THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Draft Consensus

The Gipper

He can cover

Incorrect. He CANNOT cover. He simply took ridiculously unsound chances because he had Morris Claiborne shutting down the other receiver, and brandon taylor at safety [3rd round, Chargers, 2012] over the top. Even the other safety, craig loston, is also NFL-caliber. In 2010, he was just the 3rd cornerback - with Claiborne and Peterson as the starting CB's.

To recap: He's slow. He's weak. He's small. And of LSU's starting DB's the one year he started, he was the only one they should have attacked, because the other 3 were near the top in the nation at their position.

In the NFL, he is the guy other teams will iso attack every play until he's subbed out, because the only thing he did to appear NFL-caliber is guess.. so if you force him to play straight-up, he will lose 100% of the time.

Jones' spinal issue is the same one that ended Sterling Sharpe's career, among others. The only thing that's certain about Jones is that his career will be extremely short.

He simply took ridiculously unsound chances because he had Morris Claiborne shutting down the other receiver,

man i was so high on claiborne in last year's draft, but if you take his play in his rookie year is the benchmark for LSU's defensive backfield play and their transition from college to pro, then what a fraud. i myself don't believe that. i think claiborne will be a great NFL player. i think he was given a huge task in his first year under rob ryan and all his gimmicks and quirks.

that being said i also think mathieu will be very good. unsympathetic your argument doesn't hold water. why didn't they pick on mathieu like you suggest they should have? i guess claiborne was next to him when he returned kicks too?

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

You’ve got questions and comments that you submit to the Browns’ official Facebook and Twitter pages. Here’s what I have to say about what you have to say:

Brenin – What do you think are the Browns’ possibilities of taking the LB/DE that they deem the best pass rusher at No. 6, then taking Tyrann Mathieu in the third round to help at corner? I think he’ll be a beast in the league.

Brenin, the good news is that the Browns would appear to have several options to land a quality outside linebacker/defensive end with the sixth overall pick of the draft.

The NFL Scouting Combine seemed to confirm what many player-personnel evaluators around the league believed through last season – that this draft class is fairly deep with edge pass-rushers.

The Combine performances by outside linebackers and/or defensive ends capable of shifting to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme were mostly strong, demonstrating that they have the exceptional speed, strength, and athleticism that teams covet from players whose primary job is to get to the quarterback.

It’s still early in the process, and we’ll see how the on-campus drills go. But I think the list of likely candidates would include Dion Jordan from Oregon, Jarvis Jones from Georgia, and Ezekiel (Ziggy) Ansah from BYU. Damontre Moore, defensive end from Texas A&M, might have hurt his chances of being a top-10 pick with a poor Combine showing in the strength and speed categories.

Mathieu, a cornerback from LSU, is certainly worth considering in the third round, where the Browns have their second overall pick and where he still could very well be available. He could, as you mentioned, very well be a “beast” in the NFL. But his many off-field problems are a concern.

The cornerback the Browns select first will be chosen with the idea of making an immediate impact at a spot where the Browns need immediate help. It’s reasonable to wonder whether Mathieu is that player because of his history of questionable behavior and because he tends to rely heavily on his aggressiveness and instincts, something NFL quarterbacks would likely have little problem exploiting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Not that I agree that QBs will be able to exploit him but it's relevant, I guess.

...found this about Haden... ML is such a douchebag

Back in 2010, Florida Gators cornerback Joe Haden was gearing up for the NFL Combine and looking like a top ten pick in the upcoming Draft. But after he ran a slightly disappointing 4.57 in his 40-Yard Dash, analysts from the NFL Network started second guessing just how good Haden might be. Analyst Bucky Brooks said, ”it’s going to be hard for some scouts to get that 4.57 out of their mind when they think about [Haden] being an elite player. It’s rare for a team to take a guy with that kind of speed as a top 15 or top 10 pick.”

Well, Haden ended up going number seven overall to the Cleveland Browns, but the criticism didn’t stop. Michael Lombardi, writing for NFL.com, stated that ”According to coaches around the league, Browns first-round pick Joe Haden has not been very impressive in camps and might not have enough speed to play corner.”

All Haden did was record 64 tackles and six interceptions his rookie year. Going into his fourth year in the league, Mr. Haden is doing just fine for himself.

Found this on Vontaze Burfict... I won't say how I practically begged the FO to take this guy the entire draft...

Vontaze Burfict was a stud linebacker during his college career at Arizona State, but the projected first-round pick came into the 2012 NFL Combine with some baggage after being pegged as a hothead. He did himself no favors at the Combine, running an uber-slow 5.09 40-Yard Dash and reportedly blaming his coaches for his up and down junior season in team interviews.

