THE BROWNS BOARD

welcome to the new guys.

Westside Steve

So we were probably all a little bit worried when we saw two new posters coming online within hours of each other. I'm not the only guy, probably, at suspected a return of T and Bunker. Or Saint and white dawg or any other incarnations...

Anyway a warm welcome to Schopenhauer and Logic.

Like we all know there is likely to be an abundance of hyperbole and horse shit around this place but it's been fun and it's always good to have different opinions from well spoken members. Even if we occasionally tell each other to go fuck our collective selves.

Feel free to tell us a little bit about yourselves.

Cheers

WSS

p.s if it is Bunker & T you sound a lot smarter now... Welcome home ha ha ha

No arguments here. The new guys prob'ly ly like root beer, so they are fine by me.

We just don't need no more woodpeckers, and that's a fact, jack.

Although Bunker was smarter than woodpecker, he just posted bad crap. And T is a pretty intelligent guy.

Westside is all class...

Thanks to him and to everyone else.

I am a Sagittarius, I have a pet duck and a pet rock. I like to beat the shit out of the pet duck with the pet rock...

Seriously, great board. Happy to be here. Look forward to many spirited discussions and to the Browns turning this thing around in our lifetimes.

I suppose I am a progressive, not that that means much in a perpetual state of gridlock. Like Logic..I am also in WV, born and raised, so let's hear your best Deliverance-style put-downs. Also like Logic, I lived near Jersey and was glad to leave it behind.

Makes me think of a joke:

Dude and his girl were making out in the back seat of his car on the lower west side of Manhattan. Things were getting pretty hot and heavy, and she moaned in his ear, "Kiss me where it smells..."

So he drove her to Jersey.

I am pro-gun in gun season, and pro-bow in bow season, and pro-camera and pro-fishing pole in the off-season. I'm in favor of transparency and accountability in government, which ends up meaning that I am miserably disappointed every time I read any "press". Gotta jump on my soapbox for a sec...

Does anyone remember the Fairness Doctrine? Wikipedia does an OK job of describing it:

The Fairness Doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented.

To my understanding, what the Fairness Doctrine really accomplished was establishing a firewall between the news room and the investors. That is, the monied interests that held stock in a broadcasting company could not dictate what kinds of news stories were covered or not covered, that was left to the editors/journalists for the most part. Not anymore, the Fairness Doctrine mostly went the way of the dodo during the Reagan Era. Now we live in the age of the never-ending editorial that daily promotes the interests of investors, whether they be left or right. The little guys are hosed....it was not really about "fairness" as in left or right, it was "fairness" as in rich or poor.

Does anyone else now wonder about Fox's tagline "Fair and Balanced"? Kind of ironic it came out after most of the Fairness Doctrine had been abolished. MSNBC does the same shit too...of course.

Morale of the story? Don't be a little guy...and, if someone brings up reinstating the Fairness Doctrine, you might want to give it some consideration.

GO BROWNS!

I am 31, married, and currently living in WV (grew up in Jersey; yes it is awful enough that WV was a minor improvement). I work as a GIS analyst for the state and my wife is an RN. Working on my masters on the side. I am a libertarian. Very pro gun with tax stamp goodies and I am a CCW instructor.

Welcome... I went to college in NJ. Loved it until I got out of the RU campus bubble, lol. Then I got the heck out of there!

Archived