THE BROWNS BOARD

3 Black men break in home, attack husband and rape pregnant wife

Police: 3 who attacked couple went to wrong home

image001-png_162613.png

By TAYLOR W. ANDERSONMarch 12, 2014 5:43 PM

fc2770af03be430a4e0f6a706700e3c2.jpg

View gallery

This photo provided by the Dane County Sheriff’s Office shows Michon A. Thomas. Thomas, Eric D. Bass, …

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The men accused of severely beating a man and repeatedly sexually assaulting his pregnant wife may have meant to target a different home for a robbery, authorities in Wisconsin said.

Three men face sexual assault and armed robbery charges after police said they broke into a Madison home looking for money, found the couple lying in bed and assaulted the woman, who was six months pregnant, after beating her husband. But a criminal complaint shows a woman may have sought to send the men to rob the home of a man she was dating.

The complaint filed Tuesday details a botched robbery plan that may have been intended to target the victims' neighbor. Authorities said Efemia A. Neumaier told the assailants they'd find at least $1,500 in cash in the home of the man she was seeing, but that the men broke into the wrong home.

Michon A. Thomas, Eric D. Bass and Kristopher J. Hughes all face robbery and sexual assault charges in the in the Feb. 23 home invasion on Madison's east side.

Neumaier has been charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery after the man she was seeing discovered her Facebook messages to Thomas setting up the attack, the complaint says. Two others accused of helping plan and carry out the attack also have been charged.

The complaint says that while the couple struggled to sleep about 5 a.m. that Sunday morning, the male victim, who is legally blind without his glasses, noticed the bedroom door was open and shouldn't have been.

This photo provided by the Dane County Sheriff’s Office shows Kristopher J. Hughes. Hughes, Michon A …

"Is someone here?" the man called out from bed. A suspect then turned on the bedroom light and three men burst into the room, demanding money.

"Someone's gonna die tonight," one suspect said, according to the complaint. One suspect was allegedly wearing a mask from the movie "Scream."

The female victim told the three men repeatedly that she was pregnant, and that the men could take what they wanted from the house.

Reports say Hughes pulled the male victim from bed, laid him on his back and began hitting him in the face with a gun and punching and kicking his body.

Another suspect pulled the woman from bed and ordered her to lie on her stomach in the hallway, the report says. A suspect allegedly took a handgun and put it to the woman's stomach, saying, "You're going to die tonight."

This photo provided by the Dane County Sheriff’s Office shows Eric D. Bass. Bass, Michon A. Thomas, …

All three men are accused of sexually assaulting the woman, and one is accused of forcing her to perform oral sex.

After putting the couple in a darkened laundry room, the complaint says the men left with electronics and the couple's credit cards and wedding rings. The complaint says the men left in a rented Ford Fusion driven by DeAndrae L. Mayweathers Jr., who was charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery.

The victims ran to a neighbor's house for help, the man with what's described in the report as a baseball-sized contusion to his head and the woman bleeding from the assault.

Police said after interviewing neighbors that the alleged assailants planned a "lick" on a man believed to carry large sums of money, but struck the wrong house.

A fifth man, DeMarco D. Mallit, has been charged with theft and aiding a felon. Investigators said the robbery was planned at his apartment.

Bass, who pleaded no contest to three counts of sexual assault in 2011, was ordered held on a $75,000 cash bail. That was higher than Thomas and Hughes, who received $50,000 bail each. Mayweathers was held on $10,000 bail, and Neumaier and Mallit were each held on $5,000 bail.

Public defenders have not yet been assigned to the suspects. Court commissioner Todd E. Meurer advised Bass on Tuesday to hire a private attorney right away.

Police said Mayweathers' girlfriend told them he wanted to drive the car because it was rented in his name, but that "he did not want to be involved in (the robbery)."

She said when he told her the story he did not mention how the woman was assaulted or that she was six months pregnant.

___

Follow Taylor W. Anderson on Twitter at https://twitter.com/TaylorWAnderson.

I think the point is, this shouldn't be a "3 black men commit robbery and rape" article - which, to be fair, it isn't except for DieHard's title - it should be a "black men commit robbery and rape" article.

Maybe there's an argument for gun ownership in there, I could see that. But that's irrelevant of the race.

There's the on-going argument about how to reduce violent crime. That also shouldn't be related to race, though the demographics of the perpetrators in general seem to make it so. Sweeping generalisation moment - more crime of this nature is committed by poor uneducated people; more poor uneducated people tend to be black or other ethnic minorities. It's a question of how to stop anyone from committing these crimes, not just black people because this was black people.

