THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Will Entertain Trade Offers

Kosar_For_President

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, please stop with the McCoy weak arm BS. You all are smart enough to know he wouldn't even be in the Arena League if he had a weak arm. If you don't like him- fine. But come up with a different reason. The weak arm stuff is just lame.

So everybody in the NFL has the exact same arm? That makes a boatload of sense.

The "weak arm stuff" is the exact reason why he will never be a starter in this league. His arm may not be weak by everyday standards but by NFL standards, it is. Every QB in the NFL can throw a 60 yard pass, but some have to have their feet planted and put a lot of air under it while others can simply flick their wrist while on the run.

If you can't see the difference between McCoy's deep throws and Weeden's deep throws, you are blind. Plain and simple.

There's a reason Brandon Weeden's longest TD pass is 15 yards longer than any one McCoy has ever thrown for the Cleveland Browns.

Some QB's do very well with weak arms, like Chud Pennington. McCoy was in a system that was tailor-made for his strengths, and he still lost the starting job. Think of it what you will, those are the facts.

Alex Smith's trade value, Brandon Weeden's ceiling, more buzz

By Ian Rapoport

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ian Rapoport is on the ground in Indianapolis, canvassing the hallways of Lucas Oil Stadium, hotel lobbies and everywhere else seeking the latest rumors and intel around the NFL. Here are five things folks are buzzing about right now:

1) What is Alex Smith's trade value? San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said it's "unlikely" his team cuts Smith. The Niners will try to trade him, but Harbaugh said the other option is that the quarterback will remain on the team for 2013. Don't bet on it. One NFL general manager estimated San Francisco could receive a second-round pick for Smith, provided the trade partner believes Smith could be the franchise's quarterback for any length of time. That's pricey, but if a team thinks Smith is the answer for more than one year, that's worth it. Clubs realize there aren't a ton of answers at quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft. While you'd have to trade for Smith and then draft someone, too, teams know the former 49ers starter won't tear apart the locker room if he ends up getting beat out.

3) Brandon Weeden's in the crosshairs. I know Rob Chudzinski didn't rule out a trade of anyone, including Weeden. But the way I hear it, the Cleveland Browns' new coach is more than curious to find out what he has in the 2012 first-rounder. While Chud has checked out Weeden's tape from last year, that's not really the answer to any question. The new Cleveland regime knows what it has in offensive coordinator Norv Turner. The Browns want to judge Weeden's performance under Turner, as opposed to last year's showing -- and they have confidence in that relationship working. The belief is that the way Turner coaches, as demanding as he is, will allow Cleveland brass to discover Weeden's ceiling faster. The Browns might bring in a quarterback to compete with Weeden, but given the second-year signal-caller's natural competitiveness, they don't feel this is absolutely necessary to get Weeden to perform.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144193/article/alex-smiths-trade-value-brandon-weedens-ceiling-more-buzz

Sounds pretty positive to me.

Here is the long and short of it IMO. I am a fan of the Cleveland Browns. I liked DA when he was hot. I liked McCoy's heart and thought he would be a servicable QB in the NFL. I like BW3 and his ability to make throws that no other QB since '99 has been able to make.

But...if they decide to bring in a guy who they think fits THEIR system than i'm going to be behind THAT guy. This whining and moaning about fair shakes in life and all is bullshit. I certainly don't get a fair shake at MY job and I barely make 35k a year. There are starters and there are backups and then there are roleplayers. Not everyone can be THE GUY...

I'm excited about the coming years because it seems we have an owner that gets it. Because of that all my clothing purchases say Cleveland Browns on it. My only jersey that I purchased says Quinn on it, so that should say something. Yes i'm an idiot I know...lol

Maybe because of my age I won't let something as silly as who starts for the Browns frustrate me or cause me to have a bad day...just saying...

Guys, please stop with the McCoy weak arm BS. You all are smart enough to know he wouldn't even be in the Arena League if he had a weak arm. If you don't like him- fine. But come up with a different reason. The weak arm stuff is just lame.