Burfict went completely undrafted after the Combine, a shock for a guy who was once considered one of the top three linebackers in the 2012 draft. Burfict signed on with the Cincinnati Bengals, where he would start 14 games and lead the team in tackles with 127. He’s also been incident-free during his time in the NFL. Sometimes you’ve got to dig a little deeper on a guy, and 31 teams whiffed on Burfict.

Incorrect. He CANNOT cover. He simply took ridiculously unsound chances because he had Morris Claiborne shutting down the other receiver, and brandon taylor at safety [3rd round, Chargers, 2012] over the top. Even the other safety, craig loston, is also NFL-caliber. In 2010, he was just the 3rd cornerback - with Claiborne and Peterson as the starting CB's.

To recap: He's slow. He's weak. He's small. And of LSU's starting DB's the one year he started, he was the only one they should have attacked, because the other 3 were near the top in the nation at their position.

In the NFL, he is the guy other teams will iso attack every play until he's subbed out, because the only thing he did to appear NFL-caliber is guess.. so if you force him to play straight-up, he will lose 100% of the time.

Jones' spinal issue is the same one that ended Sterling Sharpe's career, among others. The only thing that's certain about Jones is that his career will be extremely short.

I guess we just disagree. I watch a lot of SEC football, living in the heart of Dixie, and from what I saw he covered pretty well.

Don't forget the other scenarios for the 3rd round pick:

We've still got Lauvao at RG, and if Barrett Jones is still there in the 3rd, I really rather have him.

Also Moore/USC or Wilson/WSU at WR would be great value at that spot.

We do need a new CB starter, but there will be starter-level CB's available at the top of the 4th.

Found this on Vontaze Burfict... I won't say how I practically begged the FO to take this guy the entire draft... <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">Vontaze Burfict was a stud linebacker during his college career at Arizona State, but the projected first-round pick came into the 2012 NFL Combine with some baggage after being pegged as a hothead. He did himself no favors at the Combine, running an uber-slow 5.09 40-Yard Dash and reportedly blaming his coaches for his up and down junior season in team interviews.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">Burfict went completely undrafted after the Combine, a shock for a guy who was once considered one of the top three linebackers in the 2012 draft. Burfict signed on with the Cincinnati Bengals, where he would start 14 games and lead the team in tackles with 127. He’s also been incident-free during his time in the NFL. Sometimes you’ve got to dig a little deeper on a guy, and 31 teams whiffed on Burfict. Poet

I don't see it that way, though. Burfict may have very well only succeeded BECAUSE he was overlooked, and fell out of the draft.

It surely was a gigantic wake up call to who he was as a person - and that's what it took for him to get his mind right. Who knows.

Found this on Vontaze Burfict... I won't say how I practically begged the FO to take this guy the entire draft...

Vontaze Burfict was a stud linebacker during his college career at Arizona State, but the projected first-round pick came into the 2012 NFL Combine with some baggage after being pegged as a hothead. He did himself no favors at the Combine, running an uber-slow 5.09 40-Yard Dash and reportedly blaming his coaches for his up and down junior season in team interviews.

Burfict went completely undrafted after the Combine, a shock for a guy who was once considered one of the top three linebackers in the 2012 draft. Burfict signed on with the Cincinnati Bengals, where he would start 14 games and lead the team in tackles with 127. He’s also been incident-free during his time in the NFL. Sometimes you’ve got to dig a little deeper on a guy, and 31 teams whiffed on Burfict.

32 teams DID dig a little deeper on Burfict- including the Bengals, and decided he wasn't worth drafting. Bringing this guy in as a UFA was a zero risk proposition for the team that annually leads the league in arrests.

From ESPN, to refresh your memory.

"He was a time bomb in shoulder pads, a personal foul waiting to happen when faced with the slightest provocation. In 37 college games, Burfict was hit with unsportsmanlike conduct penalties 22 times.

Burfict's NFL combine should be a training tape on how not to find a job in pro football. He ran the 40-yard dash in a time that would embarrass a left guard (5.09 seconds). He was fat, unfocused and too willing to blame a disappointing junior season on his Arizona State coaches."

Hindsight's always 20\20 PG. For every Burfict there's a Chris Henry, or Jerome Simpson.

I think we have a real chance of trading out of the 6th spot if that is what they wanna do. While the QB class isn't great, there is a real chance that Smith is still there at 6, Glennon could really climb the draft board for some idiot team, and others might still view Barkley as a higher round draft pick. Teams always over draft for QB's (minus the seahawks) and we could find someone willing to trade up if they are scared another team in front of them might grab the guy they like.

trading down is looking like the smartest option right now, unless we totally flop in FA and don't address a dire need as the FO sees it. all the pundits are saying the top ten talent isn't much removed from the top 25.

Archived