THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 2 Game Impressions: Browns @ Ravens

Tour2ma

Receivers can't get open. Running game is too predictable. Right side of the line is too porous. Only a Hall of Fame QB could succeed with this team. Maybe. Gordon returning should help, but we have to get the line patched up too.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's honestly like the team watches the same film on how to lose each Saturday night. Take a slim half time lead off 6-10 points? Check. Make zero adjustments on the offensive side of the ball? Check. Run less than 20 offensive plays and let the defense tire out? Check. Ultimately give up 10-17 points and lose. Done and done.

And we have a winner!!!! You sir hit the nail on the head; you could not be more correct

Not totally. Weeden is rapidly proving he isn't the answer. Greg Little is the reincarnation of Braylon Edwards. Trent Richardson is a wasted pick. Buster Skrine may have speed, but he has zero coverage skills. Incidentally, I saw Cousins get pancaked on a pass rush, and Schwartz stand like a statue and do his best matador move letteing the Rats OLB proceed unimpeeded to the qb.

OTOH, Cameron is OK, the defense is studly, and Mingo showed why he was a hig draft pick.

Based on your other commennts I don't see how you conclude Weeden isn't the answer.

The guy was under pressure all day and if receivers weren't dropping it, it was because the ball wasn't going their way because they weren't open.

What i don't get is why we never bring in any of the other receivers, like Cooper. He at least makes some moves to try to get open and seems to catch everything.

I don't think Weeden had anything to do with this loss....and yep, I saw cousins get shoved on his ass just as you did. Hell, I can do that. Cousins had grass stains on his ass.

Our problem seems to be that the game is too long.

For 30 minutes we play decent, but after that apparently it's nap time.

Hard to remember, but we have won two halves...

I never stated Weeden was great, just that he is better than Campbell.

Yup... I said Campbell is a shot QB, and saw nothing to change that opinion.

Well... Weeden was much improved, still made some bonehead mistakes w/ delay of game penalties, but he hit his throws and worked around the pocket much better. Playcalling was slightly better, but we should have ran TRich all 3 plays on that first drive inside the 10. Defense was awesome, but again were hurt by such an inept offense. Our WRs are useless. Cameron disappeared. We REALLY need Gordon back, and I really think he will make a huge difference in this offense.

Overall... we needed to adjust to their pressure, especially on 3rd down. Where were the short slants? Screen passes? Draw plays? Anything that counters such a stern pass-rush??

Again, I saw some improvement, and I think we will continue to improve each week, it just wasn't enough to win yet... we'll get there just not as fast as we'd all like...

Nice capsule assessment... O-line actually fared better than I was anticipating, but they could have stood some play-calling help.

And again, I think Gordon helps not only with his contibution, but also helps by motivating Little. We won't have to wait long to find out.

Based on your other commennts I don't see how you conclude Weeden isn't the answer.

Point is, any guy with an NFL arm can look good if he has all day to throw. Flacco was under equal pressure. Maybe not with Little dropping 4 passes that hit him in the hands- (my count).

On second thought- I can fault Horton on a couple third and long calls- they dropped the LBs 15 yards back and gave them the easy underneath stuff- you didn't see the Ravens doing that.

Actually, Weeden was doing pretty well today. He looked much different than last week, and by gosh, he even moved around a little. Why oh why though, did Little stay in the game? Honestly, why? He secured a spot at the top of the league in drops again, from this game alone. I love his effort, but what the shit, catch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point is, any guy with an NFL arm can look good if he has all day to throw. Flacco was under equal pressure. Maybe not with Little dropping 4 passes that hit him in the hands- (my count).

On second thought- I can fault Horton on a couple third and long calls- they dropped the LBs 15 yards back and gave them the easy underneath stuff- you didn't see the Ravens doing that.

Except ours....when he had time there wasn't anybody open to throw the ball. It was sickening. You saw 3-4 overall views with our receivers blanketed in single coverage. Those weren't the only three times.

I say put in Cooper and see if he can't get open. Why not?

It's honestly like the team watches the same film on how to lose each Saturday night. Take a slim half time lead off 6-10 points? Check. Make zero adjustments on the offensive side of the ball? Check. Run less than 20 offensive plays and let the defense tire out? Check. Ultimately give up 10-17 points and lose. Done and done.

I agree with everything but the defense being tired out. That's a very pisspoor excuse. The time of possession was nearly equal. Baltimore 30:35 Cleveland 29:25

So it's not like they're on the field that long. Baltiwhores defense was on the field just as long and yet they made stops when they needed to.

The defense is pretty good but we still need someone to take Skrines spot. Little needs to be left in Baltiwhore, I'd rather watch Cooper and Gurley play, at least they'll catch what is thrown to them. Shit..bring back Edwards, at least he'll catch some TD passes along with the drops.

Weeden played better today...not great but certainly better. Campbell looked bad. If Weeden is out for any length of time we are in huge trouble with him playing.

1)Delay of game penalties, not sure if its on the coaches or the qb.

My thoughts are its a relay of calls from turner down to Chad then to weeds.

2)pour route running.sick of seeing the Wr's running 2 yds on a 3rd and 6.

3)The Wr's on this team are terrible. Little has no chance on this team next year.

4) fuck me cousins sucks. Why is our RG shoved into our qb's face every play.

