THE BROWNS BOARD

2013 Nfl Draft Discussion

mdmusch

I'm posting this because it's half way through the season, and barring a miracle the Browns will be picking 1-7 again, so really we can discuss everyone and everything. We now have seen the Browns weaknesses and the potential crop of players.

Mel Kiper released an interesting tidbit on the Midseason NFL Draft Preview. He had the Browns taking Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama. This is the first I've seen where the Browns are not taking a DE or a LB, and to be honest, I like it. He probably could be had if the Browns would trade down a couple picks and gain maybe an extra 3rd or 4th in the process. This would solidify the offensive line, since the interior has been leaving a lot to be desired. The draft is deep at DE, allowing the Browns to pick a pass rusher up in the 3rd.

Right now I still would prefer Jarvis Jones, but if the Jaguars continue to lose, it seems as if they will pick up the best defensive player.

With this draft, it would be best to trade down, since it is lacking a true blue chip player. But that also hurts the chances that a team will trade up.

My players to watch:

Jarvis Jones, Georgia, OLB - Probably the best pure player in the draft. He is a linebacker that has great size and speed to go along with well-rounded play, including impact pass rush ability.

Chance Warmack, Alabama, OG - Could step right in and allow the Browns to improve their interior run blocking.

Damontre Moore, Texas A&M, DE - Absolutely dominating in his first year as a 4-3 DE, a high motor player with great instincts.

Dion Jordan, Oregon, DE/OLB - This guy is an interesting prospect because he moves all over the field. His versatility is amazing: he covers, takes great angles, rushes the passer, and routinely makes the right call on the field.

Kenny Vaccaro, Texas, FS - A good candidate for early third rounder. He has great size (6-1, 218) and makes plays all over the field.

As I watch almost every game for Wisconsin and Oregon a few prospects that jump out are the following: Kenjon Barner (RB UO), Kiko Alonso (OLB UO), Kyle Long (OT UO), and Mike Taylor (OLB UW). Barner has always impressed me with his patience and vision. With those traits combined with his acceleration, probably will make up for his lack of size.

I'm posting this because it's half way through the season, and barring a miracle the Browns will be picking 1-7 again, so really we can discuss everyone and everything. We now have seen the Browns weaknesses and the potential crop of players.

Mel Kiper released an interesting tidbit on the Midseason NFL Draft Preview. He had the Browns taking Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama. This is the first I've seen where the Browns are not taking a DE or a LB, and to be honest, I like it. He probably could be had if the Browns would trade down a couple picks and gain maybe an extra 3rd or 4th in the process. This would solidify the offensive line, since the interior has been leaving a lot to be desired. The draft is deep at DE, allowing the Browns to pick a pass rusher up in the 3rd.

Right now I still would prefer Jarvis Jones, but if the Jaguars continue to lose, it seems as if they will pick up the best defensive player.

With this draft, it would be best to trade down, since it is lacking a true blue chip player. But that also hurts the chances that a team will trade up.

My players to watch:

Jarvis Jones, Georgia, OLB - Probably the best pure player in the draft. He is a linebacker that has great size and speed to go along with well-rounded play, including impact pass rush ability.

Chance Warmack, Alabama, OG - Could step right in and allow the Browns to improve their interior run blocking.

Damontre Moore, Texas A&M, DE - Absolutely dominating in his first year as a 4-3 DE, a high motor player with great instincts.

Dion Jordan, Oregon, DE/OLB - This guy is an interesting prospect because he moves all over the field. His versatility is amazing: he covers, takes great angles, rushes the passer, and routinely makes the right call on the field.

Kenny Vaccaro, Texas, FS - A good candidate for early third rounder. He has great size (6-1, 218) and makes plays all over the field.

As I watch almost every game for Wisconsin and Oregon a few prospects that jump out are the following: Kenjon Barner (RB UO), Kiko Alonso (OLB UO), Kyle Long (OT UO), and Mike Taylor (OLB UW). Barner has always impressed me with his patience and vision. With those traits combined with his acceleration, probably will make up for his lack of size.

Its so hard projecting these things.. I would hate to see us draft a oline man that high in the draft again. I would rather us plug the oline through free agency. Plus we really need some play makers still on the defensive side. I would love a stud LB or DL.

I just hope the new GM gets it right. I think we are on the cusp.

Its so hard projecting these things.. I would hate to see us draft a oline man that high in the draft again. I would rather us plug the oline through free agency. Plus we really need some play makers still on the defensive side. I would love a stud LB or DL.

I just hope the new GM gets it right. I think we are on the cusp.

Check. A year ago at this time RGIII was considered a second or third rounder....instead of #2 overall.

Nevertheless, I am not an advocate of trading down very far. If they go only a few spots down I would expect to get at least a 2d round pick. A precedent for that was set with the Julio Jones trade.

The Browns might need an OG, but not at a top 5 pick. They need defense. LBs, DEs, DBs. Jones, Mingo, Teo, Millner, Montgomery, Bjoern Werner. How about one of each.

While it is difficult to speculate what the Browns might do because we don't know who the GM and Coach will be ... if we drafted a Guard in the first round I would puke.

We've got three first rounders on the front line, they are playing well, Greco is filling in well, we will have too many other needs to have the luxury of drafting a guard in the first round..

We need just about everything on defense.

Zombo

Wow, I'm totally shocked...you guys made it to the mid-point of the season before starting this thread!?!?

There is always a draft thread on here. A couple of weeks ago there was one. Trust me, the NFL teams see the draft as a year round endeavor and so do the fans. Plus, it is this time of year that we can see the college players performing.

Even fans of the winningest of teams look at their team and speculate on where they can fill holes. There is no reason for Steeler fans even to not look at their squad and say "we can sure use a free safety...or whatever".