Chris you're probably correct that race shouldn't be mentioned in this article. But of course that would be in a perfect world. Which this is not.

It is unfortunate that 13 percent of the population commits 55 percent of the violent crime and yet one of the most damaging things that can be done to a common citizen is to accuse him of racism. Now we only knew of the story because someone posted it. Had the races been reversed I would imagine it would be headline news across the nation.

And then it wouldn't be a joke to people like Woody.

WSS

Chris you're probably correct that race shouldn't be mentioned in this article. But of course that would be in a perfect world. Which this is not.

It is unfortunate that 13 percent of the population commits 55 percent of the violent crime and yet one of the most damaging things that can be done to a common citizen is to accuse him of racism. Now we only knew of the story because someone posted it. Had the races been reversed I would imagine it would be headline news across the nation.

WSS

Finally someone gets it.

All 3 of these men need to be tied to a steak and burnt to death. Then round up any family they may have, kids, brothers,sisters,parents, etc and kill them off to. Wipe out their entire blood line.

Right, let's avenge this horrible crime by killing off a bunch of people who had nothing to do with it.

I think Woody is reacting to the fact that DieHard is making a point to post a story about black men doing bad things. Yet he would be extremely unlikely to post something like, say, this story about a white man named Black who killed two innocent black men:

================================================================================

West Virginia man, 62, shoots dead his two new black neighbors as they were inspecting their shed and then claims he thought they were burglars
  • Rodney Bruce Black, 62, shot brothers Garrick and Carl Hopkins Jr, 60 and 61, on Saturday as they were inspecting a shed on their property
  • Black claimed the men were breaking into his shed so he shot them with a rifle from inside his own home and only called 911 afterward
  • While the Hopkins brothers are black and Black is white, authorities don't believe race was a factor in the attack
  • Black has been charged with two counts of first degree murder

By ASHLEY COLLMAN

PUBLISHED: 16:47 EST, 27 January 2014 | UPDATED: 18:32 EST, 27 January 2014

995 shares

View

comments

article-2547018-1B0346FC00000578-679_306
+6

Behind bars: Rodney Bruce Black, 62, of Barboursville, West Virginia was arrested after shooting two of his new neighbors Saturday

A 62-year-old West Virginia man shot dead two new neighbors without warning while they were surveying their property next door on Saturday.

Rodney Bruce Black, 62, is now being charged with two counts of first degree murder for killing brothers Garrick and Carl Hopkins Jr, 60 and 61, but he says he was just protecting his own property from burglars.

Black said the two men were trying to break into his tool shed around 2:30pm when he grabbed his rifle and shot them without warning from inside his house.

According to pictures of Black's house on Google maps, it seems there are two sheds near his back yard, about 70 - 80 feet away.

Police on the other hand, say the two men were firmly on their own property trying to get into their own tool shed, though the Black family had at one point owned that stretch of land.There was nothing belonging to Black inside the shed or worth value for that matter.

They say Black only called 911 after fatally injuring both men and he didn't attempt to perform first-aid.

Black was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time, leaving Cabell County Sheriff's struggling to find a motive in the attack.

'It's just a terrible, terrible tragedy,' Sheriff Tom McComas told the New York Daily News. 'We're still trying to figure all of this out. … Hopefully we'll find out his reasoning as the investigation continues.'

While Black is white and the Hopkins brothers are black, police don't believe the attack was racially-

article-2547018-1B03470100000578-963_306
+6
article-2547018-1B03470800000578-488_306
+6

Fatally shot: Garrick Hopkins (left) had recently purchased the plot of land adjacent to Black and had brought his brother Carl Hopkins Jr (right) to view the property on Saturday

article-2547018-1B0390DB00000578-250_634
+6

The weapon: Black shot the Hopkins brothers with a .243 rifle from within his home (stock image above). When he was arrested, police found even more weapons and ammunition at the house.

article-2547018-1B03A94B00000578-559_634
+6

Rodney Black, 62, was inside his home (top right) when she shot two men he believed were breaking into one of the two sheds on his property (bottom left). The sheds are 70-80 feet away from the house

Garrick Hopkins was from Milton, West Virginia and had recently bought the plot next to Black's home at 12 Lane Drive.

Hopkins had taken his brother there on Saturday to show him where he planned to build a new home for his family. Both men were married and had children.

