THE BROWNS BOARD

Great News

Man what a feel good story, I've never seen anything on the news that made me happier than this.

What's really messed up is the dude that abducted them wrote an article in their community paper about Dejesus.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.nhlink.net/plainpress/html/stories/2004-06/dejesusdisappearancechangesneighborhood.htm

Gina DeJesus’ disappearance has changed her neighborhood
by Ariel Castro

(Plain Press, June 2004) Since April 2, 2004 , the day 14-year-old Gina DeJesus was last seen on her way home from Wilbur Wright Middle School , neighborhood residents have been taken by an overwhelming need for caution. Parents are more strictly enforcing curfews, encouraging their children to walk in groups, or driving them to and from school when they had previously walked alone.

“You can tell the difference,” DeJesus’ mother, Nancy Ruiz said. “People are watching out for each other’s kids. It’s a shame that a tragedy had to happen for me to really know my neighbors. Bless their hearts, they’ve been great.”

On Cleveland ’s west side, it is difficult to go any length of time without seeing Gina’s picture on telephone poles, in windows, or on cars along the busy streets.

“People are really looking out for my daughter,” Ruiz said.

For seven weeks, Gina’s family has been organizing searches, holding prayer vigils, posting fliers and calling press conferences. Despite the many tips and rumors that have been circulating in the neighborhood, there has been no sign of her.

One thing is for certain, however. Almost everyone feels a connection with the family, and Gina’s disappearance has the whole area talking.

“It’s traumatized a lot of people,” Bob Zak, Safety Coordinator of the Westown Community Development Corporation, said. “People are suspicious of everyone. Kids, parents, and grandparents are afraid.”

The organization serves Cleveland ’s Ward 19, which stretches from West Boulevard to West 134th Street .

Parents and relatives waiting for their children as school let out at Wilbur Wright recently expressed concern about the number of sex offenders living and working in the area.

“I really believe there needs to be more security,” Vaneetha Smith said as she waited for her niece outside Wilbur Wright Middle School at the end of the day. “We have too many kidnappings, and they should crack down on all the sex offenders in the area.”

Luis Perez echoed Smith’s concerns as he waited for his niece at the school.

“I think the neighborhood is pretty bad,” he said. “You have to be aware of some people out there.”

The Ohio Electronic Sex Offender Registration and Notification (eSORN) database lists 133 sex offenders living or working in Gina’s immediate zip code. Many residents of the area, however, cannot use the database, as they do not have access to the Internet at home.

“I have been here almost four years and I have been notified of only one sex offender,” Ruiz said. “And he lives only about 1,000 feet away from here.”

Ohio law prohibits sex offenders who are required to register from establishing their residence within 1,000 feet of school buildings.

“There is no enforcing the laws because they still live right next to the schools and the bus stops,” Ruiz said. She believes the process of registering sex offenders is essentially a waste of time.

At a Ward 19 crime watch meeting, one of ten monthly, residents describe the area as a multi-ethnic community where people work and try to keep their housing up to par. They feel the disappearance of Amanda Berry on April 21, 2003 was a wake-up call, but Gina’s case really caught everyone’s attention.

Many residents believe the schools and the city have more work to do to help out.

“There is not enough supervision at the schools and when the kids get out, they still run through the streets,” Smith said. “They say that once they leave the school premises, the school is not responsible for them. But until they reach their house, I believe they are. They should be more concerned with their safety.”

“The school is supposed to be a safe place,” Perez said. “They need more police around the schools, surrounding the area. Without that, it’s just going to keep on going and there will be more innocent people getting hurt.”

Isaac Rodriguez has seen some changes happen at Wilbur Wright.

“There are more security guards at the school now,” the father of two middle school students said. “They have been having assemblies and talking to the kids about the danger.”

“When you send your kids out to school now”, Smith said, “you don’t know if they are going to make it home or not. From West 105th to [West 110th], anything could happen. I feel the mayor should do something about that. The children should be our first priority, no matter what else is going on in the city.”

