THE BROWNS BOARD

Holy Shit

The cargo was not secured properly. As it took off, some boxes shifted to the back of the plane, putting the center of gravity wayyyyy too far back, that's why its nose goes so high. The plane stalls, and there's not nearly enough altitude to recover.

Who's to blame for this? The pilot? The crew chief? The guys who loaded it? There was only seven people on board it was definitely a cargo plane. It seems like more than a little detail. How many times has something like this happened before the viral video age?

I found this comment among a bunch of trash elsewhere. Seems to know what hrs talking about. Looks like the pilot attempted said heroic maneuver but just didn't have the altitude. In retrospect it was a great try to get the nose down if that's what happened.

"I certainly don't know what happened on that flight, but as a 40 year pilot (USAF, and civilian) my best initial guess would be that the cargo broke loose and caused a CG shift that the pilots could not counter with control inputs. This has happened numerous times in the past, with generally fatal results.

The classic scenario is that heavy cargo breaks loose, slides towards the tail of the plane, and causes a massive CG shift to the rear. The plane then goes into an uncontrollable pitch up that the pilots cannot counter. There are heroic maneuvers that can possibly prolong the inevitable, like rolling hard to get the nose down but, in the end, unless the cargo returns to the correct location (which it might if the nose goes down enough, but it could also go too far forward), the plane is un-landable.

Whatever the cause I feel for the pilots and crew. From a pilots point of view there is nothing so frightening as a situation in which there is no action that the pilots can perform that will save the day. Pilots don't like to be passengers on planes they are supposed to be flying."

The crew that secured the cargo may be subject to trial. The defense will argue that it was the fault of the components and not the ground crew. Is the ground crew responsible for new equipment when things deteriorate? If so, then it falls on the grunts' supervisor. Either way, you're not going to find much evidence after its been in that fireball.

Archived