THE BROWNS BOARD

2013 Nfl Draft Discussion

mdmusch

I doubt Jacksonville gives up on Gabbert when the QB crop this year doesn't include a blue chip player. They need all kinds of help on their defense.

I think that the Browns stay away from WR (since they have invested a lot high picks) and let Little, Gordon, and Benjamin develop. They do need another pass rusher and I would like it to be Jones, just so he could play as a LB most of the time and as a down lineman on obvious passing downs. Having a versatile guy that the coaching staff can move around would help this defense out tremendously. Cornerback is another position that needs to be addressed; Skrine is terrible on the outside and decent as a nickelback, he should never be put outside.

I'd like to see

Round 1: OLB/DE

Round 3: CB

Round 4: OLB/DE (whichever was not used prior)

Even fans of the winningest of teams look at their team and speculate on where they can fill holes. There is no reason for Steeler fans even to not look at their squad and say "we can sure use a free safety...or whatever".

Draft?!?! Draft?!?! Are you kidding me?!?! Draft?!?! I'm more concerned about play-offs. As a matter fact I won't even begin thinking about the "draft" until I'm a few weeks out from the Super Bowl and going through football withdrawl. The draft has no bearing on this season and frankly isn't very interesting. Every teams fans drafted the best players ever to play the game, who are all destined for the hall fame before they even take one snap with their new team.

Besides, what do Steelers fans really have to look forward to in the draft? We are always drafting late in the first round and rarely get the buzz of picking a top 5 college talent. Polamalu was the last time we moved up to get a player in the first round. Show me what prognosticator had predicted the Steelers would take "DeCastro" last year. Unless you follow and analyze college football (which I don't) most football fans are like why did they draft so-and-so? I let paid professionals worry about who to draft for the most part.

Draft?!?! Draft?!?! Are you kidding me?!?! Draft?!?! I'm more concerned about play-offs. As a matter fact I won't even begin thinking about the "draft" until I'm a few weeks out from the Super Bowl and going through football withdrawl. The draft has no bearing on this season and frankly isn't very interesting. Every teams fans drafted the best players ever to play the game, who are all destined for the hall fame before they even take one snap with their new team.

Besides, what do Steelers fans really have to look forward to in the draft? We are always drafting late in the first round and rarely get the buzz of picking a top 5 college talent. Polamalu was the last time we moved up to get a player in the first round. Show me what prognosticator had predicted the Steelers would take "DeCastro" last year. Unless you follow and analyze college football (which I don't) most football fans are like why did they draft so-and-so? I let paid professionals worry about who to draft for the most part.

Well, I think there is a key right there....you don't follow college football. For those of us who do we can and do look at college players to see if a good player could perhaps fit in with our pro team. I don't always drink beer, but when I do I choose Dos Equis. I don't always just watch college football to figure out who will be good in the pros, but when I do, I do keep in mind how a player may do.

That is one of the reasons I say...good for the Browns for taking Weeden because I see no college QB that will come out that I think can be as good as him.

Also, when your team is 2-7, yes, you do think of the future.

Maybe the Steelers not paying attention to the college game is one reason they are getting old.

They have 8 games left. Four of those are against the Browns and Ravens and another against the Bengals. Those will not be easy games, at all.

As far as I can see, the one thing the Steelers have going for them in their playoff run is the fact that the rest of the AFC is really not that good. They could make the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

I doubt Jacksonville gives up on Gabbert when the QB crop this year doesn't include a blue chip player. They need all kinds of help on their defense.

yep. defense and OL. gabbert was running for his life (sorta like mccoy) on every play his rookie year. they CAN"T afford not to stick with him with all the holes they need to fill (my argument against the weeden pick this year).

speaking of OL (ghoolie and rich) how's philly's OL looking? so much for anyone can play OL, huh? and the only starter who was left just went out for the year? (if i was michael vick i'd be asking to please put the rookie in). who ever is still around or their new GM will be wheeling and dealing to get some OL next year.

We are not getting any pressure on opposing QB's. If we have better coverage we get more coverage sacks. But if we get a great LB maybe we get more pressure and the CB doesn't need to be a first rounder. Either way we win, I hope.

Yeah we have faced some pretty tough teams and have yet to have both of our starting tackles play a game together (and have been missing both of our starting outside linebackers all year) which would have helped. On the bright side, the rookies are getting a lot of valuable experience in the trenches. A lot of what we do depends on who is making the decisions come draft day. If I remember correctly, it is Heckert's philosophy that secondary players like corners are of high value early and tend to be surer things as picks. I would rank the Browns top 5 draft needs in order of importance as CB, DE, FS, LB, and OG. I am encouraged by JMJ's skills and think he can play in the NFL plus we will get Gocong back for next year.

