THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumor: Ryan Mallett To The Browns?

Kosar_For_President

Then you would have to agree with the proposition that if BB is willing to let him go, then that says that he ain't all that and the bag of chips you think he is, fair to say?

And that would be a big red flag.....like May Day in Moscow...to use Bill Parcells words.

Only way I would be for it is if Brady has 3 to 4 years or more left in him. Tom Brady is 35, he could easily play till he is 40, Mallet may not want to extend with the Pats if Brady is still here.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure why you hate the guy so much but it only makes you look bad. Not really sure what makes him a redneck either, was it where he played college ball? Hes originally from Texas, the same state 9 out of 32 NFL starters are from. Im really intrigued by him, and think he has a really good shot of being a good QB in this league.

I'm okay with looking bad; proposing the idea of trading away our first round pick for a guy who's done nothing in the NFL makes you look dumb.

That is probably the worst idea tossed around here in a while. If the guy was the future of the Pats, Belichick wouldn't trade him. So either he's the future and untradeable or he's not and, in that case, we'll overpay for him.

This infatuation with the backups of good QB's is stupid. Ask Kansas City or Seattle how it worked out for them.

I'm okay with looking bad; proposing the idea of trading away our first round pick for a guy who's done nothing in the NFL makes you look dumb.

That is probably the worst idea tossed around here in a while. If the guy was the future of the Pats, Belichick wouldn't trade him. So either he's the future and untradeable or he's not and, in that case, we'll overpay for him.

This infatuation with the backups of good QB's is stupid. Ask Kansas City or Seattle how it worked out for them.

I know its a long thread but if youve read any of it I said I was against trading our 1st this year. And you'd also know my reasoning on why BB would trade him. You can look at a QB and tell if hes got the makeup of a good QB, and Cassell and Flynn did not. I think Ill ask the Texans how it worked out for them though.

I know its a long thread but if youve read any of it I said I was against trading our 1st this year. And you'd also know my reasoning on why BB would trade him. You can look at a QB and tell if hes got the makeup of a good QB, and Cassell and Flynn did not. I think Ill ask the Texans how it worked out for them though.

You and the Texans can put your heads together and try and come up with some more examples of successful backups who get traded and become franchise QBs.

QBs dont get traded alot, but theres plenty of QB's who change teams and are successful. Bret Favre was traded.

Brett Favre was also a forced draft pick. Jerry Glanville didn't want him, and was trying to get rid of him from day one. Hardly the best example.

Brett Favre was also a forced draft pick. Jerry Glanville didn't want him, and was trying to get rid of him from day one. Hardly the best example.

So if Aaron Rodgers were traded he wouldnt be good anymore? I really dont know why being traded makes you horrible. Where are you going with this?

I don't why you clowns all think because he's sitting behind the great Tom Brady that makes Mallett an amazing QB. Damon Huard, Hoyer, and Matt Cassell all did the same thing and when they've gotten their shot to start long term guess what? They've amounted to nothing. Sitting behind a great QB can't overcome God given talent of only being mediocre.

So if Aaron Rodgers were traded he wouldnt be good anymore? I really dont know why being traded makes you horrible. Where are you going with this?

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick, and many believed he should have gone #1 overall instead of Smith at the time of the draft. How does not compare to Mallett at all?? Mallett was considered "possibly" a first rounder, based on his skill-set, but dropped b/c of off-field issues. Really no comparison.

I don't why you clowns all think because he's sitting behind the great Tom Brady that makes Mallett an amazing QB. Damon Huard, Hoyer, and Matt Cassell all did the same thing and when they've gotten their shot to start long term guess what? They've amounted to nothing. Sitting behind a great QB can't overcome God given talent of only being mediocre.

I wish everyone would read the thread before they shoot me down.

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick, and many believed he should have gone #1 overall instead of Smith at the time of the draft. How does not compare to Mallett at all?? Mallett was considered "possibly" a first rounder, based on his skill-set, but dropped b/c of off-field issues. Really no comparison.

