THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp Notes, Edition #1

Shep

First, I like the weekly idea, whoever suggested it. Maybe start one every Monday?

Also, Miller's already out of the hospital and doing well. Scary concussion. He'll be good to go in a couple weeks, but I'd be worried if I were him. I always told my son he could hurt anything but his head. Once that shit starts, it's like pneumonia. You keep getting it, then you're 90 when you're 50.

I think our Offense will be much more interesting this year.

I see Chud/Norv adapting to our player's skills versus Shurmur forcing them into his scheme.

Should see a fair amount of improvement in this area overall, though I'm not sure we have the OL (agility) personel for effective Screens.

Now the Defense, that has me a bit concerned.

Our ILB's may have speed and skill but seem to be a bit on the smaller size.

I'm thinking our run D is going to be a wash (comparable to last year).

Pass D, it sounds like Haden has turned it up a notch, but the other CB I have no idea about - it's definitely going to be a weak spot.

It's possible whoever nails the other S position will be a step up, and our Pass Rush should be better . . . I just keep having flashbacks of Skrine at CB in that game he pulled penalty after penalty.

I like Horton, but the fact that his D gave up a 58-0 game against Seattle is something to think about.

Me on the weekly thread... and you're welcome...

On screen Passes: We've tried them the past two years, but simply could not execute them. Why? Multiple reasons, but starts with a QB that can sell the play. Wheezy's play fake skills have been nearly non-existant to date.

On Phil Taylor: Injury prone? The guy tore a pec bench pressing a Volvo. Aside from that he's been pretty dependable.

On Travis Benjamin: Agree that he will only improve with playing time. Once Patsy decided that he could be more than just a runner of go routes, he really came on last year. I think Bess vs. Benjie for the #3 WR is one of the best competitions going... and my $$$ is on Benjie

On screen Passes: We've tried them the past two years, but simply could not execute them. Why? Multiple reasons, but starts with a QB that can sell the play. Wheezy's play fake skills have been nearly non-existant to date.

On Phil Taylor: Injury prone? The guy tore a pec bench pressing a Volvo. Aside from that he's been pretty dependable.

On Travis Benjamin: Agree that he will only improve with playing time. Once Patsy decided that he could be more than just a runner of go routes, he really came on last year. I think Bess vs. Benjie for the #3 WR is one of the best competitions going... and my $$$ is on Benjie

From the notes on Camp I've seen so far, it sounds like Bess is catching everything that comes near him.

One note says that so far it's been the "Bess and Little" show so far.

Good to hear Little is stepping it up.

The Browns did some extensive work on screen passes, a staple of Chudzinski's offense.

Cool - I don't have to start a thread about this. The statement above is
exciting stuff.
How many folks have wondered where the hell the screen pass has been with the Browns? Other teams
have used it a ton, and the Browns kept acting like they knew they couldn't try one.

well the only screen passes we have thrown in the past 2 seasons went for pick sixes so i can see why the coaches didn't call them too often.

Everybody's linebackers are getting smaller and faster because it's a passing league.

And more and more GMs and DCs are figuring out that if your name isn't Revis, you're about as good as your pass rush.

Freaking Dimitri Patterson is getting HUGE love in Miami right now. He's starting as of today. What the hell was THAT about? He had like 13 PDs in part-time play, then we cut him in season? Last administration was just so bad.

I think our Offense will be much more interesting this year.

I see Chud/Norv adapting to our player's skills versus Shurmur forcing them into his scheme.

Should see a fair amount of improvement in this area overall, though I'm not sure we have the OL (agility) personel for effective Screens.

Now the Defense, that has me a bit concerned.

Our ILB's may have speed and skill but seem to be a bit on the smaller size.

I'm thinking our run D is going to be a wash (comparable to last year).

Pass D, it sounds like Haden has turned it up a notch, but the other CB I have no idea about - it's definitely going to be a weak spot.

It's possible whoever nails the other S position will be a step up, and our Pass Rush should be better . . . I just keep having flashbacks of Skrine at CB in that game he pulled penalty after penalty.

I like Horton, but the fact that his D gave up a 58-0 game against Seattle is something to think about.

