THE BROWNS BOARD

preseason game 1

The Cysko Kid

Cocaine??? Nah, Hopium...

Agree, cal, Robertson showed good technique covering Austin from underneath.

Spent the morning reviewing the win over the Rams... so after further review...

Staff: Really had the team ready to play. The cohesiveness of the 2nd and 3rd team units testified to this, as did the lack of penalties throughout.

Offense:

Screens - It was a joy to see a couple work well (after essentially going O-fer two seasons), especially the one-man variation with Greco leading the way.

Line - Nicely coordinated pass protection for the most part, but I did not see much firing out on run plays. Greco stood out on the plus side; on the downside Pinkston looked slowish and rusty to me. Butler looked good, like more than a journeyman at LT late in the game.

TE's - Piss poor blocking by the lot of them looks to be a team weakness; pass catching skills look adequate.

WR's - We look to be 6 or 7 deep here and our top 4 should stack up well against any corps in the league; my one concern (hopefully imagined) is the Gordon looked disgruntled... hopefully he just hates pre-season...

Benjamin is rounding into a nice WR and this staff has already figured out that for him to be the deep threat he can be, you have to throw to him short... something Shurmur snapped to around 10 games into last season.

RB's - Lewis led a surprisingly deep and talented (running and catching) group even without the name players, TR and Hardesty, on the field; I got a "RB by committee" feeling in place of the "we have no depth" pangs of 2011 and 2012.

QB's:

Wheezy - He did look calmer, but I'm concerned about his touch... The fade to Little was ridiculously bad; the flag to Little on the following play was better as was the square out to Lewis for the TD (which was a very good throw).

All his completion were to players either running horizontally or stopped. Not sure what to make of that, but if it persists I'm sure DC's will know.

Lastly... his looping path to a throwing position is still there; although it looks a tad shorter at times this year.

Campbell - but for bad coaching in WSH and OAK, I always thought Jason had star potential, but he looks a little "broken" now... at least between the ears; release is similar to Wheezy's, i.e. slow, but his feet are much quicker.

Hoyer - looked like a vet should against 3rd stringers.

DEFENSE:

Line: Generally developed good penetration and pressure vs the pass, but seemed content to string out the run rather than seeking to disrupt the blocking (which may be Horton's scheme, but fits neither the "aggressive" label being claimed or how I've seen 3-4's play in the past).

D. Bryant impressed me at DE against both the run and pass rushing. Hughes did not impress. Kitchen was a pleasant surprise at NT.

We played a lot more 2-man front than I was expecting.

LB's: Robertson looked good next to DQ in the middle. Nothing about Kruger or Sheard was noteworthy.

Here again our depth surprised me... especially the 40-somethings that played in the 2nd half (#44 Staples, #42 Smith, #41 Cole)... all of them looked worthy of making the team.

I can't wait for Mingo to add 20 - 30 lbs to that frame.

Only Fort disappointed.

DB's: Overall our least impressive group (no surprise there to most of you), and given the camera field coverage certainly this is certainly the hardest group to judge, but I liked a couple things...

- Bademosi looks ready to hit.

- Auguste tackled well and looks like he's man coverage capable.

Special Teams:

Lewis pulling KO duty and Benjamin returning punts are both great choices.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree that Robertson looked fantastic. I think he might be more than okay... he might be a star. What a burst... and everybody's talking about how a linebacker successfully covered Tavon Austin!! Keeper.

Again... Weeden's release is really nice. Disagree. He throws a football like he was doing it in the womb, the anti-Quinn. He's "The Natural," honestly. He just has to process faster and hit those deep balls or he's wasting that cannon.

He's also a better athlete than some think. He moves around pretty decently.

Great post Cal. I think these three quotes sum up this new administration best:

Wright said

that this Browns team was the most disciplined Browns team he'd seen since 99.

It's all about the coaching. We have been wandering through the desert for 14 years without true leadership and discipline. Chud was the hire .. they nailed it.

They've been set free to play freakin aggressive, smart football !

Great statement. And we haven't really "seen" the defense yet .. just wait, tannehill.

It was cool, them talking with Jim Brown. And, Jim Brown calling

Kosar "big guy"

Remember Mangini painting over the murals and Holmgren dissing Jim Brown? Jimmy Haslem is embracing the Cleveland Browns. It just hasn't felt right from slippery Carmen Policy to lazy Fat Mike ... THIS is feeling right.

Feeling like the Cleveland Browns

Not only that Z- they've finally put Bottlegate to rest. I was shocked they are actually letting fans take cans of Bud- or whatever out to the seats, instead of pouring them into plastic cubs. LOL, get ready for "CanGate". Save the Planet- less plastic waste. :)

Oh, I was at the game too- and here's my .impressions (I haven't reviewed the tape yet.) Weeden looks much improved, way more comfortable in his pocket presence. He still needs to go through his reads, and get rid of the ball a tad faster though.

Dion Lewis was a nice pickup, he may well challenge for the #2 RB spot if he continues to impress.

Travis Benjamin? Wow, letting Cribbs walk was no loss- the guy may well be one of the fastest guys in the NFL.

The Coaching staff is on another dimension compared to last year.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but the run defense isn't all that great, and after Haden and Skrine the DBs are a disaster area .It's obvious Jackson is way more suited to play MLB in a 4-3 scheme that an ILB in a 3-4.

The Coaching staff is on another dimension compared to last year.

No doubt about it.

Quantam leap.

Chiefs too.

Results will show in AFC Standings

Zombo

No doubt about it.

Quantam leap.

Chiefs too.

Results will show in AFC Standings

Zombo

For sure. Our coaching staff looked better in one preseason game then Shurmer did in 2 years

Archived