Compared to other starting NFL QB's I think he has a weak arm.

As I'm watching the game I'm not wishing Weeden fails when he's the starting QB. I'm wishing him all the success he can handle. I hope every throw he makes is on time and in the right place, hoping whoever catches the ball catches the ball. I just want to win just like the rest of you guys. I don't mean to sound repetitive or annoying but I just feel that a QB other than Weeden gives us that chance.

Yes, Weeden has a stronger arm and is taller. BUT, that is not all there is to being a QB.

Everybody is going to think their own way. Every has their own opinion. I like Colt better. I still believe in Cribbs too.

If I were the coach there would be so many things that I would have to try. I would have to run a few tests and just see how everything works together. That's by biggest thing. How could you not even try Colt out at QB? I understand all the knocks on him but he has some promise.

I'm not worried about over spending on talent. Talent pays for itself. If I could see another QB doing better I'd campaign for him to be the starter. However, judging from the time Colt's been here, and with regime changes and complete offense style changes and changes to the personnel and dealing with a lockout... Give the kid another chance. I'm not a longhorn fan and I never even watched him in college, only judging from the time he's been a Brown- I'm not giving up on him yet.

Weeds is just so old in comparison. He played baseball, big deal, different sport. I don't think Weeden is a better QB than McCoy is. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I'd like to see him earn the job over an incumbent rather than him having the position GIVEN to him. That was a move purely based off knee-jerk reactions and pressure from an ownership change.

If he wins the position legitly then Weeden is my guy, until then he should just sitdown and let the bigboys play the game and learn from a pro. B)

There's a reason Brandon Weeden's longest TD pass is 15 yards longer than any one McCoy has ever thrown for the Cleveland Browns

Sure Weeden throws the long ball with more ease, but looking back at the TD's your on about the 71yd TD by Gordon was thrown 40yds by Weeden, where as McCoys longest throw was 56yd pass which he threw 50yds through the air. So you cant use that scenario as your argument. Also the stats below are quite revealing also, showing McCoy as being the better at throwing longer passes.

QBSplits_zps869c5be6.jpg

I honestly dont care who is our QB so long as they are winning, I would like us to go get Alex Smith, or just let Weeden and McCoy have proper battle this year, and with what looks like better crop of QB's in next years Draft look to there if we dont have the answer with the QB's we have already.

PG, your fandom is admirable, your objectivity is poor. Look, Heckert and Holmgren have forgotten more about football than you and I will ever know. Do you believe they just said, "gee that McCoy kid sucks, let's draft another quarterback?" They broke down tape of every play McCoy ran first, knew what the call was, knew where the wrs were supposed to be. They graded Colt out- and they found him lacking. He's a smart kid- with physical limitations for the qb job. Let it go.

i got what you were saying, but with that being said, sounds like holmgren and heckert forgot ALOT about football if they (from what you're saying) drafted mccoy, whiffed sooo badly, that they had to draft another qb the next year.

i think heckert did a good job here, BUT there is no way anyone can say holmgren lived up to his own 'legend' as pres of the browns.

Sure Weeden throws the long ball with more ease, but looking back at the TD's your on about the 71yd TD by Gordon was thrown 40yds by Weeden, where as McCoys longest throw was 56yd pass which he threw 50yds through the air. So you cant use that scenario as your argument. Also the stats below are quite revealing also, showing McCoy as being the better at throwing longer passes.

QBSplits_zps869c5be6.jpg

I honestly dont care who is our QB so long as they are winning, I would like us to go get Alex Smith, or just let Weeden and McCoy have proper battle this year, and with what looks like better crop of QB's in next years Draft look to there if we dont have the answer with the QB's we have already.

That's all well and good, but go back and watch Colt's long passes. Colt's 56 yard pass was impressive but he still heavily underthrew Massaquoi, who had his man beat and was streaking down the sideline but had to turn around and backpedal to make the catch. With Weeden's arm, that would have been an easy TD. Same goes for the TD pass to Ben Watson earlier in that game. Ben Watson had his man beat and was behind the safety, and Colt's pass took so long to get there that the corner had time to close the gap and almost make a play on the ball.

