THE BROWNS BOARD

Who The Browns Must Reach For In Fa

tampadawgs

Here is the list of Browns FAs....is there anyone here we cannot afford to lose?

(and why won't this thing reproduce these lists properly?

I would like to keep Ogbonnaya, Alex Smith or Ben Watson, Cribbs, Phil Dawson, Christian Yount, Sheldon Brown, and Ray Ventrone.

As for FAs Anthony Spencer (OLB) from the Cowboys is on my radar. The Cowboys might switch from 4-3 to 3-4 and he might not be collateral damage from that. I would be thrilled if the team picked up a FS and/or WR in free agency. Watching the Ravens receiver corps, which is crazy good, has convinced me that we need another threat at WR- even though Little and Gordon are going to be very good.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible for Dawson to just resign solely on the fact he's been in Cleveland forever? And maybe he thinks were about to turn the corner as well.

I would like to keep Ogbonnaya, Alex Smith or Ben Watson, Cribbs, Phil Dawson, Christian Yount, Sheldon Brown, and Ray Ventrone.

Chris O is nice but Brandon Jackson looked pretty lethal against the steelers on a play where he made the linebackers look dumb. Haven't really seen much oh him.

Top FA you shoot for

WR. Dwayne Bowe Maybe

WR. Wes Welker Will re-sign with the Pats

WR. Greg Jennings

OLB/DL. Shawne Merrimen Washed up, no thanks

DL. Osi Umenyiora High side of 30 we're rebuilding

LB. Keith Brooking

LB. Rey Maualuga Over-rated, and I live in Bungle Land

CB. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Guys i wouldn't mind signing.

DL. Richard Seymour About ready to retire, no thanks

LB. Dwight Freeny High side of 30 we're rebuilding

WR. Ted Ginn Jr Why do guys keep bringing him up? We have Cribbs far more versatile, and better IMO

"Cough" Mike Wallace

Franchise Phil Dawson

I think that tag price would go into affect after the 2013 season. We looked it up in the NFLPA CBA and it's kind of hard to understand the language, because it is written by lawyers, for lawyers to read. But it is in article 10 if you would like to read it for yourself.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

I dont read lawyer lol. Ill trust Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/12/keep_phil_dawson_or_kick_yours.html

"Cough" Mike Wallace

Mike Wallace will undoubtedly come cheaper this year. Last year he was seeking Fitzgerald money ($11M) and the Steelers offered $8.5M to which he refused. Wallace held out most of camp and really wasn't much of an impact player for the Steelers last year (as he didn't know the playbook). Now with the Steelers not really expecting to resign him he will go to another team and Arizona is really the only team where he will "know" the offense.

Mike Wallace will probably garner a $5M to $6M contract and he'll probably only want to sign for 1-2 years (believing he can get Fitzgerald money later). However, that would be a stupid assumption, as his biggest asset is speed and he'll start losing that elite speed soon. Is he worth it? I'd still like to see him stay on as a Steeler and I think he will play better. All-in-all, he only knows about 6-9 go routes and looking at him without speed there's a ton of better recievers you can sign. There's no way he re-signs with Pittsburgh for $5-$6M with Brown making $8.5M. I don't see the Steelers offering him $8.5M again after last season.

I don't think he'll make a big impact in 2013 on a new team...if you get him, he'll probably help you out in 2014.

Mike Wallace will undoubtedly come cheaper this year. Last year he was seeking Fitzgerald money ($11M) and the Steelers offered $8.5M to which he refused. Wallace held out most of camp and really wasn't much of an impact player for the Steelers last year (as he didn't know the playbook). Now with the Steelers not really expecting to resign him he will go to another team and Arizona is really the only team where he will "know" the offense.

Mike Wallace will probably garner a $5M to $6M contract and he'll probably only want to sign for 1-2 years (believing he can get Fitzgerald money later). Is he worth it? I'd still like to see him stay on as a Steeler and I think he will play better. There's no way he resigns with Pittsburgh for $5-$6M with Brown making $8.5M. I don't see the Steelers offering him $8.5M again after last season.

I don't think he'll make a big impact in 2013 on a new team...if you get him, he'll probably help you out in 2014.