When police arrived on the scene and arrested Black, they seized a large number of weapons and ammunition.

Black is being held without bond at Western Regional Jail. His first preliminary hearing is set for February 4.

Fact: Used to shoot with that guy pretty regularly. Family was supposed to be looking after him. He had onset dementia and I guess the extended family abandoned him. We used to call him "brass man" because he would reload any stray brass at the range. The guy had to have had hundreds of thousands of rounds at his place. Fucked situation that he was left by himself with tragic results.

Steve... jesus christ. I don't think the story in the article is a joke. It is horrible.

I laugh at DieHard and other's on here that think they are some making some grand race based point about how unfair it is being white.

I laugh at some stupid kid who doesn't understand the basic post. I guess it's because of your faggot professors who told you how bad the white man was. You stupid idiot. Grow up.

WSS

I agree Steve. It's time for people to pull their heads out of the sand and call a spade a spade.

A small barking dog and shotgun could have prevented this. The dog barks to wake you up, you hear a noise, the bedside shotgun is pumped, 7 shots behind it...plug removed of course, why limit the gun to 3 shells when you can stuff in 5 more?

You and wife get behind the bed....the bed should always be positioned in such a way so as to allow a defensive position between you and the door, then blast the first MF'er to come through the door. If they are hollering Police, fuck them, if you haven't done anthing wrong, they don't need to be in your house.....sort it out after you have killed them.

I laugh at some stupid kid who doesn't understand the basic post. I guess it's because of your faggot professors who told you how bad the white man was. You stupid idiot. Grow up.

I'm an engineering major you senile old man. Do you think every class in college is just professors telling kids how great liberals are?

You are just inexperienced. Maybe one day, when you're older, you'll understand

So, Woody, if you were in a situation like that someday, Wife and kids, and

some brutes bust your door in, and you run to the phone but they cut the line...

would you want a home personal gun to defend your family then? Forget about

race. There are plenty of violent home invasions that aren't involving different races.

Say the attackers were white. Also, the attack could also have been racially motivated..

Would you want to have a gun, with you and your family hiding in a closet, with you

just at the open area in front, behind your bed?

So, Woody, if you were in a situation like that someday, Wife and kids, and

some brutes bust your door in, and you run to the phone but they cut the line...

would you want a home personal gun to defend your family then? Forget about

race. There are plenty of violent home invasions that aren't involving different races.

Say the attackers were white. Also, the attack could also have been racially motivated..

Would you want to have a gun, with you and your family hiding in a closet, with you

just at the open area in front, behind your bed?

I never once in this thread said anything about gun ownership. I have also never been against owning a gun for protecting your home. Where the fuck have you been? It must feel really good typing that shit out, like you made a point, when you are responding to something I have never said...

You guys are clueless about the race thing. You think you are bringing to light some great injustice I am just to PC to understand. I am done with trying to point out how stupid that sounds.

I've been right here, watching you whine about gun ownership, then changing your tune

when a few other guys started trying to explain it to you.

And, I simply asked you a question. You don't have to get all tied up in liberal knots

to find a way to not answer it.

I've been right here, watching you whine about gun ownership, then changing your tune

And, I simply asked you a question. You don't have to get all tied up in liberal knots

It's a difficult situation to answer if you're anti-gun. But I'll have a go ;)

this kind of situation is why I put the brakes on my 'ban all guns tomorrow' stance from about a year ago. Because in this kind of situation, being able to defend yourself is obviously important. Though, in this case, the guy I believe was partially sighted - would that exclude him from gun ownership?

Anyway, the underlying theme is not guns/no-guns for me. In my opinion, it comes back to education again. When you get to the situation where these kinds of attacks are not happening, in general, you can start to look at reducing the amount of guns being owned. Even then, I'm sure with the tech we have now, you can make it so that the gun won't fire outside your home (but obviously 'the man' would collect all that information and use it against you...somehow).

Cal, I have literally never said we should ban all guns and try to take guns from people home that they use for protection. I clarified many statements when I said them to distinguish between want I would like to see happen with public carry and then guns in the home.

All you hear is someone saying something you don't like about guns and then your little paranoid brain goes straight to "They want to take all the guns away!"

To stay on topic, I don't think race should be brought up in stories unless the person is still on the loose and they need people to ID the person involved. The last thing on my mind should be the race when reading a story about three subhuman animals who raped and tortured people. I am sure it was the last thing on the mind of the victims.

Archived