Yeah we have faced some pretty tough teams and have yet to have both of our starting tackles play a game together (and have been missing both of our starting outside linebackers all year) which would have helped. On the bright side, the rookies are getting a lot of valuable experience in the trenches. A lot of what we do depends on who is making the decisions come draft day. If I remember correctly, it is Heckert's philosophy that secondary players like corners are of high value early and tend to be surer things as picks. I would rank the Browns top 5 draft needs in order of importance as CB, DE, FS, LB, and OG. I am encouraged by JMJ's skills and think he can play in the NFL plus we will get Gocong back for next year.

i'd much rather grab the LB from bama with our high pick. played in the toughest conference in college ball, so we know he's NFL ready.

whose the best corner in college ball right now? (asking?)

i know if mathieu hadn't have F'd up he'd be a top 20 pick next year, maybe top ten the way he was lighting it up last year.

i'd much rather grab the LB from bama with our high pick. played in the toughest conference in college ball, so we know he's NFL ready.

whose the best corner in college ball right now? (asking?)

i know if mathieu hadn't have F'd up he'd be a top 20 pick next year, maybe top ten the way he was lighting it up last year.

Most draft experts have your pick's teammate at Alabama, Dee Milliner, rated the best corner in the draft. Xavier Rhodes and Johnathan Banks seem to be the next best corners in the upcoming draft. I have only seen Milliner play and he impressed me in the LSU game. I did not see the ball thrown his way, and he made a couple of nice plays coming off of blitzes too. Mathieu is going to enter the draft in all probability. It will be interesting to see how all of his issues and not playing football this year affects his draft position. If he is available for the right price, I would not mind grabbing him and resigning Sheldon Brown so the kid can get acclimated to the NFL. I am no expert on talent, just giving my opinion about where the Browns are at and where their needs are.

You think the Jags will too?

I mean Blaine Gabbert hasn't set the world on fire, but his stats indicate he's been pretty decent this year. 9:5 TD:INT ratio. his completion percentage is up about 8% and his passer rating is at about 78, the his Total QB Rating is like 20.

He's younger than Luck, Tannehill, and obviously Weeden.

He's only a month older than Russel Wilson, a few months older than Robert Griffen.

He is at the rookie age. I would be surprised if they gave up on him. That team needs a lot of help, and this is coming from a Browns fan. His top receivers are Cecil Shorts III (a kid from Mount Union taken in the 4th round 2-3 years ago I believe), Laurent Robinson (Has really only had one good year, last year), and Justin Blackmon (Who has had a tough time adjusting to the NFL it seems), and then there is Marcedes Lewis who had one good year. Now he does have MoJo, but his lack of receivers isn't helping him.

Not saying they won't go QB, but this QB class kind of sucks. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Collin Klein? IDK man.

That's a fair argument, but reading into some draft guru sites it seems to me that most people in and out of the organization think he's a dud. I watched most of that game last night (the first game I've ever watched of him to be fair) and he looks nothing more than average, a little below average. He might turn into a game manager type QB but the days of those types winning titles in the NFL is over. I know there isn't an Andrew Luck type prospect this year but at this point I'd be shocked personally if they didn't go QB.

My gut tells me that Barkley is going to get mad hyped and go number 1 to the jags or chiefs. I'm not endorsing the guy but that's how QB's always go.

That's a fair argument, but reading into some draft guru sites it seems to me that most people in and out of the organization think he's a dud. I watched most of that game last night (the first game I've ever watched of him to be fair) and he looks nothing more than average, a little below average. He might turn into a game manager type QB but the days of those types winning titles in the NFL is over. I know there isn't an Andrew Luck type prospect this year but at this point I'd be shocked personally if they didn't go QB.

My gut tells me that Barkley is going to get mad hyped and go number 1 to the jags or chiefs. I'm not endorsing the guy but that's how QB's always go.

Perhaps....and from what I see, Barkley is a Colt McCoy clone...but not as good. Same height/weight, not as mobile, and a weaker arm than Colt.

Overrated...clap, clap, clap, clap clap. Overrated..clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

Jarvis Jones would be ideal though. Then again more picks would be nice. DE and DB should be taken first and then a Safety. Also, Weeden could be dumped with the change of command. So we could be looking at drafting another 1st round QB.

Most draft experts have your pick's teammate at Alabama, Dee Milliner, rated the best corner in the draft. Xavier Rhodes and Johnathan Banks seem to be the next best corners in the upcoming draft. I have only seen Milliner play and he impressed me in the LSU game. I did not see the ball thrown his way, and he made a couple of nice plays coming off of blitzes too. Mathieu is going to enter the draft in all probability. It will be interesting to see how all of his issues and not playing football this year affects his draft position. If he is available for the right price, I would not mind grabbing him and resigning Sheldon Brown so the kid can get acclimated to the NFL. I am no expert on talent, just giving my opinion about where the Browns are at and where their needs are.

Yeah not sure whats happened to Amerson guy is a ballhawk and big.. He was a top 15 pick to start season now I've seen him in the 3rd..