So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

Hoorta im not so sure on welker. I think he was kind of pissed about the franchise tag last offseason. I dont think N.E. even gave him a sniff of any contract negotiations. He had the drop in the superbowl and a couple on sunday against the ravens.

great slot receiver plays with alot of heart but the drops in the clutch may hurt him.

Fujita is horrible - he should not be in the league next year.

Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

Spencer/johnson/bennett are good.

OLB who are worth looking at are philip wheeler and paul kruger.

I hope Banner knows to avoid DRC.

So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

Would you rather play in Cleveland, or Arizona with your favorite Offensive coach? Granted our QB situation is about the same as Arizona, but we have bad weather and cold.

Would you rather play in Cleveland, or Arizona with your favorite Offensive coach? Granted our QB situation is about the same as Arizona, but we have bad weather and cold.

I don't think the weather really has much to do with it....but the offense very well may. And his relationship with Arians may be such that he would really want to go play for him. Then, of course, he is still a "professional" athlete, which means he may go play wherever he gets the most money.

No, I think Bruce Arians is the only coach that knows how to utilize him properly to be a playmaker in 2013. There is the QB thing in Arizona, but it's hard to tell how they will address that position until free-agency or more likely the draft is done. Further, I don't see Wallace going to Arizona, unless he takes less than $5M/yr. Arizona won't dish out much for Wallace, because they have a super-highly paid #1 reciever in Fitzgerald. Plus Fitzgerald doesn't drop as many passes through at him (or hadn't the last time I paid attention to the Cardinals).

No, I think Bruce Arians is the only coach that knows how to utilize him properly to be a playmaker in 2013. There is the QB thing in Arizona, but it's hard to tell how they will address that position until free-agency or more likely the draft is done. Further, I don't see Wallace going to Arizona, unless he takes less than $5M/yr. Arizona won't dish out much for Wallace, because they have a super-highly paid #1 reciever in Fitzgerald. Plus Fitzgerald doesn't drop as many passes through at him (or hadn't the last time I paid attention to the Cardinals).

Hmm, are you saying that Wallace would not want to play second fiddle to Fitzgerald? That he will insist on being a "#1" receiver, and also to be paid like it wherever he goes?

If that is the case, then absolutely, the dude will be limiting his options on where to go.

I don't even know if he joined the Browns that he would be considered the "#1 receiver" here.

Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

Kruger would be fantastic, but I don't see it happening; however, Ray Horton is a player's coach and it seems that he may be able to lure in guys b/c of his attitude. I know Haden and Ward have already commented about being excited to have him come in and coach the D.

Hmm, are you saying that Wallace would not want to play second fiddle to Fitzgerald? That he will insist on being a "#1" receiver, and also to be paid like it wherever he goes?

Wallace doesn't care about being second fiddle to Fitzgerald, he wants to be paid like Fitzgerald. He valued himself at $10-$12M/yr, and the Steelers offered $8.5M. When Wallace refused $8.5M/yr they gave it to Antonio Brown. The Steelers don't plan to lock him up with a franchise tag (last I heard) and I don't think they have $8.5M/yr to offer him in 2013 (even if they wanted to). I don't see Arizona offering Wallace big bucks and probably not even market bucks for Wallace cause they have so much invested in Fitzgerald already.

The fact of the matter is, Wallace held out of camp and he continued to drop key (catchable) balls in 2012. While there's typically more than one reason the Steelers lost games in 2012, there were a number of big plays that involved Wallace in those losses. Had Wallace played like the elite reciever he fancies himself, the Steelers would've won a few more games in 2012. They only needed to win one more game to make the play-offs in 2012. I don't think the 2012 Steelers (as a whole) had the desire/fire/drive in them to actually make it to the Super Bowl had they made the play-offs though. Then again, I really didn't see the Ravens going to the Super Bowl this year either (I felt it would either be the Broncos or Patriots...moreso the Patriots).

