THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama Signs Monsanto Protection Act Into Law

Cal is ...actually correct. Monsanto's real game is to design GMO crops, own the rights/patents for the seeds, and often create crops that are only treatable with Monsanto pesticides like Roundup. They want to own the entire process. Heck

Oh, BS, Heck, for cryin out loud. WTF?

I am not correct, and you kno....

hey. Wait a minute. Something'rolleyes.gifs wrong here.....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What defines GMO? You cross any two plants, and that is a genetically modified organism. You want to feed 300 million people, you're going to want plants that are hardy and resistant to pests. Is it changing them otherwise? Probably, but there's not really much science, as heck has pointed out, to suggest it's harmful. Not at this point, anyways.

I'll give an example I know personally and you can make of it what you will. And again, I'm usually arguing against liberals on this issue. Liberals are almost always anti-GMO. (They often conveniently pick which science they accept.)

I know someone who used to work at Monsanto and became rather wealthy because he'd developed a tomato that need far less water to grow and was more resistant to disease than your typical tomato. This garnered him enough acclaim that Bill Gates hired him away from Monsanto to come work for the Gates Foundation, specifically to translate this kind of technology to create crops that would grow in the poorest, least arable regions in Africa. And that's what he still does.

Now, Leg, I wouldn't imagine that you think this is a bad thing - making crops resistant to drought and disease so that they can grow in areas where they typically couldn't - especially if there's no evidence that the GMO tomatoes or corn or whatever are harmful to humans. This is good news.

Of course, that's a different question from whether or not Monsanto should receive immunity from legal action for some specific technology they're working on, but this doesn't seem to be the real source of your anger. You think GMOs are poisons that cause cancers. And yet you've still failed to show one reputable study that proves this link. In fact, a quick Google search of the quote you pulled up top:

"The results of most studies with GM foods indicate that they may cause some common toxic effects such as hepatic, pancreatic, renal, or reproductive effects and may alter the hematological, biochemical, and immunologic parameters."

...was conveniently missing the next line:

"However, many years of research with animals and clinical trials are required for this assessment."

Also, when I've Googled the "Monsanto Protection Act" I keep seeing links to Infowars. I also see that your last post before this was something you saw on Infowars.

It's none of my business how you get your news, but I'd strongly, strongly suggest that you get it from someplace other than Infowars.

What defines GMO? You cross any two plants, and that is a genetically modified organism. You want to feed 300 million people, you're going to want plants that are hardy and resistant to pests. Is it changing them otherwise? Probably, but there's not really much science, as heck has pointed out, to suggest it's harmful. Not at this point, anyways.

Vapor

A cross between two different plants would be a hybrid. The seeds won't produce the same fruit/veggie as the hybrid. That is a natural

cross.

But GMO is dna modification, way different deal. Artificial. Meaning, it makes it possible to modify dna artificially, and cross

natural borders.

I think we need more than the current level of research to establish the safety of all gmo produced food.

Livestock, etc, concern me even more: (the gmo thing locks you into to buying THEIR SEED FOREVER. You can't keep it

and re-plant the seed, legally, at least so far, ....

In some countries, recombinant bovine somatotropin (also called rBST, or bovine growth hormone or BGH) is approved for administration to dairy cows in order to increase milk production. rBST may be present in milk from rBST treated cows, but it is destroyed in the digestive system and even if directly injected, has no direct affect on humans.[64][65] TheFood and Drug Administration, World Health Organization, American Medical Association, American Dietetic Association, and the National Institute of Health have independently stated that dairy products and meat from BST treated cows are safe for human consumption.[66]

However, on 30 September 2010, the United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, analyzing evidence submitted in briefs, found that there is a "compositional difference" between milk from rBGH-treated cows and milk from untreated cows.[67][68] The court stated that milk from rBGH-treated cows has: increased levels of the hormone Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1); higher fat content and lower protein content when produced at certain points in the cow's lactation cycle; and more somatic cell counts, which may "make the milk turn sour more quickly."[68]

People freaking out about GMOs probably falls under the same category as the publics opinion on nuclear energy, global warming, etc. Its easy to tell people whatever you want when science is involved. Scary scary science

Another well thought out, intelligent post from the Engineering Student. (ROFLMAO).