Well then thank you!!

Biggest screen pass problem was immobile guards who couldn't get out there in time. My guess anyway.

Read a tweet that Greg Little (with photo, think Grossi) was last out of practice three straight days, working the jugs, working on everything. Guy is NOT assuming that he's "the other receiver." He went to Oklahoma for three days, in the summer (which is like going to a less hellish place for several years) to work out with Weeden and Cooper.

Again... he's Anquan Boldin if Boldin could do a 41" vert, 27 reps, and run a 4.5-ish. None of which he can. If Little has cleaned up the drops (which he did in the last 8 games last year), what's to stop him from being a superstar?

Everybody's linebackers are getting smaller and faster because it's a passing league.

And more and more GMs and DCs are figuring out that if your name isn't Revis, you're about as good as your pass rush.

Freaking Dimitri Patterson is getting HUGE love in Miami right now. He's starting as of today. What the hell was THAT about? He had like 13 PDs in part-time play, then we cut him in season? Last administration was just so bad.

Last years breakdown comes out to 44% Run vs 56% Pass, so yes, you're correct about it being a more Pass oriented League, but 44% Rushing is still a pretty huge chunk.

Couple years back we couldn't stop the run for squat, did a little better last year.

With the 3-4 switch and all, it's just a concern with our LB size that we may regress a little here.

We made a few FA moves that may alleviate this somewhat, I hope so, but right now it's a concern for me.

Patterson, if I recall correctly, was starting to behave a bit like Hillis his last year here, I believe that's why he got cut.

Different Staff then of course too, so what can you say.

Unfortunately, it's starting to sound like Gordon is just going through the motions right now.

It's starting to sound like his Team mates are getting a bit fed up with him.

That's a shame, kid's got enormous potential, sounds like he's throwing it all away.

Wouldn't be the first player we've seen that happen too, still sad to see.

Read a tweet that Greg Little (with photo, think Grossi) was last out of practice three straight days, working the jugs, working on everything. Guy is NOT assuming that he's "the other receiver." He went to Oklahoma for three days, in the summer (which is like going to a less hellish place for several years) to work out with Weeden and Cooper.

Again... he's Anquan Boldin if Boldin could do a 41" vert, 27 reps, and run a 4.5-ish. None of which he can. If Little has cleaned up the drops (which he did in the last 8 games last year), what's to stop him from being a superstar?

I just told Cal the other day that Little COULD be a "Boldin clone". He certainly has all the tools & he is determined to improve. That attitude seems to be huge in camp this year. So far, I haven't seen that fire in Gordon yet, but we'll see.

Mike

I'm thinking Bess will be pretty much confined to the slot and hold that down as the third receiver.

I can see them bringing in Benjamin on the outside and putting Gordo or Little in the slot in attempts to create some big time mismatches.

So excited for this season and a progressive coaching style instead of Holmgrens outdated forumula.

Vertical Passing,Power Running,Agressive 3-4 Defense..hmm I seem to remember someone on this board saying that's how you win this division about a year ago. ;)

I'm not at camp, meant to go today but got tied up running errands, but I'm hearing from a couple buddies there that Gordon looks like a beast today, catching everything. Ulrich is reporting that Norwood is having a great day at camp as well. Also, Little is working hard to be a star in this league. Buddies are also telling me it is obvious that Weeden is the guy, no competition at QB, kinda figured...

On D, I hear Kruger vs. Thomas is fun to watch... and, Mingo is dominating the 2nd team...

Only bad reports are injuries to Hardesty, Taylor, and Gipson but none are considered serious right now...

Me and some friends are headed to Camp this Wednesday. Excited as hell. For anyone that's been what is a good time to get there? Like how to get good seats/spots or whether or not its a good idea to bring foldable chairs? Should it be crowded on Wed?

Browns News And Notes For 7/28

Jul 28th, 2013 at 6:43 pm
by Peter SmithBrowns

Home » Browns » Browns News and Notes for 7/28

horizontal_fancred_white_73x22.png

7525978.jpg

- Today was the first practice in full pads with full contact.

