THE BROWNS BOARD

Chip's Offense

FISH DUCK

Kelly's speed offense may be based on the speed of players but it is also based on the quickness with which plays are called using less time in the huddle and one-word play calls rather than the complex codes of the WCO. This is the aspect of Kelly's style that Belichick has been adapting for his own use (as described in the Boston Globe article recently).

hey, i'm all for the hurry-up and no huddle sequences in the nfl. but you better have a deep roster at RB and WR cuz who's running down the field every play full speed?

sure it makes the defense tired but unless the offensive skill guys are smoking meth on the sidelines they're getting tired too. depth at either of those positions the browns don't have.

Did you read anything I just said? His success is based on his ability to play to his team's strengths. He doesn't have a one size fits all gameplan. The guy's a tailor, and if he comes to Cleveland, I'd expect our offense to switch to a shotgun style spread, a la Oklahoma State.

Exactly. In one vid i saw he said if he had the players to play the power I, that's what he'd do.

If he comes here, I also expect a uptempo, shotgun based O. You don't have to run a spread option to run a spread O.

I really expect Weeden to improve if Kelly is his coach. Or any coach who plays to his strength, and being a under center QB isn't a strength.

I don't see a coach that is stuck to one style in Kelly, at least not yet. What I have seen is a guy that is able to evolve and adapt to win. He might actually be the Anti-Shurmur who seemed to be so stuck in forcing the WCO down the throats of a very young team, who, come out of college with no familiarity with an NFL offense. If Kelly says yes to this team, this could be very interesting off season. I for one will sit back and watch and see what happens. Let's not crucify this guy before he has even drafted one player or called one play.

He has stated this point over and over again, people will only here what they want to here.

If everyone hates the Chip Kelly pick then i say we hire him, fans are never right.

Cleveland should consider itself lucky if Kelly will even consider coming to c-town, you can't pretend that we havn't killed about 20 coaches and 100 qb's since 1999.

@usf - Look it up if you don't believe me.

It wasn't that I didnt believe you, I couldn't believe Weeden is that stupid to say something like that.

New owner, new coaches, and to come out and say you already can't do something. That's a dumb ass with a loser mentality. Usually it takes players a season or two to adjust to the browns loser mentality. Weeden is just a quick learner.

As noted by Tony Grossi on Sulia.com, Weeden was up front about the potential for Kelly to come to Cleveland, saying "I can't run the zone read." The Browns invested a first round pick in Weeden in the 2012 NFL Draft, but he wasn't their top selection and moving on from him so soon wouldn't be unheard of.

Well, if Kelly wanted the Browns to run what is essentially a half option offense where the QB is essentially a second Running back, then no, Weeden, more of a pocket passer should not be expected to try to emulate Braxton Miller.

Maybe ML Woody would be right....if we to that type of offense, then we would need a Darnell Robinson...or maybe the Browns should trade for Terrelle Pryor. After all Pryor whipped Chip Kelly at his own game.

I know a guy we can draft with speed...

Chip + QB with most rushing yards in NCAA history :)

Yea. If they want to run a college offense then they might as well get a college QB to run it. The Browns would lose nearly every game because they would be like a college team going up against professionals....but at least they would be trying.

Nah, they would have to adapt to it like the Redskins did. But then you would need an RGIII style QB to run it...and where do you get that guy?

Vick? too over the hill.

Robinson? Not good enough QB skills

Geno Smith? Hell, he will probably be gone by the 6th pick

Thad Lewis? Seems to me based on the game the other day that this guy has no interest in running with the ball.

Terrelle Pryor? Maybe the Raiders should hire Kelly

Colin Klein? Perhaps as good a thought as any of the above (can a "white boy" do it)

How about this idea: Bring back Steve Young.

Did you read anything I just said? His success is based on his ability to play to his team's strengths. He doesn't have a one size fits all gameplan. The guy's a tailor, and if he comes to Cleveland, I'd expect our offense to switch to a shotgun style spread, a la Oklahoma State.

That would make much more sense. (but then, if the reason to get this guy is for the kind of offense he runs...then why take him if he is not going to run that offense?)

1357304628[/url]' post='320797']

I don't see a coach that is stuck to one style in Kelly, at least not yet. What I have seen is a guy that is able to evolve and adapt to win. He might actually be the Anti-Shurmur who seemed to be so stuck in forcing the WCO down the throats of a very young team, who, come out of college with no familiarity with an NFL offense. If Kelly says yes to this team, this could be very interesting off season. I for one will sit back and watch and see what happens. Let's not crucify this guy before he has even drafted one player or called one play.

Totally agree! He can coach. I don't care if he goes to Mickey D's every night. If the guy can get the respect of his players I'm all for him.

hey, i'm all for the hurry-up and no huddle sequences in the nfl. but you better have a deep roster at RB and WR cuz who's running down the field every play full speed?

sure it makes the defense tired but unless the offensive skill guys are smoking meth on the sidelines they're getting tired too. depth at either of those positions the browns don't have.