Pathetic? When I was your age I was banging chicks and having fun, not on an internet board.

And yet now you are a grown man? I don't know if you ever matured...

I'm still waiting for a reason why it seems like I'm not in engineering

But I won't get one because you're just a sad troll

On Friday, Mikulski’s office issued a statement that appeared to attempt to take the blame away from the senator, saying the provision was included in legislation completed in fall 2012, before she became chairwoman of the committee.

"Senator Mikulski understands the anger over this provision,” the statement also said. “She didn't put the language in the bill and doesn't support it either.”

Kimbrell called the statement a “positive first step” and said the Center for Food Safety and others have now set their sights on making sure the six-month provision in not included in future legislation.

He said Democratic Sens. John Tester, Montana; Kirsten Gillibrand, New York; Patrick Leahy, Vermont; Mark Begich, Alaska; and Richard Blumethal, Connecticut, already oppose the rider.

Tester told Politico that the deal worked out with Monsanto, the world’s biggest producer of genetically modified crops and seeds, was simply bad policy.

“These provisions are giveaways, pure and simple, and will be a boon worth millions of dollars to a handful of the biggest corporations in this country,” he said.

Burn unit? Okay I'm lost. Must be a Virginia thing.

Because you burned him bad with that insult.. (I can't tell if you're being serious or not)

Don't you guys get it by now? Woody does not stand for anything at all. He takes these weak position on issues on this board just to stir things up. He has never presented an intelligent argument for why he believes what he believes, and all his posts are 1-2 two lines just degrading the original post for no reason.

Pick and choose my posts if you like, idc.

Most of the shit Cal posts doesn't deserve a long response and if I take the time its all for nothing. Take the global warming thread. Posted tons of actual points and evidence and science, made no difference.

Now you crawl out from under your rock for the lone purpose of insulting my ports and repeating what Cal says? Lol OK. Have fun with that. Keep trying to say my posts need to be at these high standards when the majority of other posts arent. Idk what you learned at Cincy but damn.

I've given thought out responses before, they do nothing to break through some of the idiocy on this board. I'm not about to waste my time on break from work typing a long response from my phone to "Libtard! Fags! Obamao! Hitler!"....

Because you burned him bad with that insult.. (I can't tell if you're being serious or not)

Don't you guys get it by now? Woody does not stand for anything at all. He takes these weak position on issues on this board just to stir things up. He has never presented an intelligent argument for why he believes what he believes, and all his posts are 1-2 two lines just degrading the original post for no reason.

You're not the first to espouse that opinion, but like I've said on numerous occasions, I often give woody a pass because many times you guys are not worthy of honest well thought out responses. There's numerous people on here who think they're making some sort of awesome point but in reality its like listening to glen beck with a mouthful of mud try and reason with the backside of a goat. In other words, not worth responding to with anything other than derision.

"Since 2000, at least 35 peer-reviewed studies have been published on the consumption of GMOs, and every single one showed no negative effects — or positive effects — on the health of the consumer. In 2012, the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), a non-profit governed by a bunch of academics, concluded that GMOs “pose no greater risk than the same foods made from crops modified by conventional plant breeding techniques” like our old friend Gregor’s. They noted that the World Health Organization, American Medical Association, National Academy of Sciences, and British Royal Society had all reached similar conclusions."

The rest of the article is here, and defends the "Monsanto Protection Act."

I'm wondering if Kosar is still anti-GMO. And I'll even admit that messing with nature gives me the willies. But as someone who does this explained it to me once, "If your body recognizes a gene it recognizes a gene. If we put a gene it recognizes into another plant to make it do X better, it still recognizes the gene." Which is probably dumbed way, way down so someone like me can understand it (I know nothing of chemistry) but there you go.

Archived