As I said earlier, based on his play in the latter half of 2011 and 2012, I just don't see any team offering Wallace more than $5-6M/yr right now. That's well below his offer last year. Wallace will probably sign late in the season, probably not until training camps begin because he will be offered less in 2013 due to his substandard play in 2012. As a result, Wallace will probably be seeking a 1-2 year contract to try to maximize his payday again in 2014/2015. His whole game is based on speed though, and sooner or later he won't have that quickness. By taking a shorter contract, he's gambling really heavily as he doesn't have great hands, or great route running ability.

What you are saying is that Wallace ain't all that and a bag of chips and that his overinflated balloon of an ego is about ready to be popped? That not only will he not get the 10-12 mill. he thinks he should get, but will not even get any offers that approach the 8.5 that he could have gotten had he signed the offer from the Steelers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWJBcDwz5No&ytsession=nDtv0k7_yaHZPl_vFPrvNm2iPIyk1MVwHKmq0XYIG0Z7h7OAseOD8xTm2Sp-tSH7fNjMlOhL9D_fNbvPvcsiZHuEzofrD1Qlb6v7sWnVlZTh_BXCwIN8uz3AH9EAQ7fLsgBGKlkBgBK9QuZFe-l-6cQq5Tn0h4SEkrnsYL3O6U1AbLpJqcX52-vwE9ZOV79MqukxPN6BUucoqxchPCelq8FlqQH8iZTmu3fw7vSeRGIkoa1ZjvolrtaiHMp7FgyuVYuxM_8zGmRB54Jq7EISvDgy1IAQLDIVVY_3e-dP3vg

I'd love to see the Browns address a few positions in FA and solidify both sides of the football. Mainly at skill positions and pick up lineman "offensive and defensive" in the draft. Good depth skill players and play makers for the new coaches to create the schemes/match-ups they find favorable. Here's my list of players I'd like too see in Cleveland.

Let me know what you guys think of these players. If you think they'd fit or who "you" would want to see in FA.

WR

Danny Amendola

Dwayne Bowe

Julian Edelman

Ted Ginn Jr.

Brian Hartline

Donald Jones "Random, I know. I had classes with him in college(YSU) great character and tough player. It would be great to see him in Ohio again"

TE

Maretllus Bennett

Tom Crabtree

Dustin Keller

Dennis Pitta

LB

Connor Barwin

Paul Kruger (probably not the most needed position, but I think he would have a HUGE impact in pass rush)

DB

Jairus Byrd

Derek Cox

Mike Jenkins

Glover Quin

Sam Shields

FB

Jerome Felton

I think if we could get 2-4 of these players along with a good 2013 draft class, then the Browns are in luck

I wouldn't doubt it if DRC was Banners number one target.

My link

B/R Article every nfl team free agency needs.

For those to lazy to go find the Browns.

The Cleveland Browns have to determine if they want to continue to roll with Brandon Weeden as their starting quarterback, or if they will bring in somebody to compete with him for the job. The Browns have turned over their front office, so that means there might be some major personnel changes as the new regime assesses what they have to work with.

Michael Lombardi will handle player personnel, and Rob Chudzinski will take over as the new head coach. With Norv Turner coming in as offensive coordinator, you would have to think that the Browns offense will improve in 2013.

Team Needs - Browns need to improve on both sides of the ball. The overall offense was No. 25 in the NFL, while the overall defense was No. 23. The Browns averaged 18.9 points per game, which was good for No. 24 in the league.

The Browns need to try to sign Phil Dawson to a new contract. He continues to excel and can be the difference in winning two or three extra games per year based on his long-range field goals.

Salary cap space left to work with: Cleveland is $48.9 million under the salary cap. That is the second-best figure in the NFL and it means that the Browns should be active in bringing in some talented free agents this offseason. The Browns will be the envy of a number of GM's around the league.

With $48.9 million available, the Browns can literally target anybody they want to sign. New owner Jimmy Haslam wants to bring a winner to Cleveland, so he can show the fans that he means business in free agency.

Free Agents to Target: If for some strange reason the Baltimore Ravens aren't able to convince Joe Flacco to sign a long-term deal, the Browns could step in with a big offer for him. That would elevate the Browns offense and cripple the Ravens in one big move. The likelihood though is that Flacco returns to the Ravens.Da Faq? biggest FA move since LBJ Left Us

Other quarterbacks that could become free agents in 2013 would be Michael Vick and Matt Flynn. Alex Smith is another possibility. Any of the three could take over as the starter.

