THE BROWNS BOARD

Jack the Plumbing Philosopher

gftChris

http://gselevator.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/meet-jack-the-plumber-philosopher/

Intro blurb:

Over the weekend, I came across an editorial by Jack Hope, a philosopher turned philosopher/plumber, that puts a name and face to a question that has garnered a reasonable amount of attention in recent months – Should a college degree still be hailed as a key barometer of achievement, and, with few exceptions, a prerequisite to, and trophy of, the American dream?

As Jack illustrates, forgoing college in lieu of learning a trade isn’t about embracing mediocrity; it’s just plain common economic sense, particularly in light of the current employment dynamic. Considering that 80% of Americans view themselves to be ‘above average’, this might be a tough pill for many to swallow. But, once we are able to overcome any social stigma, it will undoubtedly make all of us better off.

The guy talking (not the quote here, follow the link) is making a very good point, and it certainly applies to your stereotypical Generation Y kids.

Cost of tuition has gone from $3500 in 1980 to $22,000 in 2011, most jobs that are not tradeskill(even tradeskill are requiring more 2 year degrees) require a college degree, the economy since 2008 has not been ideal for new college grads. From my personal experience I know quite a few people who gave up on trying to get a job with their degrees and have either gone back to school or found work outside of their degree. But please tell me again how it is all generation y's fault.

Cost of tuition has gone from $3500 in 1980 to $22,000 in 2011, most jobs that are not tradeskill(even tradeskill are requiring more 2 year degrees) require a college degree, the economy since 2008 has not been ideal for new college grads. From my personal experience I know quite a few people who gave up on trying to get a job with their degrees and have either gone back to school or found work outside of their degree. But please tell me again how it is all generation y's fault.

I'm generation Y as well, I guess - born in 1986 probably puts me in there. I graduated in 2008 with a decent degree from a decent school, but couldn't find a job. So I got more experience via internships and got a masters in my field of interest. Now I have a job. Fun story.

But, there are a lot of people I went to school with who have been to university and done what we'd call 'basket weaving' courses and gone back home to work in a supermarket, bar, or whatever. I think there's a culture, certainly in England, and I assume it's similar in the USA, where kids graduating high school feel that they're 'entitled' to go to university, just because they can get in somewhere. There are so many universities now whose degrees are basically meaningless. And they do it anyway, just because they can, without much regard for how it's going to actually help them, so that they can basically party for three years.

Don't get me wrong, I'd always encourage someone to go to uni, it's a great system for people, and for a lot of people the biggest thing is personal development - living away from parents for the first time, doing your own laundry, groceries, cooking, bills etc. I just think that it should generally be for people who would actually benefit from it, and a lot of people aren't benefiting in a big way.

</unstructured ramble>

I think I am considered gen x(1980), I had the same experience as you(decent degree from a decent uni) but after not being able to find a job in my field or a decent paying internship(couldn't afford an unpaid one) took a few classes for a different field and have a good paying job in a decent field(IT). The thing most people don't understand when they are leaving HS and going to college is that most employers care more about experience than degrees, at least that is what I have found in IT. The people I know who are "under"employed didn't really take basking weaving or liberal arts type of degrees(most business related) and now they are working in fields that aren't related. I do agree with you that university degrees are becoming more meaningless, it seems in the US that its more important for a university to sell you the degree program than for them to help place you in a field that either suits your skills or help you get your proverbial foot in the door.

If you go to a real university and get a real degree, I think you should be ok. If you go to some tiny, no name D3 school and get a degree in Philosophy, or you're one of a million kids to get a BBA, I wouldn't expect much. There are probably a lot of kids in college that have no business being there. They'll add to those statistics you see about college debt and not finding a job. Them and Women's studies majors...

As far as work experience goes, that's the truth. It is all about having work experience. I made that a main point during my time here and it has helped me immensely in finding a job.

Or you could do what I did and let the military teach you a trade and put you through school. Minimal debt, and I found life in the Air Force easy, agreeable, and interesting. Had I not gone that route its quite likely I'd have chosen to join the electrical union after high school.

Or you could do what I did and let the military teach you a trade and put you through school. Minimal debt, and I found life in the Air Force easy, agreeable, and interesting. Had I not gone that route its quite likely I'd have chosen to join the electrical union after high school.

That's always an option, but I was never so keen on the whole 'being shot at' thing that goes with it.

If you go to a real university and get a real degree, I think you should be ok. If you go to some tiny, no name D3 school and get a degree in Philosophy, or you're one of a million kids to get a BBA, I wouldn't expect much. There are probably a lot of kids in college that have no business being there. They'll add to those statistics you see about college debt and not finding a job. Them and Women's studies majors...

As far as work experience goes, that's the truth. It is all about having work experience. I made that a main point during my time here and it has helped me immensely in finding a job.

I went to a top 10 university and got a degree in Maths & Computer Science. I wasn't ok. There are jobs out there, but they're massively oversubscribed. That being said, you do stand a much better chance with a vocational degree from a reputable institution, obviously. It just makes sense, you pick a guy with a Maths degree from MIT to work in your R&D team over the guy with a theology degree from Nobody-Cares U.

Archived