Believe it or not, I think the Browns do have a pretty deep roster at RB and WR

TR

Hardesty

Ogbanaya

Jackson

...and sure, perhaps they bring in another scatback type.

Gordon

Little

Benjamin

Norwood

Cooper

Rod Windsor

....and a new pickup speed guy

He has stated this point over and over again, people will only here what they want to here.

If everyone hates the Chip Kelly pick then i say we hire him, fans are never right.

Cleveland should consider itself lucky if Kelly will even consider coming to c-town, you can't pretend that we havn't killed about 20 coaches and 100 qb's since 1999.

The fans have done nothing to "kill" any coach or QB. It may have been the management of the team, or it may have been themselves, but it wasn't the fan.

Name any one of the coaches/QBs that the "fans and media drove out of Cleveland" that succeed one little bit elsewhere.

Palmer was never considered for another HC job.

Butch Davis is even being run out of the college jobs he held

RAC got the KC job...out of pity and was fired after one year...doing worse than he did with the Browns

Mangini is doing a TV gig. (probably the most likely to get another shot)

And how have the careers of Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Garcia, Dilfer, Charlie Frye, DA, Quinn since they left here?

A few spot starts at best for any of them after their time here.

None of them turned into Brett Favre...or even Brad Johnson.

Don't understand the mindset that a successful college coach, leading rank amateur teenagers, can

make the transistion to the NFL and quickly mold his players (most who make twice what the coach makes)

into playoff contenders. Besides what is happening in SF and SEA ,the vast majority of college wunderkinds

get a quick dose of reality when they step up to the big leagues. Hell, Petrino in the ATL didn't even finish

season one, leaving post-it-notes on players lockers, as he snaked his way to Razorbackland where he

had his skank whore on the AD payroll before it all came tumbling down.

How bout these bonehead hires:

Steve Spurrier

Mike Riley (Petrinos butt body in Utah or wherever they sodomized together)

Lou Holtz

Nick Saban

Butch Davis

Dennis Erickson

Frank Kush

Bud Wilkinson

Dick Macpherson

Rich Brooks (another Oregon coach mislead to think he was NFL ready)

Yea,I know, Barry Switzer had success in Dallas, but please Has....think this through before you pull

the trigger. Kelley is merely the flavor-of-the-week and bringing him to the Browns will do nothing but

add his name to the long list of coaches who thought they could.

besides mangini, davis was the best coach since '99.

hey who knows chip kelly could be the best thing since sliced bread. i'm certainly not the owner of the browns or a great talent evaluator.

i just think a coach that runs a more conventional pro style NFL-like offense defense will step into being a NFL HC easier than one whose scheme is based on speed and gimmick.

Naming the "best" Browns coaches since 1999 is akin to choosing the best boy bands, your favorite traffic jams, or the tops of all root canals.

Zombo

That would make much more sense. (but then, if the reason to get this guy is for the kind of offense he runs...then why take him if he is not going to run that offense?)

But I don't think that is the reason we'd get him. We'd take him because of his ability to adapt to his talent.

Naming the "best" Browns coaches since 1999 is akin to choosing the best boy bands, your favorite traffic jams, or the tops of all root canals.

Zombo

Backstreet Boys, going to Hilton Head in 2005 and October 2, 2011. Give me something hard to answer.

hey who knows chip kelly could be the best thing since sliced bread. i'm certainly not the owner of the browns or a great talent evaluator.

i just think a coach that runs a more conventional pro style NFL-like offense defense will step into being a NFL HC easier than one whose scheme is based on speed and gimmick.

But on the other side of the coin, isn't a conventional offense going to meet the same type of conventional defense and vice versa. What Kelly is doing is disrupting the conventional. D's are being spread out all over the field. They are not being given a lot of time to adapt to the fast paced offense.

What did people think when they saw someone take a basketball and shoot it from over their head instead of chucking it from between their legs like you would a 3 year old? As someone stated earlier, the forward pass wasn't all that familiar at one time.

The only thing constant is change. A coach that can be an innovator and do something different whether it is 1 and 10 or 3rd and 1 has some value in my eye.

Did anyone catch the two point conversion right after that run back TD. What kind of formation is that? I didn't sit there like "What the hell was that? That's not game of football that my father and his father before me used to know... blah blah blah..." I was intrigued to see someone do something outside the norm. Now granted, the first time that Kelly does that in the NFL and loses by one point, he will be lead to the slaughter, but I am still intrigued by a guy who is will to go against the grain.

Zombo

funniest shit ever! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But on the other side of the coin, isn't a conventional offense going to meet the same type of conventional defense and vice versa. What Kelly is doing is disrupting the conventional. D's are being spread out all over the field. They are not being given a lot of time to adapt to the fast paced offense.

