Tim Couch Pulls Out

OK, Now I give up on Hardesty too ...

Browns RB Montario Hardesty dealt another blow: Now it's another knee surgery

Aug 14, 2013 -- 1:30pm

By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com-

Hardesty-white-jersey.jpg

Photo/Getty

Extra Points …

No luck at all: Another day, another body blow to Montario Hardesty.

Coach Rob Chudzinski announced after practice that the running back will have arthroscopic surgery on a knee on Thursday. The coach wouldn’t speculate on what this latest setback does for the roster status of the 2010 second-round draft pick. The likeliest option now is that Hardesty’s last season of his Browns’ contract will be spent on injured reserve.

Hardesty has had ACL surgeries on both knees – the right one at University of Tennessee in 2005 and the left as a rookie with the Browns in 2010. At UT, Hardesty also missed games with an ankle sprain and a stress fracture.

At this camp alone, which Hardesty entered as the No. 2 back, he missed time with a hamstring tendon and, just this week, a dislocated thumb.

“You just have to keep coming back, keep fighting. I think that theme applies everywhere in this game. He’ll make it back,” Chudzinski said.

Linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, who missed consecutive seasons with with torn pectoral muscles, said, “That injury bug is something you can’t control. You just have to stay positive, look at how you can make the situation better. It starts with attitude. Attitude is everything. It’s gonna help the healing process, it’s gonna help him mentally get through it. What I would tell him is keep good people around him to keep motivated and keep a positive outlook.”

Chudzinski said Hardesty’s roster status would be determined later. Hardesty’s injuries at this camp – along with the extra cautious treatment of Richardson – have enabled newcomer Dion Lewis to establish himself as the primary backup.

Why playing is important: Richardson is expected to play a couple series Thursday against Detroit. It will be Richardson’s first preseason appearance of his Browns career. He missed all four games last year after ‘scope knee surgery and the preseason opener against the Rams because of the Browns’ “plan” to preserve him for the regular season.

Don’t tell left tackle Joe Thomas it’s not important for Richardson to play some in the preseason.

“Yeah, I think (it is),” Thomas said. “Obviously, he’s tremendously gifted, but the plays that we run, we need to be in synch with what he’s doing behind us. You can’t plug somebody in there and just expect them to know where the reads are and the cuts and how we’re blocking every play. Having live reps with him back there is going to be tremendously helpful.

“We didn’t have him all last year, and sometimes that made it a little more difficult for both of us because we weren’t on the same page with every play exactly and it wasn’t fluid. No matter how gifted you are, you still need those reps in there with the guys you’re going to be playing with.”

Richardson’s rookie season was complicated by the knee ‘scope in August and then by broken ribs in October, which greatly curtailed his practice reps during the week thereafter. That’s partly why Richardson often bounced off his blockers or missed holes – the timing never was there.

Game stuff: Chudzinski said it’s doubtful that rookie cornerback Leon McFadden (groin) would play in the Detroit game. Also, safety T.J. Ward probably will be held out just to “be smart” in having him healthy for the season opener, the coach said … Offensive tackle Chris Faulk, whose signing as an undrafted rookie was much heralded, had ‘scope surgery two days ago on the knee on which he had ACL surgery last year at LSU. Faulk officially is a project for next year.

Unfortunate but it's time to pull the plug. I really like the combo of Lewis/Jackson/Obi won in the backfield. Honestly they all have good characteristics to get some touches when Trent isn't in there. I actually think the guy has some good ability but just can't see the field to prove it.

Personally, I never relied on Hardesty contributing to this team anyway. We had TR to start, and I believed Lewis would be the "3rd down back to spell him" and I believed the #3 job would have been a dance between Hardesty/Jackson/Ogbanaya. Ogby's move to FB put the race down to Hardesty and Jackson, though I thought that this Maysonet kid may have poked his nose in there.

Honestly...I am not sure that if Hardesty had no injury issues that he would have had a place on this team. I think that Lombardi may well have felt that getting Maysonet made Hardesty expendable.

So, now he is definitely expendable. I think the only thing the Browns are rueful of is the fact that now with the injury they are going to have to pay him, instead of cut him.

At least it resolves a roster spot issue.

arthroscopic surgery is an outpatient, put a bandage on it, sit out one game and see ya next week operation.

we'll see how much you haters want this guy in there when TR goes down with turf toe.

if he gets cut fine but he's a lot better than what you all are giving him credit for.

now maybe if we had alabama's offensive line we might be able to make a hole for TR and our other running backs to get through. our run blocking in the past 10 years has been god awful.

arthroscopic surgery is an outpatient, put a bandage on it, sit out one game and see ya next week operation.

we'll see how much you haters want this guy in there when TR goes down with turf toe.

if he gets cut fine but he's a lot better than what you all are giving him credit for.

now maybe if we had alabama's offensive line we might be able to make a hole for TR and our other running backs to get through. our run blocking in the past 10 years has been god awful.

Initially I was all for simply cutting him loose but you make some effective arguments. When Hardesty is on the field I think we can all agree that he can be very productive....but we just need to get him on the damn field. His injuries are simply maddening

That may be all well and good, but this regime has no emotional attachment to Hardesty....unlesss JH just wants his homeboy to be on the team. The BLC team (Banner/Lombardi/Chudzinski) may just give him up as a lost cause..particulary if they believe they have others that can show equal or greater productivity, without the worries of him breaking like glass. i.e. Jackson/Lewis/Maysonet. You can be as talented as Pavarotti....but if Pavarotti constantly has a frog in his froat and can't sing, what use is he?

i don't know a lot about the other guys you mentioned BUT if jackson only had 8 carries last year, then that's gotta tell you something.

let's just see if he makes it through training camp w/o an injury that will sideline for weeks and weeks, cuz if he goes down again, i agree with all of you, cut him.

BUT like i said in a previous post he was the second leading rusher on this team last year and his yards per carry avg. was better than TRs. i say ride them both until they can't be ridden any longer. fuck 'em. they are just running backs. the position whose lifespan is an average of 3 years.

BEREA, Ohio -- The good news for Montario Hardesty this week was that his injured right thumb wasn't broken, but dislocated. The bad news was that he'll undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Thursday, and a source told cleveland.com that he'll miss the first two to three regular-season games.

And, once again, you're wrong.

How does it feel to never be right about anything? I asked Ghoolie but he pussed out and is off fingering his accordion somewhere.

Well at least it's not "see ya next year."

Go in for a thumb exam and end up with knee surgery???

Did I miss something, or was there never any word on how the knee was hurt?

He may start the season on the PUP list, or something. Probably not the year long IR list. Why not? So that as soon as he is healthy and ready to be taken off the PUP list, he can be cut.

Does anyone else see that scenario as highly probable?

The Dr. probably did one of those reflex tests with the little rubber hammer and boinked his knee with it and Mr. Glass ended up needing surgery.

How does it feel to never be right about anything?

yeah it does suck knowing that the only thing i know for sure is is that you're a complete and utter douchebag.

go jump in front of a bus or something. guess those roids got you all knotted up. how's it feel to have woman tits and no scro sac and your dick inside your belly?

thanks for the update though. as someone asked where was this info 2 days ago scro?

yeah it does suck knowing that the only thing i know for sure is is that you're a complete and utter douchebag.

go jump in front of a bus or something. guess those roids got you all knotted up. how's it feel to have woman tits and no scro sac and your dick inside your belly?

thanks for the update though. as someone asked where was this info 2 days ago scro?

It's better than having someone else's dick in my asshole.

Archived