Zak, a former Cleveland police officer of 30 years, believes the community is feeling the effects of the city’s cuts in the police force.

“The first thing a city should do is protect its citizens,” he said. Although police cannot be on the scene of every crime as they occur, Zak reports that residents are getting responses to calls “one, two, and four hours later.”

Cuts in the police force are not the only budget changes that are directly affecting residents. The Cleveland Municipal School District is also mulling how it will eliminate its projected $100 million budget deficit. Among the items cut will be purchased services, employee overtime, supplemental pay, textbooks, school staff and student transportation.

In a couple of interviews, the sicko was actually known to be a bus driver. Of kids.

And, they say he owns two other houses. Really, seriously so sick I can't watch any more of it.

So sad those girls weren't carrying a concealed gun ten years ago.

In a couple of interviews, the sicko was actually known to be a bus driver. Of kids.

And, they say he owns two other houses. Really, seriously so sick I can't watch any more of it.

So sad those girls weren't carrying a concealed gun ten years ago.

Oh god stop right now

just a thought amidst all the joy and warm feelings, these women are probably incredibly fucked up and that's something that will haunt them the rest of their lives.

I'd place this crime at the very outer edge of horrendous.

WSS

Undoubtably, Steve, but alive and fucked up beats in a plastic bag in the crawl space. There's an awful lot to hear yet about this case but at the moment I'm just amazed and happy they've been found. I did not expect that at all.

When the story comes out more and more, I fear it will be the tip of the iceberg right now -

3 houses, two brothers... maybe they kept three women and sold the rest of the kidnapped women...

sounds like a horror flick. Rumblings of disturbed dirt out behind that house...

Frightening sick stuff. Has to be a devastating affect on them forever, as well as their families.

That's a rather bleak outlook on things Cal, the worst of it is over for them and I'm sure the women and their families are filled with joy.

I agree though, and who knows the extent of the things that went on, just said on the news there were as many as 5 pregnancys.

Got a feeling that Dejesus may be in the worst mental state, heard on the radio that Berry got preferential treatment.

As much bullshit as you see on the news this is one story that actually makes you feel good.

You're right - on the flip side, Elizebeth Smart seems to be doing well.

We need a task force assembled to combat this stuff.

heck, I'm honest to God not trying to be bickersome here but I really think you took that the wrong way. I think all of us after something like this happens find ourselves wondering what we might be able to do to prevent or solve future cases or, well, something.

even if the answer is not very damn much.

my only take on anything beyond being glad that they were found is that I hope every minute of the remaining life these guys have is as miserable as possible.

WSS

Yes.

This board is littered with examples of people calling for a government response to some sort of problem. Except when that problem is people shooting other people to death in large numbers. That problem you have to accept. Not only that, stop exploiting those deaths with all of your mentioning of it!

Sometimes this inconsistency is a little too obvious to ignore. Like when three Cuban guys abduct three teenage girls and keep them in a dungeon for a decade - that happens all the time. We must look into this sort of thing, study it, and make some policy recommendations!

Gun violence? Eh, what are you going to do?

Yes.

This board is littered with examples of people calling for a government response to some sort of problem. Except when that problem is people shooting other people to death in large numbers. That problem you have to accept. Not only that, stop exploiting those deaths with all of your mentioning of it!

Sometimes this inconsistency is a little too obvious to ignore. Like when three Cuban guys abduct three teenage girls and keep them in a dungeon for a decade - that happens all the time. We must look into this sort of thing, study it, and make some policy recommendations!

Gun violence? Eh, what are you going to do?

Fairly sure he was being sarcastic, but these sick bastards need no less than the death sentence, right after everyone that was effected kicks them in the balls 100 times each. Anything less is failure of the judicial system.

Fairly sure he was being sarcastic, but these sick bastards need no less than the death sentence, right after everyone that was effected kicks them in the balls 100 times each. Anything less is failure of the judicial system.

I don't know if they'd be eligible for a death sentence, but if you want to put them through hell, send these three child molesters to the local correctional facility and watch what happens.

