THE BROWNS BOARD

preseason game 1

The Cysko Kid

I know it was just a preseason game; and the first one at that but MAN that was fun to watch. It was actually FUN to watch a Browns game

I really liked the performance from the O-Line as well as the RBs. St Louis had some (in my opinion) dirty hits in the first half one of which was flagged for 15; will have to check out their press corps take on the game

Looking forward to more improvement for week two

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see the game--but hopefully the concern about the defense is misplaced.

Grossi said that Horton kept things pretty vanilla, which is what I would expect.

Tell guys to be aggressive, but don't show your hand in a meaningless "game".

Save the fun stuff for the regular season.

Weeden looked sharp! I think he will be just fine in the Turner offense. The guy has stated that since he was in the 8th grade he has taken 90% of snaps from the shotgun. He was never under center in college. So what last years coaches were thinking is beyond me!

pat-shurmur-meme-generator-duh-i-think-i

First half observations

* best hit of the night was B Winn tattooing DRich at the 13:49 mark of second. couldn't find vid. somebody post it if u find.

* Bradford was virtually untouched. Need to mount some pocket(pussy) pressure or it's going to be a long year for secondary. fixable

* zero turnovers! when was the last time you saw that in a Browns preseason game? Chud seems to have them

fundamentally dialed in. No wasted time outs for not getting the play in on time or having 12 men on the field. Only one penalty in the first

half. good sign

* Cameron dropped the first ball to him but redeemed himself with the big gainer in 2nd? quarter. was nicely surprised to see this kids speed!

* Little made an aggressive play catching the ricochet from Cams. good sign

* Bernie looked better and it sounded like he wasn't drunk/high. good sign

* almost forgot TBens punt return. Smooth as silk with speed to burn. best punt return I've seen in a long mfuckin time. good sign

I think concerns about the defense are misplaced. They were consistently disrupting Bradford, got a turnover, and gave up no points. In case you weren't watching, Bradford's deep ball and subsequent TD pass were against our second team defense, specifically Trevin Wade who will probably make the team but won't be active most Sundays. I would expect an NFL starting O to be able to go down and take advantage of a second team. Mingo looked good, man he has a nice spin move he pulled on the play he got the sack. They could be better against the run, but overall played well and got results. Jackson and Robertson in the middle looked awesome.

The offense was impressive, particularly the play-calling. They were out of the huddle with 12 to 16 seconds left on the play clock every play. Weeden hit 6 different receivers and played extremely efficient. Was not expecting that. Let's hope they can keep it up and build a nice rhythm and get a little momentum going...

Well, I was disappointed. They never showed Canton Mike and his Wife eating his deluxe nacho cheese chippies on TV. GGG

This game was "only" a preseason game. But what I saw, was a highly disciplined, freakin aggressive football team.

On TV, ole Felix Wright was stated to be the field inspector for both teams (proper uniform pads etc), and they said Wright said

that this Browns team was the most disciplined Browns team he'd seen since 99.

For the first time out, I was concerned they'd have trouble with mistakes. Not much. You bring in smart, talented players

who love the game, and legit coaches to teach them a legit aggressive system that suits their strengths... and everybody gets

to watch some very fine football the first game that doesn't even count.

The backup offensive line was impressive. My favorite backup oline guy, Gilkey, did pretty good. And he has a lot

to learn coming from a smaller school. I underestimated Hoyer from watching him that practice, bigtime. Now I

see that he has "it". But sure, he doesn't have the arm of Weeden. Weeden did a nice job of seeing things

far quicker. That seems to say "we used to play for coaches that didn't teach, and implemented a dumbass

"looks good on paper system". And Dion Lewis surprised in the practice, and in that first quarter.

And yes, Little showed that intensity again, fighting up in the air for that tipped pass by Cameron.

Everybody was having fun out there. They've been set free to play freakin aggressive, smart football !

