THE BROWNS BOARD

Candidates

The Gipper

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horton's Arizona defense was solid last year. They only gave up 58 points to Seattle.

I believe a cardboard cutout of Paul Brown would make a better coach than Ray Horton.

Yeah that 49ers D must be terrible too. The only gave up 42 points to them the next week.

@incarceratedbob just tweeted that Browns are 95% close to deal with Chip Kelly. Just working out final contract language with agent and waiting until after Fiesta Bowl to sign.

I saw that too. It is from some other forum site

Don't listen to that Bob guy. Literally all that chump does is say a bunch of crap that's already speculation and gloats about it when he's right even though he's wrong tons of times. He also said a few years ago that Nate Clements had agreed to a contract with the browns and Ray edwards was planning to sign.

However I hope he's right. I mean who knows if Chip's game will work in the NFL, but it's plain to see hurry up offenses dominate in the NFL. Also, I highly doubt the man is stupid enough to try and run the same offense in the pros. I said this before but I've read a few articles on Chip and long story short a lot of his offensive mentalities have literally changed the game of college football. Sorry for the long text here but here's a tidbit from another article about his effect already on the patriots:

Chip Kelly has the University of Oregon ranked No. 2 in the country. His spread offense is dazzling and seemingly unstoppable. This season, his Ducks have averaged 52.3 points per game (fourth in Division 1) and 541.6 total yards (seventh).

The Ducks have surpassed 40 points in 34 of 46 games with Kelly as head coach, including all five this season and eight straight games dating to last season.

“Chip Kelly is a mastermind,” said Ravens tight end Ed Dickson, who played at Oregon for Kelly.

The Patriots drew inspiration for their no-huddle from Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

Steve Dykes/Getty Images

The Patriots drew inspiration for their no-huddle from Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

Not bad for a guy from Manchester, N.H., who split his four-year career at UNH between quarterback and defensive back.

Kelly’s offenses, while coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Wildcats from 1999-2006, were just as prolific as when he became Mike Bellotti’s offensive coordinator with the Ducks in 2007 before ascending to head coach in ’09.

That’s because Kelly is obsessed with speed.

Forget time of possession. It’s all about total numbers of plays to Kelly. What he’s really looking for is yards and points per minute.

Fast might be an understatement when describing Oregon’s offense. When they’re really going, they get plays off in five seconds. Oregon fans will boo the chain gang moving the sticks on the sideline because they are holding up the offense. Oregon players tell tales of defenders saying that if the Ducks go any faster they’re going to vomit or pass out.

Kelly’s practices are the stuff of legend. There is no need for wind sprints because no one stands around. At all. Not the players, not the coaches. Music is blaring. The defense sometimes plays with 25 players so the offense can get more precise.

It’s dizzying by design. The games are actually tranquil.

“I remember the first day he came as offensive coordinator, we started one of his drills,” Dickson said. “And he said, ‘I’m going to show you how fast I want to go. Your two-minute that you’re running here is going to be nothing compared to what I teach you.’ It was insane. I thought he was insane. I was like, ‘Nobody moves that fast.’ The only way you’re going to simulate that speed, you have to practice that way.”

If you want to see what’s next on the pro level, look to the colleges. That’s what Belichick does, with his alliances with coaches such as Nick Saban (LSU and Alabama), Urban Meyer (Florida and Ohio State) and, now, Kelly.

That’s why when Kelly walked into Gillette Stadium two years ago — and he’s been there three times total — ears perked up among the Patriots’ coaches, including Belichick.

Kelly had become friendly with former Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien while both were rising in the college ranks. The UNH coaching staff would visit Brown, where O’Brien was coaching, for pickup basketball games and to talk X’s and O’s.

Kelly told the Patriots he was moving to a no-huddle that only used one word to signify everything involved in a play.

Sideline calls take too long. Wristbands too.

One word is all that is needed.

“The things they’re doing now, they’re even faster,” Dickson said. “They have things where they can call one thing and it’s going to tell them formation, plays, everything, and all you have to see is coverage.”

The collective Patriots’ response to Kelly’s assertion was, basically, “You run an entire offense like that? How do you get the players to comprehend that?”

Kelly declined to be interviewed, but those with knowledge of the discussion said Kelly laid out his rationale.

Players memorize thousands of words in songs, hundreds of movie lines, and many other things involving pop culture.

Why can’t players have instant recall of a handful of concepts? Heck, everybody knows No. 2 on a McDonald’s menu gets you a Quarter Pounder, medium fries, and a drink.