Perhaps....and from what I see, Barkley is a Colt McCoy clone...but not as good. Same height/weight, not as mobile, and a weaker arm than Colt.

if barkley has a weaker arm than mccoy then that must mean mccoy can throw for 60+ down the field. have you even seen any of USC's game highlights? sure having two top ten WRs makes his life easier but i hate people that say if you don't throw the ball a hundred yards you suck as a QB. i doubt half of the best (perceived) QBs that ever played the game threw balls greater than 60 yards DTF. unitas, elway, marino had BIG ASS arms and could do that on a regular. but i've seen these off day NFL QB challenge types of shows and the only one now i see throwing it longer than 60 is rodgers and now maybe luck. montana didn't do it.

all this BS about strong armed blah blah blah is just that. bullshit.

that being said COLLIN KLEIN will be someone's next 15 year franchise QB.take that to the bank.

too bad we wasted a pick on weeden last year and gave up 3 picks for TR cuz we probably coulda nailed him in next year'sdraft.

haslam's boy banner even showed his cards saying weeden only has 7 more games to prove himself. kinda sucks being under the gun huh ( like mangini, shurmur, weeden and now even heckert.)

mathieu single handedly won that game vs. alabama the first go round last year.

if barkley has a weaker arm than mccoy then that must mean mccoy can throw for 60+ down the field. have you even seen any of USC's game highlights? sure having two top ten WRs makes his life easier but i hate people that say if you don't throw the ball a hundred yards you suck as a QB. i doubt half of the best (perceived) QBs that ever played the game threw balls greater than 60 yards DTF. unitas, elway, marino had BIG ASS arms and could do that on a regular. but i've seen these off day NFL QB challenge types of shows and the only one now i see throwing it longer than 60 is rodgers and now maybe luck. montana didn't do it.

all this BS about strong armed blah blah blah is just that. bullshit.

that being said COLLIN KLEIN will be someone's next 15 year franchise QB.take that to the bank.

too bad we wasted a pick on weeden last year and gave up 3 picks for TR cuz we probably coulda nailed him in next year'sdraft.

haslam's boy banner even showed his cards saying weeden only has 7 more games to prove himself. kinda sucks being under the gun huh ( like mangini, shurmur, weeden and now even heckert.)

[b]There isn't a single QB coming out this year that remotely looks as qualified to be an NFL QB as Brandon Weeden. I thought Geno Smith may have had that ability...and maybe he does, but he sure tailed off after a fast start. Barkely/Klein/whoever, none look as good as Weedon....and its not that I am that high on Weeden, I just think he is a lot better than the crop coming out.[/b]

[b]There isn't a single QB coming out this year that remotely looks as qualified to be an NFL QB as Brandon Weeden. I thought Geno Smith may have had that ability...and maybe he does, but he sure tailed off after a fast start. Barkely/Klein/whoever, none look as good as Weedon....and its not that I am that high on Weeden, I just think he is a lot better than the crop coming out.[/b]

^ This

Browns should consider OLB (Jarvis Jones) in 1st, CB in 3rd, FS in 4th

Gocong will probably be cut, coming in after an injury with close to $4.5 Million or next year.

That could very well be true. It has been a tough year for the D with all of the missing personnel.

Could Te'o play strongside backer or is he strictly a middle candidate?

I really couldn't say. He did move from outside to inside linebacker when Notre Dame switched to a 3-4 in 2010.

Yeah not sure whats happened to Amerson guy is a ballhawk and big.. He was a top 15 pick to start season now I've seen him in the 3rd..

There is an article on Bleacher Report (I don't like the site at all) that says he has been awful so far this season.

mathieu single handedly won that game vs. alabama the first go round last year.

My concern with him is size. He is only 5-9 and 175 lbs. according to stats online. That is not big enough to get physical at the line or make plays in jump ball/over the top situations versus NFL receivers.

What I would like done in the offseason

Resign:

- Sheldon Brown

- Alex Smith

- L.J. Fort

- Phil Dawson

- Ray Ventrone

- Josh Cooper

Cut:

- Chris Gocong

Main Free Agency Acquisitions:

- Greg Jennings... Go hard after him even though he is a bit injury prone lately, he is still a great receiver when healthy. The Packers will probably let him go. We need to see the commitment to building the offense and winning. The offense would have a great four wide set with Jennings, Gordon, Little, and Benjamin.

- Michael Huff... He will need to be cut by the Raiders, but with a lot coming in salary and a huge bonus (I believe $4 mil), that is likely to happen. While he's not going to set the world on fire, he would immediately step in at FS and be a good deep coverage safety.

- Charlie Johnson... The Vikings might bring him back, but if not, the Browns should look to fill the LG spot with him. He can play tackle or guard.

Draft:

Round One: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M

Round Three: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

Round Four: Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida

Round Five: Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Round Six: Kyle Long, OT/OG, Oregon

Round Seven: Jackson Rice, P, Oregon

- The actual players can be debatable; I just included them for fun... The positions for each round, however, are what I would actually like to see. CB and DE could be exchanged between rounds one and three.

Archived