Ok, I never compared Mallett to Rodgers. Couch was pretty much saying illogically that Mallett would never be good because backups who are traded are never good. Dont let past failures dictate moves. Evaluate the player and if you dont think hes good based on that, so be it. Mallett in my estimation was more talented than any other QB in the 2011 draft and only fell because of off the field concerns which are not concerns anymore.

Ok, I never compared Mallett to Rodgers. Couch was pretty much saying illogically that Mallett would never be good because backups who are traded are never good. Dont let past failures dictate moves. Evaluate the player and if you dont think hes good based on that, so be it. Mallett in my estimation was more talented than any other QB in the 2011 draft and only fell because of off the field concerns which are not concerns anymore.

That's your opinion. MY opinion is I want to see what Weeden can do this year with competent coaching before we start throwing draft picks at an unproven commodity. Mallet looked great in college- so did Ryan Leaf.

Just remember Bill Bellichick almost never comes out on the short end of a trade.

That's your opinion. MY opinion is I want to see what Weeden can do this year with competent coaching before we start throwing draft picks at an unproven commodity. Mallet looked great in college- so did Ryan Leaf.

Just remember Bill Bellichick almost never comes out on the short end of a trade.

Well, he did trade Bernie Kosar for Todd Philcox...sorta, didn't he? No matter how you count it a diminished skills Kosar was still far better than a perfect Todd Philcox. B)

How is it illogical? It's historically proven. For every Schaub, there's two Cassel's and a Huard. It's illogical to you because you have an unfounded boner for Mallet and can't fathom the idea of him being what he is, a third round mediocre QB with a documented case of drug related issues.

I'm glad your estimation was so high of him. Those that get paid to evaluate players, however, disagreed. He was a problem in college and that doesn't just disappear.

You say don't let past failures dictate moves, I say don't let your dick make a roster decision.

EDIT: Furthermore, my argument wasn't that he wouldn't be good simply because he's a backup. My argument was that trading a first round pick for a third round guy who hasn't played a snap is the most ridiculous idea proposed on this board.

I never thought Mallet looked that great in college...too much of a DA clone...big arm with no accuracy...size 17 feet that looked like scuba fins when he tried to avoid the rush...stared down reciecers giving db's a chance to recover...8 yard worm burners to routes across the middle or in the flat.

I think Bobby Petrino's offense is what made Ryan Mallet...how did Tyler Wilson look this year?

How is it illogical? It's historically proven. For every Schaub, there's two Cassel's and a Huard. It's illogical to you because you have an unfounded boner for Mallet and can't fathom the idea of him being what he is, a third round mediocre QB with a documented case of drug related issues.

I'm glad your estimation was so high of him. Those that get paid to evaluate players, however, disagreed. He was a problem in college and that doesn't just disappear.

You say don't let past failures dictate moves, I say don't let your dick make a roster decision.

EDIT: Furthermore, my argument wasn't that he wouldn't be good simply because he's a backup. My argument was that trading a first round pick for a third round guy who hasn't played a snap is the most ridiculous idea proposed on this board.

I also said I wouldnt trade a 1st rounder for him asswipe. Its illogical because your only argument is ^. Matt Cassell was undrafted, Huard was like a 6th round pick. Mallett got a higher grade from film than anyone from guys who get paid to do it. He fell because he was caught with cocaine. That does not in any way make him a druggy, or mean that he has a problem. He got caught doing something illegal and has not had a problem since. He has talent and my argument is Im not totally against adding him for the right price if our guys who get paid to make roster decisions feel its the right one. My fair price would be a 3rd or 4th this year, and a conditional pick next year based on his play. If they want to run with Weeden again next year, Im all for it, but the lack of any recognition of Weeden from our new front office makes me think theyre leaning towards adding someone. I think Mallett may be the best option available.

I never thought Mallet looked that great in college...too much of a DA clone...big arm with no accuracy...size 17 feet that looked like scuba fins when he tried to avoid the rush...stared down reciecers giving db's a chance to recover...8 yard worm burners to routes across the middle or in the flat.

I think Bobby Petrino's offense is what made Ryan Mallet...how did Tyler Wilson look this year?

