THE BROWNS BOARD

the minimum wage

Westside Steve

So while I am convinced that the minimum wage issue is merely a cynical piece of pandering for the lower half of our population let's say this...

Why would it not be a better idea to set the minimum wage by zone? For instance 10 bucks an hour in New York City or San Francisco is nothing. 10 bucks an hour in Hicksville Kentucky is not a bad wage for the people doing the least challenging jobs.

WSS

Agreed that minimum wage is a joke. Even $10.00 an hour is a joke. How the hell are you going to pay rent, gas/electric, food, laundry, insurance, car, etc on that? I don't know what the correct amount should be, but figure around 12-15 an hour. Most fast food places are nothing but slave labor. They pay minimum wage, no benefits, no holiday pay or sick pay. No overtime. Work your ass off for what?

The idea of minimum wage is to ensure that people are earning enough to not be in poverty if they work 40 hours per week - basically, it should be a little bit more than unemployment benefits (or whatever you call it there). So then it makes perfect sense, especially in such an economically diverse country as America, to have a state- and even city-specific minimum wage.

"The main poverty line used in the OECD and the European Union is based on "economic distance", a level of income set at 60% of the median household income."

So set the minimum wage at or above that level for each governing body - if a city is large enough to warrant a separate governing body, it can set its own minimum wage. It's not tricky!

Incidentally, for over 21s in the UK it's currently a nice round figure of £6.31 - which is almost exactly $10 today, and you can bet it was $10 the day it was set.

As I see it the minimum wage isn't, or shouldn't, be meant to pay all your living expenses. And given the easy availability of food stamps and heating and energy expenses with the heap program etc that should be a bit easier.As with most young people working a minimum wage job they either live at home or an apartment with others to share expenses. If you aren't able to do anything beyond a minimum wage job then it's your responsibility to find roommates. I think the incentive should be to make yourself more valuable to employers that pay more money. I also think you should consider your ability to earn employment before you decide to have a family but...

WSS

Agreed that minimum wage is a joke. Even $10.00 an hour is a joke. How the hell are you going to pay rent, gas/electric, food, laundry, insurance, car, etc on that? I don't know what the correct amount should be, but figure around 12-15 an hour. Most fast food places are nothing but slave labor. They pay minimum wage, no benefits, no holiday pay or sick pay. No overtime. Work your ass off for what?

Fast food places should be a good spot for a high schooler to get a job, but beyond that they aren't meant for people to make a living with. Seriously, I could flip burgers at 12 and I started working in kitchens for $6.00/hour ($.75 over minimum wage at the time) and I loved it. The point is it is not a skilled position whatsoever and therefore we should NOT increase minimum wage. With it comes inflation and complacency in the lower wage areas, which leads to more people on welfare.

If the minimum wage gets bumped to fifteen dollars an hour. Those that currently make fifteen dollars an hour now have the right to demand $20 see how that does nothing but cause inflation?

and more job loss...

how do you like that $20.00 burger?

If the minimum wage gets bumped to fifteen dollars an hour. Those that currently make fifteen dollars an hour now have the right to demand $20 see how that does nothing but cause inflation?

Not really, but I see your point. Minimum wage should be increased in line with the RPI or whatever equivalent there is in the US. That way you just get natural inflation, which isn't a bad thing.

The minimum wage thing is a double-edged sword.

If you raise it too high, it puts people out of work - small companies will cut back on hiring,

and won't hire the handicapped, the spec ed students for some jobs. They will be able to

simply hire college students, other folks who have plenty of experience and ability.

Too low, and it doesn't help anyone be able to pay a few bills, or be worth their time.

The idea to set it variably by zones/states, is a very smart idea. As long as the federal gov isn't involved.

Archived