- Jamoris Slaughter is not in pads for first day of real hitting to rest his Achilles. Ryan Milleris not practicing due to the concussion. Chris Faulk is not practicing due to his knee. Oniel Cousins is not practicing due to his ankle. Montario Hardesty is working with trainers on the sideline.

- Desmond Bryant sat out the first team drills and was replaced by Billy Winn. With Phil Taylor still sitting out team drills, John Hughes continues to receive first team reps at nose tackle. While the situation may be less than ideal, Hughes and Winn can use all of the first team reps they can get as they will be counted on significantly in the defensive line rotation.

- With Hardesty out, Dion Lewis took the second team reps and got a carry with the first team. Lewis has made the most of his opportunities in shorts and has an opportunity to make a splash in full contact drills. There is talk the Browns would like Lewis to fill a similar role asDarren Sproles did in San Diego under Norv Turner. Later in practice, Lewis juked SafetyKenronte Walker which drew a reaction from the crowd.

- David Nelson getting his first team reps in 11 on 11 drills as he continues to work to get back from a season ending knee injury. He caught his first touchdown in team drills fromBrian Hoyer.

- Buster Skrine and Chris Owens continue battling at cornerback with both players making hits and breaking up plays in 7 on 7.

- Tashaun Gipson hurt his shoulder in a collision with Josh Gordon. Gipson returned after getting a quick look by the trainers. Johnson Bademosi would later replace Gipson with the ones due to the shoulder. The collision happened on a nice pass from Brandon Weeden to Gordon at about 15 yards and Gordon did secure the catch getting some cheers from the crowd. Later, Weeden connected with Gordon again in the back of the end zone in 9 on 9 drills.

- Weeden was reported to have had his best day of camp to this point and spreading the wealth to Gordon, Travis Benjamin, etc. He did throw an interception to Joe Haden on an attempted pass to Jordan Cameron in the red zone. Haden had stepped in front to make the play. In a situation which Chud deemed fourth and the game, Weeden completed a touchdown pass to Gordon.

- Jordan Norwood does what Norwood periodically does and came out and had a great day. He is going to have a tough time making the roster but he will put up a fight and could be one of the last guys let go if that is the route they choose.

- Barkevious Mingo blew by backup offensive tackle to get a touch sack on Jason Campbell.

- Chud described Gipson’s injury as a shoulder sprain. He said Bryant had back spasms and is day to day. Hardesty has a hamstring and is day to day as well, but Chud said he was not concerned about these injuries. Also mentioned was that Ryan Miller is in the concussion protocol. Chud mentioned that Dion Lewis had a couple of good plays.

Mik used to attend regularly until Browns security gave him a lifetime banishment...lol

man-tasered-police-taser-video.jpg

LMAO!!!! As a police officer I always appreciate a good taze to the disorderly. It's a shame mik got kicked out of camp though.

Yeah, read several places that Gordon really picked it up over the weekend. He was said to be a "little gimpy," like a slight ankle sprain, and may have been just coasting a little. Never heard about any coaches getting on him.

Little, Dion, and Kruger seem like the stories so far. All playing their asses off. Kruger is said to just look like the best pass rusher on a team with a lot of them. Coaches are working with Cameron a lot on his route running, always a bit sloppy, and if they can get it right there aren't a lot of TEs with more overall athleticisim.

Looking more and more like Greco will start on the left side and Lauvao keeps his job on the right. He came into camp in the best shape of his life and has indeed gotten out into space better. He still gets beats on blitzes to his inside shoulder but I think the coaches are starting to feel good about him. He is the prototypical RG, lifts like a mad man, crazy strong.

Chris Owens is playing extremely well opposite Haden, showing why his outside numbers were excellent in Atlanta. He just seems more comfortable there. Conversely, Skrine is in the slot and that's where HE seems way more comfortable. They're all making life tough for Leon McFadden... and that's a high-class problem.

Prior to shoulder tweak, Gipson was making Horton repeat that he didn't need Rhodes, if you know what I'm saying. Horton said he liked Gipson on tape but even better in person. Very smooth in coverage. Robertson has quickly become a Horton favorite, too.

Archived