As for being "better", if you're going by completion percentage I guess you could say that. But to only take two shots down the field in an entire season is hardly the best sample size to judge from. The guy had to be wide open for McCoy to take a shot, and even then he still underthrew him. That doesn't make a guy better, in my book.

That's all well and good, but go back and watch Colt's long passes. Colt's 56 yard pass was impressive but he still heavily underthrew Massaquoi, who had his man beat and was streaking down the sideline but had to turn around and backpedal to make the catch. With Weeden's arm, that would have been an easy TD. Same goes for the TD pass to Ben Watson earlier in that game. Ben Watson had his man beat and was behind the safety, and Colt's pass took so long to get there that the corner had time to close the gap and almost make a play on the ball.

As for being "better", if you're going by completion percentage I guess you could say that. But to only take two shots down the field in an entire season is hardly the best sample size to judge from. The guy had to be wide open for McCoy to take a shot, and even then he still underthrew him. That doesn't make a guy better, in my book.

Your correct with what saying, McCoys throws do get underthrown when could be ending up TD's if it was Weeden throwing them, that is if Weeden actually gave the WR a play on the ball, which I think is what many have been dissapointed in Weeden with, he came in with reputation of having good accuracy, but hell some of his throws to open guys were awful. I am just trying to play Devils Advocate with you, as I dont exepect either to be starting QB for us after next year or even at begining of upcoming season.

I just can't see McCoy being the type of QB our HC is looking for and you could even argue he was a better fit for the lawsuit the last bunch wanted to play the game.

Weeden may never be the QB to take us forward but I still think he is more the type of player they are looking for and I'd personally give him one more season to sink or swim.

Surely given the players in this draft and our obvious need, we have to take a pass rusher with our first pick and try to bring in secondary help through FA. I'm no expert and don't get to see college football over here but reading what's been said, the talent this year is on defence rather than QB.

I just can't see McCoy being the type of QB our HC is looking for and you could even argue he was a better fit for the lawsuit the last bunch wanted to play the game.

Weeden may never be the QB to take us forward but I still think he is more the type of player they are looking for and I'd personally give him one more season to sink or swim.

Surely given the players in this draft and our obvious need, we have to take a pass rusher with our first pick and try to bring in secondary help through FA. I'm no expert and don't get to see college football over here but reading what's been said, the talent this year is on defence rather than QB.

I completely agree. I'd give Weeden one more year with a HC and OC willing to work with the talents that he has rather than trying to force him into the coachs system. The draft isn't great for QB's this year anyways, build the defense this year. If Weeden sucks next year, move on for the 2014 season.

I completely agree. I'd give Weeden one more year with a HC and OC willing to work with the talents that he has rather than trying to force him into the coachs system. The draft isn't great for QB's this year anyways, build the defense this year. If Weeden sucks next year, move on for the 2014 season.

everyone says colt will be traded or cut. yet he's been on the roster for how long now?

everyone is saying give weeden one more year (including myself, only because i don't think we should draft OR bring in another IMO). who's to say weeden gets the starting job?

wouldn't everyone be surprised if mccoy beats out weeden for the starting spot given a fair QB competition?

i'm not saying it's going to happen, but it'd sure as hell stir things up on this board.

everyone says colt will be traded or cut. yet he's been on the roster for how long now?

everyone is saying give weeden one more year (including myself, only because i don't think we should draft OR bring in another IMO). who's to say weeden gets the starting job?

wouldn't everyone be surprised if mccoy beats out weeden for the starting spot given a fair QB competition?

i'm not saying it's going to happen, but it'd sure as hell stir things up on this board.

I think Colts best chance to win the starting job was in last years offense with Shurmur and the WCO he was trying to run. He should've been given the opportunity to win the job in camp last year but didn't. From everything we've heard about Chud and what I know from watching Norv run the Chargers offense, Colt isn't the kind of QB that they want to run the offense that they would prefer to run. I guess it's possible that Colt outplays him in camp (assuming he's still here) and they adjust the offense to fit more of Colt's style but I don't see that happening.