I disagree about the accuracy thing, Ive watched him make some unbelievable throws. Yeah he may be a system guy also, but couldnt you say the same thing about alot of these guys coming out of college? Mallett looked pretty good his freshman year at Michigan under Carr also. If they made the trade Im assuming they think Mallett can grasp an NFL playbook, and I think we have a line that can accommodate his lack of mobility.

I also said I wouldnt trade a 1st rounder for him asswipe. Its illogical because your only argument is ^. Matt Cassell was undrafted, Huard was like a 6th round pick. Mallett got a higher grade from film than anyone from guys who get paid to do it. He fell because he was caught with cocaine. That does not in any way make him a druggy, or mean that he has a problem. He got caught doing something illegal and has not had a problem since. He has talent and my argument is Im not totally against adding him for the right price if our guys who get paid to make roster decisions feel its the right one. My fair price would be a 3rd or 4th this year, and a conditional pick next year based on his play. If they want to run with Weeden again next year, Im all for it, but the lack of any recognition of Weeden from our new front office makes me think theyre leaning towards adding someone. I think Mallett may be the best option available.

I personally am not worried about the "cocaine" thing. I just don't think he has evidenced any talent that would make anyone want to cream their jeans over him. Of course he hasn't had the opportunity, but so what. Plenty of evaluation goes into these guys and this guy is not evaluated to be a budding superstar.

I mean, I see nothing that says he is better than Brock Osweiler or others.

From what I have seen Weeden has the superior arm.

So, why downgrade?

If you wouldn't trade a first then this entire sentiment becomes useless. Belichick won't take anything less than a first, so why even discuss it?

Here's why I don't want him. These are quotes from an NFL personnel exec and an NFL network analyst.

"Character and drug use issues are starting to rear their ugly head. Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept him from coming out for the 2010 draft. A lot of people are comparing Mallett to Ryan Leaf. I think Ryan was a better football player, with a cannon for an arm but the immaturity was just too much to overcome. A hair facial test might tell all 32 teams who this person really is."

"I’ve talked to general managers, I’ve talked to offensive coordinators. I’ve talked to quarterback coaches who have serious concern because of time they’ve spent with Ryan Mallett. What they have discovered is documented drug use, some real character issues, and wondering if they want (Mallett) to be the face of their franchise. These are people who make it their business to know Ryan Mallett inside and out.”

I'm not saying he's a bad kid, he may be fantastic. But he has a reputation as a partier, and not just with the cocaine rumor. He was picked up for public intoxication while at Arkansas and admitted to smoking marijuana. Couple that with the fact that he's never played a meaningful snap in the NFL and that he's also a relative statue in the pocket, and I say we offer nothing more than a fourth round pick for him. And Belichick won't give him up for anything other than a first, so the point is moot.

I never thought Mallet looked that great in college...too much of a DA clone...big arm with no accuracy...size 17 feet that looked like scuba fins when he tried to avoid the rush...stared down receivers giving db's a chance to recover...8 yard worm burners to routes across the middle or in the flat.

Didn't see that much of Mallett in college, but what I did see, I give you an ^+1. :)

I disagree about the accuracy thing, Ive watched him make some unbelievable throws. Yeah he may be a system guy also, but couldnt you say the same thing about alot of these guys coming out of college? Mallett looked pretty good his freshman year at Michigan under Carr also. If they made the trade Im assuming they think Mallett can grasp an NFL playbook, and I think we have a line that can accommodate his lack of mobility.

Hehehe. I saw DA make some amazing throws too- the laser shot through triple coverage in the End Zone for a TD immediately comes to mind. Really, I've never seen anyone (short of PJ 's boner for Richardson) have such a crush on a player. At least Richardson was highly touted. So if you want a DA clone, why not bring back the original item that will cost the Browns NADA?

Plus, at least in the short term, it certainly looks like the days of the lead-foot quarterback are going the way of the dinosaur, Manning and Brady being the last of the dying breed. Luck, Griffin, Wilson, and Kaepernick all have wheels to a greater or lesser degree.

I agree. I liked Mallett ok when he was at Arkansas and would have been happy had we drafted him. I also think he might be a pretty good NFL QB, but I also think Weeden is in the same boat. I'd just as soon stick with Weeden for now.