(Should have seen this coming though when Lombardi was making last minute moves that late in preseason.

5)weeds looked better but not good enough. But when he had time no one was open, when they were open cousins was laying at the feet of weeds while he had a mouth full of LB's coming through the A-b gap on a delayed blitz.

6) on the bright side our punting and kicking looked good...

If we clean all that up chance at a wildcard.

Josh Gordon, the savior? Wow we are in trouble

Josh is the cog that makes this tank move. Without Josh it's like the Lion without Megatron, just not that scary... at all.

Gordon will open up the run for Trent to gouge the other team. The other team will be forced to cover who, Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron or Trent Richardson?

One more week. I hope that is the recipe anyways.

Josh is the cog that makes this tank move. Without Josh it's like the Lion without Megatron, just not that scary... at all.

Gordon will open up the run for Trent to gouge the other team. The other team will be forced to cover who, Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron or Trent Richardson?

One more week. I hope that is the recipe anyways.

Pass Me the Doobage,dude...LOL...

Jim Brown was right,Richardson is ordinary and a wasted pick at 3rd overall, he has one gear and no acceleration.

Weeden hesitates to throw the ball unless a guy is wide open, I think the needle he threaded to Little which was dropped was actually an attempt to throw it out of bounds. Weeden will never be a QB who "throws receivers open" or anticipates the route and delivers the ball where the guy will be.

Our offensive lineman are pussies,they just can't run block at all. Their incompetence in pass blocking was masked last season behind 3 step drops,2 yard digs and 5 yard slants.

The defense looked good but still needs some help. Loved Taylor punching that little shit Rice. Mingo surprised me and made a couple of plays hope to see more. Ward fucking sucks, he misses every tackle and can't cover for shit. Can you believe that douchebag Peter King ranked him as all-pro last year? Add SS to another position of need.

Jim Brown was right,Richardson is ordinary and a wasted pick at 3rd overall, he has one gear and no acceleration.

Weeden hesitates to throw the ball unless a guy is wide open, I think the needle he threaded to Little which was dropped was actually an attempt to throw it out of bounds. Weeden will never be a QB who "throws receivers open" or anticipates the route and delivers the ball where the guy will be.

Our offensive lineman are pussies,they just can't run block at all. Their incompetence in pass blocking was masked last season behind 3 step drops,2 yard digs and 5 yard slants.

The defense looked good but still needs some help. Loved Taylor punching that little shit Rice. Mingo surprised me and made a couple of plays hope to see more. Ward fucking sucks, he misses every tackle and can't cover for shit. Can you believe that douchebag Peter King ranked him as all-pro last year? Add SS to another position of need.

I keep telling you all Trich is a 3rd down back...

Have to take issue with this generality even though I've not graded the line this week...

Thomas is an outstanding LT. How many times did you hear Suggs' name called today?

Mack is a staunch center... saw him handle Ngata a couple plays. Only question I have are his line calls... or lack of them.

Those are the highlights...

Schwartz has an issue with speed. We have to chip any speed rusher to the outside of him. Dumervil's sack today was a virtual replay of one of Wake's week 1 sacks, i.e., an extra wide angle ignored by the TE on that side.

Greco is average at best...

Which leaves us with Cousins... While my impression was he improved over last week (not as if he could get worse), he's a placeholder who somehow is keeping Gilkey out of the game.

Bottom line: They are an incomplete unit lacking in quality at two positions and depth.

1)Delay of game penalties, not sure if its on the coaches or the qb.

My thoughts are its a relay of calls from turner down to Chud then to weeds.

2)pour route running.sick of seeing the Wr's running 2 yds on a 3rd and 6.

3)The Wr's on this team are terrible. Little has no chance on this team next year.

4) fuck me cousins sucks. Why is our RG shoved into our qb's face every play.

(Should have seen this coming though when Lombardi was making last minute moves that late in preseason.

5)weeds looked better but not good enough. But when he had time no one was open, when they were open cousins was laying at the feet of weeds while he had a mouth full of LB's coming through the A-b gap on a delayed blitz.

6) on the bright side our punting and kicking looked good...

If we clean all that up chance at a wildcard.

Norv sends the plays to his son (Scott?) And then he sends it to BW.... idk if chud even hears what play is getting called.

i'll wait until next week until i assess the probs on this team and it's inability to score offensively. i'm hoping as some are too, that gordon WILL make a difference.

but for me (at this point) it's all starting to look like we picked up another couple of yokels to stand on the sideline and scratch their asses while on the other sideline they are continuously adjusting, especially at halftime. where we do nothing to counter.

I am not worried about the coaching all that much.

We are just outgunned at this point. I think Gordon will make a difference and replacing Cousins will make a difference.

Right now we have guys who can't get open because the guy covering them is a notch better.....#1 corner on #2 receiver and so on, and our QB is getting bumrushed up the middle on nearly every passing play. It's not a good mix when the QB is pressured and receivers aren't open.

Lauvao should probably be back this week, as he was questionable/doubtful for the Ravens game.

Pinkston is on IR so can't come back until around week 8.

Ok, thanks.

With Lauvao and Gordon back, they should be much more watchable. I think we can look foward to as much as 2 TDs next week. Basically, they are not a bottom 5 offense with Gordon and no Cousins. Jags, Jets, hmm... ok maybe they are still bottom 5 :(

Archived