The Browns could now afford to sprinkle in some talented veteran players to help guide the youngsters, which is the formula the Indianapolis Colts used so well this year. Targets could include WR Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings or Wes Welker. Dustin Keller could be an attractive tight end target.

I'd consider us out of the market for Smith and Flynn. If we add any QB, it's going to be one with a cannon strapped to his shoulder.

I'm excited to see the development of Jordan Cameron under Chud. Cameron was compared heavily to Gates in the draft, a big athletic TE who played basketball.

I also can see us targeting DRC. He fills a need and he's a Banner buddy.

I'd consider us out of the market for Smith and Flynn. If we add any QB, it's going to be one with a cannon strapped to his shoulder.

I'm excited to see the development of Jordan Cameron under Chud. Cameron was compared heavily to Gates in the draft, a big athletic TE who played basketball.

I also can see us targeting DRC. He fills a need and he's a Banner buddy.

TCPO been speaking a lot of good sense for a while now. not saying you haven't in the past......just trying to catch up.

cameron is a bad ass. under chud maybe he can make him a gronk.

like i said in a related post TE is the least of our probs.

My link

The Cleveland Browns have to determine if they want to continue to roll with Brandon Weeden as their starting quarterback, or if they will bring in somebody to compete with him for the job. The Browns have turned over their front office, so that means there might be some major personnel changes as the new regime assesses what they have to work with.

Michael Lombardi will handle player personnel, and Rob Chudzinski will take over as the new head coach. With Norv Turner coming in as offensive coordinator, you would have to think that the Browns offense will improve in 2013.

Team Needs - Browns need to improve on both sides of the ball. The overall offense was No. 25 in the NFL, while the overall defense was No. 23. The Browns averaged 18.9 points per game, which was good for No. 24 in the league.

The Browns need to try to sign Phil Dawson to a new contract. He continues to excel and can be the difference in winning two or three extra games per year based on his long-range field goals.

Salary cap space left to work with: Cleveland is $48.9 million under the salary cap. That is the second-best figure in the NFL and it means that the Browns should be active in bringing in some talented free agents this offseason. The Browns will be the envy of a number of GM's around the league.

With $48.9 million available, the Browns can literally target anybody they want to sign. New owner Jimmy Haslam wants to bring a winner to Cleveland, so he can show the fans that he means business in free agency.

Free Agents to Target: If for some strange reason the Baltimore Ravens aren't able to convince Joe Flacco to sign a long-term deal, the Browns could step in with a big offer for him. That would elevate the Browns offense and cripple the Ravens in one big move. The likelihood though is that Flacco returns to the Ravens.Da Faq? biggest FA move since LBJ Left Us

Other quarterbacks that could become free agents in 2013 would be Michael Vick and Matt Flynn. Alex Smith is another possibility. Any of the three could take over as the starter.

The Browns could now afford to sprinkle in some talented veteran players to help guide the youngsters, which is the formula the Indianapolis Colts used so well this year. Targets could include WR Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings or Wes Welker. Dustin Keller could be an attractive tight end target.

Um ditto on Dawson- the 49ers are marching into the SB with a kicker they can't trust. If you're going to revamp the D into a 3-4 you had better find some stud OLBs. And I don't get it- Jackson excels in the 4-3, you you want him to play sam or mik in a 3-4? Only redeeming factor of the 3-4 is we already have 2 stud guys in Taylor and Rubin who are prototypical NTs.

TCPO been speaking a lot of good sense for a while now. not saying you haven't in the past......just trying to catch up.

cameron is a bad ass. under chud maybe he can make him a gronk.

like i said in a related post TE is the least of our probs.

[/quote

I tend to alternate between legitimate football talk and racist sexist slightly homophobic insults.

