dray, Ben Tate and now Andrew Hawkins – all offensive guys who we think can help advance our mission. These acquisitions are about steadying our ship and moving Cleveland closer to competing in our division and competing for championships.

"Like Coach Pett has articulated, we want guys that play like Browns, and we feel like every player we've added in free agency embodies the characteristics we want: Passion, toughness, relentlessness, competitiveness, accountability and productivity."

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-gm-ray-farmer-comments-on-team-s-haul-in-free-agency-1.474324

Plus another Article :

Dansby, Whitner, Tate, and fellow free-agent newcomers, cornerback Isaish Trufant and tight end Jim Dray show a high level of competitiveness, making it clear that they arrive in Cleveland with something to prove – that they have what it takes to bring an end to the Browns’ perpetual struggles.

When general manager Ray Farmer and coach Mike Pettine talk about what it means to “play like a Brown,” this is what they have in mind – players who are fully engaged with being a part of what the club’s new decision-makers are building rather than merely collecting a big paycheck.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Newcomers-genuinely-happy-to-join-Cleveland-Browns-/34bcf34a-a465-4964-ac23-4ac7cabed5fe

Hawkins now a Brown, another CB in town, DL Alex Carrington coming, and likely a few more FA pickups coming.

Archived