THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama's Illegal Alien Aunt: 'You have the Obligation to Make me a Citizen'

DieHardBrownsFan

We were on semesters.

First semester was this extensive poetry class.

Second was some weirdo prof who had us read 64 American classic novels, and we discussed them

in terms of the prof's even weirder and sicker determination that evil symbolism was in every paragraph

of every novel.

The third, woody, that's what III means, third.... was the monomyth class, third semester.

I got a B, a C-, and an A+.

You sure you ever went to college?

I'd never discourage anyone from writing, so good for you!. Trust me, though, you don't want me to read it. I read, write, and critique fiction professionally. Osiris

Seriously? Then I'd rather you read my adventure novel...it's a serious work. Even after 3-4 years, still not finished.

Yes, I'm a co-editor of a speculative fiction anthology, have some stories that are published in anthologies on Amazon and other magazines, and a guest blogger at Scientific American. I also run a writers workshop in my local area. I'm not where I want to be but getting published happens at a snail's pace. I've got editors at magazines who've been holding my stories for nearly half a year without deciding if they've accepted them for publication or not.

None of that pays the bills (only SOME novelists can afford to write for a living) so I have a day-job not very different from yours (bioinformatics analyst with some programming on the side).

It takes a long time and serious dedication to finish a novel, that's why I stick to the short form right now, so good for you for working on yours for so long. It is just a lot easier to improve your craft with short works than with novels. I'll take on the novel when I'm satisfied with the progress I've made in the short form. That'd be my advice to you if you really want to get published. Master the short story and you'll become a solid writer

And nope I haven't heard of The Monomyth.

Yes, I'm a co-editor of a speculative fiction anthology, have some stories that are published in anthologies on Amazon and other magazines, and a guest blogger at Scientific American. I also run a writers workshop in my local area. I'm not where I want to be but getting published happens at a snail's pace. I've got editors at magazines who've been holding my stories for nearly half a year without deciding if they've accepted them for publication or not.

None of that pays the bills (only SOME novelists can afford to write for a living) so I have a day-job not very different from yours (bioinformatics analyst with some programming on the side).

It takes a long time and serious dedication to finish a novel, that's why I stick to the short form right now, so good for you for working on yours for so long. It is just a lot easier to improve your craft with short works than with novels. I'll take on the novel when I'm satisfied with the progress I've made in the short form. That'd be my advice to you if you really want to get published. Master the short story and you'll become a solid writer

And nope I haven't heard of The Monomyth.

Want to plug your blog on SA?

Okay, os, how much do I have to pay you to read my whole Merlin story, and

tell if how many times you laughed? It's more Monty Python meets Tim Conway, I think.

Btw, Joseph Campbell wrote this brilliant work about his monomyth theory on literature.

Throughout history, fiction has taken on various common elements and patterns.

Some of the same elements can be followed from ancient Greek mythologies, to current day

novels. It's a fascinating work. My term paper was called "Parsifal's Quest for the Holy Grail

and How it Relates to Basic Monomythical Patterns in Literature."

I took the various versions of the story from different countries, and footnoted not only

the variations' origins, but also noted and footnoted relevant parts of the monomyth throughout.

I got an A++, the first time the prof ever gave an A+, and he asked permission to submit it

to a New England literary journal. When I went to pick it up...it was stolen along with a bunch of

other papers in a breakin at his office.

Yeah, no copy. Someday, I'll find out where went. But, I've always wanted to write

a serious adventure novel that I would love to read. So....

But it's a lot of serious work. I like to think I could come close to finishing it by spring.

Archived