THE BROWNS BOARD

Upward or merely lateral moves?

The Gipper

I like the guys we brought in. I also liked the guys that got their walking papers. Everyone is still gonna have jobs, except Weeden(maybe he could coach little league or something?) so all's well that ends well.

Dansby talks a BIG GAME. I like his style. We need that on the interior. Hope he backs it up and brings the pain.

Witner I've always liked, he's gonna be sweet back there. Just like TJ was. Maybe this will propel Joe Haden into the stratosphere?

Even Isaiah I really like. A guy a little younger than myself, working and striving to keep a foothold in the league, doing all the right things, saying the right things. Keeping his head down and working. Overshadowed by both his older and younger brother. I like his demeanor and his confidence. I think he may even have a shot at starting opposite Haden, though I would love one of the big name CBs coming out in the draft.

Joe Haden

Justin Gilbert/Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Buster Skrine

Isaiah Trufant

Leon McFadden

Would Stanley Jean-Baptiste at Free Safety and Witner at SS be nasty or what. Having Gilbert and Haden at 1-2 CBs, Skrine and Trufant covering the 3-4s... that's a D.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who is upset about Hitner and Dansby are out of their damn minds.

We let 2 good players leave who apparently wanted to leave. And we upgraded by most peoples standards.

Pettine preferred the safety who could cover apparently.

Ward got burnt in coverage. Jackson can't play ILB in a 3-4. Ward needs an EXCELLENT FS playing next to him, and the right system or he is practically useless. Jackson needs to be in a 4-3 scheme where he can be the solo MLB and have 4 DLinemen in front of him.

Our system doesn't fit either; HOWEVER, Dansby and Whitner both fit perfectly in our system. So, not only did we upgrade talent, but we significantly upgraded "fit" with our "D" scheme.

Ward got burnt in coverage. Jackson can't play ILB in a 3-4. Ward needs an EXCELLENT FS playing next to him, and the right system or he is practically useless. Jackson needs to be in a 4-3 scheme where he can be the solo MLB and have 4 DLinemen in front of him.

Our system doesn't fit either; HOWEVER, Dansby and Whitner both fit perfectly in our system. So, not only did we upgrade talent, but we significantly upgraded "fit" with our "D" scheme.

^This.

I guess it is easier to hate on the Browns ,,, but Farmer and Pettine are unlike anything we have seen, IMO.

I seriously think they fucking know what they are doing.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens on Sundays.

Zombo

And when he didn't get burnt in coverage, he would take bad angles and miss tackles. Or he wouldn't wrap up, go for the big shoulder hit and miss tackles. Ward is a good in the box, line of scrimmage run stuffing safety, nothing more.

Whitner is much, much better and coverage, and almost as good as a physical safety.

Arguably the most important thing not being mentioned : he comes from a culture of winning. Sure he was drafted in Buffalo, but he was with the Niners for a trip to the SB, and also last year for NFC title game. And being an Ohio guy, a Cleveland guy, a guy proud of his heritage, he wants to bring that here. I'm all the fuck for it, 100%. Dawgpound pride. Right the fuck on!

Dansby is an excellent "cover" LB & when was the last time we had that. Add to that Whitner & his skills (which I believe surpass Wards'), desire to be in Cleveland, PLUS a WINNING mentality. Haslam, Farmer, & Pettine are changing the entire culture of this Browns Franchise. They're bringing in players that endorse the NEW culture & that's a good thing.

Mike

I just hope they don't let Ben Tate leave without signing a contract sometime tonight... We need a guy like that...

I also want to see a Grossman/Schaub signing to be our vet backup

I like Hawkins, and hope our offer is good enough to steal him from Cincy, but I still need to see another WR - probably early in the draft

I'm curious what we're looking at for a CB2 - I'm not exactly impressed with the Trufant/Skrine/McFadden competition for that spot

I'd also like to see another ILB - what happened to talks with Moats? He at least knows the system

Not sold on Gipson at FS, maybe bringing in a former Farmer signing in K.Lewis from KC or just waiting to see what happens with Slaughter in camp

Even with all ^^^, they still will be looking to draft a QB - WR - RB - OG - LB - CB

I'm waiting to see a little more spending before I get excited about this roster. And, I need to see Mack coming back or else that just adds a huge hole to our somewhat questionable OL

Ya football, what you call soccer right?

Yes I do, And the stats back that opinion up. Hoping Dansby proves me wrong.

Are we still doing this? What stats back up Jackson being *better* than Dansby?

Your a funny one I'll give you that. Go be a jackass somewhere else. Little immature thirteen year old boys do not belong on the interwebs my friend. Now go back to spanking your pud in mamma's basement before grandpa gummers comes down and offers to suck you off and you begrudgingly accept.

sounds like its coming from someone wih experience. No shame, lots were abused as teens. Did mommy make you serve her "the gun", gunner?