Lb Craig Robertson being there with Austin was amazing. He shows serious speed, quickness, intincts and strength

even in practice. Lb Staples? He showed up hugely, I can't imagine he doesn't make the roster. Mingo is amazing.

His first short outing, and everybody heard his name, He's scary fast. Mingo "barked" in his first preseason game.

And, Bernie Kosar, my God I love listening to him comment these games. He instantly sees all sorts of stuff. He's

amazing. And last night, he was on top of his game. The foundation he has now, working with kids, is a classy move.

Seems he has gotten himself all straightened out. It was cool, them talking with Jim Brown. And, Jim Brown calling

Kosar "big guy"...that's just fun.

Real nice start. Detroit will also be tough business. We'll see.

Well, I was disappointed. They never showed Canton Mike and his Wife eating his deluxe nacho cheese chippies on TV. GGG

This game was "only" a preseason game. But what I saw, was a highly disciplined, freakin aggressive football team.

On TV, ole Felix Wright was stated to be the field inspector for both teams (proper uniform pads etc), and they said Wright said

For the first time out, I was concerned they'd have trouble with mistakes. Not much. You bring in smart, talented players

who love the game, and legit coaches to teach them a legit aggressive system that suits their strengths... and everybody gets

to watch some very fine football the first game that doesn't even count.

The backup offensive line was impressive. My favorite backup oline guy, Gilkey, did pretty good. And he has a lot

to learn coming from a smaller school. I underestimated Hoyer from watching him that practice, bigtime. Now I

see that he has "it". But sure, he doesn't have the arm of Weeden. Weeden did a nice job of seeing things

far quicker. That seems to say "we used to play for coaches that didn't teach, and implemented a dumbass

"looks good on paper system". And Dion Lewis surprised in the practice, and in that first quarter.

And yes, Little showed that intensity again, fighting up in the air for that tipped pass by Cameron.

Everybody was having fun out there. They've been set free to play freakin aggressive, smart football !

Lb Craig Robertson being there with Austin was amazing. He shows serious speed, quickness, intincts and strength

even in practice. Lb Staples? He showed up hugely, I can't imagine he doesn't make the roster. Mingo is amazing.

His first short outing, and everybody heard his name, He's scary fast. Mingo "barked" in his first preseason game.

And, Bernie Kosar, my God I love listening to him comment these games. He instantly sees all sorts of stuff. He's

amazing. And last night, he was on top of his game. The foundation he has now, working with kids, is a classy move.

Seems he has gotten himself all straightened out. It was cool, them talking with Jim Brown. And, Jim Brown calling

Kosar "big guy"...that's just fun.

Real nice start. Detroit will also be tough business. We'll see.

Great post Cal. I think these three quotes sum up this new administration best:

Wright said

It's all about the coaching. We have been wandering through the desert for 14 years without true leadership and discipline. Chud was the hire .. they nailed it.

They've been set free to play freakin aggressive, smart football !

Great statement. And we haven't really "seen" the defense yet .. just wait, tannehill.

It was cool, them talking with Jim Brown. And, Jim Brown calling

Kosar "big guy"

Remember Mangini painting over the murals and Holmgren dissing Jim Brown? Jimmy Haslem is embracing the Cleveland Browns. It just hasn't felt right from slippery Carmen Policy to lazy Fat Mike ... THIS is feeling right.

Feeling like the Cleveland Browns

Great post Cal. I think these three quotes sum up this new administration best:

Wright said

It's all about the coaching. We have been wandering through the desert for 14 years without true leadership and discipline. Chud was the hire .. they nailed it.

They've been set free to play freakin aggressive, smart football !

Great statement. And we haven't really "seen" the defense yet .. just wait, tannehill.

It was cool, them talking with Jim Brown. And, Jim Brown calling

Kosar "big guy"

Remember Mangini painting over the murals and Holmgren dissing Jim Brown? Jimmy Haslem is embracing the Cleveland Browns. It just hasn't felt right from slippery Carmen Policy to lazy Fat Mike ... THIS is feeling right.