“It’s kind of easy,” Dickson said. “It comes with repetition. A lot of guys learn different. Myself, I just needed to be out there repping those plays. The more comfortable you get, the faster you’ll go. He wants to make it easier to where you’re not thinking about anything, you’re just going fast. Make it as simple as guys can learn it so you can go really fast. That’s the key, making it simple for your players so they can play at top speed.”

Kelly’s overall message to the Patriots: Don’t put a limit on your players’ minds; they will learn whatever you teach them.

“I was interested to hear how he did it,” Belichick said. “I would say he expanded it to a different level and it was very interesting to understand what he was doing. Certainly I’ve learned a lot from talking to Chip about his experiences with it and how he does it and his procedure and all that.”

I like it. Other than the running QB part, isn't playing in a up tempo spread offense what Weeden did in college? Or we could be looking at a guy like Alex Smith. But I like the thought of having a coach who's considered an offensive genius as opposed to a turtle.

yeah 2 years at oregon. have they won the national championship? have they gone unbeaten? if you want a kelly whose team schemem is more comparable to the NFL now then look at brian kelly. turned 3 programs around.

go suck chip kelly's dick you homo uniform lovers. that's all you are.

go suck chip kelly's dick you homo uniform lovers. that's all you are.[/b]

Actually I hate Oregon's uniforms, but I like the idea of having a coach who is considered among the best at developing an offense. Brian Kelly would be a great hire as well.

If Belichick is consulting him for offensive advice, that says something. The Patriots no-huddle offense finished this season 1st in points and yds. BTW without a running QB.

Game doesn't translate to the NFL?

give me a link to where it says belichick is consulting a college QB.

he really needs chip kelly's advice on how to go no-huddle. GTFO!

I honestly don't think Kelly's offense would work in the NFL, and I really don't think any of our key offensive players (QB, RB, WR) fit his scheme. But twitter isn't really the best place to get news like this. I mean I could tweet "Browns sign Kelly", "Browns sign Gruden", "Browns sign Lovie Smith", and out of 100 tweets like that 1 has to be right? I also worry that a college coach could pull a Spurrier/Saban and stick around for 1-2 years then bolt.

I really don't care at this point who the Browns pick, I just want winning and stability! The only guys I'm strongly against are Horton and Lombardi for obvious reasons. Pick a guy and stick with him for the long haul.

we really need to get chip kelly i mean, look at those uniforms at oregon, what if we had really cooool uniforms too, lolz, i mean, omg, i love oregons uniforms they are so great, if he can have really cool uniforms at oregon then we could have really cool uniforms here at the browns too! aren't uniforms great?!

Cracks me up that the people that don't want Chip Kelly think the people that do want Chip Kelly because of Oregon's uniforms. No one gives a shit. We just want a high octane potent offense instead of this shit we've watched for years now.

Uniforms have more of a impact in college, than the NFL. In college flashy jerseys and helmets are used to attract recruits, something Oregon's connection with Nike and HGI helps take advantage of. In the NFL, teams only update jerseys for sales and teams are only allowed to have 3. So the "Oregon treatment" wouldn't work nor be encouraged in the NFL. Teams aren't trying to recruit players. Free Agents are attracted to teams because of money and winning, not uniforms. Fans buy uniforms to support their team, not because they are "cool". Do people think a Steelers or Bills fan buys jerseys based on what they look like? If that were the case teams like them with ugly jerseys would never sell anything.

If Belichick is consulting him for offensive advice, that says something. The Patriots no-huddle offense finished this season 1st in points and yds. BTW without a running QB.

Game doesn't translate to the NFL?

still waiting on that link.

@incarceratedbob just tweeted that Browns are 95% close to deal with Chip Kelly. Just working out final contract language with agent and waiting until after Fiesta Bowl to sign.

Incarcerated Bob is a numnuts blowhard who hears a rumor and runs with it- please don't quote this jackasses tweets. Likes to tout his right guesses, but clams up when he's dead wrong- which is often BTW.

we really need to get chip kelly i mean, look at those uniforms at oregon, what if we had really cooool uniforms too, lolz, i mean, omg, i love oregons uniforms they are so great, if he can have really cool uniforms at oregon then we could have really cool uniforms here at the browns too! aren't uniforms great?!

Screw the F**ks unis. What I want to know is if Kelly's uptempo offense will work in the Pros.

Archived