There will be a lot of Ryan Malletts to draft if needed.

Didn't see that much of Mallett in college, but what I did see, I give you an ^+1. :)

Hehehe. I saw DA make some amazing throws too- the laser shot through triple coverage in the End Zone for a TD immediately comes to mind. Really, I've never seen anyone (short of PJ 's boner for Richardson) have such a crush on a player. At least Richardson was highly touted. So if you want a DA clone, why not bring back the original item that will cost the Browns NADA?

Plus, at least in the short term, it certainly looks like the days of the lead-foot quarterback are going the way of the dinosaur, Manning and Brady being the last of the dying breed. Luck, Griffin, Wilson, and Kaepernick all have wheels to a greater or lesser degree.

Haha, whats funny is I dont really love him as a player at all. Im just trying to defend him and the idea of getting him.

If you wouldn't trade a first then this entire sentiment becomes useless. Belichick won't take anything less than a first, so why even discuss it?

Here's why I don't want him. These are quotes from an NFL personnel exec and an NFL network analyst.

"Character and drug use issues are starting to rear their ugly head. Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept him from coming out for the 2010 draft. A lot of people are comparing Mallett to Ryan Leaf. I think Ryan was a better football player, with a cannon for an arm but the immaturity was just too much to overcome. A hair facial test might tell all 32 teams who this person really is."

"I’ve talked to general managers, I’ve talked to offensive coordinators. I’ve talked to quarterback coaches who have serious concern because of time they’ve spent with Ryan Mallett. What they have discovered is documented drug use, some real character issues, and wondering if they want (Mallett) to be the face of their franchise. These are people who make it their business to know Ryan Mallett inside and out.”

I'm not saying he's a bad kid, he may be fantastic. But he has a reputation as a partier, and not just with the cocaine rumor. He was picked up for public intoxication while at Arkansas and admitted to smoking marijuana. Couple that with the fact that he's never played a meaningful snap in the NFL and that he's also a relative statue in the pocket, and I say we offer nothing more than a fourth round pick for him. And Belichick won't give him up for anything other than a first, so the point is moot.

All those drug allegations were for when he was in college. He would now be entering his third year as a pro. If he continued to have drug usage issues I assume they would have manifested them again in the last two years. But we have heard nothing. Again, my only issue is his on field capabilities. Unless some demonstrative proof can be had that he is a definite upgrade, I agree, don't waste the resources on him. Get a FA or pick a comparable QB late in this draft....or leave well enough alone.

We have a first rounder and a third rounder sitting on our roster now. Let's get some value out of those picks...if we can....and I think we can get just as much value out of them as we could out of Mallet.

All those drug allegations were for when he was in college. He would now be entering his third year as a pro. If he continued to have drug usage issues I assume they would have manifested them again in the last two years. But we have heard nothing. Again, my only issue is his on field capabilities. Unless some demonstrative proof can be had that he is a definite upgrade, I agree, don't waste the resources on him. Get a FA or pick a comparable QB late in this draft....or leave well enough alone.

We have a first rounder and a third rounder sitting on our roster now. Let's get some value out of those picks...if we can....and I think we can get just as much value out of them as we could out of Mallet.

When's the last time you heard anything about any players on the Patriots? Belichick keeps a tight lid on that stuff, it's only after a player gets traded or released from them that we hear something. I'm not saying he hasn't he cleaned up his act, but it's not hard to imagine that anything he may have done is hushed up before it goes public.

When's the last time you heard anything about any players on the Patriots? Belichick keeps a tight lid on that stuff, it's only after a player gets traded or released from them that we hear something. I'm not saying he hasn't he cleaned up his act, but it's not hard to imagine that anything he may have done is hushed up before it goes public.

I don't think BB has the ability to keep anything like that out of the public eye than any other coach or organization does.

I don't think BB has the ability to keep anything like that out of the public eye than any other coach or organization does.

You're crazy, then. Belichick practically runs that area. Perks of winning a handful of Super Bowls. He may not have total control, but he can keep more out of the public eye than you may realize.

Archived