Feeling like the Cleveland Browns

Win and it will feel right...

First half observations

* Bradford was virtually untouched. Need to mount some pocket(pussy) pressure or it's going to be a long year for secondary. fixable

Gotta disagree with you slightly there. Although he wasn't officially sacked, he was heavy pressured three times to my count that caused errant throws. People sometimes tend to not realize the impact of a collapsing pocket even if the QB stays upright.

The only guy that really hurt himself last night was Trevon Wade. Granted it was with the 2nd team, but he looked AWFUL.

Actually, no, apparently that is not true. He was pretty much berating Kellen Clemens, saying he cannot play NFL QB.

True that, it was honestly really unprofessional. I still love the guy but there's a way to say a guy isn't good without sounding like an ass. I don't mind him saying that in polite company but not when thousands of people are tuned in. The thing that's crazy is Clemens is an 8 year vet, I'm pretty sure you don't stick around that long by being God awful.

Edit: Here's a link to what we're talking about in case you didn't watch the game:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sports-minute/bernie-kosar-rips-kellen-clemens-073306587.html

True that, it was honestly really unprofessional. I still love the guy but there's a way to say a guy isn't good without sounding like an ass. I don't mind him saying that in polite company but not when thousands of people are tuned in. The thing that's crazy is Clemens is an 8 year vet, I'm pretty sure you don't stick around that long by being God awful.

Edit: Here's a link to what we're talking about in case you didn't watch the game:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sports-minute/bernie-kosar-rips-kellen-clemens-073306587.html

I know it wasn't nice but it's hysterical that as he's saying this Clemons throws a pick. Absolutely comical.

Only saw the NFL Network "Whip Around" coverage last night. Looking forward to recording the full game replay Saturday and wearing it out.

That said....

We were at the game & what we saw was very encouraging.....That is a different style of football than we have seen in Cleveland in many years. Aggressive, attacking football & yes, we'll make mistakes, but at least they will be mistakes of aggression.

Loved Mingo's post game when he said the staff was encouraging them to make mistakes fast, if they were going to make mistakes...

Weeden looked sharp! I think he will be just fine in the Turner offense. The guy has stated that since he was in the 8th grade he has taken 90% of snaps from the shotgun. He was never under center in college. So what last years coaches were thinking is beyond me!

I will reserve final judgement on Weezy until further review, but he did look "calmer". However, apparently I am the only one that thinks Cameron's "muffed catch" that Little "rebounded" for a first down was intended for Little. I will bet a considerable amount that the pass was intended for Little. And had Cameron not batted the ball, it very likely would have been interecepted as an inside DB was breaking in front of Little on the throw.

If it was intended Cameron, it was an awful pass... way too hard and too high for a receiver that close and that wide open. Both the height and the speed were appropriate for where Little was, and required to have any chance of fitting in a tight window. It was the only "tough pass attempt" I saw all night.

to watch some very fine football the first game that doesn't even count. And yes, Little showed that intensity again, fighting up in the air for that tipped pass by Cameron.

amazing. And last night, he was on top of his game.

Agree with Z... good post... gave me some things to watch for when I view the whole game.

Mingo's quicks on the negated sack were impressive. And he looked like he was having fun. The one exception to your "fun" hypothesis appeared to be Gordon. When he got up from the square in he caught, he did not look like a happy camper. May have been shot he took after the catch though... I hope that was the case; we really need his talent.

I'll only quibble with the Robertson exaggeration... I like Robertson and he's fast to be sure (for an LB), but no... he was not keeping pace with Austin. Austin was pulling away.

A good start to be sure... something to build upon... and no injuries...

Weeden had a good game and I hate to be the one to say it but did it seem to anyone else that most completions the guy was pretty much wide open and Weeden was staring down his receiver for a good 2-3 seconds before be threw it?

Lookin good so far but in fire gold is tested, not going to anoint him just yet.

