THE BROWNS BOARD

Candidates

The Gipper

What makes you clowns think that Cowher wants to coach? The guy has his Super Bowl ring, he's got a nice cushy job for CBS where he doesn't have to work all that hard and is probably making some pretty good money. You really think he wants to come back to 16 hour work days and all the bull shit that comes with being an NFL coach? The guy had a great career as a head coach but I would be really afraid of a guy like that who is just in it for the money and not going to put in the work, he doesn't need to prove himself to anyone. Think Holmgren in Cleveland except you want Cowher to be the coach.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why does nobody want lovie smith?...i think hes a good coach...not trying to instigate or anything im just saying i wouldnt mind him being our coach

Lovie couldn't win with the likes of Cutler,Forte,Marshall,Urlacher,Pepper Johnson Hester some big time talent...I like the guy and think he'd get us to the playoff

just kinda think he's got the Shottenhiemer thing...just can't win the big one

Lovie couldn't win with the likes of Cutler,Forte,Marshall,Urlacher,Pepper Johnson Hester some big time talent...I like the guy and think he'd get us to the playoff

just kinda think he's got the Shottenhiemer thing...just can't win the big one

As far as I'm concerned, "the big one" is win number 11.

Jimmy Donovan reported after the press conference that Saban is the top choice for Haslam and that TruckerJim is willing to offer Saban 10 million a year

Carpet Bagger...OK...Come to Cleveland win 3 championships in 6 yrs like he gonna do in Tuscaloosa then move on...I'll take that

Um, Saban has already flopped once in the Pros, plus he's on the high side of 60. Bring in a young guy- Kid Shanahan fits my thinking. If you're hiring a guy for the long haul, Saban ain't it.

Two high-ranking #NFL personnel execs say Oregon HC Chip Kelly is the clear #1 choice for the Browns.

per Adam Caplan on twitter.

1) Don't believe a damn thing ESPN tweets.

2) Kelley pluses workaholic, smart.

3) Doubts hyperspeed Oregon offense will work in pros. Is he adaptable enough to fit scheme to talent?

Honestly I'd be happy with any of the following

1 - Arians - Do I need to expand upon this?

2 - Gruden - I know he is high on Weeden. I think an offseason with Weeden would be beneficial to both as well as the team and the fanbase. If anyone can reach him, I think it's Gruden.

3 - Saban - I'm in the camp that thinks he has one thing left to prove, and that's victory in the NFL. I hope so.

4 - O'Brien/Kelly - These guys did a stellar job with their respective teams. I feel that their talents would translate to the NFL.

5 - Shanahan - I think he may well be the next Harbaugh.

Can we please stop with Cowher, he is not coming to Cleveland. Neither is Gruden even thou we have a better chance in Gruden than Cowher. I do not understand the love affair with him. Because he coached for the Browns back in the day??

All I want so someone with some fire in the Belly. Yes Cowher did have that, but not anymore

Would I take Cowher 10 years ago?? Yes, now hell no

Would I take Holgrem 10 years agao?? Yes, now hell no

come on people

@AdamSchefter:

Syracuse HC Doug Marrone is scheduled to interview this week for Browns' HC and also will interview for Bills' HC.

Yeah, saw that too- and WTF???? Guy has a couple 8-5 seasons at Syracuse, "big" wins in the Pinstripe Bowl and all of a sudden, he's NFL HC material?

Yeah, saw that too- and WTF???? Guy has a couple 8-5 seasons at Syracuse, "big" wins in the Pinstripe Bowl and all of a sudden, he's NFL HC material?

I wonder the same thing you do. As I see it, any college coach should be dominant at that level to be considered as an NFL HC, but what do I know? We'll see.

Mike

At this point, does it hurt to interview him? Probably not. All the guys we really want are either in the playoffs or preparing for bowl games. I wouldn't expect any big names in town for at least a week.

Also, as per Adam Caplan on twitter

Two high-ranking #NFL personnel execs say Oregon HC Chip Kelly is the clear #1 choice for the Browns.

At this point, does it hurt to interview him? Probably not. All the guys we really want are either in the playoffs or preparing for bowl games. I wouldn't expect any big names in town for at least a week.

Chip Kelly would be a great hire. I still think it was a mistake to let Heckert go tho.

Totally agree...SloLerner made a habit of falling in love with his first interview Romeo,Mangini,Holmgren...When you've sucked for this long getting several perspectives on how to

fix this thing should be encouraged

Go get Lovie Smith! He got a raw deal in Chicago and took a team to the SB with friggin Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton running the show. We have the pieces in place and I would love to see him get our D going. He could bring Ron Rivera with him if he is fired in Carolina, or his former DC Rod Marinelli.

