THE BROWNS BOARD

Pew Study: 48% Of Americans Think Growth Of Nonreligious Demographic Bad For Country

VaporTrail

87 percent of the people polled think it's not a good thing.

Makes sense.....

But the question is seriously flawed.

The inference is, that "non-religious" equates to "non-Christian", which is not true.

I am a Christian, but I am hardly religious.

"religious" being defined as "not involved in open church activities nor a member of a church, nor human viewpoint religious practices."

The only thing I have against churches...is that there are people there. @@

Its encouraging to see the drop as a function of age.

I'm guessing religious people, or vaguely religious people, view non religious people as not being moral. I mean, if a book isn't there to tell you right from wrong then how would you ever know?

Its encouraging to see the drop as a function of age.

I'm guessing religious people, or vaguely religious people, view non religious people as not being moral. I mean, if a book isn't there to tell you right from wrong then how would you ever know?

One thing you don't understand woody is that as you age your viewpoints change as well. You may not think so now, but I guarantee you they do.

One thing you don't understand woody is that as you age your viewpoints change as well. You may not think so now, but I guarantee you they do.

Except I do understand that and I'm sure some will.

I won't become a religious person though. If all the stories didn't get to me as a child, I don't see them working as I become more educated. You can throw around the "you're young and don't know any better" excuse all you like, but I don't see this view point changing. I don't see a lot of my views like this changing actually (baring new facts/science/ etc). I'm not sure what you expect to change my mind on this

I believe we are better off as a society with less of a religious influence.

Except I do understand that and I'm sure some will.

I won't become a religious person though. If all the stories didn't get to me as a child, I don't see them working as I become more educated. You can throw around the "you're young and don't know any better" excuse all you like, but I don't see this view point changing. I don't see a lot of my views like this changing actually (baring new facts/science/ etc). I'm not sure what you expect to change my mind on this

I believe we are better off as a society with less of a religious influence.

You're a youngster Woody?

I guess we'll all have to adjust our attitudes toward you son.

2by5go.jpg

I love that pic.

The following quote was falsely attributed to Winston Churchill. The actual author is unknown.

"if you're not a liberal at age 20 you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at 40 you have no brain."

That is so true. You people make policy based on feelings, emotion, and compassion.

The results usually end up in disaster..Give that some thought.

Back on topic, you say we should have less religious influence in society as if there were too much. Really? How so?

Think of how much religious influence there would be if the so called "separation of church and state" amendment was not misinterpreted by libtard judges.

There is no such thing as the separation of church and state, it is not in the Constitution.

You don't want there to be separation of church and state? Of course it would be worse without that, that doesn't mean we can't still improve though.

"The results end up in disaster" Like what? What exactly will be the "disaster" from legalizing gay marriage? Or keeping abortion legal?

I like to make decisions based on fact, science, common sense, etc. Not tradition, religion, etc.

FYI, I'm not really a liberal and I'm not 18. I may seem liberal to you guys but that's just because you're waaaaaaay right.

There is no "separation of church and state".

There IS, "the state shall not establish an official religion".

But it has been misconstrued, most intentionally, I think, as prohibiting kids from wearing their church

t-shirts. Or reading their Bible during free time. Or being allowed to have Bible studies on their own,

after school. Or being allowed to privately, silently pray before lunch. The list goes on.

Obamao has the military up in arms about PERSONAL religious beliefs. We've explained the answers to your questions,

but typically, with most all libs, they just ignore the elaborate answers and discussions, and they simply wait til later,

and ask the same questions again, hoping to get no answer so they can claim vindicated. That's bs.

And, Woody, I've never thought you were eighteen. Fourth grade would make you about...oh...ten maybe.

personally I don't see the " I hate queers" rabidly angry people as Christians.

one of the main reasons that I don't consider myself a Christian is the love thy neighbor turn the other cheek doctrine.

still when I was young and considered myself part of that religion I never saw nor heard any of the vitriol. Anything I witnessed in church was positive and something I believe the world was better for.

whether any of you anti Christians want to believe it or not our legal system is at least in part based on the 10 commandments.

so even though I can't buy into the religion I think we'd be better off if more people did.

WSS

I wouldn't call myself anti-Christian.

I'm also not saying that there hasn't been some positive influence from religion on society. There are a lot of stories and ideals in the Bible that show a good way to live your life.