Try saying grampie's gummie's with Mik's balls in your mouth..

Ya football, what you call soccer right?

Yes I do, And the stats back that opinion up. Hoping Dansby proves me wrong.

Dansby had 6.5 sacks and 4 ints

Jackson had 1.5 sacks and 1 int

What do you consider playmaking? Tackles seven yards downfield? Cause DQ was the master of that.

Zombo

What do you consider playmaking? Tackles seven yards downfield? Cause DQ was the master of that.

Zombo[/quote

Yep, and Dansby had 7 sacks and 2 Int's in the 4 years prior to last year. He didn't miss any time other than 2 games in those 4 years.

DQ was a good Brown. I'll be rooting for Karlos but I'm not seeing it ending as a good move, time will tell.

Done bitching back and forth with your fat ass, Ccunt..

I am still waiting for them to do something in Free agency that is a clear, positive upgrade. Yes, Dansby,Whitner and maybe Hawkins are incremental upgrades to DQ/TJ/Bess, positions from which we lost starting players. But Trufant and the TE are just roster depth. No real starter there. Even if we sign Grossman that is just replacing two below average backups QBs with one.

A real #2 WR would have been nice. Getting Edelman if they do would be....OK....maybe. (as noted elsewhere: just a beneficiary of Tom Terrific?). Would Santonio Holmes/MIles Austin/Emmanuel Sanders be worth a shot? (or is that a Draft designated position)

How about that #2 CB? One supposedly reliable source...ESPN...has Tarell Brown as the #1 best FA CB of all (including all those already signed elsewhere)

How about OG and RB?

Where is the influx of talent....not just the replacement of talent?

Zombo[/quote

Yep, and Dansby had 7 sacks and 2 Int's in the 4 years prior to last year. He didn't miss any time other than 2 games in those 4 years.

DQ was a good Brown. I'll be rooting for Karlos but I'm not seeing it ending as a good move, time will tell.

Done bitching back and forth with your fat ass, Ccunt..

If you're really done, than just quit typing and embarrassing yourself?

Zombo

--does this font make my ass look fat?

If nothing else, the players that they've been picking up all seem to have great attitudes and seem like they WANT to win in Cleveland. It may take some time to complete the overhaul of the losers for the winners, but if everyone is on the same page and the team's identity can be established, we're miles ahead of where we've seen this team for the last decade and a half.

I love the focus Farmer and his crew seem to have and as long as their talent evaluation can be strong enough, things will be turning around through the next few seasons.

I am still waiting for them to do something in Free agency that is a clear, positive upgrade. Yes, Dansby,Whitner and maybe Hawkins are incremental upgrades to DQ/TJ/Bess, positions from which we lost starting players. But Trufant and the TE are just roster depth. No real starter there. Even if we sign Grossman that is just replacing two below average backups QBs with one.

A real #2 WR would have been nice. Getting Edelman if they do would be....OK....maybe. (as noted elsewhere: just a beneficiary of Tom Terrific?). Would Santonio Holmes/MIles Austin/Emmanuel Sanders be worth a shot? (or is that a Draft designated position)

How about that #2 CB? One supposedly reliable source...ESPN...has Tarell Brown as the #1 best FA CB of all (including all those already signed elsewhere)

How about OG and RB?

Where is the influx of talent....not just the replacement of talent?

Look for us to draft Xavier su'a-filo (my favorite OG) and a RB ;-)

I would like to see us fill some positions in FA though too.

after a few days to let the FA digest a bit I would say we made we slightly upward moves. What makes me wonder is why the 9'ers didnt try to retain Dansby? Seems they didn't try very hard to keep him.

We dont know if they for sure didnt offer him any thing. he says he wanted to come here from the start.

Yes but do you just let a good player walk?

After a quick search it appears the 49'ers we not willing to pay him over 4 mill per year.

The Niners didnt want to pay to much for him yet they spent on another safety. Every team does it, lets guy walk and then spends what they wanted anyway. The Niners still have to pay Kap.

The Niners didnt want to pay to much for him yet they spent on another safety. Every team does it, lets guy walk and then spends what they wanted anyway. The Niners still have to pay Kap.

Yeah I know all that happened was 3 teams just swapped safety's. We'll see how this plays out.

Zombo

Finally someone else saw the same DQ I saw. Seemed more like 10 yards downfield not 7. I think we as fans get too caught up in the good browns players with longevity and overvalue them to the point of thinking it's treason when someone says something bad about them.

Anyone have some options at CB that could be realistic? Or is the draft a better place to fill this position?

Get one in the draft, probably get Roby in the 3rd any of the top 4 CB's are an upgrade for us

Archived