I wish some reporter would ask Chud if he'd have gone for that 4th & 1 if it were a regular season game.

Weeden had a good game and I hate to be the one to say it but did it seem to anyone else that most completions the guy was pretty much wide open and Weeden was staring down his receiver for a good 2-3 seconds before be threw it?

Lookin good so far but in fire gold is tested, not going to anoint him just yet.

I wish some reporter would ask Chud if he'd have gone for that 4th & 1 if it were a regular season game.

I thought it was more a case of him being confined to lesser read options per Norv and letting the routes develope but yeah...a few times..he lingered a bit...

but hey...no picks..and one batted down pass is improvement I think...coupled with the fact he was efficient and made the throws when he had to...

I thought it was more a case of him being confined to lesser read options per Norv and letting the routes develope but yeah...a few times..he lingered a bit...

Yeah that deep in to Gordon? I think he was definitely waiting for the route I just don't see a lot of stuff like that working against the better D's.

I'll only quibble with the Robertson exaggeration... I like Robertson and he's fast to be sure (for an LB), but no... he was not keeping pace with Austin. Austin was pulling away. Tour

True, Robertson can't run with Austin straight line, but having the quickness, and the instincts

to be there, at that time he needed to be, that's smart football. Robertson showed serious quickness and agility

in practice, and that got him to be able to be in position.

Yeah that deep in to Gordon? I think he was definitely waiting for the route I just don't see a lot of stuff like that working against the better D's.

Yeah,I thought the same thing...backers and safeties playing full out close that window in half a millisecond for sure...But untill the kid fucks up (not hoping he does)..We give him his due and hope its a positive sign of things to come until otherwise..I was happy with the overall effort...I realize it's early..but the kicking game is a tad worrisome...

I just looked at the stats.

We gave up 4.0 yds/Rush on average (23 attempts), and only managed to generate 2.8 yds/Rush (29 attempts).

I don't care that Richardson was out, this is not encouraging and has me gearing to expect to see what we did last year Rushing.

Weeden looked better, but still has a tendency to star down Receivers.

Campbell looked decent.

Hoyer was okay, but seemed a little rushed and was firing a bit too soon.

Watched the game earlier and was glad to see the discipline on both sides of the ball.

Mingo was looking good even though he was double teamed a lot or chipped by a back or a te coming into the flat, love the speed off the edge. I noticed the d was also not giving up on plays and many players where always pursuing or in on tackles.

Would have liked to see TRich play a little but oh well. Lewis was looking like a nice little addition from the eagles. Travis Benjamin killed it on that punt return, I was hard on him for being too small for that position but if you go untouched he will be a game changer and only add W's for us on Sundays. Didn't see much of D.best but he made a nice play for a first down.

Loved the hit from kitchen in the 3rd quarter,that beast blew him off his feet which also sent the rams rb's helmet flying into the first row.

Could be an exciting year.

Gotta disagree with you slightly there. Although he wasn't officially sacked, he was heavy pressured three times to my count that caused errant throws. People sometimes tend to not realize the impact of a collapsing pocket even if the QB stays upright.

The only guy that really hurt himself last night was Trevon Wade. Granted it was with the 2nd team, but he looked AWFUL.

YEP!!

Mike

I'm calling for 12-4 / 11-5 and winning the AFCN or at least challenging for the top spot.

Top 5 Defense and Top 10 Offense.

Top 3 Rushing Offense.

Probowlers: Joe T, Mack, Haden, Ward, Benjamin, Richardson, Rubin, DQ, Kruger, Cameron and Weeden.

I'm calling for 12-4 / 11-5 and winning the AFCN or at least challenging for the top spot.

Top 5 Defense and Top 10 Offense.

Top 3 Rushing Offense.

Probowlers: Joe T, Mack, Haden, Ward, Benjamin, Richardson, Rubin, DQ, Kruger, Cameron and Weeden.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

Archived