My link

Flacco isnt going anywhere, if they cant sign him theyll franchise him. Flynn sucks and I think Vick will stay in Philly with Chip (Wouldnt want him if he did leave). Bowe is the same type of reciever as Little and Gordon build wise so I wouldnt want to give him big money, Id love Jennings but he says he wants warm weather or a dome, and Welker will want big money and hes getting old and may be purely a Brady/Belichek product (Id stay away). I think Id rather resign Watson than grab Keller. I think we should pursue Felton at FB and a G for offense. And on D is where the majority of our free cap space will go. Between 3 new OLB's maybe 2 CB's and 2 S's we have tons of spots to fill.

My link

Joe Flacco should be the Browns #1 priority this off-season (assuming the Ravens don't franchise him), for the reasons stated above. The Ravens (not the Steelers) are the biggest obstacle for any AFC North team to tackle, to win the division. The Ravens chances of retaining the division crown without Ray-Ray and Flacco would be highly improbable. The Browns chances of claiming the division title and/or a play-off spot would be greatly enhanced.

Flacco won't come cheap and he's no sure thing. He has put up some impressive numbers this past post-season and he's shown he can roll with the elite QBs of the league. Further, and most importantly, Flacco can get teams to the play-offs, which he has done every year he's been in the league (5 straight now).

Seriously, the Browns can't always be out looking for low-cost free agents. Sometimes you have to take a risk, and what better way for your new owner to win over fans than take Baltimore's coveted QB from them? Even if you fail to make the play-offs in 2013, if you land Flacco, the Browns will be the talk of ever NFL oriented TV show from now until at least 3-4 weeks into the season.

Seriously, the Browns can't always be out looking for low-cost free agents. Sometimes you have to take a risk,

STFU.

We have a new owner, a new CEO, a new GM and a new HC ... and you come over here saying we can't "always" do something. You are absolutely Retarded. You are the typical Steeler fan that thinks because you watch a franchise that is more successful that YOU therefore, know more about football than fans of of non-successful teams.

That's Retarded. You're Retarded. And I apologize to all those offended by "Retarded". But he's Retarded.

The absolute shame of sports is that the best, most knowledgeable fans are usually those of the "lovable losers" ... Browns, Cubs, Trail Blazers, Maple leafs, ... while the front-running loud-mouth Steeler, Yankee, Laker fans get treated to quality teams.

Joe Flacco is re-signing with Baltimore. If he doesn't, I will let you change my screen name to whatever you'd like it be.

Zombo

Joe Flacco should be the Browns #1 priority this off-season (assuming the Ravens don't franchise him), for the reasons stated above. The Ravens (not the Steelers) are the biggest obstacle for any AFC North team to tackle, to win the division. The Ravens chances of retaining the division crown without Ray-Ray and Flacco would be highly improbable. The Browns chances of claiming the division title and/or a play-off spot would be greatly enhanced.

Flacco won't come cheap and he's no sure thing. He has put up some impressive numbers this past post-season and he's shown he can roll with the elite QBs of the league. Further, and most importantly, Flacco can get teams to the play-offs, which he has done every year he's been in the league (5 straight now).

Seriously, the Browns can't always be out looking for low-cost free agents. Sometimes you have to take a risk, and what better way for your new owner to win over fans than take Baltimore's coveted QB from them? Even if you fail to make the play-offs in 2013, if you land Flacco, the Browns will be the talk of ever NFL oriented TV show from now until at least 3-4 weeks into the season.

Again, Shrike, you miss the fact that it is NOT a completely free market for Flacco.

Is there any reason on earth that the Rats would NOT put the franchise tag on Flacco? Because then he would have to be paid the average of the top 5 QBs in the league? I believe they think highly enough of them to pay him in that range....and if they don't want to pay him in that range....then they should let him go....and he should be willing to go.

The Top 5 salaries in the NFL for 2013 are scheduled to be as follows:

P. Manning 20 million

Vick 15.5 mill.

Palmer 13 mill.

Eli 13 mill

Rivers 12 mill

The average of those top 5 is 14.7 million dollars. What are Flacco's demands? 15 mill a year? More?

Tom Brady makes only 9.75 mill. Why in hell should any of these guys make more than Brady?

I expect that the Rats will probably negotiate a 15 mill a year deal, scaling up to 20 mill. over say 3 years.

If they don't....and they don't franchise Flacco...then sure, maybe the Browns should make that offer.

Archived