My bet is he's the Green Bay backup QB when training camps open.

Everything that's been said about our new offensive scheme seems to point to a more vertical style with a big armed QB who can throw it deep.

I'm not saying Weeden can pull it off but that's the sort of player he is designed to be. MCCoy may be able to manage an offence by dinking and dunking it down the field but it's not the way we are looking to play and personally I'm pleased about that.

Your correct with what saying, McCoys throws do get underthrown when could be ending up TD's if it was Weeden throwing them, that is if Weeden actually gave the WR a play on the ball, which I think is what many have been dissapointed in Weeden with, he came in with reputation of having good accuracy, but hell some of his throws to open guys were awful. I am just trying to play Devils Advocate with you, as I dont exepect either to be starting QB for us after next year or even at begining of upcoming season.

It's really about deciding whether you want a guy who underthrows his receivers or overthrows them. Either way, it still sucks and its a nutpunch to see a guy wide open and have the QB not able to deliver it accurately to him.

Between the two on the team, I'd say its 75-25 Weeden's job to lose. But I wouldn't be surprised to see us address QB with our third rounder, depending on who's on the board. If Tyler Bray is still available, and after the day he ha today, I could see him coming to Cleveland. I'd rather see us try for Manuel, personally.

I don't think there's a FA out there that is marketdly better than Weeden. Smith has composed decent stats but is not the type of player I envision running Chud's offense

It's really about deciding whether you want a guy who underthrows his receivers or overthrows them. Either way, it still sucks and its a nutpunch to see a guy wide open and have the QB not able to deliver it accurately to him.

Between the two on the team, I'd say its 75-25 Weeden's job to lose. But I wouldn't be surprised to see us address QB with our third rounder, depending on who's on the board. If Tyler Bray is still available, and after the day he ha today, I could see him coming to Cleveland. I'd rather see us try for Manuel, personally.

I don't think there's a FA out there that is marketdly better than Weeden. Smith has composed decent stats but is not the type of player I envision running Chud's offense

Yeah if we can fill at least one hole via FA I could go for a QB in the third depending on who is there. Wouldn't mind seeing Landry Jones fall that far, but he wont

Yeah if we can fill at least one hole via FA I could go for a QB in the third depending on who is there. Wouldn't mind seeing Landry Jones fall that far, but he wont

With all the needs on just the defensive side of the ball taking a qb anywhere before the last pick would be a waste, and even then it is. The qb class this year sucks, stock up on what the draft is loaded with, defensive talent.

If Chud liked Weeden he would have said so by now. Weeds is probably gonzo. Even if he stays he'd just be backing up DA anyway.

I am sure by now you have been notified but...indeed, over the weekend Chud told Banner and Lombardi that he wants to keep Weeden and see how he can do with him.

Banner still says they will bring in competition for Weeden, but who that may be, who knows.

Will it burst your bubble if Chud passes on DA?

I am sure by now you have been notified but...indeed, over the weekend Chud told Banner and Lombardi that he wants to keep Weeden and see how he can do with him.

Banner still says they will bring in competition for Weeden, but who that may be, who knows.

Will it burst your bubble if Chud passes on DA?

Not surprised if they keep Weedz but it'll be interesting right off the bat to see who gets to wear the number 3.

And if they can't get DA they'll probably get Matt Moore, who I am also pretty familiar with.

With all the needs on just the defensive side of the ball taking a qb anywhere before the last pick would be a waste, and even then it is. The qb class this year sucks, stock up on what the draft is loaded with, defensive talent.

^this. 1000%.

Not surprised if they keep Weedz but it'll be interesting right off the bat to see who gets to wear the number 3.

And if they can't get DA they'll probably get Matt Moore, who I am also pretty familiar with.

Look at the size of the foot he is holding in his avatar. DA?

OK, McCoy definitely has a better arm than Ken Dorsey did. Happy?

I agree. It doesn't make sense to just give up on the guy after 1 season. Heck, Chuck Frye got more than that.

Archived