What did people think when they saw someone take a basketball and shoot it from over their head instead of chucking it from between their legs like you would a 3 year old? As someone stated earlier, the forward pass wasn't all that familiar at one time.

The only thing constant is change. A coach that can be an innovator and do something different whether it is 1 and 10 or 3rd and 1 has some value in my eye.

Did anyone catch the two point conversion right after that run back TD. What kind of formation is that? I didn't sit there like "What the hell was that? That's not game of football that my father and his father before me used to know... blah blah blah..." I was intrigued to see someone do something outside the norm. Now granted, the first time that Kelly does that in the NFL and loses by one point, he will be lead to the slaughter, but I am still intrigued by a guy who is will to go against the grain.

i like against the grain too. but you have to put into context what he's done and apply it to where and who he's done it against. do you think every player on every defense he's faced will make the NFL? of course not. only the fastest strongest and best make it to the next level. he won't be facing DCs from Kstate or wash state etc. etc. he'll be facing the likes of a lovie smith or a jim haslett who will break that offense down in the week they have to prepare. sure the offense washington has played this year is akin to a college option game but if not for the remarkable talent of RG3 it owuldn't be half as successful. we've all seen the run and shoot and the WildDawg go the way of the do do bird. now everyone is looking for the next big flash in the pan.

who ever they hire (and i really, truly don't care because i believe in haslam) i just hope they can finally bring a winner to cleveland.

really? then he'd have to grow a brain between now and then.

listen i don't watch oregon, i think their offense is gimmicky, i think west coast teams are over-rated and when did oregon ever have a bruising back under chip kelly? aren't they scat backs that run a 3.0 40? lol.

Blount went to Oregon...he's not a scatback

Blount went to Oregon...he's not a scatback

If Kelly does come here I think the one thing we don't want is for him to be stuck in the Shurmur/Murmur offensive style of "do it my way or the highway".

Kelly has said, and I take him at his word, that he could adapt his style of play to the talent on the field.

Does anyone think he could not have taken a Trent Richardson and done good things with him at Oregon?

And didn't Josh Gordon play in a similar style as Oregon in his (brief) time at Baylor?

Travis Benjamin seems like a fit for his style, doesn't he? Or any adapted style he chooses to run.

And Weeden certainly can run a spread offense. Maybe not a spread option where he has to run...but his wide open offense at OK State allowed him to get the better of both RGIII and Andrew Luck shootouts in college.

OK, so he lost to both of them this year as a pro....but how much was that him?

(Against Indy....the Murmur offense was at work. Against DC...the Browns defense didn't show up well)

If Kelly does come here I think the one thing we don't want is for him to be stuck in the Shurmur/Murmur offensive style of "do it my way or the highway".

Kelly has said, and I take him at his word, that he could adapt his style of play to the talent on the field.

Does anyone think he could not have taken a Trent Richardson and done good things with him at Oregon?

And didn't Josh Gordon play in a similar style as Oregon in his (brief) time at Baylor?

Travis Benjamin seems like a fit for his style, doesn't he? Or any adapted style he chooses to run.

And Weeden certainly can run a spread offense. Maybe not a spread option where he has to run...but his wide open offense at OK State allowed him to get the better of both RGIII and Andrew Luck shootouts in college.

OK, so he lost to both of them this year as a pro....but how much was that him?

(Against Indy....the Murmur offense was at work. Against DC...the Browns defense didn't show up well)

I love the idea of having a coach who is that innovative and imaginative in his offensive schemes. There's no question he's aggressive and he will probably get burned a few times but how many of us wouldn't rather have aggressive over the boring offense that Shurmur has been running?

First off, I'm not saying I want Chip Kelly but with a lot of people already shooting him down for his college offense I would like to say this. Here goes

Chip Kelly is a good "coach" and were looking for a "head coach". Not an offensive coordinator(everyone's assuming he is the offensive coordinator if he gets named head coach). So all these people saying that he isn't the guy for HEAD COACH, I say your wrong. He gets his teams into bowl games every year, he is an established (1)winner and (2)game planner. Him coming to Cleveland would bring those two crucial elements of a head coach. You guys are looking past the basics of a team and already evaluating his offense if he were in Cleveland. Look at the bottom line the guy has football knowledge pouring out of him and a developed winner.

That's all I want as a Browns fan, someone who see's talent, understands & evaluates talent, and gets the W at the end of the day.

who ever they hire (and i really, truly don't care because i believe in haslam) i just hope they can finally bring a winner to cleveland.[/b]

And that is the entire point right there, we want a winner. And I believe that Haslam is going to stress that point to whomever is offered and accepts the job, and that this is not a stepping stone position for anyone here in Cleveland anymore. This is not a place where coaches and players come to die. Based on Haslam's presses, he wants to win and win soon, while trying to make Cleveland a top destination for players and making Cleveland a more attractive team.

Archived