Go get Lovie Smith! He got a raw deal in Chicago and took a team to the SB with friggin Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton running the show. We have the pieces in place and I would love to see him get our D going. He could bring Ron Rivera with him if he is fired in Carolina, or his former DC Rod Marinelli.

:) If nothing else, you interview Lovie to satisfy the Rozell rule. MHO is Lovie is Schottenheimer II.

per Adam Caplan on twitter.

fuck chip kelley. how about brian kelley? which one in your minds coaches a more pro style offense? chip kelly's offense WILL NOT WORK in the nfl. also how many years do you think it would take the browns to acquire all the players with the speed on that oregon team. it'd take years.

the line about lovie smith that bugged me is over his nine year stint as HC of the bears they only once had an offense that ranked IN THE TEENS. meaning the rest of those years they were in the bottom half of the NFL.

no thanks.

hell if you want to talk obscure college HC possibilities.

frank solich of ohio

clawson at BGSU

matt campbell of toledo

any of those guys i'd take over doug marrone.

cowher is not coming back to coaching. gruden is an outright psycho and no one would want to deal with him on any level (maybe after interviewing in person they'll realize this, but all they have to do is look at tapes of monday night football to realize he has lost his mind). fuck o'brien he has done nothing.

so for all those names you've listed the only one that intrigues me is shanahan jr. and about mcdaniels: in his tweete the key word in his statement was NOW. not that he wouldn't interview after their season. just he won't interview now.

also, everyone forgets the likes of billick and mangini.

I suspect Banner and Haslam looked at candidates everywhere they might be available and came up with a short list. Interview everyone and see who impresses you. Interviewing is an interesting thing. Often you learn surprising things from the candidates that can help clarify exactly what you are looking for even if you thought you already knew.

I think the more interesting discussion would be the answer to this question: if you were interviewing Cleveland Browns coaching candidates, what specific questions would you ask?

SPECIFIC questions. Not vague things like "I'd ask about ___________." How would you determine if the individual possesses strong leadership? Attention to detail? Their vision of the next steps in the development of the team? Making the transition for the players? Developing relationships within a new organization?

If you were the candidate, what questions would you ask of Haslam? How would you prepare for the interview?

More interesting than wild guesses, third hand reports of other folks' guesses and arbitrary criticisms of people we know only via tv.

here's my questions

its 3rd and 8

do you a) throw a 2 yard dump off

b ) hb draw for 2 yards

c) throw the ball >= 8 yards

there is 47 seconds left til halftime, you have the ball on your own 20, your down 7, and you have all your timeouts

do you a) run out the clock

b ) punt

c) go into your hurry up offense and try to at the very least get into field goal range

its 1st and goal, how many downs should it take for you to get into the endzone

a) <= 4

b ) 5-6

c) none of the above, settle for the field goal

its halftime, you're up 10, coming out of the half, do you

a) play prevent defense and run as much of the clock down running dives and going 3 and out

b ) keep the pedal to the medal, keep attacking on offense, and apply pressure on defense

c) forfeit

you draw up a pass play, your quarterback has three options

a) check down even though gordon is wide open in the endzone

b ) stand around for 8-12 seconds then throw the ball away

c) hit your wide open receiver in the end zone

Totally agree...SloLerner made a habit of falling in love with his first interview Romeo,Mangini,Holmgren...When you've sucked for this long getting several perspectives on how to

fix this thing should be encouraged

Lets not forget Lerner is a friend of Robert Kraft and was enamored with "The patriot way"...Well do what BB did...Luck out and get Tom Brady.

i love all these fucknuts on here bashing chip kelleys offense, go look at new englands offensive stats this year, and tell me again how it won't work in the nfl.

you heard it in the media and you're just some brainless parrot.

fucking numbskulls

what does the new england offense and the oregon ducks have to do with each other BIRD BRAIN?

do you think in any way that the new england patriots and the oregon ducks mirror each other. GTFO!

who's the numbskull now?

you probably like the ducks because of their 10 different style uniforms they wear. queef.

the ducks are based on speed. there's not one NFL team that has as much speed as they do. so chip kelly will come in here and automatically turn TR gordon and little into track stars?

if the browns were stoopid enuff to hire that guy then the fans better be ready for ten years of player cuts, staff changes, and reaches in the draft. go d help us all.

i love all these fucknuts on here bashing chip kelleys offense, go look at new englands offensive stats this year, and tell me again how it won't work in the nfl.

you heard it in the media and you're just some brainless parrot.

fucking numbskulls

That offense in NE is from Bill O'Brien, not Chip Kelley. O'Brien worked on that offense from 2007-2011 and was the playcaller for NE from 2009-2011

Archived