When you watch your team play you see where the weaknesses are...or where the older players are that you expect to be phased out. Though he may play every game we sure do see where Sheldon Brown is getting older and that he will need to be replaced by a new dynamic CB that the team most likely will get in the draft. I mean, if Steeler fans are not seeing and thinking about the fact that some of your dinosaurs are getting creeky, you aren't paying attention to your team.

Nothing wrong with that.

I would like to see the Browns bring in CB (Dee Milliner impressed me in the LSU game) in the 1st round. Sheldon Brown is aging and is at the end of his contract (I am not saying that we shouldn't resign him), and I think that some competition would do Joe Haden good. Also, compared to a LB, I think that CB is a more valuable position to have a standout in.

I would like to see a new CB opposite Haden and a another OLB I also like Mike Taylor. I don't care which way we go first. I trust that the people in charge under the new owner will make the correct choice. If we could trade down once or twice and add a second round pick and maybe another third or fourth that would be huge for us. It is better to build quality through the draft than through free agency. If we have a high pick I would hope they make a trade and get good value then take the best player available impact player. We need a LB or CB the most IMO but if there is somebody sitting there that we think is an impact player at D-end or on the oline or even WR I say we take them. We need impact players. But what the heck do I know.....?

Right now 1 in each round other than 2 (Josh Gordon) this doesnt include possible consempatory picks.

we have a conditional pick this year from Philly for david sims. probably 7th round YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see the Browns bring in CB (Dee Milliner impressed me in the LSU game) in the 1st round. Sheldon Brown is aging and is at the end of his contract (I am not saying that we shouldn't resign him), and I think that some competition would do Joe Haden good. Also, compared to a LB, I think that CB is a more valuable position to have a standout in.

We are not getting any pressure on opposing QB's. If we have better coverage we get more coverage sacks. But if we get a great LB maybe we get more pressure and the CB doesn't need to be a first rounder. Either way we win, I hope.

If the Browns draft pretty high -

I'd love a trade down for extra picks, if it

wasn't too far a drop, for the Browns to

get the player they wanted, plus an extra first rounder.

An OG in the first round would be so stupid...

that won't happen.

But, if Jarvis Jones ? is the guy, and very well may be...

I don't see a trade down.

Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

I think our biggest need is a DE who can get pressure, that makes the CBs better by default. We do need another CB as well. If we get a new GM maybe we try to pick up a decent CB in FA if any available. I don't see us trading down unless we have one of the top 3 picks, else stay pat, get the top DE in the draft and take a corner with the 3rd round pick.

Another person to look at is Bowling Greens DT/DE Chris Jones who is leading the nation in sacks with 11.5 and is helping the Falcons post a 9th ranked defense in college football. He isn't some big fish in a small pond guy either. He represented American in the Junior International Football game against the best American players vs the best Canadian/International players when he was recruited out of high school. He should fall just because he played for BG but someone to look at.

Being a BG student, I could get behind that!

I'd like to see a DE with the first pick and pick up a CB in free agency. That would give us a chance to have one of the best defenses in the league if it happened. Then add a guy like De'Anthony Thomas or Tavon Austin whom you can move around in the slot or lined up in the backfield like a Percy Harvin type role with the next pick. We get some ballers at them three positions and were contenders next year.

have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

have you taken a look at our linebacking corp.?

sure there were a couple of surprises IN A COUPLE OF GAMES where jmj or fort made some plays but the only real LB we got is DQ and he is getting up there and gets injured almost every year.

BY FAR they are the weakest corp on the team.

Agree, we need play maker lbs bad..

At this point based on where we would draft, there's no way we could wrong with Te'o or Jarvis Jones. KC and the Jags will likely go QB, and panthers just went LB in the last draft and desperately need a safety/CB.

You think the Jags will too?

I mean Blaine Gabbert hasn't set the world on fire, but his stats indicate he's been pretty decent this year. 9:5 TD:INT ratio. his completion percentage is up about 8% and his passer rating is at about 78, the his Total QB Rating is like 20.

He's younger than Luck, Tannehill, and obviously Weeden.

He's only a month older than Russel Wilson, a few months older than Robert Griffen.

He is at the rookie age. I would be surprised if they gave up on him. That team needs a lot of help, and this is coming from a Browns fan. His top receivers are Cecil Shorts III (a kid from Mount Union taken in the 4th round 2-3 years ago I believe), Laurent Robinson (Has really only had one good year, last year), and Justin Blackmon (Who has had a tough time adjusting to the NFL it seems), and then there is Marcedes Lewis who had one good year. Now he does have MoJo, but his lack of receivers isn't helping him.

Not saying they won't go QB, but this QB class kind of sucks. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Collin Klein? IDK man.

I agree with most the posts here, but we do not need to draft a WR this year. Esentially, we already did (Gordon). The debate between drafting DE and CB is an interesting one, but trully they are equally essential to limiting the opponent's passing game. OLB or CB are the big picks. We might have the option to draft J.Jones or D.Milner. Either would be great.

We have a lot of parts on offense, so other than maybe a 3rd/4th round O-lineman, I would hit hard on D....pass rushers be it DE or OLB and defensive backs with virtually all the other picks

Jarvis Jones or Dee Milner would be a good start.

Honestly lets hope Weeden continues to improve.

The last two games have been terrible. He needs to finish strong to show he is the guy.. Or maybe we take another QB high. Which wouldnt be ideal but having the franchise guy is the key to winning.

If the new GM comes in and thinks he is not the guy or there is someone better, it could happen.

My concern on Weeden is his body language at times. Two things that stand out also is his two minute drives in close cames. When down to the Eagles and Ravens he air mailed the ball.

Archived