It's a very hierarchical world, and they're about to be on the very bottom.

Literally.

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. But I also was not referring to this incident.

I was referring to the possibility that these sick psychoes are part of the sex slave trade.

And the sex slave horror goes on in our country. We have task forces for gangs...

etc. so....

The truth is, this may very well not be just one incident. The one brother owned two other houses.

I saw a bit of an expose on this ...not for long, it was going to make me sick, so I changed the channel.

Here - the first of many links on a simple lookup:

I'm not reading this stuff... but that's why I said what I said.:

1. Girls, Human Trafficking, And Modern Slavery In America ...
    thinkprogress.org/.../girls-human-trafficking-and-modern-slavery-in-am...‎
    Oct 6, 2012 – Many of the slaves today are girls. Born in America. ... The majority of these children being sold for sex are girls between the ages of 12 and 14. They are girls... In many respects, the girl trade has replaced the drug trade.
  2. Sexual slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_slavery‎
    ... that the majority of girls in the sex trade were abused as children. ... of the possibility for former sex slaves to obtain a T-1 visa.
  3. New York Times' Op-ed Confirms US Has Teen Sex Slave Epidemic
    www.huffingtonpost.com/conchita-s.../sex-trafficking_b_1437600.html‎
    Apr 23, 2012 – After years reporting about sex trade in the Huffington Post, this ... In the meantime, Brianna is one of one hundred thousand American girls see ...
  4. Sex Slave Trade in America by Maddy Herren on Prezi
    prezi.com/e-66x5vtvz2j/sex-slave-trade-in-america/‎
    Dec 11, 2012 – Sex Slave Trade In America When you hear the words "sex trafficking," what do you think of? You probably think of women and children in third ...
  5. Sex slavery: Living the American nightmare - US news - Crime ...
    www.nbcnews.com/.../sex-slavery-living-american-nightmare/‎
    Dec 22, 2008 – Bexar County is considered a crossroads of the cross-border Mexican sex slave trade because two Interstate highways that crisscross the state ...
  6. America's Modern Day Slave Trade: Human Trafficking in the Sex ...
    voices.yahoo.com/americas-modern-day-slave-trade-human-trafficking-...‎
    Aug 29, 2006 – Girls as young as 14 are shipped from foreign countries to be prostitutes in America. It's the modern day slave-trade, and it's happening right ...
  7. Seasons in Hell: The Brutality of America's Modern Day Slave Trade
    pjmedia.com/.../seasons-in-hell-the-brutality-of-americas-modern-day-sla...‎
    Jan 7, 2012 – But the reality is that America's modern day slave trade is as barbaric and brutal as slavery was before emancipation. During the investigation ...
  8. Teen Sex Slave Trade Hits Home - ABC News
    abcnews.go.com › GMA
    Jan 30, 2007 – Teen Sex Slave Trade Hits Home. ... The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that between 100,000 and 3 million American kids under age 18 ...

So horrible. There were reports in past years, at that house, that neighbors witnessed

naked women crawling on hands and knees, with leashes on, and men holding the leashes.

Different times, they called the Cleveland police. They also called with reports of a woman and child

pounding on a window upstairs.

The police came out, no one answered the door.... the police never followed up with a search warrant each time...???.

So horrible. There were reports in past years, at that house, that neighbors witnessed

naked women crawling on hands and knees, with leashes on, and men holding the leashes.

Different times, they called the Cleveland police. They also called with reports of a woman and child

pounding on a window upstairs.

The police came out, no one answered the door.... the police never followed up with a search warrant each time...???.

The Police say they have no records of phone calls relating to that. They were called on two occasions and one was by Castro himself reporting a fight in the streets.

Social Services came out once I guess because Castro left a kid on his bus but no one answered the door.

A lot of crazy shit goes on in the hood... doesn't surprise me that people would brush it off.. sad.

You had to know that eventually with all this constant coverage that sooner or later there would be criticism of the 911 operator and the Police.

Archived