We aren't in the Dark Ages any more though. Religion isn't needed to keep people in line. I think its just holding us back now. Its harder to make scientific and societal advances when a large portion of the population is against it because it goes against what happens to be in their story book of choice.

elaborate = extensive, lengthy

Doesn't infer good or bad. But decent honest reply for a change in your last post.

But "goes against Ebay" ???

Every society on earth has rules to protect their society. Libs always

want to change all the rules, that's the crux of the matter.

Yes... if only the rules from the beginning of civilization never changed. Changing rules is crazy and should never happen. Why would we ever change rules?

You, boy, go have your monkey ass get me some iced tea on this hot Georgia afternoon. Don't back talk me boy!

Yeah, changing rules is dumb.

Anyway, if elaborate to you means just long responses then sure, you have elaborate responses.

This sentence is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very elaborate

Oh, no it's not. Give me a break. Stop ruining my vacation.

I'm not sure that when whoever wrote the constituation (I'm not American) sat down, they didn't say "what do the commandments say?" but perhaps there's just a lot of crossover between what the 10 commandments say and what most people believe is 'morally right' - such as avoiding murder, theft etc.

Not really against religion--it's the churches where those religions are practiced that I have a problem with.

A preacher who stands in front of his congregation and decrees who they should vote for and threatens expulsion

from the church if anyone goes against his wishes--WTF.

Don't really care what you believe--it's everyones right to practice whatever religion they see fit--or to not

participate at all. My problem starts when people choose to share their beliefs with me and I tell them politely

I'm not interested and they take that as an invitation to double down on their sharing .

I look at the Ten Commandments as basic rules for an orderly society. None of us were around when these rules

were first trotted out so I won't venture a guess as to where or who they came from.

So you want to live under religious law Stewy? Like, say, Sharia law?

Umm yeah Crisco, I want to live under Sharia law.

That is exactly what the First Amendment of Constitution protects us against idiot..."Congress shall MAKE NO LAW 'respecting' the establishment of religion or the free exercise of. Nothing more. In England you had to be the Kings religion or you were shit.

If you're still having trouble interpreting it, look up the word "respecting", it means "having to do with" or "regarding"...so in other words, "Congress shall make no law having to do with the establishment of religion..."

A street sign was placed on a street in N.Y. honoring the 7 firefighters that died on 9/11. The sign was named "Seven in Heaven Way"...

...and wouldn't you know it, a bunch of "offened" crybaby atheist liberals like Woody and Heckles demanded the sign removed because it violates "the separation of church and state" law... which as you should have learned by now doesnt even exist .

That's the kind of stupid liberal shit I'm talking about...or that a judge cant hang the Ten Commandments in his courtroom because it violates the "SOCAS". Thats bullshit.

.http://defendingcontending.com/2011/06/22/anti-theists-all-aflutter-over-a-street-sign/

20u249f.jpg

I'm not sure that when whoever wrote the constituation (I'm not American) sat down, they didn't say "what do the commandments say?" but perhaps there's just a lot of crossover between what the 10 commandments say and what most people believe is 'morally right' - such as avoiding murder, theft etc.

I'm sure a great deal of our legal thought comes from what we brought over from jolly old England, thank you. There is no reason to believe that absolutely none of it was taken from the Old Testament law.

WSS

Steve, the problem with what you're saying is that it's just not a very good point to argue over. Was American law influenced by the Ten Commandments? Sure, but I could say the same thing about Confucianism or any other legal system that's ever existed.

I'm not the one arguing over it. I said that our legal system is based partly upon the 10 commandments, which it most certainly is. You guys came back with no it isn't, which is mere knee jerk contrarianism.

you might have a better point about Confucius if any of the founding fathers were Chinese. Of course they weren't they were British subjects coming from a time in which the Bible was the most influential and most widely read work in their culture.I realize that you want to believe that their views were similar to Christopher Hitchens but they just weren't.

WSS

In God we Trust. You have to swear to the bible when you testify in court. I'd say God has a large effect on the USA.

I don't think that's strictly ture, is it? I'm sure Muslims get to swear on a quran, and presumably secular folk get to swear a non-religious oath. I'm sure not many will because the chances are the jury is at least half Christian, so it'd give an instant bad impression, but if Richard Dawkins were in court for whatever reason, he would.

Archived